PDA

View Full Version : Why no countdown?

bobsuncorp
June 7th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Fair enough that Destiny dropped out of FTL because of an incoming wormhole but why did it not jump back or at least display a countdown?

I think it is because of either the incursion, that Destiny (with a little help from the neural interface upgrade formally known as Franklin) decided to give the crew a chance to repel boarders, or because of whatever is in space that killed the LA member. After all, it seemed to me at first that he was exposed to some super powerful solar radiation that got through the shield when it flickered.

Are we to believe that he died while standing under the exposed section of hull and flickering shield by coincedence? Either it was the shield somehow extending its field within the ship and all in its path or it was letting something in it would normally keep out.

What do you think?

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 7th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I'm thinking Destiny/Franklin as well

Krazeh
June 7th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I think we'll find out in the next episode or two...

But seriously I think it's a little early to be making anything other than pure guesses at this point, it was clearly a set up for something to be dealt with in the next episode. Having said that I think that we may very well see a return from Franklin in some guise or that they've unfortunately stopped near to something putting out huge amounts of radiation.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 7th, 2010, 08:36 AM
it's definitely a guess on my part, LOL!

Lahela
June 7th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Guesses are fun! :D

I'm pretty sure (in a wild guess sort of way) the lack of countdown is related to the turning-the-LA-guy-to-dust thing, but I'm wondering if maybe Eli triggered something... although I have no idea what that would be. :o

Egle01
June 7th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I'm still thinking Destiny couldn't handle another 9-chevron address and simply lost it.

escyos
June 7th, 2010, 08:58 AM
maybe the neutron star has the same effect as the gravity well as that planet in Faith and Destiny has to spin around it to re-enter FTL.

KEK
June 7th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I think it's Franklin.

beafly
June 7th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Another vote for Franklin.

jelgate
June 7th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Its probably a relation to the thing that turned the Lucian Alliance into ash and no I don't think its Franklin

MattSilver 3k
June 7th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Clock in the Control Interface Room is out of batteries.

KEK
June 7th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Its probably a relation to the thing that turned the Lucian Alliance into ash and no I don't think its Franklin

Bet you a green that it is.

jelgate
June 7th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Bet you a green that it is.

I see your green and raise you 2 more

MattSilver 3k
June 7th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I'm with Jelgate here. Something related to the crispy guy, and it ain't Franklin.

Nikec3
June 7th, 2010, 02:34 PM
What if it is some strange star? And some strange radiation, LA guy was hurt in the corridor with damaged hull, it could be something with radiation.

Phenomenological
June 7th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Clock in the Control Interface Room is out of batteries.

I like your theory most.

It's most likely whatever is outside putting out the colossal amount of radiation needed to reduce a man to dust that fast is screwing with the ships systems. However I don't think the shield weakening was a random malfunction, the timing was too convenient and it was evidently very targeted, nobody/nothing around was at all affected.

Major_Griff
June 7th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I actually hope it's not Franklin, that's a little to obvious, imo.

Quadhelix
June 7th, 2010, 05:11 PM
When I first saw the LA guy get incinerated, my first two thoughts were:

A. Looks like the Destiny has a pretty powerful self-defense system.

B. Well, I guess we know what happened to Franklin.

Of course, spoilers for the next episode have cast some doubt on this interpretation...

I like your theory most.

It's most likely whatever is outside putting out the colossal amount of radiation needed to reduce a man to dust that fast is screwing with the ships systems. However I don't think the shield weakening was a random malfunction, the timing was too convenient and it was evidently very targeted, nobody/nothing around was at all affected. Maybe the door-opener interfered with the shield's power.

ns2
June 7th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Maybe something shot the circuits or being stuck between galaxies messes up Destiny's system

Ian-S
June 7th, 2010, 06:52 PM
the radiation caused a BSOD but the system is so ancient it takes a week to reboot...

escyos
June 8th, 2010, 12:55 AM
and i bet 1000000 green that
franklin is dead...forever....so is BAG

MattSilver 3k
June 8th, 2010, 01:13 AM
and i bet 1000000 green that
franklin is dead...forever....so is BAG

Well I for one would be happy with a perma-dead Franklin.

Eternal Density
June 8th, 2010, 01:21 AM
My money is on some sort of local phenomenon causing computer problems and vaporization of people in the wrong place at the wrong time - probably some sort of hard radiation. Not sure where Franklin comes into it, perhaps he's in the computer system trying to fix the problem and not doing well. *shrugs*

garhkal
June 8th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I'm still thinking Destiny couldn't handle another 9-chevron address and simply lost it.

That is my thought as well. Plus the Energy surge that came through the gate from the 2nd planet blowing up.

I actually hope it's not Franklin, that's a little to obvious, imo.

And a little too Deus ex for me.

KEK
June 8th, 2010, 06:21 AM
If you think that's a deus ex machina then you don't know what one is.

Lahela
June 8th, 2010, 09:36 AM
If you think that's a deus ex machina then you don't know what one is.

If for no other reason than it would a deus in machina :p

Nataku27
June 8th, 2010, 10:59 AM
When I first saw the LA guy get incinerated, my first two thoughts were:

A. Looks like the Destiny has a pretty powerful self-defense system.

B. Well, I guess we know what happened to Franklin.

Of course, spoilers for the next episode have cast some doubt on this interpretation...

Maybe the door-opener interfered with the shield's power.

There was no ash on the chair when Franklin "disappeared"

Quadhelix
June 8th, 2010, 12:51 PM
My money is on some sort of local phenomenon causing computer problems and vaporization of people in the wrong place at the wrong time - probably some sort of hard radiation. Not sure where Franklin comes into it, perhaps he's in the computer system trying to fix the problem and not doing well. *shrugs* Where did we get the idea that Franklin was involved at all?

There was no ash on the chair when Franklin "disappeared"
First instincts only rarely correspond to reality.

ArchaeoNerd
June 8th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I think that there was no countdown because the ship wasn't near a planet. Isn't the countdown supposed to show how much time the ship will spend at a target planet before going back into FTL?

ArchaeoNerd

Quadhelix
June 8th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I think that there was no countdown because the ship wasn't near a planet. Isn't the countdown supposed to show how much time the ship will spend at a target planet before going back into FTL?

ArchaeoNerd
Right, it was established that the ship dropped out of FTL to receive the 9-chevron dial, as when Icarus base dialed the Destiny in "Air." The question is why it didn't go back into FTL once the wormhole closed (as it did in "Air").

Dave_5124
June 8th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Im thinking they maybe in the path of a gama ray burst. Likely a very distant one though

YsoL8
June 9th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Could the failure to re-enter FTL and the other power issues be related to weird power problems they had in Lost (the episode before they crossed the void anyway)? That would suggest to me that our crew boarding at the start of the show is beginning to cause a worsening fault in Destiny's power systems.

Solokiller
June 9th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Maybe the FTL drive can't engage when certain types of radiation are nearby.

bobsuncorp
June 9th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Where did we get the idea that Franklin was involved at all?

I mentioned it when I started this thread (although I am obviously not the only one who thought so) basically because when he disappeared I thought it was because he had been absorbed into the ships computer somehow and was waiting for him to do something for them. Also it makes sense because while Destiny has previously taken action to aid/protect the humans on board, now we have 2 sets of humans and Destiny wouldn't know which it should support (if either) whereas Franklin would be on "our" side.

Steelbox
June 9th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Maybe the FTL drive can't engage when certain types of radiation are nearby.

One of the more plausible causes. Green!

daedalus91
June 9th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Maybe the added people, was too much for Destiny's life support to handle with current power, it may be heading to that star to charge. It makes sense.
More people + bigger power consumption = may need a recharge.
I undertstand that it may seem a little silly, but hey its just a theory.

GoodSmeagol
June 9th, 2010, 04:05 PM
They did not have the counter when they were at the planet in faith due to gravitational forces or something.
Are we going to see another 5 weeks before another jump, could get steamy with the LA...

tomstone
June 10th, 2010, 09:57 AM
My money is also on Franklin in some sort. He must have gone somewhere and he was and may still be connected to the Ships systems. So why shouldnt he be able to help? In Sabotage the Gate was also the most obvious choice of return.

tomstone
June 10th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Maybe the added people, was too much for Destiny's life support to handle with current power, it may be heading to that star to charge. It makes sense.
More people + bigger power consumption = may need a recharge.
I undertstand that it may seem a little silly, but hey its just a theory.

The thing is, that whatever could hold the Destiny from jumping into FTL, should be visible on the Computers and I am pretty sure they would have checked it.

garhkal
June 12th, 2010, 04:19 AM
As we have seen, it was a binary pulsar, giving off radiation