"This ship does not belong to us"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"This ship does not belong to us"

We have heard this mysterious line been said twice, once by Telford (Subversion) and once by Varro (Incursion part 2), but what does it mean?

In Subversion, Telford's line could be interpreted as just some "brainwashed ramble" but it could also be the point of view of the LA (specially in the context he says it). But I didn't think much of it at the time.

Strangely enough, the same line is spoken again by an LA character (Varro) in Incursion part 2. You know, as the say, once is a coincidence, twice is a pattern (I sincerely doubt that he is also brainwashed, as Telford was).

However, before yesterdays ep I felt that I wanted to re-watch Human (1.14) again, don't recall exactly why, just wanted to, 'cos it was such an amazing ep. And what I found interesting, amongst other things, was two things in particular, namely, Daniel's line "Our source inside the Lucian Alliance has come through. We've got the location of a planet that might just suit our power requirements." and Rush's line "I'll devote two and a half years to that (solving the issues dialling the 9th chevron) and fail".
    Those two lines got me thinking that It is not so far fetched perhaps to think that the planet Daniel was talking about was in fact provided by Telford and that the time-frame is also perhaps plausible.

So, what I'm trying to say is that, perhaps it is true that the 9th chevron was something the LA had been working on for quite some time and that they hold a gudge against us for taking it from them. Something that also makes it plausible is that I've read somewhere on this forum that in the extended Air ep Rush had mentioned that the 9th chevron "story/myth, etc" is common throughout the MW galaxy. But since I haven't seen it myself I can't be sure his line went exactly like that.

I don't think it actually belongs to anyone. The LA seems to think just because they knew about it (IMO) before earth did, it somehow belongs to the LA and they have a right to take it by force and kill anyone who gets in their way. Our people got their first, which to me means they have priority rights. But, then, what do I know?

Comment

It should, in a perfect world, belong to all of humanity. But given how the Lucian Alliance will probably use the technology to extort others, I don't think they should just take it for themselves.

That said, Earth is probably just going to use the technology or secrets to enforce their own will same as the LA, so... *shrug*
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

It's like the Russians and the Americans and the moon landing.

Russians: We were going there first! The moon is ours!

Americans: We got there first!

Comment

Since the Destiny is not a moon but an object. The Destiny does belong to the earth crew who found it and got there first.
          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

no Destiny belongs to me, why because I said so, the LA can't just barge in and take it, they haven't even made a down payment yet

Comment

Yeah I just took it to mean "Earth has no more claim to Ancient technology than non-Earth-aligned humans"

I didnt take it to mean that the LA thought it was specifically theirs and no one else's, just that the SGC cant make a claim to "own" Destiny or say that the LA has no right to access it either.

Wray will probably end up agreeing with that point of view come October and hand over half the ship to them, too

Comment

What I don't understand is why no one asked the LA the simple question " why are you here? " the whole show. Seriously they all know they are stuck there and not even one of the scientists were curious? Who voluntarily strands themselves on a ship with no way home.

If I was there I'd be asking them " Hey you guys got a way home? You can have the ship, just help us get home too. "

Comment

Originally posted by Paladine View Post
                  What I don't understand is why no one asked the LA the simple question " why are you here? " the whole show. Seriously they all know they are stuck there and not even one of the scientists were curious? Who voluntarily strands themselves on a ship with no way home.

If I was there I'd be asking them " Hey you guys got a way home? You can have the ship, just help us get home too. "
                  that may happen when everything settles down a bit and they're hopefully not having to deal with a leader that has no room for anyone else (Kiva) and maybe dealing with just average folks?
                  sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I think its pretty obvious that neither of them planned to end up stranded on Destiny....neither had intended to destroy their Icarus-type planets when they dialed Destiny, but both were under attack and they had no choice.

I think the LA clearly were planning on being able to dial Destiny at will once they solved the 9th chevron and took it, meaning they could send over whatever supplies and personnel they needed to get Destiny back to the MW and/or be able to dial out from Destiny.

Comment

Like anything, if one has the power to hold it, then it belongs to them. Capture the flag - 'might makes right' - etc, etc.

HERMIOD: 'Crap' indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Paladine View Post

Rush would want to stay behind on the Destiny.

Comment

What about Atlantis, is it ours, or is it like Destiny and for the benefit of all humanity, why don't we just invite the LA to Earth and have a nice look at Atlantis

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                            Since the Destiny is not a moon but an object. The Destiny does belong to the earth crew who found it and got there first.
                            This kind of reasoning means that Destiny should belong to the blue aliens ... if they left the ship just after the human came on board it means that the aliens were the first on the ship .

Coming back to the meaning of "this ship does not belong to us". For me this means that the human team is still very far from mastering the ship : they are just passengers because the ship is continuing its initial mission / programming .

Comment

Originally posted by HyperspaceDaemon View Post
                              This kind of reasoning means that Destiny should belong to the blue aliens ... if they left the ship just after the human came on board it means that the aliens were the first on the ship .

Coming back to the meaning of "this ship does not belong to us". For me this means that the human team is still very far from mastering the ship : they are just passengers because the ship is continuing its initial mission / programming .
                              That doesn't really work because the blue aliens never got on the ship. They tried but failed
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X