This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ori = Satan, =/= RC Church?

From when they first debuted on SG-1 right up until this morning I always looked at the Ori and their storyarc as SG's adaptation of the Christian/Catholic Church..... especially during the Middle Ages... and there are notable parallels... the use of fire as iconography, a religious book, "convert or die", etc...

but after spending this past week listenging to TSO's Beethoven's Last Night (a rock opera in which Beethoven is confronted by Satan and given a "sell your soul for glory" type deal)... i came to the concept this morning that the Ori may not be the Catholic church..... but may actually be representative of Satan....
    and the Ancient-Ori saga would be allegorical for the Yahweh-Lucifer dynamic in Christian dogma...

throughout the Old Testament, the Judeo-Christian God and his angels interfered routinely in the events of Man... talking to Adam and Eve, flooding the Earth for Noah, helping the Israelites to escape Egypt, staying Abraham's hand, the tales of Raphael in the Book of Tobit, etc.... but, come the New Testament, God made a new covenant with humanity, one of "non interferance"...... sound familiar?

the Ancients obviously interfered with life in the MW and PG galaxies before their ascension to a higher plane... but once they ascended, they developed a non-interferance policy
    this is similar to Jesus ascending into Heaven and no longer interfering with humanity like They did in the OT...

Lucifer (aka Satan, obviously), however, still maintained his policies of interferance... of corrupting the souls of men and women, of doing whatever he could to win the battle against God... and one of his greatest tricks is to promise you everything, and then never carrying through with it, or inserting a loophole to screw you over etc...... sound familiar?

we know the Ori have a direct interference policy... they will do whatever they can to bring people over to their side to increase in power so they can take on their nemeses, the Ancients.... just like Satan

the Ancients have stepped back and let us exert our free will and do what we can to care for ourselves, to reap what we sow...... just like God's policies after the New Testament

so while it is - on the surface - somewhat evident that the Ori are representative of the Christian Church in the Middle Ages....... it can also be argued that they are in fact an adaptation of the Devil, with the Ancients being adaptive of God
    (after all, it could be said that the Devil had corrupted the politicians of the Church in the Middle Ages)

what do you think?
    Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
    Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
    Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
    Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

When I saw the thread title I cringed expecting to see another thread belittling Christianity as a whole, which is always unfortunate to see. I generally like to keep religion and fiction in completely separate realms!

That being said, this is a very interesting analogy that would fit in quite nicely with the religious analogies we've commonly seen in the Stargate realm.
    sigpic

Comment

Quite interesting, Do think that these are the lines the writers were thinking along when writing the Ori story Arc

Comment

Interesting, never thought of it like this. But what are the Goa'uld then or the Wraith or the Replicators, or the Tok'Ra, or the Nox, or the Asgard?

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Ads View Post
          Quite interesting, Do think that these are the lines the writers were thinking along when writing the Ori story Arc
          given that SG-1 was built upon a reimagining of Earth's mythologies (egyptian and norse being most prominent, followed by greco-roman, with touches of other worldly ones, including Arthurian Legend), it would only make sense for them to have used Judaism and/or Christianity at some point.... and i do believe that they used Christianity as the basis for the Ori......... the "convert or die" mentality was HUGE in the Middle Ages, especially the Spanish Inquisition.... "convert or burn" is still a common "marketing campaign" used today by the misinformed "christians".... the Book of Origin is obviously based upon religious texts like the Bible, Torah, Talmud, Qu'ran - just look at how Daniel explains to to Tomin....

so for a long time i thought the Ori were representative of the Christian (and later Catholic) church.......

but now i'm not so sure.... or maybe i just found parallels

Comment

wouldn't it be a little TOO convenient and obvious if based on the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              wouldn't it be a little TOO convenient and obvious if based on the same thing?
              no... especially not when they adapted Egyptian myths so blatantly

Comment

Good thread idea.

I see the Ori as representing everything bad about either side of the religion issue. There are parallels with the idea of Satan, as well as allusions to some unsavory aspects of organized religion throughout history. I feel like they did a pretty god job of pointing out bad aspects of many things without offending anyone's personal dogma.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

Originally posted by Ganthet Jr. View Post
                  Good thread idea.

I see the Ori as representing everything bad about either side of the religion issue. There are parallels with the idea of Satan, as well as allusions to some unsavory aspects of organized religion throughout history. I feel like they did a pretty god job of pointing out bad aspects of many things without offending anyone's personal dogma.
                  indeed!
                  though, RELIGION is rarely the problem
                  in fact organized religion is rarely if ever the problem

it is the people in charge, the people at the top who are the problem, the people who do not pay attention, the people who twist, distort, and outright change the message of their faith to suit their own needs that are the problem.....

Comment

Agreed, sorta. Lol.

IF a religion is true, then you are correct. It's not an aspect of the religion itself that is to blame, just whoever is screwing it up.

IF a religion is not true, then, while it's still the fault of whoever is further screwing it up, the religion's existence in the first place definitely didn't help.

Lots of "ifs". :-)

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

I don't think the Ori were strictly supposed to represent either. Daniel comments about how their symbol is fire, and how on Earth that came to represent demonic imagery like hell, but they also take a lot of inspiration from Catholicism too. Celestis/Vatican, Doci/Pope, Prior/Priest etc. I just think they're meant to represent oppressive religion, but none in particular. I do however think they intentionally drew parallels between Adria and Jesus though, with the immaculate conception and the resurrection, I wish they had the balls to do the Jesus was an ascended storyline that we all know is true

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
                        given that SG-1 was built upon a reimagining of Earth's mythologies (egyptian and norse being most prominent, followed by greco-roman, with touches of other worldly ones, including Arthurian Legend), it would only make sense for them to have used Judaism and/or Christianity at some point.... and i do believe that they used Christianity as the basis for the Ori......... the "convert or die" mentality was HUGE in the Middle Ages, especially the Spanish Inquisition.... "convert or burn" is still a common "marketing campaign" used today by the misinformed "christians".... the Book of Origin is obviously based upon religious texts like the Bible, Torah, Talmud, Qu'ran - just look at how Daniel explains to to Tomin....

so for a long time i thought the Ori were representative of the Christian (and later Catholic) church.......

but now i'm not so sure.... or maybe i just found parallels
                        No I think your quite right its just a different approach, I for one always wondered why the writers never used chritian prophets but obviously there would have been a big outcry, the way that this was done you could associate it with any religion of the book I suppose not just Catholic but Judaism and Islam equally, the 3 main religions all share very similar ideals which I think your article suggests, and when you think back on series 9-10 of SG1 you can see simularities in various episiodes to practices of each religion

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Ads View Post
                          No I think your quite right its just a different approach, I for one always wondered why the writers never used chritian prophets but obviously there would have been a big outcry, the way that this was done you could associate it with any religion of the book I suppose not just Catholic but Judaism and Islam equally, the 3 main religions all share very similar ideals which I think your article suggests, and when you think back on series 9-10 of SG1 you can see simularities in various episiodes to practices of each religion
                          In what sense could Judaism be considered one of the '3 main religions'?

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                            In what sense could Judaism be considered one of the '3 main religions'?
                            In terms of religions of the book Christianity/Catholic, Jews and Muslims are the 3 main religions or atleast where when I was at school

Comment

double post please remove
                              Last edited by Col.Ads; 02 July 2010, 01:50 PM. Reason: double post

Comment

Working...
                              X