2 lost F-302's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 lost F-302's?

Carter mentioned that two F-302's didn't make it back in time before they had to go to hyperspace. So I was wondering... why couldn't they just beam the 302's into the hangar?

1. We know the tech can handle the size and weight, because in an episode of SG-1 when Baal was trying to blow up a naquadah building, they beamed the whole skyscraper into space before it could explode.

2. The fighters couldn't have been inside the Lucian Alliance's anti-beaming field, because that was just the inside of the pyramid that was shielded, and the fighters would've been heading back to orbit as fast as they could.

3. We know beaming tech can cancel the relative velocity between starting point and destination. All the time they've beamed people off of planets (that were spinning) onto ships (that were orbiting, and sometimes flying around fighting) and the people didn't instantly slam into the wall at a thousand miles an hour right after being beamed aboard. So the fact that the fighters were moving rapidly doesn't matter.

It seems to me like they just stuck it in there to give O'neill an analogy he could use when talking to Young later on...

Originally posted by dgh64 View Post
    It seems to me like they just stuck it in there to give O'neill an analogy he could use when talking to Young later on...
    That's exactly why it was in there.

Perfecto!

Comment

I agree with the Major..... they could have beamed them in.... but then they'd not have anything to kick Young up the butt with later on....

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

With the engines running? Great idea

Comment

So get on the radio and tell the pilots to shut off their engines... or at least beam the pilot out of the cockpit, you still lose a plane but at least you save a person's life... or if you can't beam them to the hangar then beam them into empty space a million miles away where the exploding planet won't kill them and you can come back later and pick them up... there are several options, really.

Comment

Carter mentioned that two F-302's didn't make it back in time before they had to go to hyperspace. So I was wondering... why couldn't they just beam the 302's into the hangar?

1. We know the tech can handle the size and weight, because in an episode of SG-1 when Baal was trying to blow up a naquadah building, they beamed the whole skyscraper into space before it could explode.

2. The fighters couldn't have been inside the Lucian Alliance's anti-beaming field, because that was just the inside of the pyramid that was shielded, and the fighters would've been heading back to orbit as fast as they could.

3. We know beaming tech can cancel the relative velocity between starting point and destination. All the time they've beamed people off of planets (that were spinning) onto ships (that were orbiting, and sometimes flying around fighting) and the people didn't instantly slam into the wall at a thousand miles an hour right after being beamed aboard. So the fact that the fighters were moving rapidly doesn't matter.

I think you are completely right they could and should have done so.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
              With the engines running? Great idea
              Good point.

They could have at least beamed out the pilots.

Comment

Carter said they weren't far enough away from the 'dampning/jamming' field.

Comment

Is it possible that the 302's themselves are protected from beaming technology preventing the craft or pilot being beamed while it is in flight?

Comment

Also, don't 302's have hyperdrives of their own? Or did they remove them?
                    sigpic
                    Doci of the BAG

Comment

I just re-watched the scene. All I saw was:

SOME GUY AT CONSOLE: "Colonel, we still have two 302's on their way back from the planet."

CARTER: "We can't wait. Get us out of here."

Then later when she was talking to O'neill:

O'NEILL: "What about casualties?"

CARTER: "Two of my 302's didn't make it back...[some other stuff unrelated to the fighters]"

She never said anything about the fighters still being in the jamming field.

Comment

Those don't work so well if I remember correctly...

Comment

Originally posted by GateroomGuard View Post
                          Also, don't 302's have hyperdrives of their own? Or did they remove them?
                          The only reason they could make the hyperdrive small enough for a fighter was because of naquadria. As far as we know they abandoned naquadria as a power source due to the instability.

Perfecto!

Comment

As I recall the area were the LA was had some sort of anti beaming technology protection field. It is the reason they sent in the F-302s in the first place. When all went to hell (boy does that happen often in the SG franchise or what?) she ordered all F302 crews within range and outside the anti beaming field transported. 2 of the fighters were not able to clear the field in time before the General Hammond had to leave in a hury or risk being blown to bits as the planet inevitably blows up.
                            The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

That's exactly it- the pilots died for storytelling purposes, not because of practicality.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Working...
                              X