PDA

View Full Version : Lets Play Stratedgy, How would you of defended destiny?

eliteaceman
June 6th, 2010, 03:01 AM
How about venting enough atmosphere to where they all pass out? I mean if there isn't enough air they would lose consciousness before dying....

Worst Case Give Rush CPR again...

eliteaceman
June 6th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I guess we didn't bring our flash-bangs to throw inside when the doors opened too

eliteaceman
June 6th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Lets Play Stratedgy, How would you of defended destiny?

1st we know that people come in heavy, so being in the gate room might have an advantage.... they come flying through not expecting to hit the floor hard and take them down as they come in.

2nd More Kino's, Strap some c4 or rig some stun grenades to them!

Weld some doors shut!

Only leave one access to the gate room, the seals can be undone later.

Or the other scenario....

Greer....Flame Thrower... Enough Said.

escyos
June 6th, 2010, 03:09 AM
what if they had brought explosives and when they started venting the atmosphere the detonated it and blew out the gateroom. or what if they managed to blow the doors open before they would be killed? id say the better thing to do was to vent the atmosphere before they dialled in and when they came through they would die a lot quicker

Mr chuckles
June 6th, 2010, 03:26 AM
The moment the gate dialled in I would have started the venting. Then tried to revive telford.

eliteaceman
June 6th, 2010, 03:28 AM
or

Vent when the gate started dialing...

Scott and Greer in space suits.....

Ready to save/capture anyone they needed too

Kanten
June 6th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Stick an iris on the gate made of wall paneling. Or fill the gate room with space ticks.

tomstone
June 6th, 2010, 03:48 AM
As long as the advance team doesn´t try to go further then checking the arrival point and giving the green, I would wait for the Stargate to disconnect and then vent the athmosphere from the Gateroom. Therefore all intruders would sufficate at once, casualties about cero. (theoratically speaking)

If they proceed anyhow, I would station the armed forces right around the next corner next to the doors. Therefore they wouldn´t get hit by a flash/smoke/stun/whatevergrenade and could defend their posts without big problems. Most intruders won´t have the knowledge of the destinys corridors, so choosing good points to overwhelm the enemy shouldn´t be hard to find. For example a crossroads could be used to attack the enemy from three different directions at once. Therefore having at lot of loss on the Enemy side and forcing them back the direction they came from.

meo3000
June 6th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Super glue the gate room floor. The problem is fix on the next kawoosh.

escyos
June 6th, 2010, 04:34 AM
simple: vent the room before anythign happened, the second they come through they will inhale and with no air surprise, surprise. that cobbled together with thee fact that they are flung through would cause you to inhale more and yell out in pain, Dieing a lot quicker. screw telford/rush

Phenomenological
June 6th, 2010, 04:52 AM
They should have vented a good 80% of the oxygen before the gate even activated. Then when the gate shuts down and everyone has collapsed on the floor asphyxiated, you restore the atmosphere and rush in. Or, as someone above said, use flash bangs or some kind of jury rigged alternative. The way that was handled really didn't make much sense to me.

gotthammer
June 6th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Surrender. :D

What? It's a valid strategy! :P

Hmm...maybe seal (i.e., weld) all doors, save one, and barricade the area behind the welded doors (but still leave behind a kino watching each welded door).
Leave the one unwelded door open. Make sure that it leads to one long corridor (if that means welding more doors, so be it), at the end of which is a room where some makeshift fortifications can be set up (hopefully the corridor will be long enough to minimize the effectiveness of any thrown devices such as grenades).
That way, the hostiles will be funneled along one route of advance (until the start boring holes elsewhere, anyway, in which case, maybe small squads quickly reacting can take care of those holes), and most, if not all of Destiny's defensive forces can focus on one point (and since there's a lot of them, they, hopefully, won't rely too much on 'volume of fire' and, thus, conserve ammo...which I'm lead to believe is on the low end of things).

I'm not a fan of 'digging in' tho'...manuever warfare is cooler. :D

pipi
June 6th, 2010, 05:22 AM
oil on the floor man! super fun happy slide. maybe even a cage at the end of it. :)

AdmlDj
June 6th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Stick an iris on the gate made of wall paneling.

i was just thinking about something like that i mean if they came through that fast they would just bounce off the diy iris and fall back into the event horizon problem solved

although if i was young i would have vented the gate room once the gate started dialling telford is surplus to anybodies requirements and rush is replaceable at any time using the stones think about it carter mckay zelenka and old bill lee heading to the pentagon every day for their 9-5 on destiny maybe even sleeping over if they have to! but those guys together and destiny will be home for lunch mid season 2!

Major_Griff
June 6th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Some one said something about disabling the artificial gravity. That would have put Kiva and the gang in no position to do any thing in the negotiations. Though I think Young's initial plan was the best one, he just needed to go through with it.

icsteffi
June 6th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Greer....Flame Thrower... Enough Said.

LoL! Honestly, I wouldn't have done any differently than Young. Who could've known that they had magic door openers?

bobsuncorp
June 6th, 2010, 06:52 AM
My question is whether they can control the pressure as well as the air. If they can then the answer is simple. Lower the pressure, everybody blacks out, then stop lowering it before they suffer braiin damage.

I have to assume that they forgot (or couldn't count on) the way people come through the gate (head first). If they had been able to plan on that, then it shouldn't have been too difficult to have a defense team shoot all the bad guys while they were lying dazed on the deck.

dgh64
June 6th, 2010, 06:53 AM
All you need is some gas that'll knock the people unconscious without killing them. Fill the gate room with it before they arrive, and then once everyone is asleep go in with a couple space suits and tie everyone up and take their weapons. Rush/Telford isn't harmed, and you have a whole bunch of LA prisoners.

Even better: As soon as Telford's brainwashing is undone, when he said "They're coming", just disconnect the stones. When he gets back to his own body, have Telford to pretend to still be Rush, and tell the LA people something like "It's not going to work. My math shows if you try to dial now the gate will explode as soon as the wormhole connects."

striker7770
June 6th, 2010, 07:09 AM
give them the water from water, dosnt it have the bugs from time in them, just let them die in 12 hours, the destiny crew is immune to them.

that or see if i could manipulate the sheild at all, shrink it to encase the gate

or position personal around the back of the gate, the second floor, and under the floor panels. they come flying out of the gate, shoot them. acceptable losses

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 6th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I'm still a big fan of venting the room and killing everyone at once :D

Egle01
June 6th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I'm still a big fan of venting the room and killing everyone at once :DYup. Best course of action. :D

Kaiphantom
June 6th, 2010, 07:43 AM
LoL! Honestly, I wouldn't have done any differently than Young. Who could've known that they had magic door openers?

They're called "explosives." You really expect a military force with access to high technology to come through the door without so much as a single grenade? Though, it kinda looks like they may have, although we don't know for sure. Still, a good military commander should expect their enemy to have explosives.

As people have said, Young's plan was a good one, he just needed to go through with it. The first drop of the idiot ball happened when he didn't order the disconnect of the stones the instant he saw Telford come through. The second drop was when he didn't vent the atmosphere by the time the gate closed.

VOOK
June 6th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Hide behind the Gate as it's dialing, vent the room, kill the stragglers and then save Rush and Kiva.

Bam.

brian_177
June 6th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I would have filled the gateroom with all the military personnel rather than keeping them outside. I get that Young intended to vent he atmosphere, but it seems like it would have been fair for him (even though he doesn't have our outside knowledge) to guess that Rush might come through with them.

Fill the gateroom with soldiers and you've got an unassailable advantage. There's always the worry that a weapon will be sent through the gate first, but as soon as the first LA person walks through, that's the signal to send in the good guys and force them to surrender one by one.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 6th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I would have filled the gateroom with all the military personnel rather than keeping them outside. I get that Young intended to vent he atmosphere, but it seems like it would have been fair for him (even though he doesn't have our outside knowledge) to guess that Rush might come through with them.

Fill the gateroom with soldiers and you've got an unassailable advantage. There's always the worry that a weapon will be sent through the gate first, but as soon as the first LA person walks through, that's the signal to send in the good guys and force them to surrender one by one.

a firefight in a closed room....*shudder*

brian_177
June 6th, 2010, 08:17 AM
No firefight. They can't come through the gate all at once. We watched SG-1 use this exact tactic for 10 seasons, although they did have an iris. Still, we watched them come through flying through the air just like when the good guys first arrived--it would have been a cakewalk.

jelgate
June 6th, 2010, 08:30 AM
There are at least 2 threads about this

kwlafayette
June 6th, 2010, 09:20 AM
From my Googling, highly trained athletes in peak physical condition could survive up to 2 minutes in hard vacuum. But, they would only be conscious for the first 15 or so seconds. So in my opinion, it would have been a simply great idea to have the room waiting at vacuum, or close to it. Assuming a certain level of fitness, you have at least a minute to rescue any soldier who comes through.

Setting up an airlock in an adjacent corridor would have been a great idea too. They would have wanted to take prisoners, but they could not take too many. Assuming you could never trust the prisoners taken, and they could never be trusted to integrate with the crew, they are just liabilities that strain your limited resources while they do no useful work.

Lt. Jeffer
June 6th, 2010, 09:40 AM
pray to BAG he will come and save the day

Pharaoh Atem
June 6th, 2010, 09:44 AM
vent the room kill everyone. nearest gate drop the bodies off. back to normal life.

dgh64
June 6th, 2010, 09:53 AM
You guys are way too violent. Fill the room with sleep gas before the gate opens. The LA folks come through, and before they've recovered from being thrown across the by the gate, they're asleep. Tie everyone up and take their weapons. Then drop them off at the next habitable planet, after you've gotten as much information as you can from them.

Pharaoh Atem
June 6th, 2010, 09:54 AM
You guys are way too violent. Fill the room with sleep gas before the gate opens. The LA folks come through, and before they've recovered from being thrown across the by the gate, they're asleep. Tie everyone up and take their weapons. Then drop them off at the next habitable planet, after you've gotten as much information as you can from them.
no one on destiny has sleeping gas. and violence is ok when defending your home.

Major_Griff
June 6th, 2010, 09:54 AM

Do they have sleeping gas on Destiny? Probably not.

Sami_
June 6th, 2010, 10:07 AM
The ultimate defence would have been what Anubis used to keep them in the gates buffer and deposit them somewhere else.

kwlafayette
June 6th, 2010, 10:08 AM
It all depends how long you have.

Immediately, upon hearing that the LA had an Icarus, I would have ordered the gate room into hard vacuum, and it would stay that way till further notice. If the attack did not follow within a few hours, I would start thinking of building an iris device for my gate, or even a force field like Atlantis, but that would probably takes weeks to get properly done.

Within a few hours I would expect the first of the homemade bombs and booby traps to be built and in position. I would weld the doors to the gate room shut, leaving only one access point, probably a second floor door, then you could use that balcony to pour bullets down in an ambush. I would cut away those stairs to the second floor in the gate room. With more than a few hours, you start building fortifications; empty crates, scrap metal, whatever you can find. Definitely step up cataloging the crates on the ship, you might find something to help. Maybe figure out how to play with the gravity in the gate room, cycle from -1 to +1 type of thing; or make the back wall the new floor (like that one cell O'Niel was in that one episode, were Jackson was trying to help him ascend). If you have days or even weeks to plan and execute, successful attack by the LA becomes less and less likely. Maybe cut a few murder holes in a few key locations, some overlapping fields of fire.

Ultimately, the gate is disconnected, and laid flat on the floor with something like cover stones to prevent a wormhole from even being established. Install a hydraulic lift system so that you can use it whenever you want, but it goes back to the safe position whenever you are not expecting gate activity.

Sami_
June 6th, 2010, 10:15 AM
It all depends how long you have.

Immediately, upon hearing that the LA had an Icarus, I would have ordered the gate room into hard vacuum, and it would stay that way till further notice. If the attack did not follow within a few hours, I would start thinking of building an iris device for my gate, or even a force field like Atlantis, but that would probably takes weeks to get properly done.

Within a few hours I would expect the first of the homemade bombs and booby traps to be built and in position. I would weld the doors to the gate room shut, leaving only one access point, probably a second floor door, then you could use that balcony to pour bullets down in an ambush. I would cut away those stairs to the second floor in the gate room. With more than a few hours, you start building fortifications; empty crates, scrap metal, whatever you can find. Definitely step up cataloging the crates on the ship, you might find something to help. Maybe figure out how to play with the gravity in the gate room, cycle from -1 to +1 type of thing; or make the back wall the new floor (like that one cell O'Niel was in that one episode, were Jackson was trying to help him ascend). If you have days or even weeks to plan and execute, successful attack by the LA becomes less and less likely. Maybe cut a few murder holes in a few key locations, some overlapping fields of fire.

Ultimately, the gate is disconnected, and laid flat on the floor with something like cover stones to prevent a wormhole from even being established. Install a hydraulic lift system so that you can use it whenever you want, but it goes back to the safe position whenever you are not expecting gate activity.

Good advice, also works well in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

Let me know where your fortified structure will be, I have some good ideas for zombie-proof entry systems.

kwlafayette
June 6th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Good advice, also works well in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

Let me know where your fortified structure will be, I have some good ideas for zombie-proof entry systems.

The hallways, ideally, you would want a situation where they would have to squeeze through one at a time, and five guys would be waiting for them (think of an hourglass, or a funnel). You want to be able to herd them, so they can only go where you want them to go, preferably when you want them to go there. That way, they probably surrender without much of a fight, once they see how prepared you are.

Putting surrounding hallways in vacuum is also a good idea. Then you don't have to depend on only one doorway stopping them, or being outflanked easily. Ambushes at T junctions, stuff like that.

magictrick
June 6th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Vent the atmosphere until they are all coughing and passing out. Release the air back in and pull Rush out. Secure the prisoners. Drop them off at the next planet.

Sami_
June 6th, 2010, 11:26 AM
The hallways, ideally, you would want a situation where they would have to squeeze through one at a time, and five guys would be waiting for them (think of an hourglass, or a funnel). You want to be able to herd them, so they can only go where you want them to go, preferably when you want them to go there. That way, they probably surrender without much of a fight, once they see how prepared you are.

Putting surrounding hallways in vacuum is also a good idea. Then you don't have to depend on only one doorway stopping them, or being outflanked easily. Ambushes at T junctions, stuff like that.

I meant when the zombie apocalypse come, not on destiny :P

Freshpez
June 6th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Either have the atmosphere vented before arrival, OR have a defense team in the Gateroom to shoot them as they fly out of the gate.

But then they wouldn't have a plot for a two part cliffhanger. The only way to have a story is to have Young screw up, so I think we have to give him a pass.

tigger89
June 6th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong/using retconned information(I watched the series out of order - sga, then the original movie, then sg1, then the other 2 movies, now sgu), but I thought the purpose of the iris in sg1 and sga was to allow people they like to dial in while being able to selectively "lock the door" if someone they didn't like tried to dial in. However, on destiny they don't want people to dial in at all. There's no good reason someone might be dialing in, and if there is they'd know about it beforehand(ie, a team would go offworld). So, why can't they block the stargate up with something(like burying it), to prevent the wormhole from forming? Just stick something(like one of those military supply crates) through the stargate, and iirc as long as it crosses the event horizon the wormhole can't form.

I can't believe there would be such a gaping hole of fridge logic on a stargate series. Someone please tell me where my thought process has gone wrong.

Phenomenological
June 6th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Of course if they were feeling really sadistic they could just string a few bits of cheesewire from one side of the gate to the other and get the mops ready. :P

But on a more serious note I agree with the poster above. They knew it was coming. Why not just 'bury' the gate as best they could.

Adrian_Jackson
June 6th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I would have positioned soldiers behind and to the side of the gate, and also behind the gate on the balcony above. Each time LA members came through, mow 'em down. Done

brian_177
June 6th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I think this is another situation where for some reason the Young knows an attack is going to happen sooner rather than later for no apparent reason. It happened when they were most recently attacked by the Blue Aliens (where he knew an attack was coming very soon, rather than several days away) and it happened now with this. Even with Telford coming out of the brainwash mode, he still has no idea that Rush has been actively helping the LA make their preparations. For all Telford knows, when he says "You're all in Danger. They're coming," he's just making a blanket statement of general danger.

Young was given no evidence that the LA were coming soon, and yet he makes his preparations as if he has no time at all. It turns out to be true, but one wonders why (as a previous poster suggested) there weren't a few side projects going on, like booby trapping hallways or welding shut doors.

Gollumpus
June 6th, 2010, 02:33 PM
1.) Dig a moat.

2.) Have Wray demand hall passes from any member of the LA who leaves the gateroom.

regards,
G.

Puddle-Jumper
June 6th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I think they should have turned off the life support in the room, and vented some air from the room so that the LA wouldn't have been killed immediately but would have become disorientated, maybe faint, then send in troops and take em down

Ekiel
June 6th, 2010, 02:53 PM
It was completely idiotic.
You don't just give up your biggest advantage. You don't let the enemy establish a beach head, regroup and prepare for their next move.

You stop them at the gate! If you don't you have a much harder time containing them.

How this could have been done is obvious and has already been said a thousand times:
Vent the atmosphere in the gate room and barricade the doors.
Yes, they could have come prepared. So what? Not worse than what happened.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
June 6th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I wouldve vented the atmosphere took whatever supplies and weapons the Lucian alliance brought with them dialed up the gate the next Time we came outta FTL and stranded them on a habitable planet. Yeah I sound like a total JackA** but I'm just stating my opinion.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 6th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Of course if they were feeling really sadistic they could just string a few bits of cheesewire from one side of the gate to the other and get the mops ready. :P

But on a more serious note I agree with the poster above. They knew it was coming. Why not just 'bury' the gate as best they could.that gate is vital to the Destiny's survival. Running any risk to that gate isn't an option. Plus, there's a time issue, to say nothing of a resources issue. Bury it how exactly?

1.) Dig a moat.

2.) Have Wray demand hall passes from any member of the LA who leaves the gateroom.

regards,
G.Wray as hall monitor...*shudder*

brian_177
June 6th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Would people be saying vent the gateroom if it had been Chloe that was stuck in there? Or Eli? Scott?

Sure, he could have vented the room before they arrived, making the unexpected arrival of Rush collateral damage. For whatever reason (perhaps he was holding out hope it would be SGC members coming through the gate, their attack having been successful?) Young didn't pre-vent the room, one of his crew members arrived, and Young made the decision that swift victory wasn't worth losing Rush.

tomstone
June 6th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Hide behind the Gate as it's dialing, vent the room, kill the stragglers and then save Rush and Kiva.

Bam. How do you expect the Soldiers to kill the stragglers when they also sufficated behind the Gate?

pipi
June 6th, 2010, 07:35 PM
i was just thinking about something like that i mean if they came through that fast they would just bounce off the diy iris and fall back into the event horizon problem solved

I can't remember what happens when you enter the event horizon from the other way. Do you end up back on the other end? I thought stargate wormholes were one way. But then I do recall an episode in the stargate franchise where someone exited a stargate and shot back into it. What happens to those bullets?

And what about the prisioner planet episode where a piece of long wood came out of th event horizon to funnel food gloop, then only to retract itself, as in going the wrong way in the event horizon. And if they could go both ways in the event horizon, then they could have evacuated everyone from Atlantis by dialing the gate from Earth. And radio waves seem to transmit both ways. So what gives.

brian_177
June 6th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I'm not an expert or anything, but I think when someone (like O'Neill) returns back to Earth firing bullets backwards into the gate, that's merely because he was firing them when he entered. I don't think those bullets arrive, and I imagine that they're actually destroyed.

Although, I've always wondered. Even with the assistance of devices like a Keno or MALP, how exactly do radio and video transmissions find their way back through the worm hole if they only work one way?

GateroomGuard
June 6th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Unbolt the Stargate and lay it flat on the ground. Either it won't work and problem is solved or whenever the Lucian Alliance come through they'll fall right back into the event horizon the moment they come out. Or lay it the other way and let them be squashed the moment they come out.

EllieVee
June 6th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Unbolt the Stargate and lay it flat on the ground. Either it won't work and problem is solved or whenever the Lucian Alliance come through they'll fall right back into the event horizon the moment they come out. Or lay it the other way and let them be squashed the moment they come out.

Wouldn't the kawoosh take out the floor?

dgh64
June 6th, 2010, 09:30 PM

I like the idea of pointing the gate upward. Except for radio waves, stuff only goes one way through a wormhole, and if I remember correctly anything (or anyone) falling into the "out" end will have their atoms ripped apart or something equally deadly. The only problem is that coming to Destiny from the Milky Way tends to throw you out of the wormhole at significant speed, so it's probable that at least some LA people would hit the ground instead of the gate (possibly after smacking into the ceiling), but you'd at least have fewer of them to deal with.

Pointing the gate at the floor isn't a good idea. The gate has several inches of thickness between its forwardmost surface (probalby the chevrons) and the event horizon itself, so the kawoosh has plenty of room to form. It'd just make a large hole into the deck below, and then you'd have LA forces running around down there instead. Unless the gate room happens to be all the way at the bottom of the ship, in which case it would cause a massive hull breach and throw them out into space, probably vaporizing them against the inside of the shield.

J_schinderlin56
June 6th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I say vent ALL the air out of the gateroom, and turn off the artificial Gravity. Not only would the lack of air disorient them, but with no gravity they would just go crashing into the wall. They wouldn't have time to figure out what was going on and open the doors before they passed out.

Game over.

GateroomGuard
June 6th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Pointing the gate at the floor isn't a good idea. The gate has several inches of thickness between its forwardmost surface (probalby the chevrons) and the event horizon itself, so the kawoosh has plenty of room to form. It'd just make a large hole into the deck below, and then you'd have LA forces running around down there instead. Unless the gate room happens to be all the way at the bottom of the ship, in which case it would cause a massive hull breach and throw them out into space, probably vaporizing them against the inside of the shield.

Crap! I forgot about the kawoosh. Okay drop it once the kawoosh goes away.

Gollumpus
June 6th, 2010, 09:57 PM
It's pretty obvious that the fix was in as soon as Young said he'd vent the room when the LA came through the gate. In the "real world" he would have vented it from the start. It was the fastest and easiest way for him to defend the people on board. Young wouldn't have know for certain that Telford/Rush was going to be tossed through, although the possibility would be known to him.

It could have a negative effect on the floor, but if it were suspended from the ceiling...

regards,
G.

GateroomGuard
June 6th, 2010, 10:06 PM
It could have a negative effect on the floor, but if it were suspended from the ceiling...

regards,
G.

I like the way you think. Suspended from the ceiling and with the speed the LA come out all we'd have to worry about would be cleaning up the mess.

Phenomenological
June 6th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I think the idea of simply moving the gate would fail. We know the dialling mechanisms are inside the floor. I doubt the gate is at all easy to remove.

GateroomGuard
June 6th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I think the idea of simply moving the gate would fail. We know the dialling mechanisms are inside the floor. I doubt the gate is at all easy to remove.

Well we could detach it and then reatach it once the threat is over. I mean all the civillians are scientists, how many would it take to take a Stargate out and reinstall it? Moving it would be the biggest problem, that thing is probably really heavy.

pipi
June 7th, 2010, 02:05 AM
They could have moved the stargate closer to the wall but just out of range of the initial splash. Then as they fly in, they'd hit the wall and break some bones. :)

AdmlDj
June 7th, 2010, 02:19 AM
I can't remember what happens when you enter the event horizon from the other way. Do you end up back on the other end? I thought stargate wormholes were one way. But then I do recall an episode in the stargate franchise where someone exited a stargate and shot back into it. What happens to those bullets?

And what about the prisioner planet episode where a piece of long wood came out of th event horizon to funnel food gloop, then only to retract itself, as in going the wrong way in the event horizon. And if they could go both ways in the event horizon, then they could have evacuated everyone from Atlantis by dialing the gate from Earth. And radio waves seem to transmit both ways. So what gives.

i think its fair to say the prisoner planet one was a blooper it has been stated loads of times that things arent sent to the destination until they have fully entered the gate they are leaving from and there was an episode of sg1 where they sent a malp through to a planet where the gate had been knocked over it exited the gate and then slipped back in to the event horizon signal lost is what it said on the computers in sgc i think that means it was gone so laying the gate on its back when not in use would be perfect

janus4ever
June 7th, 2010, 02:34 AM
venting the gate room till they faint and attack them would be a smarter strategy.

Young screwed again and no one warned him again, so , writers screwed...

Egle01
June 7th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Young screwed again and no one warned him again, so , writers screwed...Uhm, no. Young did, an intentional move by the writers. And I like it.

Werewolfhero
June 7th, 2010, 03:09 AM
get enough of the spacesuits that function as they can, and ready some air tanks, vent the section of the ship that the lucians are in, as they're all gasping for air, the spacesuited crew burst in, shoot the lucians who are lunging for their masks, and rescue the captives, hooking them up with the extra air tanks and get them evacuated as the suited crew finish killing off the lucians. Problem solved :3

bobsuncorp
June 7th, 2010, 07:46 AM
The problem Young has is resources and time. He is unable to move the gate in any way (for a start it's buried in the floor, remember the ring goes through holes in the floor to allow it to spin) and even if it weren't the thing is really damn heavy. Even with ropes and stuff it would be really difficult and time consuming to reposition it in any way.

He has nothing to build an iris or iris equivalent out of, and its for damn sure he has no gas or anything to incapacitate the incoming travellers. Yes he screwed up by not venting immediately but if we forgive him that there is not a lot more he could have done. It would have been nice to have a few flashbangs or Goa'auld stun grenades come through ahead of the LA just to show why he couldn't have a defense team but maybe that (or the conversation about it) was cut for time.

BTW if you go through the puddle the wrong way you are disintergrated just like if you get caught in the kawoosh. The reason the food pipe worked on the prison planet is because it never completely emerged from the puddle, the same reason Jack was able to keep the "door open" from the other end by sticking his arm in the event horizon in the ep where he pretended to join the rogue NID.

My opinion, he should have laid some claymores or something if not in the gateroom then in the corridor outside. It's difficult to come up with strategies when we don't know what they have to work with however.

bobsuncorp
June 7th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Just had a thought, maybe Young should have radioed Keeva the minute the gate connected and bluffed her: "We have activated a force sheild on this side, and anyone who steps through will be instantly killed". Although come to think of it she may have called his bluff, particularly since the planet was blowing up around her.

bobsuncorp
June 7th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I should really read all of the posts in a thread before putting in my 2 cents, if I had, I would have seen that other people mentioned the points I raised about the gate being in the floor, and being heavy. D'oh!

dgh64
June 7th, 2010, 09:16 AM
He has nothing to build an iris or iris equivalent out of, and its for damn sure he has no gas or anything to incapacitate the incoming travellers.

Well, he could decrease the oxygen level enough that people pass out but don't die. Also, didn't they bring any flashbangs with them? They could somehow set up a trip wire or remote control (could be as simple as a guy in the hallway holding a string tied to the pin) to momentarily stun the LA people and storm the room during the confusion.

BTW if you go through the puddle the wrong way you are disintergrated just like if you get caught in the kawoosh. The reason the food pipe worked on the prison planet is because it never completely emerged from the puddle, the same reason Jack was able to keep the "door open" from the other end by sticking his arm in the event horizon in the ep where he pretended to join the rogue NID.

They've been a little inconsistent about this -- the food pipe on the prison planet was able to go partway through the gate and then come back again when feeding time was over, but in an Atlantis episode a puddle jumper stuck in the gate wouldn't rematerialize on the other side until it was all the way through. In Air 3 when Eli stuck his arm in the gate to keep it open, his hand didn't stick out the other side.

My opinion, he should have laid some claymores or something if not in the gateroom then in the corridor outside. It's difficult to come up with strategies when we don't know what they have to work with however.

Large explosives in confined spaces (i.e. corridors on a ship) isn't a good idea when your own troops are in the immediate area.

beafly
June 7th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I would have executed the plan I originally set in motion.

VENT THE ROOM

Clean the bodies up later.

Seeing Telford enter the room, I'd have disconnected the stones to save Rush (only to find it had already been done) and ordered a team on standby to retrieve Telford and attempt to revive him as soon as the gate closed.

bobsuncorp
June 7th, 2010, 01:21 PM
They've been a little inconsistent about this -- the food pipe on the prison planet was able to go partway through the gate and then come back again when feeding time was over, but in an Atlantis episode a puddle jumper stuck in the gate wouldn't rematerialize on the other side until it was all the way through. In Air 3 when Eli stuck his arm in the gate to keep it open, his hand didn't stick out the other side.

IMO the difference between the prison planet and the Jumper in 38 minutes was that if it had been possible to apply the reverse thrust necessary to fight against the Gate's inertia then they would have been able to get out of that. Don't forget that when you start to enter the gate then it automatically tries to pull you through. It is possible to pull out again, but only if there is more of you outside the gate than in, or if the force was great enough. I always got the impression that the pulling force increased the greater amount of an object started to go through. In the case of the Jumper, at first the engine got stuck, this robbed them of their momentum and then their position and damage to the ship prevented them from applying the necessary reverse thrust.

MattSilver 3k
June 7th, 2010, 01:37 PM
The Foolproff Foolproof Matt Silver 3k defence, as stated by This Fool:

For this demonstration, the part of Colonel Everett Young will be played by Matt Silver.

- Upon activation of the Stargate, vent the atmosphere.

- Wait a minute or so for them to finally die. Turns out that in a minute they're more than capable of using their door openers or gas masks to escape the room's effects.

- Curse softly at yourself. Notice Telford's return, make a snarky comment about how he won't be screwing your wife Emily now. Laugh maniacally and imagine the fun you will have with TJ when she gets her figure back.

- Have your soldiers try a firefight in close quarters. Have them fail miserably - both sides get wounded, but only a scratch. Some lucky LA guy gets a thread of devotion to equal BAG's for shooting Chloe.

- Retreat, close off the ship, hope like all hell TJ doesn't get captur-

- Son of a blitch. Return ventilation to the gate room as good faith, work on a ceasefire of sorts with Wray.

- Defence: Failed. Negotiation/Hopeless Arguing and Yelling: In progress.

- Realise that Telford could attempt to seduce Emily through another body. Worked on her once...

- Son of a blitch.

I maintain venting wouldn't have helped much beyond pissing off the LA a bit and maybe hurting Telford's feelings, thus dampening chances of getting out of this with Riley and TJ, at least, alive.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 7th, 2010, 01:43 PM
The Foolproff Foolproof Matt Silver 3k defence, as stated by This Fool:

For this demonstration, the part of Colonel Everett Young will be played by Matt Silver.

- Upon activation of the Stargate, vent the atmosphere.

- Wait a minute or so for them to finally die. Turns out that in a minute they're more than capable of using their door openers or gas masks to escape the room's effects.

- Curse softly at yourself. Notice Telford's return, make a snarky comment about how he won't be screwing your wife Emily now. Laugh maniacally and imagine the fun you will have with TJ when she gets her figure back.

- Have your soldiers try a firefight in close quarters. Have them fail miserably - both sides get wounded, but only a scratch. Some lucky LA guy gets a thread of devotion to equal BAG's for shooting Chloe.

- Retreat, close off the ship, hope like all hell TJ doesn't get captur-

- Son of a blitch. Return ventilation to the gate room as good faith, work on a ceasefire of sorts with Wray.

- Defence: Failed. Negotiation/Hopeless Arguing and Yelling: In progress.

- Realise that Telford could attempt to seduce Emily through another body. Worked on her once...

- Son of a blitch.

I maintain venting wouldn't have helped much beyond pissing off the LA a bit and maybe hurting Telford's feelings, thus dampening chances of getting out of this with Riley and TJ, at least, alive.

epic yelling and shouting brings around some other alien species that have been listening to the signals from the Destiny ever since they've entered the galaxy. They assume from this that the Destiny is a threat and proceed to eat the Destiny whole, slurping the ship into it's gullet, whale-fashion. Of course, with the shields, the Destiny won't succumb immediately and so the yelling will continue for a bit more, upsetting the belly of the great beast. In an effort to disgorge the Destiny, the creature heaves up the license plate that Young had fastened to the outside declaring that it really was his ship all along.....

this is fun :)

dgh64
June 7th, 2010, 01:47 PM
IMO the difference between the prison planet and the Jumper in 38 minutes was that if it had been possible to apply the reverse thrust necessary to fight against the Gate's inertia then they would have been able to get out of that. Don't forget that when you start to enter the gate then it automatically tries to pull you through. It is possible to pull out again, but only if there is more of you outside the gate than in, or if the force was great enough. I always got the impression that the pulling force increased the greater amount of an object started to go through. In the case of the Jumper, at first the engine got stuck, this robbed them of their momentum and then their position and damage to the ship prevented them from applying the necessary reverse thrust.

Yes, if the Jumper had been able to apply reverse thrust then they could have backed out of the gate just fine. The thing is, though, a large portion of the jumper (seemed like 4 or 5 feet, at least) was sticking through the gate, and if they were being consistent (with the food pipe on the prison episode) then the front part of the Jumper should have been sticking out in Atlantis's gate room.

Phenomenological
June 7th, 2010, 03:00 PM
The 'One way through the gate' concept is used when it's convenient and ignored when it's convenient. Such is television.

pipi
June 7th, 2010, 04:22 PM
The reason the food pipe worked on the prison planet is because it never completely emerged from the puddle

I think it's just a plot hole, or a specially modified stargate, seeing that the people had some advanced technology anyway. What would happen if a prisoner grabbed onto the end of the food pipe as it retracted? The arm and body could constitute part of the end of the food pipe as far as the stargate is concerned.

Speaking of plot holes. The event horizon specifically repells water and air. So depending on how strict it is, food gloop could be repelled from entering the horizon if it had a high water content. Possibly another plot hole.

Major_Griff
June 7th, 2010, 06:35 PM
In 38 minutes Ford was pulled out from the puddle when only his hand was sticking out. I don't think there's any inconsistency. Besides if I'm just missing something and there is, the argument could be made that in Prisoners it was an incoming wormhole and in 38 minutes it was outgoing so that could explain it.

dgh64
June 7th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Yes, in Prisoners they were on the "out" side of the wormhole and in 38 mintues they were on the "in" side... but for consistency, the front end of the jumper should have been sticking through into Atlantis's gate room, along with the pilot and all-of-Ford-except-his-hand.

jelgate
June 7th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Yes, in Prisoners they were on the "out" side of the wormhole and in 38 mintues they were on the "in" side... but for consistency, the front end of the jumper should have been sticking through into Atlantis's gate room, along with the pilot and all-of-Ford-except-his-hand.
No. The wormhole only transmits as whole. Numerous episodes prove this

Major_Griff
June 7th, 2010, 06:43 PM
No. The wormhole only transmits as whole. Numerous episodes prove this

Yeah Air pt 3 for instance, and I'm sure there's some SG-1 eps from before 38 minutes that would be examples.

fmbchris
June 7th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I would use kenos as Suicide Bombers. put a block of c4 on one!

Giantevilhead
June 7th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Push the gate over so that anyone who comes through falls right back into the event horizon.

J_schinderlin56
June 7th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I would have Optimus Prime waiting for them in the Gateroom ready to Transform and Roll over em'

bobsuncorp
June 9th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Turn off the artificial gravity and have a defense team in magnetised boots. Has someone already said that?

Glad we have got away from the discussion of wormhole theory....

YutheGreat
June 9th, 2010, 05:56 AM
With Young's intel, Strategically venting would be the best way to defend the gate; but you have to do it fast I mean really fast like 30 seconds or less I mean there is a chance the enemy brought oxygen tanks and had time to use them. In order to conserve ammo and prevent loss of life for earth forces

If I had all information, (Like the fact that Kiva had hostages, Icarus planet blowing up, and that they had door openers I would have had cargo containers placed in front of the gate with every man armed behind them. The moment a LA member step in a single shot to the head for each one. The ones behind will have no warning so they'll just keep comming in and dying as they rematerialize on our side. Of course, we might run out of ammo before they run out of men.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 9th, 2010, 06:57 AM
With Young's intel, Strategically venting would be the best way to defend the gate; but you have to do it fast I mean really fast like 30 seconds or less I mean there is a chance the enemy brought oxygen tanks and had time to use them. In order to conserve ammo and prevent loss of life for earth forces

If I had all information, (Like the fact that Kiva had hostages, Icarus planet blowing up, and that they had door openers I would have had cargo containers placed in front of the gate with every man armed behind them. The moment a LA member step in a single shot to the head for each one. The ones behind will have no warning so they'll just keep comming in and dying as they rematerialize on our side. Of course, we might run out of ammo before they run out of men.he didn't have all the information though, which is the thing :)
he had what he had to work with

Control_Chair
June 9th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I would have already had the gate room in a vacuum before the gate dialled and not waited until the wormhole had established. I would also have had Riley standing by in the communications lab to pull the plug on the stones as soon as Rush/Telford came through (not knowing that gate travel would sever the link anyway). Finally I would have had Scott and Greer in the environmental suits to recue Telford as soon as possible....Incursion by LA forces, dealt with!

YutheGreat
June 9th, 2010, 07:45 AM
he didn't have all the information though, which is the thing :)
he had what he had to work with

Yeah he did the best he could under the circumstances. Without killing Telford...

Flyboy
June 9th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I'd have vented atmosphere immediatly upon the LA stepping through the wormhole to the extent that would have left them all largely incapacitated. I would then have sent two or three sections in to secure the room, re-establishing normal atmospheric conditions. Thus Telford/Rush would be in bad shape, but not dead - the LA leadership would be able to be interrogated, and the rest dumped on a planet somwhere.

daedalus91
June 9th, 2010, 08:26 AM
This episode was great, however the whole TPTB idea was terrible. I mean they could have done so much more to prevent the LA from getting this far. Fair enough Rush/Telford was in there, but they could just as easily vented some of the corridors, the best solution would have been to vent the atmospehre, making all the LA pass out or immobilzed on the floor, send a team in secure weapons catch them. And finally wait for the gate to dial. (Once the problem is fixed), they really should have thought it through a bit more. Saying this it is a good ep and the way it was done does allow for more dramatic and edgier things to happe, but its just the logic that bugs me. Still a great ep though.

dgh64
June 9th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I just had a thought... if you disconnect the stones right after Telford's brainwashing is removed, then would you be able to reconnect them without Telford's body being at the stone pad in the Pentagon? It seems like if you just turn off the pad on Destiny but leave everyone's imprints on the stones, it would be possible.

If it's possible then you could send Telford back to his own body before the invasion to gather intel and then bring him back to report. Meanwhile Rush returns to his own body and you can ask him what's up (anything he knows on the LA base) and then when you reconnect the stones you send him back to the LA base to sabotage both the gate and their anti-beaming tech so Hammond can beam him out.

daedalus91
June 9th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I just had a thought... if you disconnect the stones right after Telford's brainwashing is removed, then would you be able to reconnect them without Telford's body being at the stone pad in the Pentagon? It seems like if you just turn off the pad on Destiny but leave everyone's imprints on the stones, it would be possible.

If it's possible then you could send Telford back to his own body before the invasion to gather intel and then bring him back to report. Meanwhile Rush returns to his own body and you can ask him what's up (anything he knows on the LA base) and then when you reconnect the stones you send him back to the LA base to sabotage both the gate and their anti-beaming tech so Hammond can beam him out.

You still wouldn't be able to beam him back, because of the jamming field that was in place, as for the other part i am not completely sure what you mean?

Gollumpus
June 9th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Leave several computer terminals logged on to the Gateworld forums. The LA types will become engrossed in the drama... :P

regards,
G.

dgh64
June 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM
You still wouldn't be able to beam him back, because of the jamming field that was in place

I think I adressed that...

Ah, yes, there it is.

Basically, I'm suggesting they disconnect the stones immediately after Telford's line "They're coming." Debrief Rush, let him tell you that he's almost gotten their gate working, meanwhile Telford is back in his own body, giving Kiva the password so she knows who it is. Since he's not a brilliant scientist, she wouldn't make him work on the gate, instead he could wander around the pyramid and sabotage their anti-beaming field, and possibly also the gate itself.

jmoz
June 9th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Think this has been addressed but..

They're in a new galaxy but when they dropped out of FTL, there weren't any planets that they could dial out to, right?

I forget what episode in SG1, but wasn't Carter able to sorta dial the gate somehow to get Teal'c out cause he was stuck in its buffer? Or is that not feasible because that would take too long, even if they communistoned someone from the SGC? To prevent the Lucian Alliance from dialing in.

dgh64
June 9th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Teal'c was stuck in the gate's buffer because Taneth's Al'kesh crashed into the other gate at the moment Teal'c was coming through, so the wormhole shut down. Without an actual DHD on our end to act as a power source, the gate couldn't rematerialize Teal'c so we had to use the Russian DHD. I'm not sure how that applies in this situation, however.

jmoz
June 9th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Sam and company were able to turn on the gate without actually connecting to another gate. Could they have done that with the Destiny's gate to occupy it so that the Lucian Alliance couldn't dial in?

dgh64
June 9th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Oh, I see. Well, I don't know if it's possible or not. The handheld Kino remotes also act as a DHD, so maybe Carter or someone equally smart could have used the stones and modified one to "dial" the gate. Probably there wasn't enough time though. Also Destiny was in FTL until it detected someone trying to dial in, so maybe the gate wouldn't work in FTL?

Inquisitor
June 9th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't void the atmosphere, I would increase the CO2 levels so they get knocked unconscious and don't die (straight away)...

GateroomGuard
June 9th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Best way to defend the Destiny. Have Young take the writers offworld and headbutt them untill they rewrite the episode making him win.

Abiron
June 9th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Given a limited amount of time and an enemy whose strength and tech is unknown, and assuming that control of life support is complete, I would:

1. Move all civilians to the furthest area from the gateroom possible.

2. Clear the gateroom, void the atmosphere, and dial UP the local gravity in the gateroom to as high as possible - 5G would be nice.

3. Weld all floor-level hatches shut, leaving only one egress at the top of the stairs.

4. Rig several kinos with explosives and plant them on the stairs themselves, or under them, just in case the lack of air and the high gravity environment aren't enough.

5. When enemies arrive, they should be immediately piled in front of the gate due to the high gravity and be incapacitated very quickly, unable to move or breathe. Even if they arrive wearing breathing gear, the high gravity will keep them from doing much. A 150-pound LA warrior carrying 20 pounds of kit now weighs 750 pounds and carries 100 pounds. He's not getting off the floor any time soon.

6. Once the gate disconnects, wait until all life signs in the gateroom are flatlined.

7. Restore normal life support and gravity and clean up.

No need to expose any of Destiny's troops to danger. Of course, that wouldn't make for very entertaining drama.

Inquisitor
June 10th, 2010, 01:59 AM
If you reversed the artificial gravity, they'd "fly" up to the ceiling and wouldn't be able to access the doors. That would be quite funny.

Kanten
June 10th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Do they have atmosphere control in the corridors? It would have seemed a good idea to create a bit larger of a buffer zone between them and the LA forces. Move everyone on board to a distant part of the ship, seal off the perimeter areas around the gate room and vent the atmosphere in those areas, then you basically could tell them "If you open the doors you are going to die."

bobsuncorp
June 10th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Knowing there is artificial gravity isn't the same thing as having control of it, especially on Destiny when they are still on a runaway train.

Also (and I really wanted to avoid another discussion on wormhole theory but I just couldn't resist) the reason Teal'c got stuck in the gate was because SGC doesn't have a DHD, and hence there are a multitude of problems they cannot resolve as easily because they couldn't have predicted them. If they had had a DHD Teal'c would have either walked through the gate right behind the others (the DHD having done the work that Carter ultimately had to replicate) or his "signal" would not have progressed far enough along the wormhole and he would have been as lost as if he hadn't stepped into the gate before it was destroyed. On Destiny, either the DHD work is done in the handhelds or the gate itself. I suppose it is possible that Destiny's gate specifically requires the DHD type control in the Gate room but even so that is there already. So to sum up, Teal'c was almost lost because they had no DHD.

dgh64
June 10th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Do they have atmosphere control in the corridors? It would have seemed a good idea to create a bit larger of a buffer zone between them and the LA forces. Move everyone on board to a distant part of the ship, seal off the perimeter areas around the gate room and vent the atmosphere in those areas, then you basically could tell them "If you open the doors you are going to die."

This was something I thought of, too. Magic door openers and cutting through bulkheads don't do you any good if all the hallways are hard vacuum.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 10th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Best way to defend the Destiny. Have Young take the writers offworld and headbutt them untill they rewrite the episode making him win.

1st green of the day :)

fmbchris
June 10th, 2010, 08:02 PM
self destruct the ship!

UniverseSizePlotHole
June 11th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Greased floor...
Mass Kino kamikaze strike at LA heads...
Then low blows...
Then Greer's flamethrower.

We do have a limitless supply of Kino's right?

jelgate
June 11th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Greased floor...
Mass Kino kamikaze strike at LA heads...
Then low blows...
Then Greer's flamethrower.

We do have a limitless supply of Kino's right?There is no such thing as truly limitless.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 11th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I don't even want to think what they'd grease the floors with :D

jelgate
June 11th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I don't even want to think what they'd grease the floors with :D

Brody's still

Aragon101
June 11th, 2010, 04:33 PM
First off, toss all the couches and mattresses on the ship into the gate room creating a minefield of rough terrain. Second, vent the atmosphere. third, have Scott, Greer and James in suits behind cover ready to shoot the LA as they arrive. Four, set up grenade/stabbing/tripwire traps. They're NOT hard to make.

Their beds might end up witha few holes, but they've suddenly got no invasion or occupation to worry about.

skarwolf
June 11th, 2010, 06:01 PM
1. Gate room guards 24/7 any unintended activation of the stargate means lethal force to anyone coming through.

2. Seal all doors, either by destroying the circuity to open them or weld them shut, and add more blockage, plates, whatever to the inner side should someone open the door.

3. Only one point of entry / exit heavily guarded, mined, and easily closed and sealed.

4. Train any civilians interested in basic military self defense, weapons, means more people to help

5. Destroy the communication stones. All they've caused is trouble.

Aragon101
June 11th, 2010, 06:15 PM
WTF, my post was deleted :sheppard33:

Why? It's a valid defense strategy! Confuse the hell out of the LA by putting couches in the gateroom!

EDIT: It went missing for a bit, but it came back :) Danke!

SantaSlayer
June 11th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Too bad there weren't any bulletproof shields since I would have placed them in all entrances out of the gateroom and ready the guards there. The first group of LA troops that flew through the gate would have been mowed down before they could have reported anything to Kiva. Once Kiva and the rest of the LA came, they would have been surprised and at the same time ambushed while Telford picks a gun up and turns it to the rest of the LA troops if he survives. ;)

dgh64
June 11th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Here's a thought... Destiny has to drop out of FTL for the gate to accept an incoming wormhole. It must receive some sort of signal from the gate to tell it when to do this. So just cut all connection between the gate and the ship. No signal from the gate, ship stays in FTL. Ship stays in FTL, gate can't connect. Simple.

Yes, we have seen several times that a gate disconnected from its power source will still accept incoming wormholes, BUT, the fact that the ship always drops out of FTL for a wormhole (incoming or outgoing) must mean that something about wormhole physics prevents a gate moving at FTL speeds from connecting.

garhkal
June 12th, 2010, 04:52 AM
In many a Star wars game (The role playing game), we hae had to fight off impeirals and other scum (pirates) raiding out ship. 2 of my favored tactics is to
A) lower the gravity so they are floating around. No contact with the ground, no capacity to move. (well without shooting in one direction to move in the other)
B) lowering the oxygen content to where they pass out (11% is low enough iirc from my buddies in medical). THEY stay alive, but are out of action.

longlobo
June 12th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Americans love football, they can just have a team standing right in front of the gate, push back whoever want to walk thru the gate into event horizon.

Personally, i like the ideal venting half the air in the gateroom. shooting ppl walk thur the gate one by one before they team up may be a good plan too, however, LA has radio, the other end of the gate will know what's going on.

garhkal
June 13th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Would people be saying vent the gateroom if it had been Chloe that was stuck in there? Or Eli? Scott?

It would not matter to me who it was.. Rather one life die than 10 or more.

How do you expect the Soldiers to kill the stragglers when they also sufficated behind the Gate?

Cause they would be wearng those suits... Ergo no suffocation them.

I say vent ALL the air out of the gateroom, and turn off the artificial Gravity. Not only would the lack of air disorient them, but with no gravity they would just go crashing into the wall. They wouldn't have time to figure out what was going on and open the doors before they passed out.

I already said turn off the gravity.

Just had a thought, maybe Young should have radioed Keeva the minute the gate connected and bluffed her: "We have activated a force sheild on this side, and anyone who steps through will be instantly killed". Although come to think of it she may have called his bluff, particularly since the planet was blowing up around her.

While i like that idea, unless they hapened to be on our freq, they would not have heard.

I would have had cargo containers placed in front of the gate with every man armed behind them.

We know if there is enough stuff IN THE gate, it won't connect. So why not pile those cargo containers they took in the gateway..

I wouldn't void the atmosphere, I would increase the CO2 levels so they get knocked unconscious and don't die (straight away)...

That is an interesting option.

2. Clear the gateroom, void the atmosphere, and dial UP the local gravity in the gateroom to as high as possible - 5G would be nice.

A nice counter to my 'removing all gravity'

YsoL8
June 15th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Bulid an expact replica of the alliance pyramid gateroom, so Colonal Serious leather shoots her own people to show how seriously upset she is about the stargate malfunctioning.

Or leave a note in the gateroom explaining there's a starbucks at the next gate the ship dials so they all go out for coffee. And then leave them behind :)

radtech
June 19th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I completly agree with you,i believe the destiny could have controlled the amount of air in the gate room,i had the exact same idea,while every everyone is disoriented by the low level of oxygen,they wouldnt even been able to stand,let alone hold a gun or aim it well.
great minds think alike.

kache
August 17th, 2010, 04:01 PM
How about venting enough atmosphere to where they all pass out? I mean if there isn't enough air they would lose consciousness before dying....

Worst Case Give Rush CPR again...

We all thought this. The simplest way was just to remove all the atmosphere before they entered (also because the boss woman kept sending men to the ship even though she didn't receive communications from the other side) and then CPR to Rush/guyIdont'trememberthename. Simple, clean and casualties-free.

jelgate
August 17th, 2010, 04:04 PM
We all thought this. The simplest way was just to remove all the atmosphere before they entered (also because the boss woman kept sending men to the ship even though she didn't receive communications from the other side) and then CPR to Rush/guyIdont'trememberthename. Simple, clean and casualties-free.

Do you know how many people actually survive after CPR is adminstered. Its not an overly high number

kache
August 17th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Do you know how many people actually survive after CPR is adminstered. Its not an overly high number
Look, in that situation the survival of that guy was not important, because the thing they risked (and they lost, at least for a while), was the safety of the crew (which is thenths of people).
Thus, even if they didn't save him, it wouldn't matter, because the most important task (safety of the crew) would have been accomplished, and that was enough.

kache
August 17th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Others solutions:
- Sleeping gas. They probably didn't have it, but we don't know what their supplies were, so it's a viable option.
- Poisonous gas + antidote for the man to be saved. Already there or fabricated with the poison they took from the plant on that planet (the poison used as an anesthetic).
- Grid of bombed kinos
- Two electrical grids (one on the ceiling and one on the floor) and wires fixed on the ceiling (if they are fixed on both the grids they break when the enemies are shot trough the gate), delivering an 500V, 200A current.
- Freezing gas (the one used on the guy on the chair in the 17th episode). All frozen and the guy saved by heating.
- Create a shield inside the gate room to seal that room from the rest of the ship.

Basically, the thing which had to be done was making them inoffensive, one way or another, because the killing can be done later by the soldiers (one shot in the head for each and bullet bill sent to the relatives. :D).

jelgate
August 17th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Those seem to be beyond our supplies and Destiny's capablities

jfarrell327
February 5th, 2015, 11:51 PM
This episode is awful... I mean I like the idea and all but how it turned out... Only in the movies and well TV shows I guess... In real life I think any commander, civilian or military would've vented the room just like they did to Telford... Even Dr. Jackson would've done it and he is the biggest diplomat/humanitarian there is in the series. Venting the atmosphere wouldn't necessarily kill them either, at least not all of them.

Sorry to be posting 4.5 years later but I just watched the episode well am as I am writing this...