PDA

View Full Version : Would 10 Minutes have Put Carter on Destiny?

Ripple in Space
June 8th, 2010, 04:03 PM
For argument's sake, say that Carter got to the second Icarus planet 30-minutes earlier, and managed to round up the Lucian Alliance on the planet.

Say also, that SG-1 was aboard (Daniel, Teal'c, Cam and Vala) along with Shep's team (Shep himself, McKay, Ronon, Teyla, and Beckett) who were going somewhere on the USS Hammond's next stop.

If Carter determined that there was a 10-minute window before the planet exploded, where they could dial out to Destiny, would Jack risk sending SG-1, Shep's Team, Carter, himself, or any combination of crew to the Destiny to assist them and/or assume command?

What do you think?

jelgate
June 8th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I think it sounds like a bad fanfic idea

Ripple in Space
June 8th, 2010, 04:09 PM

It's not a proposal, the OP is asking if Gen. O'Neill would opt to strand his flagship personnel on the Destiny in order to assist or assume command.

jelgate
June 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM
All those assets would never be risked given their importance to Earth

KEK
June 8th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I don't think Jack would send anyone unless he could get them back. Remember how reluctant he was to let Daniel go to Atlantis?

magictrick
June 8th, 2010, 04:13 PM
If Carter determined that there was a 10-minute window before the planet exploded, where they could dial out to Destiny, would Jack send SG-1, Shep's Team, Carter, himself, or any combination of crew to the Destiny to assist them and/or assume command?

What do you think?

There's no way he would send the 2 flagship teams on a one-way trip. Maybe one person who would volunteer, but even then I doubt it. Remember, there's no way back once you reach the other side. Wouldn't make sense to sacrifice some of Earth's most valued SG team members.

s09119
June 8th, 2010, 04:13 PM

No truer words have ever been spoken.

OT: No. If someone wanted them on the mission, they'd have already been assigned to it.

Ripple in Space
June 8th, 2010, 04:17 PM
There's no way he would send the 2 flagship teams on a one-way trip. Maybe one person who would volunteer, but even then I doubt it. Remember, there's no way back once you reach the other side. Wouldn't make sense to sacrifice some of Earth's most valued SG team members.

That's a good point, but remember Jack did send Dr. Weir, Col. Sumner, Dr. Beckett, Dr. McKay, and many others on a presumably one-way trip.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 8th, 2010, 04:22 PM
For argument's sake, say that Carter got to the second Icarus planet 30-minutes earlier, and managed to round up the Lucian Alliance on the planet.

Say also, that SG-1 was aboard (Daniel, Teal'c, Cam and Vala) along with Shep's team (Shep himself, McKay, Ronon, Teyla, and Beckett) who were going somewhere on the USS Hammond's next stop.

If Carter determined that there was a 10-minute window before the planet exploded, where they could dial out to Destiny, would Jack send SG-1, Shep's Team, Carter, himself, or any combination of crew to the Destiny to assist them and/or assume command?

What do you think?There's no way that would happen, where you take what has become your best set of people and you strand them somewhere, especially as how much help they could be is subjective, given the constraints of the SGU (not SG1 or SGA) universe.

I think it sounds like a bad fanfic idea^^yes, this

That's a good point, but remember Jack did send Dr. Weir, Col. Sumner, Dr. Beckett, Dr. McKay, and many others on a presumably one-way trip.that's a construct as a way to start a new show, with new people, just as sending Young, Rush, Eli and others were.

Skydiver
June 8th, 2010, 05:15 PM
then again, with as much of an issue Jack is having with Young's leadership, who's to say that he wouldn't take the opportunity to put a proven and trusted individual in command of the Destiny?

Pharaoh Atem
June 8th, 2010, 05:17 PM

What do you think?

and what difference will any of them make? no one has control of destiny nothing will change.

Skydiver
June 8th, 2010, 05:17 PM
On a mod note, hey, if you think it's an oddball sounding idea....whatever. One person's odd ball idea is another's brilliant epiphany. If you think it's a dumb topic, move on and find another.

Pharaoh Atem
June 8th, 2010, 05:19 PM
then again, with as much of an issue Jack is having with Young's leadership, who's to say that he wouldn't take the opportunity to put a proven and trusted individual in command of the Destiny?

but all young has to do is discontinue using the stones and he won't be faced with dealing with jack. or

spoilers for incursion pt 1 and maybe season 2

now that telfords aboard the destiny he could take command. like he's supposed to anyway as he was supposed to lead the team anyway

jelgate
June 8th, 2010, 05:28 PM
but all young has to do is discontinue using the stones and he won't be faced with dealing with jack. or

spoilers for incursion pt 1 and maybe season 2

now that telfords aboard the destiny he could take command. like he's supposed to anyway as he was supposed to lead the team anyway
But Young was Jack's first choice. I think its an issue that will have to be resolved

majorsal
June 8th, 2010, 05:30 PM

What do you think?

IF jack were to do that, i'd send mitchell. (mitchell would prob volunteer first)

Avenger
June 8th, 2010, 06:11 PM
But Young was Jack's first choice. I think its an issue that will have to be resolved

But given the opportunity to replace him with someone he sends through a gate, that might change. Young was O'Neill's first choice because Young in in the Air Force. I doubt Jack wanted a civilian in charge.

If given the opportunity to dial Destiny again, I doubt too many people would be sent through the gate. Maybe a handful of people at most. More supplies would be sent, in my opinion.

jelgate
June 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM
But given the opportunity to replace him with someone he sends through a gate, that might change. Young was O'Neill's first choice because Young in in the Air Force. I doubt Jack wanted a civilian in charge.

If given the opportunity to dial Destiny again, I doubt too many people would be sent through the gate. Maybe a handful of people at most. More supplies would be sent, in my opinion.
We were talking about Telford and Young. Both are in the Air Force

hedwig
June 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM
That's a good point, but remember Jack did send Dr. Weir, Col. Sumner, Dr. Beckett, Dr. McKay, and many others on a presumably one-way trip.

All of those people volunteered to go. Jack simply gave the okay.

What do you think?

Without knowing what the conditions were on the other side, with the LA people having already gone through, Sam would not have made a choice like that. And she wouldn't have left her command on The Hammond to be a part of that group. And I'm 100% positive Jack wouldn't have given a command like that.

Pharaoh Atem
June 8th, 2010, 06:32 PM

indeed

Ripple in Space
June 8th, 2010, 07:42 PM
If possible, would Jack risk sending SG-1, Shep's Team, Carter, himself, or any combination of crew to the Destiny to assist?I think it sounds like a bad fanfic idea...hey, if you think it's an oddball sounding idea....whatever. One person's odd ball idea is another's brilliant epiphany. If you think it's a dumb topic, move on and find another.
Thanks Sky :)

All of those people volunteered to go. Jack simply gave the okay. But as majorsal said, Mitchell at least, and I'd guess Daniel as well, would be jumping at the chance to go to Destiny and help them get the ship home.

Skydiver
June 8th, 2010, 07:44 PM

Without knowing what the conditions were on the other side, with the LA people having already gone through, Sam would not have made a choice like that. And she wouldn't have left her command on The Hammond to be a part of that group. And I'm 100% positive Jack wouldn't have given a command like that.

and, had she gone, she would have - effectively - abandoned her ship. Now, if Jack thought sending a replacement was a possibilty, he woulda sent along another command grade officer to be the 'go to destiny' person if hte opportunity arose. Of course, that person also had to be carrying orders to relieve Young of command.

IMHO, the only way that woulda happened was if Louis Ferrer (however you spell it) decided to bail on the show and they needed to change casting :)

hedwig
June 8th, 2010, 07:50 PM
and, had she gone, she would have - effectively - abandoned her ship. Now, if Jack thought sending a replacement was a possibilty, he woulda sent along another command grade officer to be the 'go to destiny' person if hte opportunity arose. Of course, that person also had to be carrying orders to relieve Young of command.

IMHO, the only way that woulda happened was if Louis Ferrer (however you spell it) decided to bail on the show and they needed to change casting :)

Yep. I was thinking about the "abandoning" her command bit, but didn't think of till awhile after I posted the comment. :)

And :indeed: to the rest of it. :)

Ripple in Space
June 8th, 2010, 07:54 PM

lol, I wonder if chain-of-command will be called into question if Telford ends up surviving...

Skydiver
June 8th, 2010, 08:02 PM
maybe it'll be a co-command ;)

worked out so well last time

My money is on telford dying in some sort of sacrificing/redeeming way to make up for being controlled by the lucian alliance.

Replicator Todd
June 8th, 2010, 10:29 PM
IMO there is no way Jack would let Daniel or Carter get onto Destiny. I'm not sure about Sheppard's team. Maybe Jack would give Mckay the boot to Destiny?

The Swarm
June 8th, 2010, 10:49 PM
its not actualy a one way trip if they could get they're hands on an Icarus planet, you just have to dial it from the other side.

Kanten
June 9th, 2010, 12:22 AM
its not actualy a one way trip if they could get they're hands on an Icarus planet, you just have to dial it from the other side.

Right now they can't even get the rust bucket to fly in the right direction of one even if they did find it. There's no point in stranding more people on the other side of the universe, especially when you can use the communication stones to put anybody you need on the ship.

That gate would have been used strictly for supply deliveries.

shipper hannah
June 9th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Carter's commanding the Hammond. There's no way she's just going to up and leave for a one way trip to to Destiny, or who-knows-where.

Phenom
June 9th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Firstly, the scenario wouldn't happen due to the reasons that Jel mentioned in the first few posts.

Secondly, why would you want it to happen? It would ruin the show quicker than a wet fart ruins the mood in the bedroom.

Skydiver
June 9th, 2010, 04:16 AM
I honestly can't see Jack even ordering Carter 'turn command of the hammond over to your XO and get your butt to the Destiny'.

I could - theoretically - see him trying to get a team and supplies to them as support. but there's also the IOA to consider. They won't want military folks there, they want civilian control of the ship, but there's no way Jack would endanger civilians on a potential one way trip, so it'd be an impasse...bureaucratic delay to the point of non-action.

Now, if someone on Earth has a credible and 'this can work' way to get the Destiny under control, maybe.

That said, there's only so many times they can 'find an incarus type planet' before they completely ruin that 'this was the only planet and only possibility to use the 9th chevron' plot complication and completely invalidate Rush's actions that started this whole mess in the first place.

Steelbox
June 9th, 2010, 05:51 AM
After seeing was has happened. The SGC should have let the Lucian Alliance complete their project. With their rushed attack they caused the planet to blow up by forcing LA hand to dial the gate prematurely.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 9th, 2010, 07:07 AM
But Young was Jack's first choice. I think its an issue that will have to be resolved^^this
Jack chose Young. There has to be a reason for that. He thought he was the best, thought he could do it, or liked something about Young himself in order to choose him over others.

IMHO, the only way that woulda happened was if Louis Ferrer (however you spell it) decided to bail on the show and they needed to change casting :)I think that Jack's ultimatum was more a way to get Young to pull it together and have Young step up.

maybe it'll be a co-command ;)

worked out so well last time

My money is on telford dying in some sort of sacrificing/redeeming way to make up for being controlled by the lucian alliance.I had that thought about Telford as well and I really hope they don't make it into a co thing :s

beafly
June 9th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I think sending additional personnel wouldn't be at the top of his list.

Supplies, resources, yes. They could certainly get a whole bunch of that through provided they turned off the LA's transporter jamming tech.

dgh64
June 9th, 2010, 10:39 AM
The whole premise of the OP doesn't make sense... Kiva dialed the gate BECAUSE Hammond showed up. If They'd showed up 30 minutes sooner, then Kiva would have dialed the gate 30 minutes sooner and the planet would have exploded 30 minutes sooner. If, on the other hand, Carter had kept her distance and given Rush a couple days to do his math right... then we might have been able to capture the planet and use it as a supply line.

That said, I think if they did get their hands on the planet O'neill would've said "Beam all the supplies you have to the gate and send them to Destiny, but don't let any people go through."

hedwig
June 9th, 2010, 11:18 AM
The whole premise of the OP doesn't make sense... Kiva dialed the gate BECAUSE Hammond showed up. If They'd showed up 30 minutes sooner, then Kiva would have dialed the gate 30 minutes sooner and the planet would have exploded 30 minutes sooner. If, on the other hand, Carter had kept her distance and given Rush a couple days to do his math right... then we might have been able to capture the planet and use it as a supply line.

That said, I think if they did get their hands on the planet O'neill would've said "Beam all the supplies you have to the gate and send them to Destiny, but don't let any people go through."

I agree with the bolded part.:)

Though, the bit about Carter/Rush means Carter would have had to know Rush was still alive and was actually working on something, and at that point I'm not sure anyone knew he was still alive. It had been awhile since Young used the stones to report to O'Neill what was going on, and while I'd have to go back and look at the episode again, the next time Young talked to O'Neill it was too late to do anything since the LA was already onboard the Destiny. (*but I could be misremembering*:o)

dgh64
June 9th, 2010, 12:44 PM
They knew Rush was alive because Telford was alive -- if Telford suddenly drops dead for no apparent reason, Young would immediately go back to Earth and say "They must've killed Rush."

No, Carter didn't know what Rush was doing, but she could assume, from the fact that he's still alive, that the LA is using him for something. And since he's a brilliant scientist, she could also conclude that they're probably not making him clean the bathrooms.

Skydiver
June 10th, 2010, 04:16 AM
But, for all she knew, he coulda just been locked in a cell counting the ceiling tiles.

dgh64
June 10th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Again... brilliant scientist. LA will do anything to get their hands on Destiny, and he's the guy who (with some help from Math Boy) figured out how to do it last time. The LA would do everything in their power to "persuade" him (i.e. torture sticks) to help.

Demerzel
June 11th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I don't think Jack or the IOA would strand any more personnel on Destiny, Carter least of all. While I do hope that there won't be some kind of co-command with Telford and Young, I also hope they don't kill off Telford. LDP is just WAY too good an actor and I hope he stays on SGU. If he dies, then they have to replace him with Emilio Estevez. Seriously, find Emilio a role. And a pistol. And a cowboy hat. The universe isn't ready to face a space version of Billy the Kid wanting to avenge his native friend.

Well, I think I went a bit off topic. >.>

Gatefan1976
June 22nd, 2010, 08:27 PM

If Carter determined that there was a 10-minute window before the planet exploded, where they could dial out to Destiny, would Jack risk sending SG-1, Shep's Team, Carter, himself, or any combination of crew to the Destiny to assist them and/or assume command?

What do you think?

I seriously doubt he would.

Jack has shown an inordinate amount of protectiveness towards people he considers his friends (probably due to his son's death) and to allow any of these guys to go on a one way trip to "the rustbucket" would be pretty contrary to his established character. As to weather it would be a good idea for the story or the actual show, well, I'm just going to leave that aspect alone.