PDA

View Full Version : Carter...

blueintegraboy
June 5th, 2010, 07:51 PM
It's nice to see Carter again, but dang did she look old(er). Somehow we need Teal'c to come back from Chulak and have an og SG1 reunion.

hedwig
June 5th, 2010, 07:53 PM
It's the hair color. :D But I don't think it makes her look older. :)

GateroomGuard
June 5th, 2010, 07:55 PM
She didn't look old! :p

She still looks good in my book. Nice to see her still doing stuff, never thought she'd be a 304 commander though.

But is there a Maj. Marks on every 304 because he sure gets around.

Major_Griff
I think the PTB think Jaffa aren't realistic enough for SGU. I'd be all for Teal'c showing up though.

blueintegraboy
Yes, it does seem darker. She probably couldn't wash all the dye out.

Pharaoh Atem
June 5th, 2010, 07:58 PM
It's nice to see Carter again, but dang did she look old(er).

it's been 16 year since this

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season1/101-ChildrenOfTheGods/screencaps/normal_sg1_101_0388.JPG

Major_Griff
June 5th, 2010, 07:59 PM

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season1/101-ChildrenOfTheGods/screencaps/normal_sg1_101_0388.JPG

lolz

GateroomGuard
June 5th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I actually think she looks better with the long hair.

blueintegraboy
June 5th, 2010, 08:00 PM

Maybe b/c I'm spoiled since I'm rewatching SG1 from the beginning when I'm not studying.

Pharaoh Atem
June 5th, 2010, 08:01 PM
agreed

Pharaoh Atem
June 5th, 2010, 08:05 PM
to compare

air pt 1

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/uni_season1/101-AirPart1/screencaps/normal_sgu_101_2204.jpg

cnnrstrav
June 5th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Wow, the golden years. She sure is golden though. I think she'll stay beautiful and badass up until her late 80s. I really liked seeing her too. But....yeah, I never expected her to be a commander of a starship. She should be inventing super-cool backwards-engineered tech or something. Oh well, I guess Mckay superseded her in that respect. :(

Major_Griff
June 5th, 2010, 08:07 PM
She doesn't really look that much older, considering it's been more than a decade between those pictures.

blueintegraboy
June 5th, 2010, 08:08 PM
But....yeah, I never expected her to be a commander of a starship.

She was commander of the USS George Hammond prior to SGU

Pharaoh Atem
June 5th, 2010, 08:09 PM
by season 47 of sgu

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season10/1020-Unending/screencaps/normal_sg1_1020_641.jpg

Burns
June 5th, 2010, 08:09 PM

2nd'ed

GateroomGuard
June 5th, 2010, 08:11 PM
by season 47 of sgu

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season10/1020-Unending/screencaps/normal_sg1_1020_641.jpg

McKay is recoiling in horror.

blueintegraboy
June 5th, 2010, 08:14 PM

LOL.

Does she have 4 stars on her shoulders yet? ;)

GateroomGuard
June 5th, 2010, 08:15 PM
LOL.

Does she have 4 stars on her shoulders yet? ;)

Yes, and they are real stars so she supernova or blackhole planets at will.

meo3000
June 5th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Its ok, she needs to look experienced, shes a Colonel after all.

General Carter... sounds good no? Maybe by season 5, when O'Neill is a four star.

striker7770
June 5th, 2010, 08:49 PM
i thought the writing for her was horrible, carter under no circumstances, would just say oops too late lets forget the pilots, she's carter. either she lost touch acting or the writers lost touch with her

GateroomGuard
June 5th, 2010, 08:55 PM
i thought the writing for her was horrible, carter under no circumstances, would just say oops too late lets forget the pilots, she's carter. either she lost touch acting or the writers lost touch with her

SG-1 Carter would probably have waited, but then she was only risking her life. Now she has an entire crew to save. Playing hero with your own life is one thing, playing hero with everyone's life is another.

RJLCyberPunk
June 5th, 2010, 08:56 PM
It's the hair color. :D

Yep she doesn't look older at all, is just that she appeared in her black Sanctuary died hair. :D

Avenger
June 5th, 2010, 11:13 PM

sg-1fanintn
June 5th, 2010, 11:54 PM

LOL! Not quite that long! SG-1 premiered in 1997, so that's only 13 years.

I hear it's very hard on hair to go from dark to light, and since AT went dark for Sanctuary, it's difficult to make the transition back to her natural color between seasons. The medium brown, though, is doable.

I love her best as a blond, but I'm just glad to see her appearing in SGU from time to time. I think it's so wonderful that the relationships among the producers and cast are warm enough that they can lure the SG-1 crew back. I think it just adds realism and depth to the tapestry of the franchise to have these characters show up periodically.

Now, if we could just see some of the SGA crew again! I'd love to see Rodney show up on Destiny via those stupid Asgard stones!

But to be on topic...Carter always!

IMForeman
June 5th, 2010, 11:54 PM

Old McKay from The Last Man is saying "Hey, now..."

sg-1fanintn
June 6th, 2010, 12:08 AM

Spoiled for specific episode info:
That scene showed Carter's ability to make the tough decisions. The planet was about to explode, and the ship's scanners showed it. Carter's choice was to lose two pilots or to lose her ship and its entire crew. She clearly didn't relish what she had to do, but she knew she had to do it. In military situations, some losses occur. She didn't have much time to scramble. The planet exploded right after the Hammond hit the hyperspace window.

The scene also set up a contrast of Carter's decision-making abilities against Young's. Young should have vented the atmosphere the minute those thieves arrived in Destiny's gate room...regardless of who was with them. Not doing so lead to the incursion. Don't get me wrong; I like the character of Everett Young. But I think he was totally wrong in this instance.

And I had to wonder...couldn't they have vented atmosphere, then...as soon as the bad guys were dead...retrieved Telford's body and done CPR? It might not have worked, but it would have kept the Lucian Alliance from getting a foothold on Destiny.

Of course, if Young had made that decision, there wouldn't be a part two to the finale. ;)

thekillman
June 6th, 2010, 12:31 AM
the more people under your command the smaller the chances you can save them all. O'neill has so many people under his command that people WILL die. carter has over 200 people on her starship and people WILL die. it was just a question of 4 people or 200+ people. when a member of SG1, saving 3-4 people is easy. but not when you have several hundred to look after in the first place.

also she of all people would know the danger of an exploding planet, hell, if we look at how Icarus exploded, the Hammond would be hit BEFORE the entire planet blows

Of course, if Young had made that decision, there wouldn't be a part two to the finale.

the LA had gasmasks. all they need to do when venting the atmosphere, is to put em on, take the lockpickers and walk to a door and use them. before all air is gone, the doors are open.

PG15
June 6th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Hm. I actually thought Carter looked younger.

Eestlanna
June 6th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Darker haircolour makes people look older, it's just that.

Samantha.Majka
June 6th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Hello, I think that she looks awesome. Even if she is 40 years old .. she still looks great. I would like to look like her when I will be 40 years old. :D
Amanda will be still a Goddess for me .. :D

EllieVee
June 6th, 2010, 01:57 AM

Not all the time.

Chelle DB
June 6th, 2010, 02:09 AM
I disagree. I am a natural blonde but after a few years of debating what to do with my hair I finally went darker...a lot darker and everyone who knows me thinks I look younger. I also think the dark locks on Amanda make her looks more alluring and younger. I guess it's just a matter of opinion or what you're used to. :)

Hello, I think that she looks awesome. Even if she is 40 years old .. she still looks great. I would like to look like her when I will be 40 years old. :D
Amanda will be still a Goddess for me .. :D
Ditto, however, Amanda is actually 44 and about to turn 45 this coming August...I think she looks amazingly fabulous regardless of her "youth" . Like you, I hope I can look as good as her by the time I reach my mid forties too. :)

Mr chuckles
June 6th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Can't believe she is 44 she looks like she is in her 30's. Still hot though.

garhkal
June 6th, 2010, 04:02 AM
the LA had gasmasks. all they need to do when venting the atmosphere, is to put em on, take the lockpickers and walk to a door and use them. before all air is gone, the doors are open.

And how exactly would GAS masks have helped in a vacuum environment?

Can't believe she is 44 she looks like she is in her 30's. Still hot though.

That she is~!

janus4ever
June 6th, 2010, 05:28 AM
she still rocks , she is carter , she is a living legend... happy to see her again...

Samantha.Majka
June 6th, 2010, 06:12 AM
I disagree. I am a natural blonde but after a few years of debating what to do with my hair I finally went darker...a lot darker and everyone who knows me thinks I look younger. I also think the dark locks on Amanda make her looks more alluring and younger. I guess it's just a matter of opinion or what you're used to. :)

Ditto, however, Amanda is actually 44 and about to turn 45 this coming August...I think she looks amazingly fabulous regardless of her "youth" . Like you, I hope I can look as good as her by the time I reach my mid forties too. :)

I agree with you, I am a natural blonde too, and I went lighter then I was. And I have to say that I look older. I know that she is 44 :D

icsteffi
June 6th, 2010, 06:41 AM
by season 47 of sgu

Thanks! Inspired me to re-watch Unending. Scene with Jackson ranting and Vala crying gets me everytime!! Need more tissues! :D

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 6th, 2010, 07:14 AM
It's nice to see Carter again, but dang did she look old(er). Somehow we need Teal'c to come back from Chulak and have an og SG1 reunion.

getting older will do that :D

hedwig
June 6th, 2010, 08:36 AM
She didn't look old! :p

She still looks good in my book. Nice to see her still doing stuff, never thought she'd be a 304 commander though.

But is there a Maj. Marks on every 304 because he sure gets around.

Major Marks wasn't on the recent SGU episode. It was one of the other Majors at the helm of The Hammond this time. :) (Maybe Marks was on vacation. :))

Ed
June 6th, 2010, 09:18 AM
People saying she was out of character clearly didn't watch Atlantis S4 if you watch from children of the gods through to incursion the character development is pretty consistent nothing massively out of character.

blueintegraboy
June 7th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Keep forgetting Carter commanded Atlantis for a season. Now that I think of it, it seems weird.

Def need to watch SGA 1-5 after I watch SG1 1-10

koroush47
June 7th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Wow, the golden years. She sure is golden though. I think she'll stay beautiful and badass up until her late 80s. I really liked seeing her too. But....yeah, I never expected her to be a commander of a starship. She should be inventing super-cool backwards-engineered tech or something. Oh well, I guess Mckay superseded her in that respect. :(

Keep in mind she is enlisted in the Air Force... Not a scientist. So they won't have her doing scientist things.

Burns
June 7th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Keep in mind she is enlisted in the Air Force... Not a scientist. So they won't have her doing scientist things.

After SGA she proved herself to be good in comand it seams to be a step down to command a ship, but she is getting the overal pic. She is being set up to be the best commandor in Earth history!!!

NavyGater
June 7th, 2010, 10:53 PM
SG-1 Carter would probably have waited, but then she was only risking her life. Now she has an entire crew to save. Playing hero with your own life is one thing, playing hero with everyone's life is another.

Very good point and it shows that she has grown as a leader to make a call like that.

Alexandria7
June 7th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Well she has very little makeup on with what seems to be rather harsh lighting. So TPTB made her look not so great. Older people do well with soft lighting. It was just a bad lighting choice. Some might argue that it's not their job to make actors look great. You're right, some need to look bad for their role. This is not one of those circumstances. It's all due to bad lighting. She's beautiful in person.

Alexandria7
June 7th, 2010, 11:17 PM

Well technically, she's not enlisted, she's an officer in the USAF. The term enlisted refers to those below officer ranks specifically. :)

Valorin
June 7th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Is it just me, or did she have a bit of an English accent in the episode?
It kept reminding me of Sanctuary!

Chelle DB
June 8th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Sam is not only an officer in the US Air Force but she's also a doctor in the field of theoretical astrophysics - so she's a soldier as well as a scientist - and that folks is canon. :D And she is required to do both...that is her job. Which makes her so cool...in my eyes anyway! :D And I'm not biased...I just love the character and have done so for years having watched her from SG1 season 1 right thru to now...except the last ep of SGU but I'll see that soon enough. :D :D
I can't wait to see the SGU ep with AT in it...sounds pretty cool. :D