PDA

View Full Version : Eli Hogging All The Food

Nitegate
June 9th, 2010, 01:40 AM
i'm sure it's been mentioned in other threads, but Eli looks bigger than when he got on the Destiny

he's the Hurley of Lost, he's hoarding the space ranch dressing :sheppard28:

his man boobs are bigger than Chloes :sheppard28: :docianime15: :prior:

Avenger
June 9th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Suspension of disbelief.

MattSilver 3k
June 9th, 2010, 02:48 AM
His man boobs are bigger than Chloes

I should hope so, given Chloe has woman boobs and not man boobs.

And Jesus Zombie Christ, what's with all the kids harping on about Eli's weight? Seriously, it's not that big of a deal.

jmoz
June 9th, 2010, 02:52 AM
I don't mind Eli, he is probably the most normal person on board.

I think it's more the semantics of it of the show, he should have lost weight due to I think the omnivorous diet and less protein. Just you know, the food supply on the Destiny and whatnot.

escyos
June 9th, 2010, 03:08 AM
you are aware that suddenly dropping eating down to very little WONT cause you to lose wieght, his metabolism would be used to a lot of calories and will SLOW DOWN without food. he probably looks bigger because of his hair

Phenom
June 9th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Have you guys ever stood next to a girl the size of Chloe? She would be lucky to weigh 40kg dripping wet. Any dude bigger than Rush is going to look slightly on the larger side. Build a bridge and get over it.

Steelbox
June 9th, 2010, 05:12 AM
It may be only an ilusion. An unintended play with shadows and light which makes Eli seams bigger, or because of his hair as escyos said.

Phenom
June 9th, 2010, 05:17 AM
It may be only an ilusion. An unintended play with shadows and light which makes Eli seams bigger, or because of his hair as escyos said.

His hair only looks big due to his abnormally large head. its probably due to the lighting on Destiny.....like Mulder's hair on the X-Files.

Puddle-Jumper
June 9th, 2010, 05:17 AM
I hope David Blue doesn't read this thread...

Lahela
June 9th, 2010, 05:26 AM

Indeed.

Zkyire
June 9th, 2010, 05:37 AM
you are aware that suddenly dropping eating down to very little WONT cause you to lose wieght, his metabolism would be used to a lot of calories and will SLOW DOWN without food. he probably looks bigger because of his hair

Your metabolism slows down alright, but doesn't stop.

That being; Eli would still lose weight. Just not as much if he was on a controlled healthy diet.

Now, on the other hand, in a recent episode, didn't Young say that "rationing would begin again" or something? Which would indicate that because of all their planetary trips, they had, up until that point, enough food so they didn't have to ration?

So they wouldn't have a huge selection (why is why everyone is so dreary over it) but still enough to keep them well fed.

Besides, the military guys, with all their muscle, doesn't seem to be decreasing in muscle mass. Scott looks the same now as he did when he arrived. Muscle needs protein. If they were so short on food, he'd be wasting away like Eli should.

The fact that EVERYONE is almost the same shows they have no shortage.

Phenom
June 9th, 2010, 06:01 AM

He knows we love him! Besides, he can always give me crap about my big nose :)

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 9th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I should hope so, given Chloe has woman boobs and not man boobs.

And Jesus Zombie Christ, what's with all the kids harping on about Eli's weight? Seriously, it's not that big of a deal.you answered that yourself :)
Really, it's not that big a deal. No one is asking why the military guys aren't getting all scrawny or why the women aren't fainting in the hallways or why the more pragmatic members of the team aren't suggesting they draw lots on which team member should be the next pork chop. Just like any other part of the show, like the stargate itself, to the destiny to aliens, I choose to believe that the slop they are being fed has enough calories to keep them going. Of course, even if you managed to take a pill that gave you everything you needed for a day's nutrition, you would still be hungry, and you'd still crave things, because we are made to eat, and not eat slop. So when we hear them walk around, talking about being hungry, I don't take it so much as 'we're starving' but 'I'd kill for a deep dish pizza'

I hope David Blue doesn't read this thread...If he does, I apologize and offer the thought that we're not all like this, fortunately.

Coronach
June 9th, 2010, 06:45 AM
i'm sure it's been mentioned in other threads

This should have been a massive clue and the thread should have ended here (before it began). :S

Brb...I'm off to start a new thread about my (totally original) thoughts on Chloe! Lawlz!

Egle01
June 9th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Your metabolism slows down alright, but doesn't stop.

That being; Eli would still lose weight. Just not as much if he was on a controlled healthy diet.

Now, on the other hand, in a recent episode, didn't Young say that "rationing would begin again" or something? Which would indicate that because of all their planetary trips, they had, up until that point, enough food so they didn't have to ration?

So they wouldn't have a huge selection (why is why everyone is so dreary over it) but still enough to keep them well fed.

Besides, the military guys, with all their muscle, doesn't seem to be decreasing in muscle mass. Scott looks the same now as he did when he arrived. Muscle needs protein. If they were so short on food, he'd be wasting away like Eli should.

The fact that EVERYONE is almost the same shows they have no shortage.You do know that actors who play those characters are not really trapped on a space ship, right?

Zkyire
June 9th, 2010, 07:50 AM
You do know that actors who play those characters are not really trapped on a space ship, right?

No really? My mind is blown at this revelation.

They're going for a level of realism. That being:

- Reusing the same clothes because they brought limited clothes with them.

- Letting hair grow longer, not everyone staying perfectly shaved. Again, limited hygiene supplies brought with them.

So given that the actors are having to let their hair grow, reuse the same clothes while in character, it stands to reason that the next logical step would be more changes to their bodies. Muscle levels, fat levels etc.

But as I have already pointed out, the ship is seemingly in no shortage of food, so the actors wont have to make any of said changes.

But sure, making a smartass comment and overlooking everything I have said is the way to go.

Egle01
June 9th, 2010, 08:05 AM
No really?

I didn't know that.

I'm stunned.

My mind is blown at this revelation.

They're going for a level of realism. That being:

- Reusing the same clothes because they brought limited clothes with them.

- Letting hair grow longer, not everyone staying perfectly shaved. Again, limited hygiene supplies brought with them.

So given that the actors are having to let their hair grow, reuse the same clothes while in character, it stands to reason that the next logical step would be more changes to their bodies. Muscle levels, fat levels etc.

But as I have already pointed out, the ship is seemingly in no shortage of food, so the actors wont have to make any of said changes.

But sure, making a smartass comment and overlooking everything I have said is the way to go.One thing is letting hair grow. I think it's a nice touch the male cast has decided to do. But no one told them to do that. It was their choice. Another thing is to change their lifestyle and figure, quite drastically so that the viewers would notice. That's a stupid thing to expect them to do. According to David Blue, Eli has already lost some weight. It's great that he's decided to do so. But don't expect physically active person to stop working out, just to give fans one thing less to nitpick.

Zkyire
June 9th, 2010, 08:07 AM
One thing is letting hair grow. I think it's a nice touch the male cast has decided to do. But no one told them to do that. It was their choice. Another thing is to change their lifestyle and figure, quite drastically so that the viewers would notice. That's a stupid thing to expect them to do. According to David Blue, Eli has already lost some weight. It's great that he's decided to do so. But don't expect physically active person to stop working out, just to give fans one thing less to nitpick.

I'm *not* expecting them to do that. In the confines of the story, there is no shortage of food, so since the characters wouldn't be changing their bodies then there would be no need to even suggest the actors do the same.

I've said that like twice already.

Egle01
June 9th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I'm *not* expecting them to do that. In the confines of the story, there is no shortage of food, so since the characters wouldn't be changing their bodies then there would be no need to even suggest the actors do the same.If there was no shortage of food, then one crew member in "Pain" wouldn't have said she feels hungry and tired, like she always does.

daedalus91
June 9th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Hey!
Maybe that fruit has a high fat content...

Stormtrooper
June 9th, 2010, 08:45 AM
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/6895/bestestmoobies.png

Khaaaaaaaaaan!

daedalus91
June 9th, 2010, 08:48 AM
This either looks like something is happening below.........
Or
Something is happening below.
Plus he has massive Moobs.

dgh64
June 9th, 2010, 09:54 AM
In one episode (can't remember which) Eli was doing something on the computer and Scott, leading a bunch of others in a jog around the ship, said "C'mon, Eli, let's go!" and Eli promised he'd join them tomorrow or something. I think it was indicated that Young was putting EVERYONE on an exercise program. In a couple other episodes we've seen large groups jogging and doing pushups and stuff. And remember, they've been there for several months now -- it's not like SG1 where each episode is approximately a week after the previous one. We skipped over a month in Faith, skipped over who-knows-how-long when going between galaxies... so not just Eli, but everyone (except the military people who were pretty fit already) should be visibly losing fat and gaining muscle.

That said, remember it's a TV show not a blockbuster movie like Cast Away, in which the actor actually did make significant changes to his body for the before/after shots.

Replicator Todd
June 9th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I'm really not bothered by Eli's weight, and kinda appalled so many people seem to be making fun of his size.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 9th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I'm really not bothered by Eli's weight, and kinda appalled so many people seem to be making fun of his size.

Green! and thank you :) I'm kind of wondering how many more of these threads have to appear before it's seen as being kinda rude and disrespectful to David Blue, the person?

dgh64
June 9th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I already see a few posts as being disrespectful. Not the whole thread, mind you -- it's a valid point that some of the characters don't look like they've been in the situation they're in for the last six months.

SG7
June 9th, 2010, 11:10 AM
If there was no shortage of food, then one crew member in "Pain" wouldn't have said she feels hungry and tired, like she always does.

Yeh and I think TJ mentioned in "faith" was it, being enemic due to lack of decent nutrition. Now that doesn't necessarily mean no food. Just good nutritious food.

Agreed that most on board Destiny would probably look a little worse for wear in the eating department if there is a lack of food, however I would never expect an actor or actress to go on any special diet just to "make it look right" on screen. If they choose to do that for me as a viewer than I give them kudos. As that would be going beyond what I would expect.

Taiko
June 9th, 2010, 11:13 AM
One thing is letting hair grow. I think it's a nice touch the male cast has decided to do. But no one told them to do that. It was their choice. Another thing is to change their lifestyle and figure, quite drastically so that the viewers would notice. That's a stupid thing to expect them to do. According to David Blue, Eli has already lost some weight. It's great that he's decided to do so. But don't expect physically active person to stop working out, just to give fans one thing less to nitpick.
I guess its silly that people are picking on David Blue for not dropping weight while they are silent about Brian Smith maintaining his six pack abdominal muscles.

On the other hand we see serious actors like De Niro and lately Curtis (50 Cent) Jackson go through major body changes for their craft. So we question his, Blue's but not Smith's commitment to "art".

major davis
June 9th, 2010, 11:17 AM
You do know that actors who play those characters are not really trapped on a space ship, right?

Wait.. WTF.. Are you sure?

Egle01
June 9th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I already see a few posts as being disrespectful. Not the whole thread, mind you -- it's a valid point that some of the characters don't look like they've been in the situation they're in for the last six months.Six months? Where did you get that number from?

Valid or not, this subject doesn't need several threads nor to be disrespectful towards actors.

major davis
June 9th, 2010, 11:24 AM

Ya, like JM said, you can argue that your making fun of the character, but your really making fun of the actor too. :(

Giantevilhead
June 9th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I think it's too much to expect television actors to make big changes to their body. Their job security isn't exactly guaranteed and they're not getting paid Christian Bale level salaries where it's really worth dropping or gaining 30 pounds.

Control_Chair
June 9th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Green! and thank you :) I'm kind of wondering how many more of these threads have to appear before it's seen as being kinda rude and disrespectful to David Blue, the person?

Ya, like JM said, you can argue that your making fun of the character, but your really making fun of the actor too. :(

Exactly, picking holes in the plot when necessary is fine but I think it is wrong to be so rude about the actors, who are doing a fantastic job. :)

Coronach
June 9th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I guess its silly that people are picking on David Blue for not dropping weight while they are silent about Brian Smith maintaining his six pack abdominal muscles.

On the other hand we see serious actors like De Niro and lately Curtis (50 Cent) Jackson go through major body changes for their craft. So we question his, Blue's but not Smith's commitment to "art".

It really highlights people's misconceptions about human metabolism characteristics and how exercise (particularly gaining muscle mass) actually works. You are correct in that all of the people complaining about Eli not losing weight should probably be complaining about the great shape Scott and Greer are still in. :S

dgh64
June 9th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Six months? Where did you get that number from?

I pulled it out of my, um, thin air. Just a guess. Seemed about right, what with the time the skipped over in Faith and between galaxies and so forth.

Zkyire
June 9th, 2010, 01:04 PM

Talking about it is not the same as making fun of it. Of which I see nobody doing.

MattSilver 3k
June 9th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Talking about it is not the same as making fun of it. Of which I see nobody doing.

his man boobs are bigger than Chloes

^First Post on the thread.

How about a recent thread that was shut because it made comparisons of Eli's chest size with James's? Is that proof enough yet kid?

Zkyire
June 9th, 2010, 01:27 PM
^First Post on the thread.

How about a recent thread that was shut because it made comparisons of Eli's chest size with James's? Is that proof enough yet kid?

I didn't see that post. I concede, you are right.

Additionally, you have an attitude problem if you can't make a post without trying to throw an insult in there. Kid?

jelgate
June 9th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Production is significant shorter then the time frame of a season. So you won't see drasatic changes in appearences of actors

droid327
June 9th, 2010, 04:57 PM
OK, first off lemme say that I'm on the larger side myself, so this isn't skinny elitisim or making fun of anyone in any way...

1) Eli does look bigger in this episode, even if he isnt actually. I thought it might have just been, though, that we're seeing him without his hoodie, which may have hid some of that man-rack before.

2) If he is bigger, then its not anything against David Blue as a human being to say that he's getting bigger. He's obviously on the up side of a 'healthy weight', so even if you were to say he could stand to shed 10 or 20, thats not an insult, and he's obviously aware of the fact anyway. He's not as bad as, say, Jonah Hill regardless :)

3) From a show-lore perspective, Eli the character should be losing weight. Not only have his calories gone down (no more Hot Pockets and Mountain Dew), but his level of activity has presumably gone way up - from a sedentary "unemployed living at home playing MMOs" lifestyle to a "running around a starship doing stuff, facing emergencies, trekking across alien worlds and possibly exercising semi-regularly" lifestyle. They've been out there long enough for metabolisms to adjust, too. You cut calories and increase activity, you lose weight, thats unassailable.

Nitegate
June 9th, 2010, 07:36 PM
i find it funny that people think if they have certain opinions that they're kids, well i'm not a kid dumb ****, but think what you want, way too many serious people on these boards, the responses on here in calling people kid is like some young guy calling another person older than him boy. :jack_new_anime25: and there are ways to keep the 6 pack without being in a gym, i was making a joke in this episode just like the pic on page 2 someone posted that his boobs were the biggest on destiny :mckay:

pipi
June 9th, 2010, 08:02 PM

Watch survivor on CBS. There's 20 seasons that says otherwise, with one exception of a skinny girl that actually gained weight lol...

pipi
June 9th, 2010, 08:10 PM
In one episode (can't remember which) Eli was doing something on the computer and Scott, leading a bunch of others in a jog around the ship, said "C'mon, Eli, let's go!" and Eli promised he'd join them tomorrow or something. I think it was indicated that Young was putting EVERYONE on an exercise program. In a couple other episodes we've seen large groups jogging and doing pushups and stuff. And remember, they've been there for several months now -- it's not like SG1 where each episode is approximately a week after the previous one. We skipped over a month in Faith, skipped over who-knows-how-long when going between galaxies... so not just Eli, but everyone (except the military people who were pretty fit already) should be visibly losing fat and gaining muscle.

That said, remember it's a TV show not a blockbuster movie like Cast Away, in which the actor actually did make significant changes to his body for the before/after shots.

I'm actually disappointed they have not addressed the food issue especially when the FTL drive was down and they were doing the whole jogging thing. That would imply that they are not on rations*, even though I believe Young ordered a rationing for the long journey. You don't go exercising if the crew is on rations.

GateroomGuard
June 9th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I assumed that whatever slop they were eating was loaded with calories. You only get a little and it doesn't fill you up but it gives you enough calories to be just fine. That said they probably don't get all the vitamins and minerals they need.

Phenom
June 9th, 2010, 09:27 PM
i find it funny that people think if they have certain opinions that they're kids, well i'm not a kid dumb ****, but think what you want, way too many serious people on these boards, the responses on here in calling people kid is like some young guy calling another person older than him boy. :jack_new_anime25: and there are ways to keep the 6 pack without being in a gym, i was making a joke in this episode just like the pic on page 2 someone posted that his boobs were the biggest on destiny :mckay:

If you were trying to prove you are not a kid, you kind of failed sorry. Writing style is a major giveaway to a person's age on these forums and you just can't hide that.

dgh64
June 9th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I really wish everyone could stop insulting each other, and stop insulting actors while we're at it, and talk about something more interesting.

Inquisitor
June 9th, 2010, 09:44 PM
They're all losing weight at the same rate, so it looks like they've lost no weight (relatively).

Avenger
June 9th, 2010, 09:56 PM
You can't expect an actor to lose weight at the same rate a character would in a particular situation. It just not going to happen.

dgh64
June 9th, 2010, 09:59 PM
They might be able to do something with different camera lenses to make someone appear fatter/thinner than they actually are.

Phenom
June 9th, 2010, 10:12 PM
They might be able to do something with different camera lenses to make someone appear fatter/thinner than they actually are.

Does it bother you that much? I couldn't care less if he gained 30 kilos. He is a great character, played very well by DB and thats all that matters to me.

GateroomGuard
June 9th, 2010, 10:14 PM
In the words of the wise master Yoda "Judge me by my size do you?"

Let Eli be however Eli wants to appear.

Skydiver
June 10th, 2010, 04:09 AM
You know, I'm sick of all this bagging on a person because you personally think they're fat. It's rude and mean spirited, and how about you (the general you) devote your energies somewhere else huh?
Would you like it if people were dogging you behind your back?