PDA

View Full Version : My Journey through Supernatural - episode by episode

Puddle-Jumper
June 26th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Okay so I saw this idea being done on the SG1 forum so I decided to steal for this cos it seemed like a good idea. :)

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/55504-My-Journey-through-Stargate-SG1-episode-by-episode

Okay so recently a number of my friends have gotten into this show and I decided to follow suit and borrowed the DVD's from a friend and Im giving them a watch, Ive never seen the show before so please minimum spoilers :) but they seem to enjoy it up in the other subforums so hey why not here right

S01E01 - Pilot

Straight away Im going to say that I really enjoyed this episode, I finished watching it about ten minutes ago and dispite it being 1:37am over here Im definetly going to watch the next as soon as Im done here.

Okay so first critiqué.... The episode was a tad predicatable, the second Sam's girlfriend was introduced I knew she was going the way of the mother, but then again in a pilot things need to have a degree of predicatability, especially in order to set up the shows episodic format, but all the same very good episode. The woman in white was a good villian, and I liked how it wasn't the standard jilted lover ghost story, that she had murdered her own children really put a bit of a darker twist onto things.

I also found it interesting that the show doesn't totally ignore the real life aspects of doing something like they do, the credit card scams and what not, just for me made the show a bit grittier, and a bit more realistic, as opposed to something like charmed which is what I was afraid the show may be like. I loved the back and forth between Sam and Dean, really entertaining.. it always helps when you can crack a smile in between the murdering and ghosts right.

Acting wise cant fault anyone, there wasn't any stand out moments, but it there wasn't any bad ones either, and its always nice to see Jamil Walker Smith (Greer on SGU) in a less serious crazed gunman role hah. The music I also loved, highway to hell, fantastic song and very fitting for the show I thought :)

Overall, good episode, it did an excellent job of setting the tone and atmosphere of the show and Im looking forward to watching more.

8/10

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 26th, 2010, 05:40 PM
It took me ages to watch SPN and, guiltily I have to admit, it was squealing fangirls that tended to keep me away. Now, I kind of am one...sigh. Dignity is a hard thing to hang onto :D

I agree with you both on the somewhat predictability of the first ep, but I think that it was well set up in any case. I also loved their crimes as a way to finance what they do; it did give a very real feel to it (and it's odd that it kept reminding me of the guys that I grew up with, to the point that I kept looking over at whoever I was watching it with at the time and sharing A Look, as we remembered this or that person).

I won't spoil a thing but I'll gladly tag along with you for your journey :)

Puddle-Jumper
June 26th, 2010, 05:54 PM
S01E02 - Wendigo

Straight away, excellent episode.

Really enjoyed it, and it was actually pretty scary.. they really were able to create a a great atmosphere for the episode, not to mention the whole cloverfield-esque (which really came from Alien in the 70's but who's counting eh) menthod of not showing the actual monster to increase the scarness factor really worked.. for me anyway

I loved how the diary was introduced into it, and the fact that there was a well thought out mythology behind the monster they were hunting, and how we get to see a bit more of just how well the brothers were trained by their father, and it was great that they were acknowleding what had happened in the episodes previous, which is so easy to forget about in an episodic format like this.

The forest environment was great, made for some fantastic shots, and the acting was pretty good throughout, I especially liked the cameos from 2 battlestar alumi, Doc Cottle who was chain smoking as usual, makes you wonder if its a requirement for his roles, and Leoben the Cylon not to mention the part at the start by Cory Monteith (Finn from Glee) which I thought was funny because the Woman in White in the pilot bore a striking resemblence to Lea Michele (Rachel in Glee)

Overall excellent episode, much better then the first and I think my addiction to the show is beginning

9/10

Puddle-Jumper
June 26th, 2010, 06:03 PM
It took me ages to watch SPN and, guiltily I have to admit, it was squealing fangirls that tended to keep me away. Now, I kind of am one...sigh. Dignity is a hard thing to hang onto :D

I agree with you both on the somewhat predictability of the first ep, but I think that it was well set up in any case. I also loved their crimes as a way to finance what they do; it did give a very real feel to it (and it's odd that it kept reminding me of the guys that I grew up with, to the point that I kept looking over at whoever I was watching it with at the time and sharing A Look, as we remembered this or that person).

I won't spoil a thing but I'll gladly tag along with you for your journey :)

I think I may end up in the same boat as you and other screaming fan girls... if only this damn penis weren't in the way :P

starg8fans
June 27th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Hey, great idea. I've been wanting to do my own rewatch and it's so much more fun to do it with more people. But it usually fell apart pretty soon. So this is actually really good, for you to set the speed and we can just jump in here and comment. Oh, and it'll be interesting to see a guy's take on the show.

I must say I only liked the pilot on the re-watch. I had seen a few later random eps before starting from the beginning, and it was kinda hard to go back to the boys when they were not 'clicking' the way they were later. I also found in this show the first time you see an ep you get so caught up in the storyline you tend to miss out on the more character driven moments that push the overall arch.

Wendigo really did it for me, though. I like the more 'earthy' fell there is to facing 'corporeal' monsters rather than spirits. It was interesting when you said the fact they didn't really show the monster was an interesting effect. Actually, I read somewhere that they weren't happy with the way the Wendigo turned out, so that was born out of necessity rather than choice. But it sure worked.

I also think the acting throughout the show - with very few exceptions - is well above par, not only of the regulars but the guests as well. The old man who was mauled by the Wendigo as a kid was one example. I think he did a wonderful job at portraying his trauma, and made what the boys were facing very real.

BTW, I'm really impressed with you being able to identify all those actors from other shows. I don't watch much TV, so I only recognize regulars from SG-1 and SGA - and there'll be quite a few of those, incl. Teryl Rothery and the guy who was Laden Radim (I'm terrible with actors' names). Is there a thread here for that kind of stuff? If not we should start one called 'where do I know them from' or something.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 27th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Wendigo was one of my favorite episodes and it's what really sold me on the series. It definitely sold me on the characters. With some shows, it takes years to develop the quirks, the in-jokes, but with SPN, they went there right from the beginning, shamelessly. I love that :D

Crichiel
June 27th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Ooh, this should be interesting. I know if a year ago (when I 'found' Supernatural), I had written up my thoughts on the show immediately after seeing each episode, those reviews and critiques would be COMPLETELY different from how I would do so now!

Case in point, like many I am in the middle of my own summer re-watch of all episodes. I am currently halfway through season 2. My favourite season by far. I have seen each of these epsiodes a dozen times. But sitting down and watching them in order, I am still discovering new things that make me love this show all the more. Certain episodes I always considered to be weaker ones? When you put them in the context of the series as a whole, you find scenes that suddenly show a whole new level of importance and poignancy.

Plus like someone else said, the first time through, you are just trying to comprehend the main storyline, it's the subsequent viewings where you see Jensen and Jared's skill in non-verbal acting and comedic timing.

So, yes, I am very interested in following you on this journey, PuddleJumper! It's a whole new perspective discussing the show with a newcomer!

Oh! And a couple OT points here:

1. Just because the snotty, detail-oriented (read: OCD) part of me has to correct this, it is generally Jaws, not Alien, that is credited as being the 70's pioneer in proving 'the less you see, the scarier. And like Wendigo, it was unintentional, the shark just didn't work.

2. stars, I know I would love to join in on a "Where do I know them from?" thread. It's kind of an idiot savant thing I have going on. I freakishly remember actors I've seen before and because I watched Sliders, X-Files, SG-1, SGA, Smallville....I especially know most the Vancouver character actors, even before I see them because I know a lot of them by name!

Puddle-Jumper
June 27th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Just because the snotty, detail-oriented (read: OCD) part of me has to correct this, it is generally Jaws, not Alien, that is credited as being the 70's pioneer in proving 'the less you see, the scarier. And like Wendigo, it was unintentional, the shark just didn't work.

Touché... Your right on that, but never been a Jaws fan so Alien was really the one that did it for me (Im only 20 so I may yet become a Jaws fan we'll see.. maybe a similar thread to this if theres ever a Jaws subforum :P)

Didn't watch any supernatural today cos Ive been out all day and pubbing tonight but hopefully at least another 10 episodes in the next week.

Puddle-Jumper
June 28th, 2010, 05:02 PM
S01E03 - Dead In The Water

Funny you should mention Jaws, Crichiel, given the opening of this episode. ;)

Nice to see Amy Acker ( Angel, Dollhouse) in a non Joss Whedon orientated role, Ive always had a soft spot for her, and once again the main characters fraudulent methods of getting around never ceases to keep me entertained.

The episode was a bit slow moving and a tad cliché at first with the strange boy predicting the future via drawings and then the "being caught impersonating government officials" again (which was unnecessary), though as it progressed it surprised me by putting a new twist on an wornout idea.

I have to say though, Im becoming more and more fond of Sam and Dean as the episodes go on, though their method of running into situations with dangerous evil spirits with no more then their wits seems to be a bit ill thought out... Im hoping for more of the stuff from Wendigo, dealing with protection symbols, mythology behind creatures etc, but Ive 5 seasons to go so Im sure Ill get plenty of it.

Overall a fine and enjoyable episode, that started out slow.

7/10

Puddle-Jumper
June 28th, 2010, 05:47 PM
S01E04 - Phantom Traveller

"Wow, time really does fly"

A really great episode, right from the opening it drew me in and kept me there right till the end. It was fantastic to see that not every episode begins with the Winchester brothers just happening to stumble across a series of mysterious murders, that the writers have other plot devices ito start an episode with, in this case a previous client contacting them again.

What I really found interesting about this episode was how it handled the baddie of the week in such a different way to the previous 3 episodes, how science is kinda worked into the the continuity of a bad guy, that suphur residue points to demonic possesion, Deans homemade EMF detector and such, as a complete and total nerd its good to see that again the writers are building up a repetoire of facts and gadgets for the brothers to have at their disposal and that not every mystery is going to be solved by talking to some locals and reading their fathers diary.

First episode that I didn't immediately recognise one of the guest actors from another show though Ill try not to hold it against the episode. :P It was great to see them actually putting a little bit of work into their disguises too, and come on.. who doesn't love a guy in a suit.

Overall good episode, good villian, solid plot

8/10

Crichiel
June 28th, 2010, 06:22 PM
So far, puddle-jumper, you seem to be right along the lines that I was when I started with each of these episodes. I like that you really seem to be keeping an open mind as you watch. Especially since it IS a first season, there will of course be the occasional misstep while they are finding their feet. Although one thing that got me hooked so fast on this show was just how quickly things fell into place, and how few average to below average episodes they put out.

Puddle-Jumper
June 28th, 2010, 06:34 PM
So far, puddle-jumper, you seem to be right along the lines that I was when I started with each of these episodes. I like that you really seem to be keeping an open mind as you watch. Especially since it IS a first season, there will of course be the occasional misstep while they are finding their feet. Although one thing that got me hooked so fast on this show was just how quickly things fell into place, and how few average to below average episodes they put out.

Even though Ive seen only 4 episodes, I think I know what you mean about falling into place, I think Im starting to see the beginning of something to do with hell/satan as a subplot. But no one comment on this as I want to be surprised :P

Krisz
June 28th, 2010, 07:45 PM
S01E02 - Wendigo

Straight away, excellent episode.

Really enjoyed it, and it was actually pretty scary.. they really were able to create a a great atmosphere for the episode, not to mention the whole cloverfield-esque (which really came from Alien in the 70's but who's counting eh) menthod of not showing the actual monster to increase the scarness factor really worked.. for me anyway

I loved how the diary was introduced into it, and the fact that there was a well thought out mythology behind the monster they were hunting, and how we get to see a bit more of just how well the brothers were trained by their father, and it was great that they were acknowleding what had happened in the episodes previous, which is so easy to forget about in an episodic format like this.

The forest environment was great, made for some fantastic shots, and the acting was pretty good throughout, I especially liked the cameos from 2 battlestar alumi, Doc Cottle who was chain smoking as usual, makes you wonder if its a requirement for his roles, and Leoben the Cylon not to mention the part at the start by Cory Monteith (Finn from Glee) which I thought was funny because the Woman in White in the pilot bore a striking resemblence to Lea Michele (Rachel in Glee)

Overall excellent episode, much better then the first and I think my addiction to the show is beginning

9/10

This show got me at about this point when it first aired. There was something so fresh and different about the show's approach that kept me going back for more.

I always enjoy reading peoples' takes on seeing a favourite show of mine for the first time, as it reminds me again of what I love about the shows. Not many shows have grabbed my attention like SPN has, and within the first couple of episodes especially!

Puddle-Jumper
June 30th, 2010, 04:02 PM
S01E05 - Bloody Mary

Not the strongest episode... A mirror haunted by the woman that originally started the bloody mary legend coincidentally gets moved to a town full of people who all seem to have covered up a murder at some point in their past which just happens to be her exact victim of choice... hmmm I don't buy it

I liked that we finally got to see a bit more on Sam and his feelings about what happened to his girlfriend, and the writers certainly had the right idea on putting Sam in a situation where his feelings would be 'mirrored' in another character.

There was plenty of things though to leave down the episodes concept, the scene were the teenage girl was killed could have been taken from literally any of the 'I know who you screamed last scary summer'

Overall a good concept executed very poorly

5/10

Puddle-Jumper
June 30th, 2010, 04:46 PM
S01E06 - Skin

"You mean like a Vulcan mind meld?"

Definetly a step up from 'Bloody Mary', and it was nice to see the brothers tackling a foe that isn't immune to a fist fight or hand guns.

The villian here was great, his speech when he was in Deans form about his origins was fantastic, and including evolution into it gave it a nice little twist on the 'supernatural' too, though I have to say we never got an explanation on why he chose to kill in the way that he did...

It was great that the episode touched on how Sam lives his life now, the lies he tells to his friends, and all in all I really thought it had a sorta... X-files-esque feel the episode, especially with the transformation scene.

Overall, very good, had a few 'Lets split up to catch the shapeshifter WTF!" moments for me, but still good.

8/10

Puddle-Jumper
June 30th, 2010, 05:41 PM
S01E07 - Hookman

An enjoyable episode for sure... but couldn't help thinking "I know what you did summer" the whole way through the episode, ironic given my mention of that film in the previous episode review.

Really this episode I liked purely for being able to use a shotgun with rock salt against ghosts, definetly should be seen in later episodes I hope.

The setting was very cliché, the hook man was somewhat interesting... the acting was pretty standard...

Overall, not a bad episode, but it just doesn't stand out..

7/10

Puddle-Jumper
July 4th, 2010, 06:43 PM
S01E08 - Bugs

"We accept home owners of any race, religion, colour or..... sexual orientation."

Not a bad episode, but not great..

At 8 episodes in now I really find myself feeling how I did watching the first few seasons of Smallville where every single episode except for the season finale was a once off 'kyrptanite freak' that clark accidentally killed. I know theres the 'looking for daddy' overture but still Im waiting to get a more serious story arc, which from what Ive heard happens in later seasons. Its not that Im not enjoying it, I just don't find myself rushing to watch the next one as I do with so many other shows.

But anyway back to this episode, good.. it was interesting to see a villian that wasn't really a villian, just a force of nature that they couldn't fight that just had to be avoided, and Sam's daddy issues were elaborated on which was nice and people confusing them for a gay couple... somehow I bet there was a lot of fans watching that saying "Oh if only"

Overall, pretty good episode, that definetly creeped me out a bit... bugs.. ugh

7/10

Puddle-Jumper
July 4th, 2010, 07:37 PM
S01E09 - Home

"I feel just awful about the poor mans hand, but how can I be held liable???"

And lo and behold.. as soon as I mention that I want more then a once off baddie of the week episode Supernatural goes on and delivers :P

Fantastic episode, really great, kept me on the edge of my seat and even threw in a twist at the end with the mothers spirit, and the return of the father, awesome stuff.

The poltergeist itself was even somewhat freaky, and I love that the writers made it so that Sam and Dean are from Kansas, Im sure theres some vague Wizard Of Oz methaphor there..

Missouri Mosley made for a very entertaining guest spot, especially how she was toward Dean, I really hope we get to see more of her. Sam's abilites beginning to develop is very interesting too. Im glad that the writers are adding more to the continuity of the show then the mythology of monsters and ghosts and that they're weaving a rich tapastry for Sam and Dean too, that they're going to be more then monster hunters at some point, and knowing that Ive 5 seasons ahead of me for the big dogs behind the show to do all that... ohhh excitement

Overall, excellent episode. Best so far

10/10

Crichiel
July 4th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I think you mean Wizard of Oz with the Kansas connection.

Congrats on getting through Bugs, considered by many, including the writers to be one of their weakest episodes to date. You were actually very generous with your rating on that one!

I'm excited FOR you, knowing you are starting to get to the more exceptional episodes of season 1, like Home. I'm glad you could recognise what a step up it was, it tells me that that you have good taste and I am probably going to agree with you a lot on your journey!! ;)

Puddle-Jumper
July 5th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I think you mean Wizard of Oz with the Kansas connection.

It was almost 5 in the morning, Im suprised my post was even literate lol

xxxevilgrinxxx
July 5th, 2010, 10:58 AM
S01E08 - Bugs

"We accept home owners of any race, religion, colour or..... sexual orientation."
that cracked me up every time :p

Puddle-Jumper
July 5th, 2010, 01:40 PM
that cracked me up every time :p

haha ya, Im trying to find some quote like that in every episode that stands out, the one from Home.. is great I think :P

xxxevilgrinxxx
July 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM
haha ya, Im trying to find some quote like that in every episode that stands out, the one from Home.. is great I think :P

I think they're having some fun with the people that like to write slash :p

Puddle-Jumper
July 7th, 2010, 06:19 PM
S01E10 - Asylum

"Don't be afraid, Im going to make you all better"

Supernatural is finally starting to pick up :D

Even though this was a purely once off story, it started and began with a connection to their father which was great.. Plus this episode was freaky as ****

Loved the asylum setting, considering that I was raised on Resident Evil and Silent Hill back on the PS1 how could I not! The set design was flawless too, and the acting pretty good and the plot wasn't a rollarcoaster ride, it kept me watching. Not much else to say.. loved that it was a shotgun heavy episode, somewhat interesting that the ghosts of the patients weren't the problem but the ghost of the doctor was...

Overall, good episode, great once off adventure

8/10

Puddle-Jumper
July 7th, 2010, 08:03 PM
S01E11 - Scarecrow

"Dude, you fugly"

Another great episode... really getting impressed with the show now.

Fantastic villian, a pagan god that the village folk sacrafice people passing though to for prosperity. Not the most original of plots, but it was well done and had the whole Sam, Dean and Papa Winchester subplot so made for a very entertaining episode.

And Meg... who the **** is Meg... finally a proper reacurring villian bout time... She was brilliant, funny, intriging, full of mystery and apparently completely evil so that should make for a few good episodes later on.. looking forward to more Meg.. though the name meg just makes me think Family Guy.. Ive said Meg too many times in my head now and its done that thing where its lost all meaning.. Meg... Meg... anyway..

Overall brilliant episode, with plenty of meg which it would seem I love.

9/10

xxxevilgrinxxx
July 8th, 2010, 09:51 AM
that's funny, I watched Asylum and Scarecrow last night :)
The setting in Asylum was fantastic and really led to the whole scary as hell feel of the ep. One scary looking scarecrow *shudder*

Crichiel
July 8th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I think one of the scariest moments in the whole series for me is when Dean gets right up into that scarecrow's face. :eek: I still can't watch it with eyes fully open. And I think it was in the season 1 companion book where they were also talking about that scene, saying how it's funny just how scary that it is to watch....and NOTHING even happens! :cool:

Puddle-Jumper
July 8th, 2010, 12:34 PM
The scarecrow was really freaky..... the face especially... really reminded of that film... which I can't think of the name for, about the guy that steals peoples body parts, he drives a freaky truck... there was something about a well and he used to hang out in fields too hmmmm

starg8fans
July 8th, 2010, 12:45 PM
What I never really got about that episode was the significance of the tattoo. Did that mean the scarecrow was the guy they sacrificed? Or did they use parts of him to dress it?

xxxevilgrinxxx
July 8th, 2010, 12:59 PM
The scarecrow was really freaky..... the face especially... really reminded of that film... which I can't think of the name for, about the guy that steals peoples body parts, he drives a freaky truck... there was something about a well and he used to hang out in fields too hmmmmJeepers Creepers

What I never really got about that episode was the significance of the tattoo. Did that mean the scarecrow was the guy they sacrificed? Or did they use parts of him to dress it?yep, I think they used the body, or at least parts of the body for the scarecrow *shudders again*

Puddle-Jumper
July 8th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Jeepers Creepers

That movie FREAKED the hell outta me when I was younger...

Puddle-Jumper
July 8th, 2010, 07:48 PM
S01E12 - Faith

"I'm not gonna die in a hospital where the nurses aren't even hot"

Supernatural is really starting to build momentum for me now... I actually find myself having that naggin voice in the back of my head saying watch supernatural over and over again.

Another great episode, this really is something special, especially how the episode raises the question of faith, and that if theres evil there must also be good and such... ahhh and Julie Benz, I love this woman.. in Dexter shes just flawless and brilliant here too, and that line she delivered at the end... "If you're gonna have faith, you can't just have it when the miracles happen, you have to have it when they don't." really great writing.

The plot was all very good, interesting take on the grim reaper story (great representation of him too, the old man), that it can be controlled, summoned and that it was being called upon for a priest to do faith healings was a great twist.

and the choice of music for this episode was superb too "Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult is a classic.

Overall, great episode, one I definetly think Ill give another watch at somepoint down the line.

9/10

iolanda
July 9th, 2010, 01:06 AM
OMG, go are exactly where I was last year! Found this show, though that it was pretty good and got hooked to it. I'd be a bit less generous with this points, though, or you'll end up having to give 15/10 points for episodes later on :D

I love Faith, especially the montage when the reaper was after that jogger in the park, and seeing Dean all sick and fragile.

Crichiel
July 9th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Faith. May be my favourite of season 1...though I'd have to think about it! I know the writers have said that this was the episode where they really started to feel they had a special show. That they could change the format to this more personal type of story and they we shocked and thrilled and how amazing it turned out . This DVD (episodes 9-12) is one that I've practically worn out, 4 stellar ones in a row. Love it when they really get on a roll like this!!

Puddle-Jumper
July 9th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I love Faith, especially the montage when the reaper was after that jogger in the park,

Ya that was brilliant!!! :D

and as for the points, Im not really doing proper reviews, this is just how I feel each episode was, if it ticks all the boxes in my head and leaves me feeling impressed then high points

Crichiel
July 9th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I love Faith, especially the montage when the reaper was after that jogger in the park, and seeing Dean all sick and fragile.

About a month ago, I let the 4-year-old watch the first part of Faith because she was asking about a comment I made on water and electricity (see, show is educational , too! ;)). She wanted to keep going, so I watched with her to make sure it wasn't TOO scary....she LOVED the part with the Reaper chasing the jogger! :eek: Whenever she sees the Reaper in one of the SPN magazines of books she KISSES it (!), she asked for a Reaper birthday party (we said 'no.') and for the next week, we had to listen to Don't Fear the Reaper everytime we got in the car. She's a funny little girl...but she has good taste! :)

Puddle-Jumper
July 9th, 2010, 03:20 PM
S01E13 - Route 666

"I miss conversations that didn't start with "this killer truck.""

Pretty standard episode really, nothing really exciting. The racially motivated plot was somewhat interesting, but the baddie of the week was pretty week IMO.. I mean a killer truck... hmm

I loved seeing Megalyn Echikunwoke (who played Cassie, deans ex) whom I know from The 4400, one of my favourite shows of all time, which I really reccommend that everyone watch at somepoint.

Nothing much else to say on it really, it was nice to see a bit more of Deans back story. But in general, for me anyway, it was a move backward to the monotony from the first half of the season.
Heres hoping it don't last!

5/10

Crichiel
July 9th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I only watch this episode when I am re-watching all episodes. Dunlikit.

Puddle-Jumper
July 9th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I only watch this episode when I am re-watching all episodes. Dunlikit.

Its weird that you guys generally seem to agree with me on this haha, normally the forum opinions and mine varie quite a bit, like Earth and Life in SGU... which are almost universally hated over on the SGU forum are 2 of my favourite lol

Puddle-Jumper
July 9th, 2010, 03:58 PM
S01E14 - Nightmare

"Your Dad must have been as drunk as mine"

Ohhh good, it was very slow picking up pace... but as soon as it did.. excellent episode.

A really great episode, twists and turns really kept on the edge of my seat... abusive parents, more on Sams abailites and the revelation that they're linked to his moms killer, and that its not just the winchester family its targeted, and Sam is slowly becoming a combination of the sisters from Charmed!?!?... like preonition and telekinesis... thats 2 of the 3

Really interesting villian.. which was in a way what led to the slow pace for the first half, that it just seemed like any other ghosty haunting supernatural.. And having Zelda from Sabrina the Teenage Witch is always a positive for me :D

Overall, very good slow to start but excellent at the end

8/10

Puddle-Jumper
July 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM
S01E15 - The Benders

"Eat me. Oh no no no wait wait wait, you actually might."

Bit of an odd name, reminds me of futurama, plus the gay connotations... but this episode was EXCELLENT... plus probably the freakiest episode so far by a long shot. Really remined me of Deliverance... and an episode of Torchwood too... infact its almost exactly the same... but I think this episode came first..

Well its about time they stumble across a mystery that isn't supernatural and just a psycho of the regular variety... I dunno why but the whole way through the episode I actually felt seriously like the brothers may not win, I obviously knew they would show like this episodic format, everything needs to be back to normal for the following week.. but I was still genuinely worried!

Anyway Ive been rambling about this for a while, great plot.. great twist the whole just normal guys thing, like I said really actually quite scary..

Overall excellent, one of the best episodes Ive seen, great fight sequences especially

10/10

Puddle-Jumper
July 9th, 2010, 05:45 PM
S01E16 - Shadow

"Did you get anything ... besides her number?"

Oh howdy, that was a goody... good villian, and great to see more of meggity meg meg, my favourite gal, and Papa winchester! I was hoping to see him kick a bit of ass tbh, so far everyone just talks about how good he is but I wanna see some of this awesome papa vs. monster fighting action...

It wasn't an amazing episode but very very good all the same... giving a bigger picture of the grand scheme of the show now, really enjoyed that. And how that shadow monster didn't leave them with some serious facial disfiguration I don't know (not that Ive watched further on, but Sam and Deans ruggid good looks are pretty important if you ask me)

Overall, good.. but just felt like they tried to fit too much into the episode, and things happened pretty quickly.

9/10

Crichiel
July 9th, 2010, 06:52 PM
First a 5 for Route 666. Now a 10 for The Benders and a 9 for this one? You, my friend, have very good taste! ;) Seriously though, it is fascinating to follow someone new to the show and see just how apparent SPN's strengths and weaknesses are.

Although, speaking of NOT going along with the general consensus (as you were talking about with SGU), everybody on and off the show seems to really fall in love with Meg as a character and Nikki Aycox as an actress. I've always thought her to be very 'meh'. *ducks for cover*

Puddle-Jumper
July 11th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Thank you very much!

I met one of my friends out last night at a gig, one of the guys that told me to start watching supernatural cos its so great, and I started talking to him about season 1, and the episodes Ive seen.... and he hadn't watched season 1!!!!! Just seasons 2 to 5 or whatever is on now.... Crazy! I told him immediately go watch it...

Crichiel
July 11th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I met one of my friends out last night at a gig, one of the guys that told me to start watching supernatural cos its so great, and I started talking to him about season 1, and the episodes Ive seen.... and he hadn't watched season 1!!!!! Just seasons 2 to 5 or whatever is on now.... Crazy! I told him immediately go watch it...

Ok, that's just weird. If you like a show enough to recommend it to others, wouldn't you have watched all the episodes yourself?

Though, I have a friend that came over for the Lost finale. The two of us were really into and planned the evening months in advance. I find out 2 hours before it starts that she never saw season 1, including the pilot episode!! And the pilot was HUGELY referenced in the finale! If she had just told me a day earlier, I could have lent it to her!

Puddle-Jumper
July 11th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Ok, that's just weird. If you like a show enough to recommend it to others, wouldn't you have watched all the episodes yourself?

Though, I have a friend that came over for the Lost finale. The two of us were really into and planned the evening months in advance. I find out 2 hours before it starts that she never saw season 1, including the pilot episode!! And the pilot was HUGELY referenced in the finale! If she had just told me a day earlier, I could have lent it to her!

Well supernatural would be a bit easy to get into I think given its episodic format.... ugh Lost... talk about a plane crash of a show like..

Puddle-Jumper
July 11th, 2010, 06:59 PM
S01E17 - Hell House

"What would Buffy do?"

A pretty good episode, broken up between scenes cut out of any B-rated Hollywood film where 20 and 30 something year old teens decide that instead of 'making out' they'll do the other dare and get themselves killed in the process. Stupid teens...

It was good, the baddie of the week was brilliant, that just the thoughts of a large group of people can bring something to life.. really liked that, and the humour between Sam and Dean and the other ghosthunters was excellent too.. though the pranks between the brothers were a bit tedious I thought...

Not much else to say really, nothing really outstanding about this episode cept those nerdy ghosthunters who I sure we'll see again, I saw theres a thread here about ghostfacers, Im going to hazard a wild guess that its those two guys...

Overall, a great idea, executed in a very average fashion..

6/10

Puddle-Jumper
July 12th, 2010, 04:06 PM
S01E18 - Something Wicked

"Better call the Coast Guard"

A step up from Hell House, quite a good episode...

Loved the villian, posing as a doctor and stealing the lifeforce of children, tad cliché but not enough to make an impact on the plot...

Loved the flashbacks to Sam and Deans childhood, tbh it kinda looks like Papa Winchester should have been brought up on charges of child endangerment, leaving his 2 very young children on their own for days at time telling them to shoot anyone that comes looking for them? tut tut... Still though it was great to get a bit more insight into why Dean is the way he is...

The episode had a great moment too with that old woman with the upside down crucifix... really funny poking fun at the standard image of a witch...

Overall, pretty enjoyable, well written, all around good episode

7/10

Puddle-Jumper
July 16th, 2010, 05:59 PM
S01E19 - Provenance

"Sometimes you have to take one for the team."

Pretty okay episode.. it was great to finally have a strong female character in the show... seriously the one thing supernatural is missing, I know theres Meg, but she's all evil and stuff! Pity Sarah seems to be a one episode thing..

Villian was a bit meh, haunted painting, killing, thought it was dead, then it wasn't, though it was dead again, then it wasnt, then they finally get whats up, then its done.. Nothing too interesting there,

All in all the episode was pretty standard, stuck to the episodic supernatural formula, except for Sarah who was a great addition, even it was for just one episode.. at least theres been some acknowledgment of Sam's feelings on the whole dead girlfriend thing aside from vowing revenge..

Overall, only okay, nothing too special, but good all the same

6/10

Puddle-Jumper
July 18th, 2010, 05:40 PM
S01E20 - Dead Mans Blood

"Oops I spilled the popcorn salt"

Finally some vampires! Given all the Twilight and True Blood hype of late, not to mention I was raised on Buffy, Ive been gagging for a bit of vampire action with the Winchesters :D

Nice to see Papa winchester back, and that theres other hunters out there too, thats helping to build up a bit more of mythology.. I liked how skeptical Dean was of Vampires hah, given what he does for a living.

I loved Supernaturals take on Vampires, they really could have went down the traditional route and had a basic vampires in the cementary at night episode but they didnt which was great... I loved the whole concept of a dead mans blood is poison to a vampire too... I dunno if thats a part of Vampire loire or something they made up but great all the same.

Sam and Papa winchester dealing a bit was needed too, the whole Daddy issues thing could only go on for so long, and great ending.... building up to an awesome season finale I bet

Overall, good episode.. but it was just missing that certain Je ne c'est pas..

7/10

Puddle-Jumper
July 18th, 2010, 06:50 PM
S01E21 - Salvation

"We're gonna strip"

Really great episode, this post is going to be a short one cos I want to get to the next episode and watch it before bed time cos Im working in about 8 hours time :(

It's really building up to something for the season finale I can tell, and that glimpse of the yellow eyes of the demon was excellent..... I was a bit disappointed that Meg and her friend were able to catch John so easily, like people always go on about how amazing a hunter he is, yet every time we've seen him now the brothers have saved him.. or not in the case of this episode...

Overall, fantastic episode.. building up to a good season finale..

9/10

Puddle-Jumper
July 18th, 2010, 07:46 PM
S01E22 - Devils Trap

"I really can't stand the monologuing."

Well lads and lasses if there was ever a twisty turny season finale cliff hanging extravaganza, that was it! (Not including Battlestar Galactica obviously...)

Excellent excellent episode, really fantastic, from start to finish didn't let up! There was hints of a bigger thing happening, Im guessing some sort of end of the world type situation, or hell on earth or something of the likes, yellow eyed demon is megs papa! That was great, and the special effects on the gun when it shoots someone were really awesome.. and the impala wrecked at the end! They better get that fixed.. like what a car!

Can't wait to start watching the second season... I dunno how you guys waiting months in between, I only gotta wait till tomorrow evening and Im not sure I can do it haha

Overall excellent episode, one of the best of the season, great finale

10/10

And.....

Season 1 Overall

Had its strong moments, and its weak moments.. there are plenty of filler episodes, and in general there was loads of times that I found myself just pushing through them purely because I had started this thread and because I told my friends that Id watch em, but that being said the good episodes made up for the bad ones easily and in general when looking back at season 1 as a whole, it was good.. but I can completely understand some people giving up on the show.

So taking everything into account for the first season (and this isn't just an average of the scores for each episode...) Id give the first season..

7/10

starg8fans
July 18th, 2010, 08:44 PM
It must have been hell to wait for several months after this cliffie. Not even sure whether it was confirmed at that time that they would get a second season. Actually, I'm in awe that you can manage to hold off for 24 hours - I was watching the show online when I was where you are now, and I was having a nervous breakdown just waiting for the next episode to load...

I'm really enjoying following you on your journey, so keep up the good work. You'll be glad you stuck by it. The first season is always difficult, the show is trying to find its feet, the characters need to be fleshed out and have layers added. The funny thing with Spn is that you often start to really appreciate the earlier episodes only when you go back later. At least that was true for me. On the first watch you are caught up too much in the plot, but revisiting them knowing what you know then you start to realize little things that didn't mean anything at the time but were already foreshadowing what was to come. I'm always amazed at the attention to detail where continuity is concerned. It's another sign how much TPTB care about this show - almost as much as we dedicated fans. :p

xxxevilgrinxxx
July 19th, 2010, 06:31 AM
S01E20 - Dead Mans Blood

"Oops I spilled the popcorn salt"

Finally some vampires! Given all the Twilight and True Blood hype of late, not to mention I was raised on Buffy, Ive been gagging for a bit of vampire action with the Winchesters :D

Nice to see Papa winchester back, and that theres other hunters out there too, thats helping to build up a bit more of mythology.. I liked how skeptical Dean was of Vampires hah, given what he does for a living.

I loved Supernaturals take on Vampires, they really could have went down the traditional route and had a basic vampires in the cementary at night episode but they didnt which was great... I loved the whole concept of a dead mans blood is poison to a vampire too... I dunno if thats a part of Vampire loire or something they made up but great all the same.

Sam and Papa winchester dealing a bit was needed too, the whole Daddy issues thing could only go on for so long, and great ending.... building up to an awesome season finale I bet

Overall, good episode.. but it was just missing that certain Je ne c'est pas..

7/10

Dead Man's Blood is another of my favorite episodes and yes, it's mostly for the portrayal of vamps, which I found refreshing. I think the je ne you might be missing is that we've been exposed to vamps for so long that they don't really come off as being very supernatural, especially when vamps fit in with us so well. They're evil, but it's not on the same level as some of the other evil things that these two face.

I like the story arc that begins with this one, with the Colt, and also that it brings out other hunters, that gets cool :)

Puddle-Jumper
July 19th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I'm really enjoying following you on your journey, so keep up the good work. You'll be glad you stuck by it. The first season is always difficult, the show is trying to find its feet, the characters need to be fleshed out and have layers added. The funny thing with Spn is that you often start to really appreciate the earlier episodes only when you go back later. At least that was true for me. On the first watch you are caught up too much in the plot, but revisiting them knowing what you know then you start to realize little things that didn't mean anything at the time but were already foreshadowing what was to come. I'm always amazed at the attention to detail where continuity is concerned. It's another sign how much TPTB care about this show - almost as much as we dedicated fans. :p

Well Im glad someone is following it, cos the thread has had almost 600 views but very few replies aside from me lol :P

starg8fans
July 19th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Oh, I'm gonna reply if I disagree with anything you say. It's just kinda boring to keep saying 'same here'. Also, I wasn't sure how much discussion you want on this thread.

Crichiel
July 19th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Same here. I've feel like I've been posting quite a bit in here, but it's mostly just to agree with you! And I also wasn't sure if you really wanted episode discussion. Personally, I would LOVE to have a thread where we go through one episode at a time and all discuss it over a few days. They had a thread in SG-1 where they did that (and we started one here with season 5, but not the first 4 seasons), and they were my favourite discussions.

But still, I am really enjoying following you here. I keep meaning to go through all the eps and rate them myself on a scale from 1-10, because I am curious to see how we line up. That's cause through season 1, we were pretty dang close!

starg8fans
July 19th, 2010, 09:12 PM
We could ask the mods to put in sub-forums for every season, like the one we have for S5. And then we could go through and add one episode at a time.

Puddle-Jumper
July 20th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Not a bad idea. Im happy to discuss any episode that guys want though :) I still haven't started season 2 though, damn job!

Puddle-Jumper
July 25th, 2010, 08:55 AM
S02E01 - In My Time Of Dying

"Go find some Hoodoo priest to lay some mojo on me."

Its good to be back! Sorry I didn't post for so long, I was working crazy hours for the past week so I didn't have a chance to watch it... but now I have! Excellent episode...

As twisty and turny as the season 1 finale... John giving up the colt like that.. and all this time I thought he was a horrible father haha. I loved getting to see a different side of the reapers, compared to what we saw in the faith healer episode, it was great to see them an natural thing as opposed to something with evil intentions.

and John trading his life for Deans!! Im thinking there something more to it and that Ill see him again... and what did he whisper to Dean!? I Love the new opening credits too. I love how the shows mythology is getting richer and richer as the show progresses, and I can't wait to see the rest of this season

Overall, great episode, excellent season opener

9/10

Crichiel
July 25th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I wasn't going to say anything ahead of time to influence your opinion one way or the other but In My Time Of Dying is tied with one other episode as my favourite one of all time! In just the past year since I discovered Supernatural, I would say I have easily seen this episode over 15 times. And it is one of the few episodes the Little One (now 4 yrs old) can watch beginning to end, so she has probably seen it a dozen times herself!

Puddle-Jumper
July 25th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I wasn't going to say anything ahead of time to influence your opinion one way or the other but In My Time Of Dying is tied with one other episode as my favourite one of all time! In just the past year since I discovered Supernatural, I would say I have easily seen this episode over 15 times. And it is one of the few episodes the Little One (now 4 yrs old) can watch beginning to end, so she has probably seen it a dozen times herself!

Thats the exact reason I don't read reviews of a film/tv show/album before I watch/listen to it, it was a great ep though!

Puddle-Jumper
August 1st, 2010, 05:30 PM
S02E02 - Everybody Love A Clown

"Mommy, Daddy, they shot my clown!"

Really enjoyed this episode, and I didn't expect to... like the whole fear of clowns thing is something thats a bit overused, but it was good to see it get the SPN stamp on it... What really made this a good episode though was how it continued on from John's death.. the funeral, following the trail of the demon, that Ellen chick, and that Ash was a great character too... like Ive said after plenty of other episodes, Im loving how the shows mythology is being built up, and how technology and science is being worked into the magic elements. And obviously I loved seeing Sam and Dean actually dealing with their Dads death, like the writers could have very easily skipped ahead by a few months and had the car fixed, and the brothers all better but they didn't which is good..

That being said it was by no means a perfect episode.. the showdown in the house of horrors thing at the end was almost cringe worthy.. though aside from that I have to say that now.. Clowns freak me out haha

Overall, great ep with a facepalm moment

7/10

Puddle-Jumper
August 1st, 2010, 06:47 PM
S02E03 - Bloodlust

"You can't just fill that hole with whoever you want to"

Oh this certainly was a dinger of an episode. Just like Gordon was talking about shades of grey when hunting... this episode did a fantastic job of blurring the lines between good and bad in supernatural, based on the title I pretty much guessed vampires from the outset and it was great to see them in a different light (pun intended)

Nice to see Ellen again, and something tells me we'll be seeing more of her, and more of Gordon.. its good to have some proper reacurring characters aside from the brothers for a change, and its great that the Dad issues haven't been dropped, but are slowly been moved to the back burner, like a subplot like that could take over so its good to see they are dealing with it well.

Overall, excellent episode, really added a lot to the show overall

9/10

Puddle-Jumper
August 3rd, 2010, 10:36 AM
S02E04 - Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

"Damn... that dead chick can run!"

A buffy-esque episode if there ever was one.... Good though, bout time they had an undead episode. Im still loving watching the brothers, especially Dean, cope with their fathers death and how its affecting their relationship... and Dean walking in on Sam watching porn... haha "Awkward" sums it up nicely haha :P

Aside from that nothing much to the episode though, I found it to be a bit of anti-climax at the end when they nailed her into the coffin though... she just stopped.. nothing more. I enjoyed seeing a bit of ancient greek mythology, hopefully we'll get a bit more of that. Also loved the title of the ep..

Overall, good episode, though not amazing

8/10

Puddle-Jumper
August 3rd, 2010, 12:27 PM
S02E05 - Simon Said

"Shes riding a polar bear?"

Great episode! Really enjoyed this one, had a good twist with the twin at the end, and it was great to see more of the roadhouse and Ellen and jo and co.. I love how Ellen is almost taking on a mothering role to the brothers, and how its establishing some other reacurring hunters.

I kinda felt a bit bad for Andy at the end though, like the Winchesters showed up... completely turned his life upsidedown, and then just left him to cope himself.Ellen bringing up the War idea again really is getting me excited :D Im hoping for that at the season finale.

Overall, great episode, loved seeing more of the demons 'kids'

9/10

Crichiel
August 3rd, 2010, 01:54 PM
Interesting. While I like Simon Said, I would definitely put it down as a bit of a weaker episode. Maybe a 7, just because I like Andy so much, but a 5 story-wise.

Puddle-Jumper
August 4th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Nah I really enjoyed it :D But that may come down to that Im uber curious as to what the demon plans to use the super powered kids for :D

Or it may that Im starting to become one of those SPN fanboys so I can't see any faults with the show haha

Puddle-Jumper
August 4th, 2010, 01:04 PM
S02E06 - No Exit

"Ah! Should have cleaned the pipes."

Bout time we got jo on a case, Im loving the chemistry between her and Dean, though Ive an awful feeling that shes going to turn out to be a winchester or at least I did until the engraved knife, and my next theory was that John killed Jo's father... which was close. She handled herself pretty good with the ghost too

Fantastic villian, ghost of americas first serial killer.. and I loved how they took care of the ghost... like the whole burning the bones thing was great, but a rock salt prison is far cooler, plus the irony of locking him up again.

I really loved this episode, I thought it was the perfect mix of a one off adventure and a main plot episode

Overall, real good one of the best of season 2 so far I think.

10/10

Crichiel
August 4th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Wow! We HAVE suddenly veered away from each other! ;) I would give this one a 5...period, nothing to bring it up from that and DEFINITELY not Jo! :o But, hey! That's the fun of this whole forum, seeing who likes what and why. :)

edit: MAYBE I could give it a 6, just for the scene with Ellen in the car! That was fantastic! :D

Puddle-Jumper
August 7th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Had my first supernatural dream last night haha it was me dean, sam, and buffy and willow fighting vampires lol though instead of Deans black Impala, we were driving in Willows black '99 Nissan almera... that part of the dream was very specific for some reason..

Puddle-Jumper
August 10th, 2010, 06:05 AM
S02E07 - The Usual Suspects

"No, I'm Mulder. You're a red-headed woman".

Really good episode! About time that stuff about the shape shifter came back to bite Dean, and that in general the boys got caught cos like.. they do an awful lot of illegal junk. Really liked the flashbacks explaining the mystery and then the twist with the villian...

Not too much else to say on it really, ugh that mistake with the sign was very very noticable when Sam and the detective were looking for the body... hmmm

Overall, excellent episode

9/10

Puddle-Jumper
August 11th, 2010, 03:50 PM
S02E08 - Crossroad Blues

"You know, I usually like to be warned before I'm violated"

I love blues music so no prizes for how I felt about this episode. Great opening sequence, and it was fantastic to see more of demons and the lore and mythology surrounding them.. I guessing this isn't any coincidence the writers did an episode like this.. I can see these things cropping up later in the season again..

I loved the whole crossroads/making a deal thing too... once again the shows growing mythology keeps me interested.. aside from that not really too much about the episode, it was interesting to see how selfles Dean and Sam are, that they are willing to risk their lives even for someone.. who by all accounts deserves to die.. pay on his debt ya know...

Overall, Great episode, loved the music and Robert Johnson stuff

9/10

The scores for this season are way higher then last seasons... guys is that an increase in quality or me becoming a fan boy lol? :D

Puddle-Jumper
August 11th, 2010, 04:46 PM
S02E09 - Croatoan

"You've got a neighbor named Mr. Rodgers?"

Ohhh boy howdy! Was that a cracker of an episode or what... Ive been waiting for supernatural to do a zombie ep and to work into an old american mystery like the Robert Johnson thing from the previous ep was brilliant...

The whole episode was brilliant, and the twists and turns at the end were fantastic, another meg like demon... what is dean going to say as soon as press play on the next episode :D Can't wait to find out

Overall, excellent episode.. defo one for a rewatch

10/10

Puddle-Jumper
August 11th, 2010, 05:42 PM
S02E10 - Hunted

"Am I okay? I just helped you steal some dead guy's confidential file. I'm AWESOME!"

Okay Im going to have to start being a harsher judge on giving supernatural a score from now on because this season has really stepped it up a notch.... like any of the past few episodes, if they were in season 1, would have been the best of the season, or close enough anyway..

Okay another really great episode, glad to see Gordon back again and Sam is a clever boy setting him up with the cops like that.... like if that was me I would have just shot him haha Pity Ava was taken or whatever at the end... really liked her character, still though Im loving the mystery of Sam and the other children and how it links to the demon, cannot wait to see how it all plays out.. and Jo is hunting full time now.. awesome! The show really needs a strong reacurring female hunter

Overall, yet another excellent episode in a so far fantastic season.

8/10

xxxevilgrinxxx
August 12th, 2010, 05:02 AM
I really liked Crossroad Blues and Croatoan as well. It's been a great season and yes, I fear fanboyness may be at fault :p

Crichiel
August 12th, 2010, 05:13 AM
The scores for this season are way higher then last seasons... guys is that an increase in quality or me becoming a fan boy lol? :D

I suspect a little bit of both! I can see your inner fanboy starting to show....but you are also in the middle of some pretty fantastic episodes in a pretty amazing season!

Puddle-Jumper
August 13th, 2010, 05:26 AM
I suspect a little bit of both! I can see your inner fanboy starting to show....but you are also in the middle of some pretty fantastic episodes in a pretty amazing season!

and I got a whole weekend of supernatural ahead of me :D

Crichiel
August 13th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Dang! I wish I could watch these for the first time again!

Puddle-Jumper
August 17th, 2010, 03:07 PM
S02E11 - Playthings

"why do these people assume we're gay?"

Not a bad episode, interesting to see that Sam is a real lightweight when it comes to his drinking haha. Interesting enough premise, loved seeing Conchita Campbell (the girl who played the ghost of maggie) who starred in the 4400, one of my favourite shows ever sadly cancelled before its time :D

Funny enough everyone thinking the brothers are gay, and that butler was creepy... Aside from that nothing really major about the episode, I liked how the stuff with Ava carried over, that she wasn't forgotten about cos I quite liked her...

Overally, good episode, nothing special about it though.

7/10

Puddle-Jumper
August 17th, 2010, 04:05 PM
S02E12 - Nightshifter

"This is not a robbery. Everybody on the floor, now!"

Damn... shapeshifters really cause trouble for the brothers and the law, real good episode though.. loved the the little doctor who reference in it, when Ronald held up a magazine with a cyberman on the front of it.. since I love Dr. Who... I liked that :D

The episode was pretty good, Ronald was a great character, and interesting now that the brothers have an actual agent assigned to catching them and what not, but surely they'd find that body of the chick and surmise that something not so normal is going on.. like Im waiting for the brothers to stumble across some top secret thing like the initiative from Buffy....

Overall, entertaining, great once off episode.

8/10

Puddle-Jumper
August 17th, 2010, 05:25 PM
S02E13 - Houses of the Holy

"Always take down your Christmas decorations after New Years, or you might get fileted by hooker from God."

Ah this episode had such a great premise, but it just didn't really deliver enough... at least I thought that anyway.. I love the quote from Dean I picked up for this episode too haha. Ammm it was all pretty much okay, like its about time the show addressed the fact that if theres supernatural evil, then there should be supernatural good too.. I can't quite put my finger on what it was about the episode though..

I like how freaked out Sam is getting about the demons plans for him though, and Im really looking forward to getting to see how it all plays out :D

Overall, a fine episode.. just missing something...

6/10

Puddle-Jumper
August 18th, 2010, 04:44 PM
S02E14 - Born Under A Bad Sign

"Dude you full on had a girl inside you for like a week"

I really really wanted this episode to actually be Sam going 'dark side' but alas I kinda figured it would turn out to be something else... pity.. at least it wasn't totally unrelated, like it was nice to see the demon formerly known as Meg again, but Im dying to find out the demons plans!!

Good episode, nothing spectacular, covering up another hunters murder, that'll come back to bite em I bet.. and Jo really seems to have grown up, like Id love for her to stick with the brothers for a while but shes doing good all the same. Also good job by jared padalecki in this ep, he really can do the whole evil thing pretty well.

Overall, like I said a fine episode, but wasn't amazing

7/10

Puddle-Jumper
August 23rd, 2010, 05:35 PM
S02E15 - Tall Tales

"Oh really? Cuz it's frozen now, on bustyasianbeauties.com"

haha nice to see a bit of a more lighthearted episode, and plus a roswell grey looking just like an asgard slow dancing to lady in red, how could I not like this episode!

Interesting villiant the trickster, like Bobby said he's immortal but then a wooden stake can sort it out easily enough... that doesn't make much sense.. then again it doesn't matter cos he lived in the end anyway... and if I was Dean, I would not have turned down the women. Thats about all here, funny episode, doesn't really affect the show overall

6/10

Puddle-Jumper
September 10th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Sorry I haven't posted in ages :( Uni is starting back and Ive been moving my stuff from home to my apartment and things have been a chaotic!... but back to the supernatural :D

S02E16 - Roadkill

Follow the creepy brick road.

Really enjoyed this... probably cos I haven't had a chance to watch any supernatural in so long :( ... also cos Tricia Helfer is freakin awesome! plus house of the rising sun.. unreal!

Great, twist at the end.. like I pretty much saw it coming but Im smarter then your average bear so :D Great villian, good set up, good location and I loved how we got to see a bit more on just how all these spirits are created and more of the mythology surrounding them.

Overall, best ghost episode so far.

9/10

Crichiel
September 13th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Holy cow! 9/10, really?!!

There was a bonus feature on the just released 5th season and in the speech the CW lady gave, she said that no two people have the same favourite episodes. It's why the show is so great, because there is something for everyone. I guess this proves it! ;)

I would list Roadkill as my absolute least favourite of the season. Not that the episode has nothing good in it, we're still talking about Supernatural here, and their worst is better than most shows' best! But this is the only real throw-away one for me: solid performances in an uninteresting story and no contribution to the mythology at large, nothing that shows the usual Supernatural flair....just my OPINION, no one hurt me! :o Honestly, I agree with the lady that it's cool how everyone likes different aspects! :)

starg8fans
September 13th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Holy cow! 9/10, really?!!

There was a bonus feature on the just released 5th season and in the speech the CW lady gave, she said that no two people have the same favourite episodes. It's why the show is so great, because there is something for everyone. I guess this proves it! ;)

I would list Roadkill as my absolute least favourite of the season. Not that the episode has nothing good in it, we're still talking about Supernatural here, and their worst is better than most shows' best! But this is the only real throw-away one for me: solid performances in an uninteresting story and no contribution to the mythology at large, nothing that shows the usual Supernatural flair....just my OPINION, no one hurt me! :o Honestly, I agree with the lady that it's cool how everyone likes different aspects! :)

Gotta agree with you here, I would have reversed the ratings for the last two eps. Tall Tales is one of my faves, while Roadkill somehow didn't do it for me. But as you said, to each their own. There's no 'wrong' way of looking at these eps, it's just a matter of personal preference.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the rest of the season, Puddle-Jumper.

Crichiel
September 29th, 2010, 07:11 AM
What happened? Did you give up? Or that nasty Real Life getting in the way?

Puddle-Jumper
October 2nd, 2010, 01:52 PM
Nasty real life! Im up to metaphorical tits in college work at the moment! I bearly have to watch SGU let alone the extras! I have several of my friends telling me to get back into it so hopefully Ill be back in a day or 2 :)

Puddle-Jumper
October 4th, 2010, 09:47 AM
S02E17 - Heart

"Unusual like.. unusual?"

Poor Sam... have to kill his girl like that... at least he got the Were-Sex outta it though, Ive heard only good things about that.. Really though it was a good episode, great to be back watching it, Im in my final year of uni now so Ive bearly time to watch SGU and what not, let alone SPN.

Liked the twist with her being a werewolf, didn't see that coming, I was hoping in the end it would turn out that she had turned the neighbour and not vica versa... but I liked how the episode panned out, that this was a monster that they actually could sit down and talk to and that it wasn't a simple case of 'bang bang'... (though it kinda was for Sam... Woooooooooooaaaaaaaaa)

Overally, good episode, though the werewolfs looked a bit crappy.

7/10

starg8fans
October 4th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Glad to see you're at it again! Yeah, that ep was full of twists and turns. I wonder if we see another werewolf in S6...

Puddle-Jumper
October 4th, 2010, 10:49 AM
S02E18 - Hollywood Babylon

Why would a ghost be afraid of salt?

HIGH-LARIOUS! Really loved this episode, it was great to see a humour orientated episode for a change, and this was brilliant, the stuff with McG was great, and the Gilmore Girls allusions and everything was just great :)

The villian was somewhat unbelievable though, like they change his script so he goes on a killing spree.... but meh the episode as a whole was still great though. Loved that Dean got the ride in the end! Aboy Dean haha

Overall, great episode, villian was a let down..

8/10

Crichiel
October 4th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Yeah, the story doesn't hold up great if you look at it too closely. But in these humourous ones, you just have to roll with it and enjoy the fun. Sounds like you were able to appreciate it for what it was which is good!

This is also an ep that gets funnier the more you learn about the show, because there are SO many less obvious in-jokes to supplement the overt ones.

star47
October 11th, 2010, 05:39 AM
I'm totally new to Supernatural,(one month) just started watching the first seasons being rerun on cable and trying to catch up, so your diagnosis of the episodes is really helping show me what I might have missed and reminding me of what I enjoyed about each of the same episodes you've listed. And it's just been fun reading what you have to say about episodes I've just seen.

Crichiel
October 11th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I'm totally new to Supernatural,(one month) just started watching the first seasons being rerun on cable and trying to catch up, so your diagnosis of the episodes is really helping show me what I might have missed and reminding me of what I enjoyed about each of the same episodes you've listed. And it's just been fun reading what you have to say about episodes I've just seen.

Yay! New victi....I mean, new fan!!! Enjoy the ride!

star47
October 14th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Yay! New victi....I mean, new fan!!! Enjoy the ride!

I cant' believe how quickly I've become obsessed, it took me longer to get that much into Stargate and other shows, but I just love the brotherly connection which is what drew me in and now I'm also enjoying the story lines. Just ordered all 5 seasons on DVD, so pretty soon, I'll catch up to everything in correct order.

Gamma626
October 16th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Just finished season 2. I popped in my blu for season 3 a few seconds ago. I really like this show.

Puddle-Jumper
February 25th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Apologies for being gone for so long. Im in my final year of university and I was knee deep in work for my final year project (deep water sponge associated bacteria, less boring then it sounds actually)

Anywho.. where was I..

S02E19 - Folsom Prison Blues

"Don't worry, Sam. I promise I won't trade you for smokes"

Okayish ep, there was nothing special about it. Pretty much your standard supernatural episode with a prison twist. The villian meh. There really isn't much to say. Nothing wrong with the episode but aside from the setting theres nothing memorable about it.

5/10

S2E20 - What Is And What Should Never Be

"I'm dating a nurse? That is so... respectable!"

Absolutely fantastic, the presmise is something done to death but loved it in this ep, and it was hilarious to top it off. Really liked the villian, it was great that it was just basically LSD and blood draining as opposed to actually granting wishes, good special effects. Best part about this ep was the end I though, when Dead said something along the lines of why do I have to save everyone. Really liked that, and it's something that would have to be addressed for these characters. No problems with the ep really... but I feel a perfect score could be too generous...

9/10

S02E21 & 22 - All Hell Breaks Loose

"Sam... you're not mad at me, are you?"

Finally got around to finishing season 2, it feels like I was completing a marathon at this stage but I made it. Great ender, more yellow eyed demon, loved the village setting for part 1 and how everything with the colt was worked into it, the episode stank of quality writing, in the best possible way :D Not quite the cliffhanger of season 1 but still enough to make me dig into season 3 asap

Overall great 2 parter, by no means perfect but very very good

8/10

Season 2 overall, was significantly better then season 1 I thought, the stories were better, the villians and settings were more creative and theres a lot more mythology there which I think is great.

Puddle-Jumper
February 25th, 2011, 01:31 PM
S03E01 - The Magnificant Seven

"So, we're eating bacon cheeseburgers for breakfast, are we?"

Excellent episode, again bit sad there wasn't some crazy cliffhanger like season 1 but Im not going to complain too much cos one was a dinger, the seven deadly sins, great concept... and sexy ruby!? Finally cos my friends KEEP mentioning her and I just have to nod along politely throwing in the occasional "Oh Yeah"
Loved the ep, they had to do a demon story next and they did a dinger. Tamara was a great addition for the episode... Ive seen her in something else but I can't place her... (To IMDB... Footballers wives I saw her in... minus 2 nerd points)

The whole thing with dean selling his soul is getting a bit old though, its a very very obvious plot device to work in ruby, and its only been one episode I already want Sam to stop moaning about it.. we'll see how things go..

Overall, fantastic episode, great season opener

9/10