PDA

View Full Version : Young: You think you can do better? Okay, fine. Let's try that brilliant idea out.

qingdom
June 6th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Anyone else get the impression that Young is under pressure, out of options, willing to try any alternatives even if it's insane so that in the longrun he wouldn't regret to not have tried it out? or perhaps from his experience, he knows what's going on, waiting for the right moment and snipe multiple targets with one fell swoop?

Taking a look at Wray, she went the negotiation route and Young agreed right off the bat. To me, it's Young taking the initiative to catch Wray and everyone else in the room off guard going 'fine. let's do this your way. you drive.'

Then Rush gave in his two cents, and the same, Young agrees right off the bat with Rush.

To me, I believe Young is establishing groundwork for the future after all this is done and passed, so that Wray and Rush wouldn't be able to pull the 'Had you listened to me, maybe this wouldn't have happened. you're not fit to run this ship.' card.

All this while buying time to wait for the right moment to instate whatever brilliant military tactic that's conjuring in the head of Young right now.

We saw this same tactic and attitude between Young and Scott. Young knew what he was doing, he didn't tell Scott. In the end, Youngs' risk went as planned and all is well.

With Greer, he's the type that follows all orders from a superior officer and goes down with the Captain unless ordered to get the hell out of there.

So with all this, I believe Young knows what the hell he's doing and is actually waiting for the right moment to kickass and say 'Check' to the lucian alliance, then turn to stare at Wray and Rush and finishing with 'Mate' and walks wherever the hell he pleases?

Thoughts? Opinions?

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 6th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Anyone else get the impression that Young is under pressure, out of options, willing to try any alternatives even if it's insane so that in the longrun he wouldn't regret to not have tried it out? or perhaps from his experience, he knows what's going on, waiting for the right moment and snipe multiple targets with one fell swoop?

Taking a look at Wray, she went the negotiation route and Young agreed right off the bat. To me, it's Young taking the initiative to catch Wray and everyone else in the room off guard going 'fine. let's do this your way. you drive.'

Then Rush gave in his two cents, and the same, Young agrees right off the bat with Rush.

To me, I believe Young is establishing groundwork for the future after all this is done and passed, so that Wray and Rush wouldn't be able to pull the 'Had you listened to me, maybe this wouldn't have happened. you're not fit to run this ship.' card.

All this while buying time to wait for the right moment to instate whatever brilliant military tactic that's conjuring in the head of Young right now.

We saw this same tactic and attitude between Young and Scott. Young knew what he was doing, he didn't tell Scott. In the end, Youngs' risk went as planned and all is well.

With Greer, he's the type that follows all orders from a superior officer and goes down with the Captain unless ordered to get the hell out of there.

So with all this, I believe Young knows what the hell he's doing and is actually waiting for the right moment to kickass and say 'Check' to the lucian alliance, then turn to stare at Wray and Rush and finishing with 'Mate' and walks wherever the hell he pleases?

Thoughts? Opinions?

I don't think it's so much a matter of he's heading off future criticisms as he is willing to use other methods, or at least appear to use other methods, to establish the goal, which is the safety of his people and the security of the ship. If having Wray talk will do that, then good. A smart military leader will use whatever they have at their disposal and will be flexible enough to change as events on the ground change.

As for Scott, it was Scott himself that said that they couldn't trust anybody. That would include Scott himself. Also, Young said it was all on him, on himself. If something went wrong and Telford died, I think that Young would want to take that blame alone, and spare Scott. It's plausible deniability. If Scott isn't told, then Scott won't be complicit in what happens because he can rightly state that he's a very green officer. Further, I truly believe that Young doesn't want to dirty Scott's hands. I tend to see that as a flaw, but I'm not Young.

It's interesting that it is Rush that is openly stating what Young knows very well - that they will lose people and that there is such a thing as acceptible losses. The military factors for this every time. It may not be nice to talk about but it exists. Where I think Rush is wrong is that I don't believe that Young considered him an acceptible loss and may have scuttled a very effective plan just to save his life.

I do agree that Young knows what he's doing. You don't get where he's gotten without knowing, and once he's saved his people, I believe it may well be gloves off time. I think that it only looks disjointed because we are so used (no, I'm not making an SG1/SGA reference, this is for a wide range of shows) to having our military leaders go in and clean up without a single flaw and the bad guys never really change much. We're not used to seeing that things go wrong and that leaders have to change tactics quickly, on the ground, with only the knowledge they have at the time, not hindsight.

I don't really see Young as the type to openly rub anyone's nose in it afterward, but he will have it to draw on, if he can pull their asses out of the fire, and I think he can

Avenger
June 6th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Young holds the ultimate trump card in the situation in that he can kill everyone in the gateroom with the push of a button, so I wouldn't say that he's out of options. I think, as you said, he's trying to buy time to save as many people as possible.

Letting Wray negotiate, even if he thinks it's not going to work, might well get a couple of people released. Worst case, nothing bout their situation changes.

He also knows Telford is on the inside and free of the mind control, so that might provide an opportunity to save some lives as well.

KEK
June 6th, 2010, 02:18 PM
He's choosing to act because of the verbal backhand that O'Neill gave him. He's a bad leader who everyone is slowly losing faith in, even Scott and TJ don't seem confident he'll make the right decision, though I doubt Greer's loyalty will ever waver. It'll be interesting to see who's in command next season, as Telford is of the same rank, and the expedition was mean to be his in the first place...

hbk314
June 7th, 2010, 01:26 AM
He's choosing to act because of the verbal backhand that O'Neill gave him. He's a bad leader who everyone is slowly losing faith in, even Scott and TJ don't seem confident he'll make the right decision, though I doubt Greer's loyalty will ever waver. It'll be interesting to see who's in command next season, as Telford is of the same rank, and the expedition was mean to be his in the first place...

Because Young turned the expedition command down.