Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is possible to artifically create an Icarus-Like Planet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naquadria, a highly unstable radioactive isotope of naquadah.It is so rare that SG1 first encounter it when they visit Jonas's homewolrd (Langara).

Later we discover , it was create artificially by Goa'uld.

Then we find two Icarus-Like Planet in milkyway with natural Naquadria core.Both were destory.

After a few Naquadria bomb esplusion (underground and abrove) on Jonas home planet .Langara's Naquadah deposit was slowing transform into Naquadria .The transformation process happen with in one or two yr.
    As the transformation get deeper, the tempature get hotter, it gets unstable.
    A huge part of Jonas's continental plate would have exploded and the dust would make the rest of the planet uninhabitable.But SG1 stopped that.
    What if it did explode.? And somehow the planet remain in one piece then after may be a few year could Langara turn into an Icarus-Like Planet?

Could Earth or Lucian alliance use create an Icarus ike planet using similar method?

it's possible but very tricky, if the chain reaction on Langara had not been stopped, well there wouldn't be a planet anymore.

naquahdah already is a very dangerous material, the conversion process is even more dangerous. you'd need just the right planet with just the right naquahdah veins

Comment

I do think it is possible, in fact a part of me wonders if ALL the Icarus planets in the Milky Way were artificially created, possibly by the Ancients, at the same time (or soon after) they launched Destiny. Maybe it was never their intention for anyone to live on Langara and so it wouldn't matter if it blew up.

It does seem like an extreme method of producing power though, sure you can get to Destiny, but only by blowing up a planet.
      "The laws of favours are amongst the most fundamental in the multiverse. The first law is: nobody asks for just one favour; the second request (after the granting of the first favour), prefaced by ‘and can I be really cheeky…?’ is the asking of the second favour. If the aforesaid second request is not granted, the second law ensures that the need for any gratitude for the first favour is nullified, and in accordance with the third law the favour giver has not done any favours at all, and the favour field collapses." - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

Originally posted by bobsuncorp View Post
        I do think it is possible, in fact a part of me wonders if ALL the Icarus planets in the Milky Way were artificially created, possibly by the Ancients, at the same time (or soon after) they launched Destiny. Maybe it was never their intention for anyone to live on Langara and so it wouldn't matter if it blew up.

It does seem like an extreme method of producing power though, sure you can get to Destiny, but only by blowing up a planet.
        Via Joe Mallozzi's blog (http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ellen-kushner/):

Kevin writes: “(1) I thought it was established that Naquadria was some kind of isotope of Naquadah in the sense it didn’t occur naturally. (ie. the bomb on Kelowna created more Naquadria). Are these ‘Icarus’ planets somehow naturally occuring ‘now’? Or were they the product of Anubis getting the info from Quinn and then testing it out? And only ‘now’ are people discovering his old testing grounds? (always wondered about that).”

Answer: Yes, we’ve established that Naquadria is not naturally occurring. The assumption is that these are old testing grounds abandoned since the fall of the goa’uld.
        If Earth does attempt this, I think they will have to find a few planets that are uninhabited and suitable which might take some time. I think if they have more than one, plus some dummy sites, will help keep themselves from getting attacked again and increase the chances of one of the planets staying stable.
        My Minecraft Stargatesigpic

Comment

Respect to JM but I still like the idea that it was the Ancients who first created the Naquadria planets for the reason they are being used for. The Langara Go'Auld was just trying to replicate the mineral, he was not the first to create it. Just the first Go'Auld.
          "The laws of favours are amongst the most fundamental in the multiverse. The first law is: nobody asks for just one favour; the second request (after the granting of the first favour), prefaced by ‘and can I be really cheeky…?’ is the asking of the second favour. If the aforesaid second request is not granted, the second law ensures that the need for any gratitude for the first favour is nullified, and in accordance with the third law the favour giver has not done any favours at all, and the favour field collapses." - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

I would wager that the Ancients might have done some research into Naquadria, but I don't think that they would have created planets of the stuff. I think the planets are the result of Goa'ud experiments, where they could have slaves mine it out for them to experiment on.

Depending on the era that the Ancients might have dabbled in Naquadria, I don't think they would need planets to make it. But then again, the gates themselves have naquadah in them, so maybe it was a way to create more efficient gates, letting them dial farther on their own?

I am on board with the Goa'uld being the ones making the planets. They have had a long time to figure out the mysteries of what the Ancients left and know a lot more about it then Earth, so I wouldn't put it past them.

Comment

Originally posted by AquaGamer53 View Post
              I would wager that the Ancients might have done some research into Naquadria, but I don't think that they would have created planets of the stuff. I think the planets are the result of Goa'ud experiments, where they could have slaves mine it out for them to experiment on.

Depending on the era that the Ancients might have dabbled in Naquadria, I don't think they would need planets to make it. But then again, the gates themselves have naquadah in them, so maybe it was a way to create more efficient gates, letting them dial farther on their own?

I am on board with the Goa'uld being the ones making the planets. They have had a long time to figure out the mysteries of what the Ancients left and know a lot more about it then Earth, so I wouldn't put it past them.
              Splash!

I've jiust jumped overboard on the Goa-uld being the ones.

My problem is the time it would take to convert a planet. I think the reason Langara was in so much danger is because the conversion was accelerated by the bomb test and later usage. Even so I think it took about 5 years to convert one major seam under a continental shelf. I think the Icarus planets (based on my extensive degrees on astrogeology I just awarded myself) would take decades if not centuries to convert entirely in a safe (not inhabitable safe but not blowing up safe you understand) way. We can take it as good intel that no Goa'Uld knew about Naquadria before the Langara snakehead or in the centuries since simply because none of them tried to use it, and because Anubis didn't know about it before he probed Jonas' mind. So to me that means that the system lords either didn't know about or didn't realise the significance of the Icarus planets during their reign. And I don't think that Anubis had enough time to create all of them.

It seems much more likely to me these planets were created FOR the method of reaching Destiny they are currently being used for, they were never used for the same reason the Destiny was never used - the Ancients abandoned the project when they ascended.

Comment

Originally posted by bobsuncorp View Post
                My problem is the time it would take to convert a planet. I think the reason Langara was in so much danger is because the conversion was accelerated by the bomb test and later usage. Even so I think it took about 5 years to convert one major seam under a continental shelf. I think the Icarus planets (based on my extensive degrees on astrogeology I just awarded myself) would take decades if not centuries to convert entirely in a safe (not inhabitable safe but not blowing up safe you understand) way. We can take it as good intel that no Goa'Uld knew about Naquadria before the Langara snakehead or in the centuries since simply because none of them tried to use it, and because Anubis didn't know about it before he probed Jonas' mind. So to me that means that the system lords either didn't know about or didn't realise the significance of the Icarus planets during their reign. And I don't think that Anubis had enough time to create all of them.
                It could be that they are a result of the Goa'uld who was originally researching Naquadria, or one of his allies, in which case, the planets would have had thousands of years to develop.
                "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                  It could be that they are a result of the Goa'uld who was originally researching Naquadria, or one of his allies, in which case, the planets would have had thousands of years to develop.
                  Good point. I assumed that Langara was the first time he tried it, but there is no reason that has to be true. I guess my only remaining card is the correlation between the planets existence and their current purpose, that makes me think the Ancients put them there SO they could eventually get to Destiny.

Comment

Obviously, it is possible. Earth is here isn't it? It is definitely beyond our level of technology though. We probably could not produce or harness the energy required for such an undertaking.

Generally, any naturally occurring process could be artificially duplicated. Planet and star formation are natural processes, so in theory, you could figure out a way to either speed that up, or do it artificially.

Comment

Originally posted by kwlafayette View Post
                      Obviously, it is possible. Earth is here isn't it? It is definitely beyond our level of technology though. We probably could not produce or harness the energy required for such an undertaking.

Generally, any naturally occurring process could be artificially duplicated. Planet and star formation are natural processes, so in theory, you could figure out a way to either speed that up, or do it artificially.
                      Eh?

We are talking about taking a Naquidah laced planet and converting it into Naquadria on a planetary scale. What are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by kwlafayette View Post

What do you mean by the bolded? I mean Earth isn't an Icarus-like planet...

Comment

Speaking of Icarus, I wonder if the person who named the project knew what would happen to the planet? Icarus, as everyone knows, flew too close to the sun and burned (well actually he just melted the wax holding his wings, but the metaphor of moth to the flames is there) and the planet exploded in a huge fireball.

Daedalus however, was Icarus' father, and he was able to return to Earth safely - which is why Daedalus was a better name for a spaceship than Icarus. Would you want to fly in a ship called Titanic? Same thing.

Prometheus was also a good name because he stole fire from the Gods, leading to man's first great technological leap, and we took the ability to fly from the Egyptian and Norse Gods (Goa'Uld and Asgard). Just don't think about what happened to Prometheus (he was condemned to have his guts ripped out by birds over and over for eternity).

Comment

My unfounded theory: you cant convert a naquadah-rich planet safely to naquadriah by chain reaction, Langara-style. Partially converting the planet to naquadriah creates an imbalance in the naquadah:naquadria relationship that unstabilizes the mineral and inevitably drives the system towards an explosion. You can only get Icarus-type planets when a naquadah-rich planet is converted en masse, through natural irradiation from a powerful source like a black hole or a nearby pulsar or GRB

Of course, who knows with a ZPM and the Asgard core, if we'd be able to irradiate a planet from a ship to make it Icarus-type?

Comment

Originally posted by droid327 View Post
                              My unfounded theory: you cant convert a naquadah-rich planet safely to naquadriah by chain reaction, Langara-style. Partially converting the planet to naquadriah creates an imbalance in the naquadah:naquadria relationship that unstabilizes the mineral and inevitably drives the system towards an explosion. You can only get Icarus-type planets when a naquadah-rich planet is converted en masse, through natural irradiation from a powerful source like a black hole or a nearby pulsar or GRB

Of course, who knows with a ZPM and the Asgard core, if we'd be able to irradiate a planet from a ship to make it Icarus-type?
                              Only one part of that doesn't make sense to me. Whats GRB?

Comment

Working...
                              X