PDA

View Full Version : Movie: The Abyss

Galileo_Galilee
June 25th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I have a question about this movie.

In one scene they are introducing a new liquid. They put it in a plastic box and put a rat in it. The rat doesn't drown. In other words, the liquid provides a source of oxygen.

Is this a real liquid? If it is a real liquid, what is its proper name?

Added:

They call it a fluid breathing system in the movie.

Pond Hopper
June 25th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I don't know anything about the fluid they use in the film, but the highly reputable Wikipedia has some information here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_breathing

Galileo_Galilee
June 26th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I've already seen that, thanks.

It doesn't really answer my question.

KEK
June 26th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Yes it does. If the method is only postulated, if obviously doesn't exist.

the fifth man
June 26th, 2010, 07:50 PM
What a great movie The Abyss was. It would be pretty awesome if that liquid did exist in real life.

Morbo
June 26th, 2010, 08:02 PM
director's cut is badass. the full length feature is fantastic.

the fifth man
June 26th, 2010, 08:05 PM
director's cut is badass. the full length feature is fantastic.

I completely agree with you.

Starbux
June 26th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Loved this movie too, but sure wish the ending would have been different...IMHO...I thought they should have not exposed the ship at the end and just found Bud floating on the surface in his suit, then they could have blamed his stories on the decompression sickness! I thought it would have been better to keep the mystery going! Did everybody else like the ending or am I alone in this thinking?

Starbux
June 26th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I have a question about this movie.

In one scene they are introducing a new liquid. They put it in a plastic box and put a rat in it. The rat doesn't drown. In other words, the liquid provides a source of oxygen.

Is this a real liquid? If it is a real liquid, what is its proper name?

Added:

They call it a fluid breathing system in the movie.

Hey, did you check out this website? I think it might be what you're looking for. It seems that this is real, but still being tested on animals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfluorocarbon

maneth
June 27th, 2010, 06:13 AM
It would have been better to keep the mystery going, but on the other hand I'm really glad of the director's cut. The theater release didn't give enough of a reason for the underwater aliens to behave as they did, and the theater ending fell completely flat.

The Abyss DC is my second-favorite movie ever, second only to Apollo 13.

Morbo
June 27th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Loved this movie too, but sure wish the ending would have been different...IMHO...I thought they should have not exposed the ship at the end and just found Bud floating on the surface in his suit, then they could have blamed his stories on the decompression sickness! I thought it would have been better to keep the mystery going! Did everybody else like the ending or am I alone in this thinking?

you're alone.

the fifth man
June 27th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I liked the way the movie ended.

knowles2
June 28th, 2010, 05:06 AM
I like the way the movie ended. I hate movies that end in mystery unless they got a sequal film ready to go, then it fine. But generally a story should end with most of the question answered.

jmoz
June 28th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I like the way the movie ended. I hate movies that end in mystery unless they got a sequal film ready to go, then it fine. But generally a story should end with most of the question answered.

Ever see Contact? I never got around to reading it though.

Alan Wake
June 28th, 2010, 05:40 AM

Bit of a heavy read.

But the movie is good. It doesn't end in mystery... but yet it does.

jmoz
June 28th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Bit of a heavy read.

Yea, why I couldn't get myself to start to read it. lol it doesn't end in mystery but yet it does, oxymoron.

Starbux
June 28th, 2010, 07:29 AM
you're alone.

I liked the way the movie ended.

LOL, Well, that's OK....to each his own, but I think I'm going to check out that Director's Cut. It sounds interesting!!

Alan Wake
June 28th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Yea, why I couldn't get myself to start to read it. lol it doesn't end in mystery but yet it does, oxymoron.

I mean it leaves you wondering what's going to happen next. but at the same time, it doesn't.

knowles2
June 28th, 2010, 08:51 AM

Was not much a mystery for the Audience we know she met aliens an we know the device did work, the only mystery is how the aliens took it offline an how exactly they manipulated time, in the way the film suggests they did. But considering the whole idea is base around a ground central station for the Galaxy, they probably shut down our station until we evolve a bit more.

It more of a mystery for the characters than the audience. Through I would love to learn about the rest of the procedure the aliens use to introduce a primitive race like us to the galaxy community. It would make a good sequel to learn more about the aliens motives which is the only real mystery an it was sought of explained with in the film "they been doing it this way for thousands of years" I think that what he said. This was the introduction, would love to see humans aliens sit down for some dinner in the next one.

jmoz
June 28th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Yea, I was totally bummed out about how little is actually found out about the aliens. And they didn't even invent the gates. Made me wonder. Although this was really similar to a lot of the first contact movies/books that came out back then. I only recently watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind cause I wasn't even a kid then and it still was sorta good. I read the Clarke books of the Odyssey just to find out about the aliens, it was oddly satisfying, some aspects.

the fifth man
June 28th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Bit of a heavy read.

Really, really good book. OK movie.

aaobuttons
July 18th, 2010, 12:44 PM
The fluid breathing is real. In a behind the scenes documentary, they talk about how they actually did the scene with three different mice, and all three of them breathed the water. In the UK, they had to cut the scene because the UK Animal Cruelty wouldn't give their okay to the film with the scene in.

If you all were wanting to know a bit more about the aliens in the movie, read Orson Scott Card's novelization of the movie. It's fantastic and shows the aliens point of view interwoven with the motivations of Bud, Lindsay, and Coffee. And James Cameron approved everything he put in so it's canon.