X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie: The Abyss

I have a question about this movie.

In one scene they are introducing a new liquid. They put it in a plastic box and put a rat in it. The rat doesn't drown. In other words, the liquid provides a source of oxygen.

Is this a real liquid? If it is a real liquid, what is its proper name?

Added:

They call it a fluid breathing system in the movie.
    Last edited by Galileo_Galilee; 25 June 2010, 03:08 PM.

I don't know anything about the fluid they use in the film, but the highly reputable Wikipedia has some information here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_breathing

Comment

I've already seen that, thanks.

It doesn't really answer my question.

Comment

Yes it does. If the method is only postulated, if obviously doesn't exist.

Comment

What a great movie The Abyss was. It would be pretty awesome if that liquid did exist in real life.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

director's cut is badass. the full length feature is fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
              director's cut is badass. the full length feature is fantastic.
              I completely agree with you.
              sigpic
              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Loved this movie too, but sure wish the ending would have been different...IMHO...I thought they should have not exposed the ship at the end and just found Bud floating on the surface in his suit, then they could have blamed his stories on the decompression sickness! I thought it would have been better to keep the mystery going! Did everybody else like the ending or am I alone in this thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
                  I have a question about this movie.

In one scene they are introducing a new liquid. They put it in a plastic box and put a rat in it. The rat doesn't drown. In other words, the liquid provides a source of oxygen.

Is this a real liquid? If it is a real liquid, what is its proper name?

Added:

They call it a fluid breathing system in the movie.
                  Hey, did you check out this website? I think it might be what you're looking for. It seems that this is real, but still being tested on animals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfluorocarbon

Comment

It would have been better to keep the mystery going, but on the other hand I'm really glad of the director's cut. The theater release didn't give enough of a reason for the underwater aliens to behave as they did, and the theater ending fell completely flat.

The Abyss DC is my second-favorite movie ever, second only to Apollo 13.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Starbux View Post
                      Loved this movie too, but sure wish the ending would have been different...IMHO...I thought they should have not exposed the ship at the end and just found Bud floating on the surface in his suit, then they could have blamed his stories on the decompression sickness! I thought it would have been better to keep the mystery going! Did everybody else like the ending or am I alone in this thinking?
                      you're alone.

Comment

I liked the way the movie ended.
                        sigpic
                        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I like the way the movie ended. I hate movies that end in mystery unless they got a sequal film ready to go, then it fine. But generally a story should end with most of the question answered.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                            I like the way the movie ended. I hate movies that end in mystery unless they got a sequal film ready to go, then it fine. But generally a story should end with most of the question answered.
                            Ever see Contact? I never got around to reading it though.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                              Ever see Contact? I never got around to reading it though.
                              Bit of a heavy read.

But the movie is good. It doesn't end in mystery... but yet it does.

Comment

Working...
                              X