PDA

View Full Version : International Partnership Secures New Series of Torchwood

Ashizuri
June 7th, 2010, 10:22 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/torchwood_new_series/

BBC Cymru Wales, BBC Worldwide and US premium entertainment network, Starz Entertainment, have today announced a three way co-production partnership that will develop a new series of the hit BBC sci-fi drama Torchwood. BBC Worldwide will also distribute the series to broadcasters globally.

The 10-episode instalment will be written by a team led by Torchwood creator, Russell T Davies, and produced by BBC Worldwide Productions. Davies and BBC Worldwide Productions’ SVP Scripted, Julie Gardner, return as executive producers with BBC Worldwide Productions EVP Jane Tranter. The series has been commissioned by Controller BBC ONE, Jay Hunt, Controller BBC Drama, Ben Stephenson, and Starz President and CEO, Chris Albrecht.

While previous series were based on location in Cardiff, Wales, this new instalment will see storylines widen to include locations in the U.S. and around the world. John Barrowman and Eve Myles will return in their roles as Captain Jack and Gwen respectively, along with new faces.

MattSilver 3k
June 7th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Big woots from me! I'm down for ten episodes more of Jack playing with/killing aliens.

Sealurk
June 7th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Fantastic! So rather than an exclusively US series or another BBC series, we get a combo - best of both worlds!

Skydiver
June 7th, 2010, 06:36 PM
wheeeee

a win all around. i get more torchwood and it won't be frakked up by US networks :D

pbellosom
June 7th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Yes! If you'd told me back when season one aired how much I'd miss Torchwood when it was off the air, I never would've believed it. Admittedly I'd be happier if it was just the BBC doing it, and am slightly confused that it has less episodes than a full series on the Beeb, but I'm still thrilled that they're back. I'd just about given up hope.

Replicator Todd
June 7th, 2010, 07:54 PM
OH...yes.

Puddle-Jumper
June 8th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Anyword on when its going to air?

Madwelshboy
June 8th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Anyword on when its going to air?

Summer 2011

Roach
June 8th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Very cool!! Although I'd rather it be a season 2.5 and erase S3.... I just really liked the old team. We'll see.. I'll watch either way but I hope whomever they add to the team gel well.

Puddle-Jumper
June 8th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I wonder if this is just a trial run for a Torchwood America? ya know set a few episodes in the states, international funding, see how the whole thing goes down.. and then a spin off would air simultaneously with Torchwood season 5...

Flyboy
June 10th, 2010, 03:01 AM
I'm still not happy.

I liked the fact that Cardiff was sort of like Sunnydale. It was all kinds of crazy cool.

MattSilver 3k
June 10th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I'm still not happy.

I liked the fact that Cardiff was sort of like Sunnydale. It was all kinds of crazy cool.

It's okay. I'm happy.

Replicator Todd
June 10th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I'm still not happy.

Yeah, I would rather still have it set in Cardiff...but I'm happy to be getting more TW with Jack and Gwen still around.

leeman15251
June 10th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Glad the team will be together. I don't know why there will only be 10 episodes, but i hope it is still good even with some of the episodes being go the us.

pbellosom
June 12th, 2010, 03:47 PM
The thing that worries me is that one of the Press Releases stated that it would be set in the same timeline as the previous Torchwood AND that this meant people were aware of the existence of aliens. Given what's happening in DW with the Crack, isn't this going to cause a massive continuity problem.

Spimman
June 14th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I'm still not happy.

Yeah I'll miss Cardiff too, maybe they can be stationed there but just travel off site a good bit of the time.

The thing that worries me is that one of the Press Releases stated that it would be set in the same timeline as the previous Torchwood AND that this meant people were aware of the existence of aliens. Given what's happening in DW with the Crack, isn't this going to cause a massive continuity problem.

Yeah, if people don't at least know by now that aliens exist they are mental.

I'll say after watching S3 it isn't that surprising that Jack/Torchwood would go above the oversight of the British government...seeing as Jack was completely betrayed and the price he personally paid!

nx01a
June 16th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Praises be!
I wonder if Midshipman Alonso Frame will come along with Jack for the ride?
I hope PC Andy is a full member of TW this time!

Madwelshboy
June 17th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Question: Any scoop on the new season of Torchwood? —Craig
Ausiello: Starz wasn’t kidding when it said the new season would be more global in scope. I’m hearing the show will shoot a chunk of the season on location in Los Angeles. Captain Jack’s going Hollywood!

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/06/16/ask-ausiello-supernatural-parenthood/

xgirl30
June 24th, 2010, 10:01 PM
This sounds promising.
I'm really glad it's going to be on cable and not network TV. (I shudder to think how the show would have been changed if the FOX project hadn't been scrapped or if another network had picked it up. There are so many things American networks won't show.)

It will be interesting to see what the new team is like and what Jack and Gwen's roles will be. (And how they may have changed from the previous seasons.)

leeman15251
May 5th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Can't wait for the season to start. I wish it would have a full 13 episodes and not just 10, but at least it will be back.