PDA

View Full Version : Why destroy icarus type planet? when it couldve be used to help them????

Duneknight
June 5th, 2010, 02:21 PM
seriously, after LA left SGC couldve taken it to send back up or something.

Ragitsu
June 5th, 2010, 02:26 PM
The explosion was imminent. Not much they could do in a minute's (if that) time.

pool_man21
June 5th, 2010, 02:26 PM
They didn't destroy it. The core of the planet overheated after dialing to the Destiny.

Duneknight
June 5th, 2010, 02:28 PM
why was the explosion was imminent? is it because they attacked them with f-302s??? well they shouldve been careful.

Ragitsu
June 5th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Actually, Rush (basically) mentioned the planet would explode if they dialed "now". And, they did dial "now".

Major_Griff
June 5th, 2010, 02:30 PM
The planet exploded because of the core being tied directly into the gate. The power was just too much. It was also implied that Rush may have intentionally messed up his calculations to funnel too much power causing the explosion. Of course that implication is made by Kiva so who knows how reliable that is.

Specter177
June 5th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Rush wasn't done fine tuning the calculations, and as a result too much power was used, causing the planet to blow up. For the first one, the ships were firing at the planet, same result. Maybe if they find another, everything will go perfectly, and the planet won't explode.

ONeill4tW
June 5th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Rush wasn't done fine tuning the calculations, and as a result too much power was used, causing the planet to blow up. For the first one, the ships were firing at the planet, same result. Maybe if they find another, everything will go perfectly, and the planet won't explode.

Third time is the charm, eh? Lol

JustAnotherVoice
June 5th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Third time is the charm, eh? Lol

In both instances, they dialled the gate prematurely. If Rush actually has the chance to work, maybe he can pull off a small miracle.

danmcken
June 5th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Whats the bets the third time they get a chance Rush will be urgently needed on the destiny at the same time. Rock and a hard place situation

DigiFluid
June 5th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I already watched Atlantis once, not interested in doing so again. Please keep Destiny isolated.

Duneknight
June 5th, 2010, 03:18 PM
the irony of sgc doing to LA what LA did to sgc is bewildering

Major_Griff
June 5th, 2010, 03:19 PM
the irony of sgc doing to LA what LA did to sgc is bewildering

I thought the parallel was a nice touch.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 5th, 2010, 03:26 PM
why was the explosion was imminent? is it because they attacked them with f-302s??? well they shouldve been careful.

the planet exploded for the same reason the Icarus planet exploded. To reach Destiny takes a huge amount of power, and that power is tied right into the planet. Once you dial, that's it. I don't think the SGC could have done a thing to stop it once it had begun

Duneknight
June 5th, 2010, 03:27 PM

i thought it was forced. F-302s did nothing at all.

Stormtrooper
June 5th, 2010, 03:51 PM
the planet exploded for the same reason the Icarus planet exploded. To reach Destiny takes a huge amount of power, and that power is tied right into the planet. Once you dial, that's it. I don't think the SGC could have done a thing to stop it once it had begun

I think both attacks (by the Lucian Alliance and the Hammond) played a fundamental role in those explosions. Either by directly destabilizing the naquadria cores, or by provoking early dial outs.

Duneknight
June 5th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I think both attacks (by the Lucian Alliance and the Hammond) played a fundamental role in those explosions. Either by directly destabilizing the naquadria cores, or by provoking early dial outs.

lets not forget that sam carter is responsible for both of these accidents.

JustAnotherVoice
June 5th, 2010, 03:59 PM
lets not forget that sam carter is responsible for both of these accidents.

How exactly? She was in the neighbourhood and her sheer awesomeness did the trick?

pipi
June 5th, 2010, 04:08 PM
How exactly? She was in the neighbourhood and her sheer awesomeness did the trick?

Her presence caused both planets to blow too early. :P

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 5th, 2010, 04:10 PM

wrote, and had to erase my response...sigh...PG board...

Duneknight
June 5th, 2010, 04:10 PM

lol dont know what else to say

jelgate
June 5th, 2010, 04:11 PM

I think Icarus would have blown up anyway even if she wasn't there in Air. The Lucian Alliance still would have been firing at the base

Duneknight
June 5th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I think Icarus would have blown up anyway even if she wasn't there in Air. The Lucian Alliance still would have been firing at the base

damn your seriousness!

Stormtrooper
June 5th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Attention Lucian Alliance. This is Colonel Carter of the Earth vessel Hammond. We are aware you are trying to dial the Ancient vessel Destiny. Therefore, the appropriate measures have already been taken by our forces currently on board that ship. Surrender or be destroyed.

Duneknight
June 5th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Attention Lucian Alliance. This is Colonel Carter of the Earth vessel Hammond. We are aware you are trying to dial the Ancient vessel Destiny. Therefore, the appropriate measures were already taken by our forces currently on board that ship. Surrender or be destroyed.

i dont know what youre saying but those star wars car wash pics are distracting thank you very much

Major_Griff
June 5th, 2010, 04:28 PM

lolz

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
June 5th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Hey the Lucian alliance blew up one of our bases. And now it's payback time.

GateroomGuard
June 5th, 2010, 04:40 PM
When you send Carter or McKay to a planet that is in danger of blowing up what do you expect?

RJLCyberPunk
June 5th, 2010, 04:46 PM

True Kiva just rushed into things and then blamed Rush for all those of her people that died but I think given her character that it was for all for show to benefit her stature and ranking among her people. She is very conniving, devious and is always scheming ahead.

She might not be a Goa'uld but she does all their attributes and more that is for certain. The only thing missing is the god complex.

Pharaoh Atem
June 5th, 2010, 05:00 PM

the first planet blew cause of the attack and dialing the gate. the second planet blew up due to dialing also. if rush had the time he could have made it safe but with earth attacking the LA dialed the gate and the core went critical.

plus it would ruin the series if the destiny had a supply line.

Phenom
June 5th, 2010, 07:58 PM

Do you honestly believe they half a dozen 302s deliberately blew up the entire planet? Did you actually watch the ep? I thought it was as obvious as the nose on my face that the planet blew up due to the power requirements. I guess some need things really spelt out for them.

meo3000
June 5th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Naquadria is the new nitroglycerin.

GateroomGuard
June 5th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Naquadria is the new nitroglycerin.

Yeah I don't get how these planets still exist. I mean wouldn't the slightest earthquake, volcano, or any natural disaster set them off?

I bet there is a serious no smoking rule on those planets.

kwlafayette
June 5th, 2010, 08:58 PM
It just makes sense that any planet with that highly unstable element naquadria, is going to lay there for millions of years not blowing up. Then as soon as anyone tries to do anything with it, the core goes critical and blows up. That is apparently, just the way it works.

The only known naquadria planet that did not blow up, is that one where the Daniel Jackson replacement came from.

GateroomGuard
June 5th, 2010, 09:00 PM
It just makes sense that any planet with that highly unstable element naquadria, is going to lay there for millions of years not blowing up. Then as soon as anyone tries to do anything with it, the core goes critical and blows up. That is apparently, just the way it works.

The only known naquadria planet that did not blow up, is that one where the Daniel Jackson replacement came from.

I bet McKay and Carter are forbidden to ever come near that planet now with their track record and Earth having naquadria planets blow up left and right.

kwlafayette
June 5th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I bet McKay and Carter are forbidden to ever come near that planet now with their track record and Earth having naquadria planets blow up left and right.

With three naquadria planets already discovered in just the one galaxy, you kind of get the idea that they are going to find one or two each season, have some one or some group go to Destiny, then blow up the planet.

dgh64
June 5th, 2010, 10:49 PM
plus it would ruin the series if the destiny had a supply line.

Not necessarily. It'd only be a one-way thing. They can send food, medicine, ammunition, etc. to the ship, but they still can't bring the people home. And not many people would volunteer to go across the universe to a ship that's falling apart if there's very little chance of going home again, so we're not likely to see people stepping through the gate. And maybe Rush could technobabble us an explanation for why it can only be used once every couple of months, because you have to let the planet's core cool down or something (to prevent another blowup). Then we might still have lack-of-resource-driven plots, if something happens to our supplies and we have a long wait for more (although personally I've had my fill with Air, Darkness/Light, and Water).

Avenger
June 5th, 2010, 11:07 PM
i thought it was forced. F-302s did nothing at all.

The 302s had nothing to do with what happened to the planet.

IMForeman
June 5th, 2010, 11:38 PM
If the SGC finds another Icarus like planet, they seriously need to find a way to power the gate safely before dialing Destiny again.

kwlafayette
June 5th, 2010, 11:46 PM
If the SGC finds another Icarus like planet, they seriously need to find a way to power the gate safely before dialing Destiny again.

Obviously they are not that rare, so they probably will. But my guess is, something will happen to blow it up.

GateroomGuard
June 5th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Obviously they are not that rare, so they probably will. But my guess is, something will happen to blow it up.

I can see how that will go...

SG Team Commander- I can't believe our luck team, an Icarus type planet safely inside Jaffa controlled territory. The Lucian Alliance will never be able to get near this place.
SG Team Member- This calls for a victory smoke! (lights match)
SG Team Commander- JOHNSON! NOOOOOO!
Planet explodes.

IMForeman
June 6th, 2010, 12:01 AM

Two in the Milky Way so far isn't rare? That's two planets out of the probably billions of planets in the Milky Way.

thekillman
June 6th, 2010, 01:20 AM
oh yes the irony.

episode 2 : Earth tries to unlock the chevron, LA attack, they dial out and the planet explodes, they get thrown through the gate.

Episode 19: LA tries to unlock the chevron, Earth attacks, LA dials out and the planet explodes, they get thrown through the gate.

also from an episodic POV, it's the perfect peripeteia

garhkal
June 6th, 2010, 03:42 AM

That would be funny.

Carter; "What do you mean i can't go there"
Oneill; "Well, they found that there are large Naquadria deposits.. seeing as how you are now 2 for 2, we did not want to risk the third one blowing up"

peripeteia

EH>??

thekillman
June 6th, 2010, 03:49 AM
the Peripeteia is the turn of events. not just a mere plot twist, but often a bigger twist:

-from earth dialling to LA dialling
-from LA attacking to Earth attacking
-second episode to penultimate episode
-earth getting onboard to LA getting aboard.

Kanten
June 6th, 2010, 03:57 AM

And I bet that Daniel doesn't want to be near another chunk of Naquadria, much less a planet full of the stuff.

I wonder what kind of looks they'd get if they tried to jury rig the Langara stargate.

EllieVee
June 6th, 2010, 05:38 AM
oh yes the irony.

episode 2 : Earth tries to unlock the chevron, LA attack, they dial out and the planet explodes, they get thrown through the gate.

Episode 19: LA tries to unlock the chevron, Earth attacks, LA dials out and the planet explodes, they get thrown through the gate.

also from an episodic POV, it's the perfect peripeteia

They walk into the gate and get thrown out the other end. Now, why might that be? Two for two on that.

pipi
June 6th, 2010, 05:42 AM
i dont know what youre saying but those star wars car wash pics are distracting thank you very much

Hottie in white is Sara Jean Underwood. Playboy playmate 2007. *super drool* Google Images has some nice pics of her if you want more ;)

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 6th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I can see how that will go...

SG Team Commander- I can't believe our luck team, an Icarus type planet safely inside Jaffa controlled territory. The Lucian Alliance will never be able to get near this place.
SG Team Member- This calls for a victory smoke! (lights match)
SG Team Commander- JOHNSON! NOOOOOO!
Planet explodes.

Green for that, LOL!

kymeric
June 6th, 2010, 12:24 PM
It was blow up to avoid the Daedalous-Atlantis effect. If it takes destroying an extremely rare world to get to Destiny its gonna be almost impossible to do. That planet could powered a thousand earth ships and weapons with all that Naquadria. Believe me Earth would never waste it just to send supplies to Destiny. The LA were willing to do it to get there tho....

tricky
June 6th, 2010, 05:23 PM

Even had Kiva saying "get as many of our people through the gate as possible", pretty much what Young said.

GateroomGuard
June 6th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Even had Kiva saying "get as many of our people through the gate as possible", pretty much what Young said.

In the words of an old Romulan Commander "You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

I'll call it first alternate reality Young/Kiva

Buck32
June 6th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I'm glad it blew up, it would be way too convenient having another planet in the milky way that could dial in to destiny. I may be too big a Voyager fan but i believe in leaving a crew stranded until the end, if that's how you're going to set up such a show. That's why i'm not a great fan of the communication stones either. Just too convenient a plot device.

GateroomGuard
June 6th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I'm glad it blew up, it would be way too convenient having another planet in the milky way that could dial in to destiny. I may be too big a Voyager fan but i believe in leaving a crew stranded until the end, if that's how you're going to set up such a show. That's why i'm not a great fan of the communication stones either. Just too convenient a plot device.

But unless they plan on the ship being invaded every season by a sizeable force their sort of doomed to only 3 seasons since they don't have enough ammo or supplies to continue.

At some point their going to have to either get infinite ammo energy weapons or get a supply line to Earth running if they want SGU to keep going without resorting to "Were about to be boarded again! You know what that means! New guns!"

Avenger
June 6th, 2010, 07:08 PM
They could find some means to start making their own bullets, making some form of propellant and reusing their casings to help stretch out the ammo supply

GateroomGuard
June 6th, 2010, 07:10 PM
They could find some means to start making their own bullets, making some form of propellant and reusing their casings to help stretch out the ammo supply

Well MacGyver is their commander...

dgh64
June 6th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I was thinking the same thing during the attack. "Oh, good. The Lucian Alliance has thoughtfully brought us a bunch more guns and ammo."

I'm pretty sure we haven't seen any handheld Blue Alien weapons, but based on their level of tech I'd bet they're energy-based. Also, maybe while exploring other parts of the ship they'll find the armory with some Ancient weapons.

Avenger
June 6th, 2010, 10:50 PM
They've certainly set things up for Eli to find something important given that he's in a part of the ship where no one has been yet.

pipi
June 7th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I just wished the Lucian Alliance brought more supplies. Even something with 4 wheels would be a smart idea.

Major_Griff
June 7th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I just wished the Lucian Alliance brought more supplies. Even something with 4 wheels would be a smart idea.

Something like this, perhaps?

http://www.hungh.com/upload/SkullBot/picard_dune_buggy.jpg

jelgate
June 7th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Something like this, perhaps?

[IMG]http://www.hungh.com/upload/SkullBot/picard_dune_buggy.jpg[/IG]

I thought we all agreed that movie never happened

Major_Griff
June 7th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I thought we all agreed that movie never happened

What movie?

Skydiver
June 7th, 2010, 07:16 PM
for the same reason that anyone that visited Gilligan's Island either got lost, or couldn't remember the way back or kept the castaways a secret....cause the show woulda ended pretty quickly if someone left the island and sent back help :)

Gollumpus
June 7th, 2010, 07:23 PM

I suspect that the difference between the two is that Young wanted as many "people" to get through to give them a chance at survival. Kiva wanted "assets" to make it through to give her a better military advantage.

regards,
G.

Gollumpus
June 7th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Gilligan's Island

Kind of freaky, but the them song of Gilligan's Island could be applied to SGU...

regards,
G.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 7th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Kind of freaky, but the them song of Gilligan's Island could be applied to SGU...

regards,
G.

:lol: just try getting that out of your head now! And why do I picture Young taking his hat off and swatting Rush on the back of the head with it: "This is another fine mess you've gotten us into, little buddy!"

Avenger
June 7th, 2010, 07:59 PM

They didn't have time given that they were forced to dial far sooner than they wanted to because of the attack by the Hammond.

garhkal
June 8th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Yup. Though i would have at least thought some of the later show-ups would have grabbed a few bags worth of supplies.

YutheGreat
June 8th, 2010, 05:57 AM
The think the planet blew up because they dialled Destiny. It is exactly what Rush warned Kiva about before they dialled in. In the Premier the LA didn't hit the planet with bombardment did they? The planet blew up after dialing the Destiny.

dgh64
June 8th, 2010, 07:16 AM
In Air it was the combination of dialing the gate and LA bombardment of the planet that made it explode. I remember Carter saying something like "The weapons fire is destabalizing the planet's core." In Incursion, it was the fact that they were in a hurry (because Hammond showed up) and Kiva didn't give Rush enough time to do his math.

Nadji
June 9th, 2010, 01:44 AM
If Earth or the LA found another Icarus type, surely the writers could not blow it up again, it would be borderline silly. I'm thinking if we come across another one (hopefully...season 4? :p) that it will most likely be a supply line.