PDA

View Full Version : 2 lost F-302's?

dgh64
June 5th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Carter mentioned that two F-302's didn't make it back in time before they had to go to hyperspace. So I was wondering... why couldn't they just beam the 302's into the hangar?

1. We know the tech can handle the size and weight, because in an episode of SG-1 when Baal was trying to blow up a naquadah building, they beamed the whole skyscraper into space before it could explode.

2. The fighters couldn't have been inside the Lucian Alliance's anti-beaming field, because that was just the inside of the pyramid that was shielded, and the fighters would've been heading back to orbit as fast as they could.

3. We know beaming tech can cancel the relative velocity between starting point and destination. All the time they've beamed people off of planets (that were spinning) onto ships (that were orbiting, and sometimes flying around fighting) and the people didn't instantly slam into the wall at a thousand miles an hour right after being beamed aboard. So the fact that the fighters were moving rapidly doesn't matter.

It seems to me like they just stuck it in there to give O'neill an analogy he could use when talking to Young later on...

Major_Griff
June 5th, 2010, 12:28 PM
It seems to me like they just stuck it in there to give O'neill an analogy he could use when talking to Young later on...

That's exactly why it was in there.

Dr Lee
June 5th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I agree with the Major..... they could have beamed them in.... but then they'd not have anything to kick Young up the butt with later on....

KEK
June 5th, 2010, 12:40 PM
With the engines running? Great idea :lol:

dgh64
June 5th, 2010, 12:45 PM
So get on the radio and tell the pilots to shut off their engines... or at least beam the pilot out of the cockpit, you still lose a plane but at least you save a person's life... or if you can't beam them to the hangar then beam them into empty space a million miles away where the exploding planet won't kill them and you can come back later and pick them up... there are several options, really.

Blackhole
June 5th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Carter mentioned that two F-302's didn't make it back in time before they had to go to hyperspace. So I was wondering... why couldn't they just beam the 302's into the hangar?

1. We know the tech can handle the size and weight, because in an episode of SG-1 when Baal was trying to blow up a naquadah building, they beamed the whole skyscraper into space before it could explode.

2. The fighters couldn't have been inside the Lucian Alliance's anti-beaming field, because that was just the inside of the pyramid that was shielded, and the fighters would've been heading back to orbit as fast as they could.

3. We know beaming tech can cancel the relative velocity between starting point and destination. All the time they've beamed people off of planets (that were spinning) onto ships (that were orbiting, and sometimes flying around fighting) and the people didn't instantly slam into the wall at a thousand miles an hour right after being beamed aboard. So the fact that the fighters were moving rapidly doesn't matter.

I think you are completely right they could and should have done so.

Starsaber
June 5th, 2010, 01:24 PM

Good point. :mckayanime18:

They could have at least beamed out the pilots.

somme
June 5th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Carter said they weren't far enough away from the 'dampning/jamming' field.

blackluster
June 5th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Is it possible that the 302's themselves are protected from beaming technology preventing the craft or pilot being beamed while it is in flight?

GateroomGuard
June 5th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Also, don't 302's have hyperdrives of their own? Or did they remove them?

dgh64
June 5th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I just re-watched the scene. All I saw was:

SOME GUY AT CONSOLE: "Colonel, we still have two 302's on their way back from the planet."

CARTER: "We can't wait. Get us out of here."

Then later when she was talking to O'neill:

O'NEILL: "What about casualties?"

CARTER: "Two of my 302's didn't make it back...[some other stuff unrelated to the fighters]"

She never said anything about the fighters still being in the jamming field.

blackluster
June 5th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Those don't work so well if I remember correctly...

Major_Griff
June 5th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Also, don't 302's have hyperdrives of their own? Or did they remove them?

The only reason they could make the hyperdrive small enough for a fighter was because of naquadria. As far as we know they abandoned naquadria as a power source due to the instability.

RJLCyberPunk
June 5th, 2010, 01:53 PM
As I recall the area were the LA was had some sort of anti beaming technology protection field. It is the reason they sent in the F-302s in the first place. When all went to hell (boy does that happen often in the SG franchise or what?) she ordered all F302 crews within range and outside the anti beaming field transported. 2 of the fighters were not able to clear the field in time before the General Hammond had to leave in a hury or risk being blown to bits as the planet inevitably blows up.

AVFan
June 5th, 2010, 02:06 PM

That's exactly it- the pilots died for storytelling purposes, not because of practicality.

reddevil18
June 5th, 2010, 02:16 PM
If only they had Chekov, Pavel Andreyevich on board. He would have been running through the corridors, screaming "I can do this!", then he'd beam them right up.

GateroomGuard
June 5th, 2010, 02:30 PM
If only they had Chekov, Pavel Andreyevich on board. He would have been running through the corridors, screaming "I can do this!", then he'd beam them right up.

Only if one of the pilots wasn't Winona Ryder.

RJLCyberPunk
June 5th, 2010, 04:50 PM
only if one of the pilots wasn't winona ryder.

:D lmao! :D

Pharaoh Atem
June 5th, 2010, 04:53 PM
it's only 2 people the SGC has plenty more

GateroomGuard
June 5th, 2010, 04:54 PM
it's only 2 people the SGC has plenty more

But 302's have two people in them so wouldn't that be 4?

Pharaoh Atem
June 5th, 2010, 04:58 PM

good point. still no biggie.

GateroomGuard
June 5th, 2010, 05:00 PM
good point. still no biggie.

Also we don't know who was flying them. Mitchell or Sheppard might have been flying, Carter would know they would be able to plot device their way to safety.

Starsaber
June 5th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Also we don't know who was flying them. Mitchell or Sheppard might have been flying, Carter would know they would be able to plot device their way to safety.

Tried giving you green for this, but it said I had to spread some more around first. Of course with the way the movies have stalled, maybe they didn't plot device away. :(

But if Sheppard was there, they should have used a puddle jumper to land troops.

meo3000
June 5th, 2010, 07:19 PM
This is the new Stargate reality, people die, especially good guys.

The question is, why are they still using F-302s ? Couldnt they make a brand new fighter, F-303 perhaps, using puddle jumper technologies?

GateroomGuard
June 5th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Tried giving you green for this, but it said I had to spread some more around first. Of course with the way the movies have stalled, maybe they didn't plot device away. :(

But if Sheppard was there, they should have used a puddle jumper to land troops.

It's the thought that counts, thanks.

But really Samantha "wait till the very last milisecond" Carter leaving 4 people behind? There had to be some plot device powered pilots in there. Or those pilots kept singing 'Jack and Sam sitting in a tree' one to many times.

Or another thought that will never be true. What if said pilots made their way into the pyramid, got some LA uniforms and got through the gate?

Burns
June 5th, 2010, 08:05 PM

The question is, why are they still using F-302s ? Couldnt they make a brand new fighter, F-303 perhaps, using puddle jumper technologies?

The part I think is so true. The second part not so much 302s are still the top fighter in the MW there would be no real reason to bring out the next and great ver till a) they built up the fleet and/or b) a new threat came up. I'm not saying they don't have one in the works but to put the new ones up in a fight, don't think it would happen.

Major_Griff
June 5th, 2010, 08:06 PM
If it ain't broke don't reinvent the wheel, or something like that.

Pharaoh Atem
June 5th, 2010, 08:06 PM

303 already been used. and that would be cool.

GateroomGuard
June 5th, 2010, 08:13 PM

Well the Prometheus was a 303, the Daedalus class is our 304s so a new fighter would be a 305. But people are still using the F-15 and look how old it is, it'll be a while before we need a new fighter.

Vn70072
June 5th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Or another thought that will never be true. What if said pilots made their way into the pyramid, got some LA uniforms and got through the gate?

Highly intriguing thought. I suppose however that it's unlikely that if there wasn't enough time for them to clear the jamming field and/or get back to orbit, that there would have been time for such an elaborate (if quite clever) escape.

As for the presence of the hyperdrive on a 302, it hasn't been seen in use since it was used in a short jump during season seven of SG-1 as I recall. Whether the current models have it hasn't been confirmed.

lordofseas
June 5th, 2010, 08:19 PM

It wouldn't be 303.

meo3000
June 5th, 2010, 08:22 PM
F-305 then, happy?

Sim
June 5th, 2010, 08:44 PM
In an episode of SGA they had to beam Sheppard onto the bridge while the engines of a 302 were still going.

It was the episode with the Wrath virus.

So they could've saved the lives of those pilots but writing inconsistency has claimed those lives.

GateroomGuard
June 5th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Highly intriguing thought. I suppose however that it's unlikely that if there wasn't enough time for them to clear the jamming field and/or get back to orbit, that there would have been time for such an elaborate (if quite clever) escape.

Well changing uniforms wouldn't be difficult, as we saw in episode 200 all SGC personel are capable of changing uniforms in less than 3 seconds.

dgh64
June 5th, 2010, 10:18 PM
The 302 hyperdrive never really worked well because the only way to power something that small was with naquadria, and the instability meant you couldn't predict with any accuracy where you'd end up. Probably they removed the hyperdrive and put in more fuel or weapons or something.

I'm 100% sure the fighters weren't inside the jamming field. Remember, Carter also mentioned sending in ground forces, and then said to pull them back so we can beam them up. So, the field must be small enough that a person with full combat gear (body armor, gun, etc) could beam down just outside, fight his way toward (and possibly a short way into) the pyramid, and then run back out again when the recall order comes down, all within a few minutes. If the field is small enough for that to happen, then an F-302, which flies multiple times the speed of sound, could cross the diameter of the field in a couple of seconds.

LordHart
June 5th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Were they main characters? No.

Remember their saying: No one gets left behind...

...unless they aren't a main character or guest star.

meo3000
June 5th, 2010, 10:52 PM
In SG1 or SGA, they wouldve saved them, without a doubt. But SGU has to feel "real".

dgh64
June 5th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I wonder if they were wearing red shirts...

I also wonder how the writers decided on the number 2. 1 person dying doesn't evoke enough emotion? Is 3 too many? I sincerely hope they didn't decide by rolling dice.

kwlafayette
June 5th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Well, I would definitely make sure that the pilots could not be beamed out when I was designing the things. So it makes sense that they could not recover them that way. Also, you would not want an enemy craft to just be able to beam the whole thing away at will. I thought the 302 also had hyperdrive though? Why didn't they just get way on their own and meet at some rally point?

GateroomGuard
June 6th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Also did O'Neill tell Young that Carter lost 2 pilots or 2 302's

Kanten
June 6th, 2010, 12:08 AM
In SG1 or SGA, they wouldve saved them, without a doubt. But SGU has to feel "real".

They didn't get everyone off Prometheus either.

Sim
June 6th, 2010, 01:13 AM
They would have gotten everyone else off..

But Colonel Lionel Pendergast (salute) went down with the ship.

That is a completely different situation however. The 303's weren't under fire and neither was the Hammond (I think that is what Sam commands) it was just matter of beaming them off of the 303 and into a random place on the ship. There was no super Ori beam weapon firing on the Hammond.

garhkal
June 6th, 2010, 03:37 AM

Since when have they had 2 people in?

While they could, it would not be a 303. as that was the Prometheus.

Kanten
June 6th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Since when have they had 2 people in?

Since always.

http://www.chevron26.com/enews/wp-images/sg1_banks.jpg

Phenomenological
June 6th, 2010, 05:03 AM
We know there's no jamming technology in 302's because they've beamed someone out of one before. With the asgard sensors down only using triangulation of the position of his locator beacon, if I recall. So beaming people out evidently isn't too much of a problem.

Also, anything that was beamed would arrive (Relatively) stationary regardless of its initial velocity. Unless of course your teleport beam can magically accelerate something to several times the speed of sound in a fraction of a second while generating an inertial dampening field powerful enough to nullify such enormous acceleration. And since every light on the ship doesn't dim every time they use the transporters, I don't think they do that. ;)

icsteffi
June 6th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Well changing uniforms wouldn't be difficult, as we saw in episode 200 all SGC personel are capable of changing uniforms in less than 3 seconds.

Hahaha....um the LA uniforms are like skintight leather. They may need a couple of hours for a change. :)

icsteffi
June 6th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Also did O'Neill tell Young that Carter lost 2 pilots or 2 302's

O'Neill: "We lost two 302 Pilots...sent to stop the attack. Col. Carter knew she'd lose her ship if she tried to save them, but it was the right decision."

dgh64
June 6th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Well, I would definitely make sure that the pilots could not be beamed out when I was designing the things. So it makes sense that they could not recover them that way. Also, you would not want an enemy craft to just be able to beam the whole thing away at will. I thought the 302 also had hyperdrive though? Why didn't they just get way on their own and meet at some rally point?

1. If the 302's did have anti-beaming tech, then it's a simple matter of telling the pilot to turn it off so we can save him.

2. As mentioned a couple times before, the naquadria-powered 302 hyperdrive never worked well. It did take you through hyperspace, but the naquadria's instability meant you couldn't predict accurately where you'd end up. My guess is they removed the drive and put in more jet fuel/weapons/life support.

Starsaber
June 6th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I wonder if they were wearing red shirts...

I also wonder how the writers decided on the number 2. 1 person dying doesn't evoke enough emotion? Is 3 too many? I sincerely hope they didn't decide by rolling dice.

Probably because Young thought that venting the gateroom would kill 2 of his people (Telford and Rush), so they wanted the same number of people to really hit us over the head with it.

escyos
June 6th, 2010, 07:30 AM
maybe the radioactive core was interferring with beaming when the core became critical

Ed
June 6th, 2010, 09:31 AM
actually didn't it take some time for the ship to lock on Shepard in "intruder"

Badhron
June 6th, 2010, 10:24 AM
actually didn't it take some time for the ship to lock on Shepard in "intruder"

That was because they were locking on to his radio signal.

Sami_
June 6th, 2010, 10:37 AM

Carter: Cut your engines, we're going to beam you back.

Problem solved?

KEK
June 6th, 2010, 10:45 AM
They seemed to have only seconds to spare.

kymeric
June 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM
302 pilots dont have a very high survival rate!

But Mckay did make short range hyperdrives that would fit on 302's. Unless theyre designing a new ship from scratch for those engines.

GateroomGuard
June 6th, 2010, 02:55 PM
O'Neill: "We lost two 302 Pilots...sent to stop the attack. Col. Carter knew she'd lose her ship if she tried to save them, but it was the right decision."

So they either saved one 302 crew, or they got one pilot from both 302s, or 302s now only need one pilot. Either way we have 2 pilots unacounted for.

wargrafix
June 6th, 2010, 04:26 PM
They could have beamed the pilots.

Starsaber
June 6th, 2010, 05:28 PM
So they either saved one 302 crew, or they got one pilot from both 302s, or 302s now only need one pilot. Either way we have 2 pilots unacounted for.

I'm pretty sure Telford didn't have a backseater in Air. For that matter, wasn't Sheppard alone in his 302 in Enemy at the Gate? We might be on F-302As that only need one pilot now.

Jakerod
June 6th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Even if the F-302s have anti-beaming tech onboard, as someone else said earlier you can just have them turn it off... or you could tell them to eject and beam them in from space. Or you could beam the entire ship into the Hammond or at least some place a bit more safe. I doubt they were in the jamming field at the time because the soldiers were able to get out of it in a few seconds so once again as someone else said the F-302s should've been able to as well.

Burns
June 6th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Even if the F-302s have anti-beaming tech onboard, as someone else said earlier you can just have them turn it off... or you could tell them to eject and beam them in from space. Or you could beam the entire ship into the Hammond or at least some place a bit more safe. I doubt they were in the jamming field at the time because the soldiers were able to get out of it in a few seconds so once again as someone else said the F-302s should've been able to as well.

In my mind the anti-beaming tec would be for the whole 302 not just the person in it

Jakerod
June 6th, 2010, 05:57 PM
In my mind the anti-beaming tec would be for the whole 302 not just the person in it
That leaves the ejection option.

GateroomGuard
June 6th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Telford didn't have a backseater in Air. For that matter, wasn't Sheppard alone in his 302 in Enemy at the Gate? We might be on F-302As that only need one pilot now.

Yeah I've noticed that. When they first showed up they had two pilots. When they fought Anubis over Antartica they had two pilots. When Sheppard and McKay were dealing with the Wratih virus in Daedalus their were two pilots. Yet all of a sudden Sheppard starts flying by himself, even though it's still desigined for two pilots. Obviously Sheppard was so awesome he didn't need another pilot.

And I just watchd Air and Telford did have a backseat pilot. And all the shots of the 302s showed a backseat cockpit.

So by SGU's own continuity 302s are still two person fighters. Unless they've suddenly been upgraded in the past few months.

So Carter... aren't you missing some people?

Burns
June 6th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Yeah I've noticed that. When they first showed up they had two pilots. When they fought Anubis over Antartica they had two pilots. When Sheppard and McKay were dealing with the Wratih virus in Daedalus their were two pilots. Yet all of a sudden Sheppard starts flying by himself, even though it's still desigined for two pilots. Obviously Sheppard was so awesome he didn't need another pilot.

And I just watchd Air and Telford did have a backseat pilot. And all the shots of the 302s showed a backseat cockpit.

So by SGU's own continuity 302s are still two person fighters. Unless they've suddenly been upgraded in the past few months.

So Carter... aren't you missing some people?

Here's the thing with the second person in the 302 the second seat should be the guy that 'paints' the target for bombing runs. So I can see why in SGA doesn't have a 2 man teams (lack of man power). But in SGU, there should have been 2

GateroomGuard
June 6th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Here's the thing with the second person in the 302 the second seat should be the guy that 'paints' the target for bombing runs. So I can see why in SGA doesn't have a 2 man teams (lack of man power). But in SGU, there should have been 2

Well other than Sheppard I think all the 302s in SGA had two pilots. And all the 302s in SGU have been two pilots. So are we going to get a spinoff show about a lost 302 crew?

Burns
June 6th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Well other than Sheppard I think all the 302s in SGA had two pilots. And all the 302s in SGU have been two pilots. So are we going to get a spinoff show about a lost 302 crew?

Make more Then two seasons and the other two movie before spin-off are even thought of

GateroomGuard
June 6th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Make more Then two seasons and the other two movie before spin-off are even thought of

I know I was only joking :)

But the mystery of the lost 302 crew will be solved, even if it takes me my whole life to find out.

Burns
June 6th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I know I was only joking :)

But the mystery of the lost 302 crew will be solved, even if it takes me my whole life to find out.

I got you but needed to make a sticking point to the writers, hopefully they read us

GateroomGuard
June 6th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I got you but needed to make a sticking point to the writers, hopefully they read us

If they do read us....

Writers please please please let me know what happend to that 302 crew.

captain Qball
June 6th, 2010, 07:18 PM
While 302s do have room for two pilots, it is fully capable of being operated by one. As an example, the season 8 SH-1 episode where carter takes the wealthy business man who threatens to expose the SGC to the alpha site and they fly in a 302, she does most of the flying, and only lets him have control for a bit.

Terrible oversight in the beaming though, that was my first thought while watching.

GateroomGuard
June 6th, 2010, 07:23 PM
While 302s do have room for two pilots, it is fully capable of being operated by one. As an example, the season 8 SH-1 episode where carter takes the wealthy business man who threatens to expose the SGC to the alpha site and they fly in a 302, she does most of the flying, and only lets him have control for a bit.

Terrible oversight in the beaming though, that was my first thought while watching.

But that wasn't a combat situation. Pilots take civillians up all the time in 2 seater combat planes. And with the exception of Sheppard, who must be the most awesome 302 pilot ever, in every combat situation their has always been 2 pilots in a 302. That has been true in SG1, SGA, and SGU.

Burns
June 6th, 2010, 07:26 PM

Ok? From what I understand you can fly a one of those unmanned drones (on RL earth) with one person but it takes two people to fly and lanch attacks. That is the thing that bothers me, the second person does the bombing. Which was why the Hammond was there stop the dialing to the ship

Jakerod
June 6th, 2010, 07:37 PM
You don't really need two people. Whereas, yes if you have two seats you normally have two people, there are plenty of fighter jets that have only one pilot in real life (ex. A-10, F-117, F-35, F-22, variants of F-15, F-16, F-18) Perhaps they managed to upgrade the craft so they only need one pilot but they left the second seat in. Or maybe that is a new variant with only one seat. A single pilot can drop bombs and fire missiles. You don't need a second person, it just makes it easier.

Zatnikitelman
June 6th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Um, the Hyperdrives were accurate enough, in the S7 premiere of SG-1, Sam and Jack flew an F-302 inside Anubis's ship's shields and pulled a Luke Skywalker by blowing that exhaust port (or somesuch) by engaging the hyperdrive and bypassing the shields altogether. In subsequent episodes, there just hasn't been a need to use the hyperdrives that I could tell. The Ori satellite was too small for an F-302 to get in under the shields, the Wraith Super Hive didn't have shields, the Asuran satellite was too small, the Asuran ships were being smacked down even with shields so...yea, they just haven't had a NEED to use them. Doesn't mean they don't still have them.

GateroomGuard
June 6th, 2010, 07:39 PM
You don't really need two people. Whereas, yes if you have two seats you normally have two people, there are plenty of fighter jets that have only one pilot in real life (ex. A-10, F-117, F-35, F-22, variants of F-15, F-16, F-18) Perhaps they managed to upgrade the craft so they only need one pilot but they left the second seat in. Or maybe that is a new variant with only one seat. A single pilot can drop bombs and fire missiles. You don't need a second person, it just makes it easier.

Unless they've been upgraded since Air they should still need two pilots.

Burns
June 6th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Um, the Hyperdrives were accurate enough, in the S7 premiere of SG-1, Sam and Jack flew an F-302 inside Anubis's ship's shields and pulled a Luke Skywalker by blowing that exhaust port (or somesuch) by engaging the hyperdrive and bypassing the shields altogether. In subsequent episodes, there just hasn't been a need to use the hyperdrives that I could tell. The Ori satellite was too small for an F-302 to get in under the shields, the Wraith Super Hive didn't have shields, the Asuran satellite was too small, the Asuran ships were being smacked down even with shields so...yea, they just haven't had a NEED to use them. Doesn't mean they don't still have them.

But from what I understand the hyperdrive can only be used for short jumps. But how long of a jump do you need to get away from a naqu heavy planet blowing up?

Jakerod
June 6th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Unless they've been upgraded since Air they should still need two pilots.
Which is possible and not something really worth mentioning on-screen. I would've liked them to mention it but it isn't a big deal to me since it isn't very far fetched. What is far fetched to me though is that they didn't:
a.) Beam the F-302s in
b.) If that isn't possible due to a jammer for the craft in general or physics, Beam the Pilots in
c.) If that isn't possible due to the pilot being jammed by the aircraft, have them turn it off
d.) If that isn't possible due to the pilot not knowing how or not being able to, tell the Pilot to Eject and then Beam him
e.) If that isn't possible due to the pilot having a personal jamming device that can't be turned off, some high ranking official somewhere didn't think things through very well and it all makes sense assuming they don't have hyperdrives anymore. Stargate Wiki (http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/F-302) says that it still has a hyperdrive too so there is no getting around that. The only possibility is that maybe it couldn't get far enough away. That seems unlikely however.

GateroomGuard
June 6th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Which is possible and not something really worth mentioning on-screen. I would've liked them to mention it but it isn't a big deal to me since it isn't very far fetched. What is far fetched to me though is that they didn't:
a.) Beam the F-302s in
b.) If that isn't possible due to a jammer for the craft in general or physics, Beam the Pilots in
c.) If that isn't possible due to the pilot being jammed by the aircraft, have them turn it off
d.) If that isn't possible due to the pilot not knowing how or not being able to, tell the Pilot to Eject and then Beam him
e.) If that isn't possible due to the pilot having a personal jamming device that can't be turned off, some high ranking official somewhere didn't think things through very well and it all makes sense assuming they don't have hyperdrives anymore.

I don't know every time we've gotten any of our ships any upgrades it's always been a big deal. I would think 1 pilot 302s would be a big deal.

Jakerod
June 6th, 2010, 07:56 PM
If one of the main characters was flying it I would say it should be explained. But they weren't used enough so it isn't important. It wasn't a deciding point in the battle or anything like that. In the past its been a big deal because it has been extremely important to plot. However, this time it is not. Technically I guess the pilots not being beamed isn't a big deal though either but it shows a lack of consistency since we know they could've been beamed. Just like we know that even a F-302 without upgrades can possibly be flown quite effectively by a single person. The second person tends to be more for watching Radar than anything else and there is a good chance that the Hammond could be relaying that information to the pilot already.

Burns
June 6th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I don't know every time we've gotten any of our ships any upgrades it's always been a big deal. I would think 1 pilot 302s would be a big deal.

True I just still think it is unlikely for 1 person (at the speeds that the 302's do ) to do a good worth while strike, in SG1 LA was shown as just thiefs' and drug dealers. So it would make scence for the SGC to under stermate LA, christ USA (in RL) has been doing it for decades

Alan Wake
June 8th, 2010, 01:28 AM
These are all such small details, the common person watching wouldn't think about this stuff... that's why it really doesn't matter to the writers.

Ed
June 8th, 2010, 03:32 AM
It would have been good to explain

also F302s don't have hyperdrives only the X302s have that, it was never kept in mass production.

ckwongau
June 8th, 2010, 04:37 AM
a.) Beam the F-302s in
e.) If that isn't possible due to the pilot having a personal jamming device that can't be turned off, some high ranking official somewhere didn't think things through very well and it all makes sense assuming they don't have hyperdrives anymore. Stargate Wiki (http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/F-302) says that it still has a hyperdrive too so there is no getting around that. The only possibility is that maybe it couldn't get far enough away. That seems unlikely however.

If there were too must EMP interference ,may be they could not beam them out

KLEINMAN: Colonel. I'm reading a huge energy spike. At this rate they've got less than a minute before their core goes up.

CARTER: Get our people out of the shielded areas and beam them back to the ship now
But they can beam the Earth 's ground force back before the planet explode, then they could beam the pilot.

So Why didn't Sam tried to beam the pilot back ?

When Col Shepard was trapped on a 302 with Wraith virus, the beaming antenna was destory , but they can still beam him out using primitive radio signal.

dgh64
June 8th, 2010, 09:34 AM
It's like I said in the original post... it was only there to give O'Neill something to beat Young over the head with for hesitating to vent the gate room.

Zatnikitelman
June 8th, 2010, 08:52 PM
It would have been good to explain

also F302s don't have hyperdrives only the X302s have that, it was never kept in mass production.

And do you have proof of this?

natyanayaki
June 8th, 2010, 09:20 PM
As I recall the area were the LA was had some sort of anti beaming technology protection field. It is the reason they sent in the F-302s in the first place. When all went to hell (boy does that happen often in the SG franchise or what?) she ordered all F302 crews within range and outside the anti beaming field transported. 2 of the fighters were not able to clear the field in time before the General Hammond had to leave in a hury or risk being blown to bits as the planet inevitably blows up.

That's how I remember it.

dgh64
June 8th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Uh, the ground forces (guys running around with guns, I can't imagine them going faster than about 10 miles an hour) were able to get outside the LA anti-beaming field in time. So the 302's, which go multiple times the speed of sound should be able to clear the field in... a couple seconds, at most.