PDA

View Full Version : Magic Door openers.....

Major_Griff
June 5th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I wonder how/where they got them. Did they make them based on intel gathered from Telford? did they find a cache of ancient treasures that for some reason had Destiny lock picks in them? I wonder if they'll explain this or if they'll just not say anything about them again.

General Jumper One
June 5th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Ancient Wal-Mart

MattSilver 3k
June 5th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Ancient Wal-Mar- dammit. Beaten.

I wonder if the LA found an outpost or something with some Destiny details in it, including lock picks or their schematics or something. It'd be interesting if they want Destiny because of something they learnt in this outpost/Ancient Wal-Mart...

HaMm3r
June 5th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I was thinking it might be the lock picks that set off Destiny's intruder defense system, if that's what it was. Although you'd think Telford would have got zapped too, were that the case.

eliteaceman
June 5th, 2010, 05:59 PM
So..... They have these Magic Door Openers.....

They fit in the door perfectly, and override the locks...

How could they possibly of developed them based on what Telford could describe?

There would be no way to test them... or program them without something to work with...

You can reverse engineer technology you never had access too.

Shai Hulud
June 5th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Perhaps the LA have access to things that SGC doesnt?

Major_Griff
June 5th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I made this thread already: http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/75258-The-lock-picks

Utitan
June 5th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Hard to say, but the LA are there to bring something to the table that is yet unknown to us. There is no way Telford could have given enough detail to the LA that would let them blindly engineer such a device. Rush did say in subversion I believe, that it is possible they know more about Destiny than they do. But how? Perhaps the LA have indeed found something that lends it's self to anti Ancient Tech. I'm betting it will be explained one way or another.

pleed
June 5th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Obviously they are old style locks so there could be more recent ancient tech with similar locks in the milky way.

It could also be a really bad unexplained plot hole that the writers didn't think about!.

Avenger
June 5th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I was thinking it might be the lock picks that set off Destiny's intruder defense system, if that's what it was. Although you'd think Telford would have got zapped too, were that the case.

It was pretty clear that whatever turned the LA guy to dust came through the shield from the outside of the ship. And given that the LA had used these devices several times before with no ill effects, I don't think the device had anything to do with what happened to the LA guy.

Nadji
June 5th, 2010, 07:20 PM

I wonder if the LA found an outpost or something with some Destiny details in it, including lock picks or their schematics or something. It'd be interesting if they want Destiny because of something they learnt in this outpost/Ancient Wal-Mart...

I have no doubt in my mind that this is the explanation, and we will eventually hear it out of the mouths of our brand new crew members.

Shan Bruce Lee
June 5th, 2010, 07:24 PM

Impossible. They're spread all over the galaxy. The SGC is centered on just a handful of... Ohh!

Well the SGC found out about Destiny somehow... it makes sense that the LA would have too.

Major_Griff
June 5th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Well the SGC found out about Destiny somehow... it makes sense that the LA would have too.

SGC found the address from the Ancient database in Atlantis, the LA found out from Telford.

Burns
June 5th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I think they found the lock picks on the planet they gate to the ship from. I thought it was another off world base that could get to the ship.

GateroomGuard
June 5th, 2010, 07:57 PM
If those devices were Ancient tech then the Ancients must have really had a serious robbery and hijacking problem what with a 'open every door' device.

Maybe those were the car keys for the Destiny.

dgh64
June 5th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Perhaps the LA found an Ancient base/outpost from the same time period as Destiny that used the same type of doors, and that's how they were able to develop the devices.

Meshakhad
June 5th, 2010, 11:27 PM
They're exactly what they seem to be: Magic Ancient Door Openers. They're basically auto-lockpicks designed to open doors, although they may only work with Ancient technology.

My guess is that they were found in the Milky Way some time ago, and the LA got their hands on them. When they learned about Destiny from Telford, they figured that they would be very useful here, so they sent them to Kiva's base.

kwlafayette
June 5th, 2010, 11:50 PM

That does seem to be the simplest explanation. But I do not like it. They stumbled across something that the was not in the Atlantis database? More likely, something in some goa'uld stockpile somewhere that no one ever figured out what it was until the right person overheard something Telford said.

thekillman
June 6th, 2010, 01:21 AM
the LA probably had them invented specifically for this occasion

Kanten
June 6th, 2010, 03:31 AM
And given that the LA had used these devices several times before with no ill effects, I don't think the device had anything to do with what happened to the LA guy.

Could have had something to do with the guy blowtorching a hole in the ship right before. If Destiny does have some kind of AI running, it wouldn't have been too happy with him.

garhkal
June 6th, 2010, 03:44 AM
But I do not like it. They stumbled across something that the was not in the Atlantis database?

As i said elsewhere. The database is not all knowing. Was there anything on the Asurans, Project Acturus, that other project (the wraith hyperdrive jammer), Jannuss' lab etc?

Phenomenological
June 6th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Ships don't randomly incinerate people because they cut through a wall. It was clearly shown to be some form of radiation coming in through the shield, and there are various theories as to why the shield fluctuated and what the hell the destiny is sitting near that is putting out such an inordinately, indescribably intense load of radiation.

Or the blues are sitting outside and were trying to make a peace offering to Young. Who knows? ;)

AdmlDj
June 6th, 2010, 06:12 AM
ive said this in another thread but here goes again THE LUCIAN ALLIANCE ARE CRIMINALS they probably break into locked places all over our galaxy whos to say they couldnt develop some sort of universal lock pick the fact that it was round is probably a coincidence

J-Whitt Remastered
June 6th, 2010, 06:32 AM

I guess they were sold out at the Ancient Wal-Mart, and they went to Destiny to get it from the source.

kymeric
June 6th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Hmmmm it makes me think the LA controlls whatever planet destiny was launched from and thats why they want it soo bad.

Makenshi
June 6th, 2010, 01:06 PM
uh... they do not control Earth...

Destiny was launched from here, you know...

kwlafayette
June 6th, 2010, 01:33 PM
As i said elsewhere. The database is not all knowing. Was there anything on the Asurans, Project Acturus, that other project (the wraith hyperdrive jammer), Jannuss' lab etc?

Not all knowing, but you would think there would actually be something in there. It appears that nothing important was ever put into the Atlantis database.

Phenomenological
June 6th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Not all knowing, but you would think there would actually be something in there. It appears that nothing important was ever put into the Atlantis database.

WEIR: How do I choose between Zero Point Module research and their work on ascension? Between weapons schematics and their notes on space travel? No matter what we choose here, invaluable information's gonna be lost, and that is just the information that we've deciphered. Now we all know we have barely even begun to scratch the surface. What if we destroy the cure for all disease, or even some piece of information that could lead to the downfall of the Wraith?

Nope, nothing at all. ;)

dgh64
June 6th, 2010, 09:58 PM

Are you sure it was launched from Earth? I think in the pilot Rush said it was launched from "here" but he could've been talking about "somewhere in the Milky Way". The Ancients were doing things on a lot of planets all over the place, and there wasn't anything particularly special about Earth (except that that's where Atlantis was parked for a while, but that was millions of years later).

If it wasn't launched from Earth, here's what I think happened:

You don't go to the middle of nowhere to build a ship. You use a drydock. That drydock would probably have the same level of technology (particularly, door design) as the ship you're building. Its computers would also contain a lot of design information and blueprints about the ship you're building.

After you launch the ship, any number of things can happen over the next million years causing the gate address to be lost. Remember, this was a looooooong time before the Goa'uld arrived on the scene. So, the Goa'uld never found the planet, but somehow the Lucian Alliance did, and they figured out Destiny's mission, its technology, and how its doors worked.

norph
June 6th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Are you sure it was launched from Earth? I think in the pilot Rush said it was launched from "here" but he could've been talking about "somewhere in the Milky Way". The Ancients were doing things on a lot of planets all over the place, and there wasn't anything particularly special about Earth (except that that's where Atlantis was parked for a while, but that was millions of years later).

You don't go to the middle of nowhere to build a ship. You use a drydock. That drydock would probably have the same level of technology (particularly, door design) as the ship you're building. Its computers would also contain a lot of design information and blueprints about the ship you're building.

After you launch the ship, any number of things can happen over the next million years causing the gate address to be lost. Remember, this was a looooooong time before the Goa'uld arrived on the scene. So, the Goa'uld never found the planet, but somehow the Lucian Alliance did, and they figured out Destiny's mission, its technology, and how its doors worked.

I think on one of the Air episodes when they first came on board Destiny, when they accessed the computers, it showed that Destiny departed from Earth as it's starting point. The path it traced was leaving Earth, then our galaxy, then passing through Pegasus and beyond.

Puddle-Jumper
June 7th, 2010, 07:31 AM
ive said this in another thread but here goes again THE LUCIAN ALLIANCE ARE CRIMINALS they probably break into locked places all over our galaxy whos to say they couldnt develop some sort of universal lock pick the fact that it was round is probably a coincidence

Good idea.. makes sense, another thing Ive been saying is that well the door mechanism is round and made of metal and turns when the door opens... so really all they'd need is... a strong magnet.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 7th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Good idea.. makes sense, another thing Ive been saying is that well the door mechanism is round and made of metal and turns when the door opens... so really all they'd need is... a strong magnet.

I think that, as a bunch of thieves and criminals, having something that was all around useful at cracking a door could very well be standard equipment?

dgh64
June 7th, 2010, 07:44 AM

Umm... unless the door is LOCKED.... In RL we have doorknobs that are round and made of metal and turn when the door opens, but I'd like to see you open a locked door with just a magnet.

garhkal
June 8th, 2010, 04:53 AM
WEIR: How do I choose between Zero Point Module research and their work on ascension? Between weapons schematics and their notes on space travel? No matter what we choose here, invaluable information's gonna be lost, and that is just the information that we've deciphered. Now we all know we have barely even begun to scratch the surface. What if we destroy the cure for all disease, or even some piece of information that could lead to the downfall of the Wraith?

Nope, nothing at all. ;)

Yup. We have seen many indications that a LOT of stuff we would have liked to have, were not there. Heck all the manuals for operation and use could be in the ancient database, but we have not found them yet.

kymeric
June 9th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Then wherever it was made or planned from. Cuz all of NASAs missions are thought of, made, built then launched from Kennedy AMIRITE?

Abiron
June 9th, 2010, 10:13 PM
The LA know more about Destiny than...well, anyone else, from the looks of things. They came prepared. Somewhere along the line, they came into possession of knowledge that made them think that destiny was worth taking. I would be willing to bet that they got this intel from a Goa'uld, probably the one who built the pyramid on the planet in Incursion Part One. The Goa'uld were not innovators, they were scavengers of Ancient tech, and the one who built a pyramid on a planet that was capable of dialing Destiny probably did so because of something he learned - or another of his kind, genetic memory and all - that made him think that Destiny was worth scavenging. Perhaps he was someone like Nerus, a Goa'uld scientist, who used his slaves to build a base from which to find Destiny. He set everything up, but - like Rush - was unable to do the math necessary to get there, or to figure out the unique addressing scheme. But he did have knowledge of the ship, and the LA used that to build the lockpicks and other toys we haven't seen yet.

Burns
June 10th, 2010, 12:06 AM

Thank you. Reread earlier posts. Most of this has been said, ....

kwlafayette
June 10th, 2010, 12:50 AM

Why would the doors be the same? A drydock is a facility that would predate the ship, unless you think Destiny and the facility it was built in were constructed in parallel. For all we know, the dry dock could already have been thousands of years old by the time they started building Destiny.

dgh64
June 10th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Ancient Scientist #1: "Hey, I think we should build a ship. The most advanced ship we've built to date. It'll explore the universe for the next hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of years."
Ancient Scientist #2: "You're right. Let's use this thousand year old dock with outdated equipment."
A.S. #1: "Good idea!"

I don't think so...

kwlafayette
June 10th, 2010, 06:01 PM

You are aware, that not all metals are affected by magnetic fields? An aluminium or titanium lock mechanism would be completely unaffected by even the strongest of magnetic fields.

kwlafayette
June 10th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Ancient Scientist #1: "Hey, I think we should build a ship. The most advanced ship we've built to date. It'll explore the universe for the next hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of years."
Ancient Scientist #2: "You're right. Let's use this thousand year old dock with outdated equipment."
A.S. #1: "Good idea!"

I don't think so...

Yeah, I agree, you didn't think too hard. Does Ford build a new factory for each new car?

Oasis of the seas took six years to build. The Turku shipyards, where it was built, have been around for nearly 300 years. Yes, they have upgraded and expanded over time, changed owners, all that. But to think that someone just up and builds a giant shipyard, and only one giant ship at that ship yard, and they build them both all at once, that is just ludicrous.

dgh64
June 10th, 2010, 09:55 PM
You are aware, that not all metals are affected by magnetic fields? An aluminium or titanium lock mechanism would be completely unaffected by even the strongest of magnetic fields.

The way the devices unfolded the star-shaped leaf things and lit up leads me to believe they're much more complicated than just magnets. They probably have some sort of electronic thing that overrides the door's controls.

Re the factory, yes of course they don't build a new factory for each new car, but if someone invented a better microchip that runs faster and is smaller and uses less energy, they'd probably install it in the cars AND in the factory robots that build them, at least within a few years of each other. That's just one example.

Even if the drydock facility had completely outdated tech when Destiny was built, its computers would still have all Destiny's blueprints and specs. They didn't build ships by making it up as they went along. So, even if the drydock's doors are completely different, the LA would still be able to get enough information from the computers to build a door-opening device.

Puddle-Jumper
June 20th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Umm... unless the door is LOCKED.... In RL we have doorknobs that are round and made of metal and turn when the door opens, but I'd like to see you open a locked door with just a magnet.

Well a strong magnet, combined with some electronic turning giggity would work nicely actually, even on a locked door.

Ya I know, but we don't know what the destiny is contructed from... it's more then likely some uber advanced alloy, while I doubt they'd make the hull itself out of something magnetic, having magnetic seals on doors and such isn't such a bad idea.

Or maybe someone aboard the ship may have done maintenance on a door, filed a report on it back at SGC which Telford then gave to the LA.

Or the LA as professional criminals have space aged lock picks..

There are plenty of reasonable explanations.. they're hardly magic door openers..