Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do radio waves travel both ways through a 9 symbol address?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do radio waves travel both ways through a 9 symbol address?

It has been well established that it is possible to communicate via radio both ways through an open wormhole.

However
    Spoiler:
    twice
    now someone has travelled to Destiny and not been heard from over the radio. It has not been clear whether this is because the attempt was not made or because it did not work, but I have to wonder if the sheer distance means that there is at least a delay in the radio signal reaching the origin of the wormhole. In the pilot Scott radioed back to tell the refugees to slow the rate they were coming through the gate but we didn't see if it was received
    Spoiler:
    and in Incursion Kiva received no radio confirmation of a safe arrival of her soldiers. Did they not send one?

The wormholes aren't actually caused by giant worms are they?
    "The laws of favours are amongst the most fundamental in the multiverse. The first law is: nobody asks for just one favour; the second request (after the granting of the first favour), prefaced by ‘and can I be really cheeky…?’ is the asking of the second favour. If the aforesaid second request is not granted, the second law ensures that the need for any gratitude for the first favour is nullified, and in accordance with the third law the favour giver has not done any favours at all, and the favour field collapses." - Terry Pratchett.

It is likely that due to the overload the gate did not forward radio signals correctly. That's also why the people came flying through, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiristi View Post
      It is likely that due to the overload the gate did not forward radio signals correctly. That's also why the people came flying through, I think.
      I thought that the superman effect happened because the gates weren't perfectly sync'd. Like how early Gate travel did the same thing before the SGC calculated for interstellar drift and because there was no proper DHD.

Still I suppose anything is possible in a made up science. I say it was caused by cheese.

That's right, you heard me.
      "The laws of favours are amongst the most fundamental in the multiverse. The first law is: nobody asks for just one favour; the second request (after the granting of the first favour), prefaced by ‘and can I be really cheeky…?’ is the asking of the second favour. If the aforesaid second request is not granted, the second law ensures that the need for any gratitude for the first favour is nullified, and in accordance with the third law the favour giver has not done any favours at all, and the favour field collapses." - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

it's probably because it's such a long-distance connection.

Comment

Originally posted by bobsuncorp View Post
          I thought that the superman effect happened because the gates weren't perfectly sync'd. Like how early Gate travel did the same thing before the SGC calculated for interstellar drift and because there was no proper DHD.
          I think it's more like what happened to Jack (and Teal'c?) in Torment of Tantalus. The gate got an overload spike and the travellers came in faster than they should.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiristi View Post
            I think it's more like what happened to Jack (and Teal'c?) in Torment of Tantalus. The gate got an overload spike and the travellers came in faster than they should.
            Good point, I had forgotten about that. Definitely a possibility.

Comment

That makes sense: Destiny is several billion light-years away. This means that if the Gate's targeting mechanism is off by even 1 arcsecond, the wormhole will be off by several thousand light-years. Since there may be a physical limitation on how precisely they can target a wormhole, it would seem that wormholes don't fare well at long distances.
              "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
              - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
              - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
              - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                That makes sense: Destiny is several billion light-years away. This means that if the Gate's targeting mechanism is off by even 1 arcsecond, the wormhole will be off by several thousand light-years. Since there may be a physical limitation on how precisely they can target a wormhole, it would seem that wormholes don't fare well at long distances.
                And lets not forget that even when not in FTL Destiny is constantly moving. I mean technically a planet is constantly moving, but nowhere near at the same velocity as a ship.

Comment

And lets not forget that even when not in FTL Destiny is constantly moving. I mean technically a planet is constantly moving, but nowhere near at the same velocity as a ship.
                  No. There is no reason why a ship has to be "faster" than a planet, as ships can not only orbit planets, but can also orbit stars: all objects orbiting a star have the exact same orbit, at the same speed. Moreover, Destiny has no difficulty dialing the local 'Gates, so the problem cannot be due to movement relative to them.

That said, there could be an issue with the cosmological redshift, but that comes back to distance.
                  "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                  - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                  - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                  - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Well at the very beginning of Air Scott radio's back and says "This is Scott! Slow down the evac –- we are comin' in too hot!"

But its either ignored cos everyone is freaking out, or wasn't recieved...

It may not be anything to do with the 9 chevron address just perhaps the distance from Destiny to Icarus was so long that the wormhole was more unstable or something along the lines...
                    I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Still I suppose anything is possible in a made up science. I say it was caused by cheese.

actually as we have seen, when you attach an unstable energy source to a gate, people tend to come out faster than they enter (Solitudes, The Fifith Race) while stable forms do not cause that (Rising)

i think the distance combined with the unstable energy caused too much interference for radio waves. also a reason as to why carter couldnt beam those F-302 pilots out.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                        i think the distance combined with the unstable energy caused too much interference for radio waves. also a reason as to why carter couldnt beam those F-302 pilots out.
                        I thought she couldn't beam them out because they were still inside the shield?

Comment

Intriguing, I wonder what kind of cheese
                          LIKES: Half-Life, Half-Life 2, ST: DS-9, ST: TNG, Eric Clapton, GTA 4, SGU, MW + MW2, Red Dead Redemption,
                          Scarlett Johansson, Father Ted, The Portal Series, The Assassin's Creed Series, Trailer Park Boys.

DISLIKES: Reality T.V Shows and so called reality t.v stars, people who don't wear seatbelts,
                          99.999% of new Music out now, 80% of new Movies out now.

Last Game Completed: Portal 2

Last Movie Watched For The First Time: Dumbo (1941)

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                            actually as we have seen, when you attach an unstable energy source to a gate, people tend to come out faster than they enter (Solitudes, The Fifith Race) while stable forms do not cause that (Rising)

Yes definitely do to the unstable energy source. The planet core was showing dangerous spike of energy which probably was transfered to the gate.
                            sigpic
                            - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by SpinningChevron View Post
                              Intriguing, I wonder what kind of cheese
                              Wensleydale, obviously.

Comment

Working...
                              X