Stratedgy (or strategy) part 2!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stratedgy (or strategy) part 2!

So my question is, should Young have allowed Wray to tell Kiva about the Pulsar?

The lights flickering was the distraction that ultimately got the redshirt killed, and earlier than that got the LA member burned to a crisp. While the problem was unexplained and unpredictable it made sense for Kiva and Young to work together, but once Young knew down to a fraction of a second when it would next happen, shouldn't he have planned his next move accordingly?

Shouldn't he have planned a strike to take advantage of the situation instead of telling Kiva exactly when it would happen and allowing her fanatacism to take control of the situation? After all, she has proven she will risk and kill her own people to gain control, he has proven he is unwilling to risk 1 person. He can't risk a game of chicken with her and they both know it.

They had 2 more pulsar cycles left, should he have tried to regain control and THEN fix the ship?

Anyone else have any back seat Colonel ideas?
    "The laws of favours are amongst the most fundamental in the multiverse. The first law is: nobody asks for just one favour; the second request (after the granting of the first favour), prefaced by ‘and can I be really cheeky…?’ is the asking of the second favour. If the aforesaid second request is not granted, the second law ensures that the need for any gratitude for the first favour is nullified, and in accordance with the third law the favour giver has not done any favours at all, and the favour field collapses." - Terry Pratchett.

yes, I think it's good Kiva got told, otherwise she might have thought that Young was doing something - that Kiva could stop if she shot enough people. Young needed Kiva to let them try to fix what they could before they all died and none of them got Destiny. There's nothing Young could have done about the lights flickering anyway. I have the feeling that Young is keeping a very close eye on the time of those flickering lights. Fighting for control while they all die, or, try to save everyone and then go back to fighting for control.

In any case, I think that he's probably waiting for the lights to go out again, when he may have an advantage over the situation? Or the other side that they're in the room with has the same disadvantage?

Have to wait till next season to see how it plays out.
    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Yeah I agree, Kiva was a wild cannon and when anything goes wrong, she assumes its Young and kills a hostage. You have to keep her in the loop.

Besides, her knowing doesnt change the actual situation. You can still use it to your advantage if you find an opening, all you've given up is the element of surprise, and I dont see what that alone could have done for Young - the hostages negate any chance of a first-strike attack.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
        I have the feeling that Young is keeping a very close eye on the time of those flickering lights.
        In truth, the very last scene of the ep, where everyone is being forced to their knees and Young looks up at the lights expectantly just as they begin to flicker.. I was expecting to see a slight smirk on his face as if he knows something that the LA (and we) don't know. I would love to see a flashback in the s2 premier where he is giving orders for a new plan. Maybe it will be as simple as using the distraction to grab nearby guns, or maybe that is what he is planning to do, but I just have to believe that he has another card up his sleeve.

Like TJ said "When you took this ship, that made it war.. And that's what WE do".
        "The laws of favours are amongst the most fundamental in the multiverse. The first law is: nobody asks for just one favour; the second request (after the granting of the first favour), prefaced by ‘and can I be really cheeky…?’ is the asking of the second favour. If the aforesaid second request is not granted, the second law ensures that the need for any gratitude for the first favour is nullified, and in accordance with the third law the favour giver has not done any favours at all, and the favour field collapses." - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

Originally posted by bobsuncorp View Post
          In truth, the very last scene of the ep, where everyone is being forced to their knees and Young looks up at the lights expectantly just as they begin to flicker.. I was expecting to see a slight smirk on his face as if he knows something that the LA (and we) don't know. I would love to see a flashback in the s2 premier where he is giving orders for a new plan. Maybe it will be as simple as using the distraction to grab nearby guns, or maybe that is what he is planning to do, but I just have to believe that he has another card up his sleeve.

Like TJ said "When you took this ship, that made it war.. And that's what WE do".
          yeah, I';m like Greer that way. I have faith that he's going to do the right thing at the right time. That he's made mistakes doesn't really shake that for me. Also agreed on the TJ thought. This is what he does. Where he's failing is in trying to keep people alive, his plans for war aren't that bad. Lights flicker off, all those soldiers take out the LA guys who likely aren't expecting the lights to go off at that moment, and the tide will turn in the last act I hope.....
          Last edited by xxxevilgrinxxx; 12 June 2010, 12:24 PM.
          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

The impression I got from Young looking at the ceiling was he was praying. I don't know if he's particularly religious or not, but it seems like just about the only thing left to do in that situation.

The plan would have worked fine if Kiva and Telford hadn't shot each other right when Telford was transferring control back to Rush. They could have locked up the LA and vented the air while keeping the hostages safe, and Scott and Greer would have been able to get back inside the shield.

Still, I think Young should have had a backup plan. Relying on Telford to be able to transfer control without Kiva finding out was, to me, an obvious weak point in the plan even before I knew how it turned out, and they should have come up with a contingency in case something like that happened.

EDIT: I don't think the military personnel are going to suddenly jump the LA guys when the lights flicker. The LA has all the guns, and for a coordinated attack like that they'd have to talk about it beforehand (which I don't think they did) or Young would have to shout "Take them!" which would give the LA guys plenty of warning to start shooting.
            Last edited by dgh64; 12 June 2010, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Well you know, now that I think about it... what was it they kept saying at the beginning of the series?

They kept saying Young didn't want the job because he didn't want to keep being in a position to lose people. That it affected him too much. I'd have to go back and rembmer the quotes... but it just struck me that they've been telling us about this aspect before.

Comment

I don't really see why Telford tried to shoot Kiva. Couldn't he have bluffed out of the situation? Or did she pull her gun before he pulled his?

It's not just Young's decisions we should be second guessing.

Comment

Kiva had been looking at him suspiciously all day. She knew that he had temporarily "died" and maybe knew that it could have remove the brainwashing. Then when he was at the console she came in with her gun already levelled at him, and I was surprised he even had time to draw before she shot him. Maybe she was hoping for an explanation and he took her by surprised?

Comment

Originally posted by dgh64 View Post
                    Kiva had been looking at him suspiciously all day. Then when he was at the console she came in with her gun already levelled at him, and I was surprised he even had time to draw before she shot him.
                    Fair enough, I couldn't remember exactly how it went down. Maybe Telford was taking lessons from Raylan Gibbons.

Comment

For some reason they decided to back the camera off and watch the action through a stairway, so it was kinda hard to see.

Comment

You took the time and effort to type it out twice and put one of them in parentheses, but you couldn't be bothered to look up how it's spelled?
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          You took the time and effort to type it out twice and put one of them in parentheses, but you couldn't be bothered to look up how it's spelled?
                          It was actually a joke on a thread on Incursion part 1 where someone started a very successful topic about what Col Young should have done rather than venting the gate room (or how he could have vented more efficiently etc). Except the title was spelt with a "d". ie incorrectly. The joke being that typo's happen to everyone, but in the title?

Thanks for doing your research though..

Comment

Can't expect me to keep on top of all the threads on this forum
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                            X