PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn`t it be time to ask somebody smart from SGC to help?

tomstone
June 5th, 2010, 10:13 AM
The destiny may be a mistery, but if they would get Carter and Daniel on the Ship for a few weeks, I bet they could enable way more systems then Rush and Mathboy united.

Of course they dont do that because it would speed up the whole discovery which is one of the pluspoints of this Series, but they could get someone to help for at least a bit. It kind of goes on my nerves that the Icarus Team is actually just along for the ride and helpless against the Destinies moodswings.

KlaxxonBlue
June 5th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Don't you understand? TPTB only want minimal/limited exposure to the previous series.

Rodney and Carter could take that ship apart in days. But hey, we don't wana do that! :)

Klaxxon

Gollumpus
June 5th, 2010, 12:08 PM
C'mon, how many Goa'Uld, Ancient or Wraith ships did the guys from SG1 and SGA acquire only to blow them up later in the same episode? I wouldn't want those guys anywhere near Destiny... :P

regards,
G.

Coronach
June 5th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Well, if we're venturing into wild speculation and accusation, here's my idea:

Rodney and Carter despise everyone aboard the Destiny and refuse to help out. Of course, all of this happens off-screen so we haven't seen it...but trust me, this is the reason.

Daniel would help, but he's busy teaching a pilates class to the Furlings with Vala's help.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 5th, 2010, 12:12 PM
The destiny may be a mistery, but if they would get Carter and Daniel on the Ship for a few weeks, I bet they could enable way more systems then Rush and Mathboy united.

Of course they dont do that because it would speed up the whole discovery which is one of the pluspoints of this Series, but they could get someone to help for at least a bit. It kind of goes on my nerves that the Icarus Team is actually just along for the ride and helpless against the Destinies moodswings.

No.

Just as SGA stood on its own without interference from the stars of other shows, SGU has to do the same. That the writers have made a point of including others is a credit, but SGU is not SG1

Major_Griff
June 5th, 2010, 12:17 PM
If the answer to unlocking Destiny's master code was to give Carter or McKay and hour on Destiny, don;t you think they would have done that by now? Obviously yes, which leads me to believe that everything that could possibly be done is already being done by Rush.

I know Carter and McKay pulled miracles every week in SG-1 and SGA, but the tone of those shows were wildly different than the tone of SGU. The reason the master code can't be unlocked it becasue the writers don't want to to be. Even McKay and Carter can't outsmart the writers.

MattSilver 3k
June 5th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Well, if we're venturing into wild speculation and accusation, here's my idea:

Rodney and Carter despise everyone aboard the Destiny and refuse to help out. Of course, all of this happens off-screen so we haven't seen it... but trust me, this is the reason.

Daniel would help, but he's busy teaching a pilates class to the Furlings with Vala's help.

This. And Daniel and Vala are too busy copulating in between classes. To Daniel's delight, she often wears her leather outfits.

Meanwhile, Rodney's staunch refusal to send anyone from Atlantis is well-documented (Even giving Zelenka a hug to prevent him from using the stones, then spending a whole two days telling Radek how awesome he was.), and Carter spends her time doing "busy Commander stuff." Namely, dying her hair and painting her toenails. Jennifer Keller finds herself going on almost hourly dates with Rodney when he's not working (so he can avoid the Destiny and get brownie points from his gal Friday). Major Marks finds himself frustrated as Carter makes the Hammond do laps around the galaxy (She also deliberately sabotages the ship to avoid going to Earth and hopping on the stones.)

It's a solid theory! Now let's go on about Daniel and Vala's sexcapades!

tomstone
June 5th, 2010, 12:39 PM
If the answer to unlocking Destiny's master code was to give Carter or McKay and hour on Destiny, don;t you think they would have done that by now? Obviously yes, which leads me to believe that everything that could possibly be done is already being done by Rush.

I know Carter and McKay pulled miracles every week in SG-1 and SGA, but the tone of those shows were wildly different than the tone of SGU. The reason the master code can't be unlocked it becasue the writers don't want to to be. Even McKay and Carter can't outsmart the writers.

Its not really about the mastercode itself, just that they are almost every episode victims of their not being able to control the simplest things on the destiny besides opening doors and venting athmosphere. Also I kind of have the feeling that the Mastercode has already been unlocked. As I wrote in another thread. The destiny is out of FTL without timer for no apparent reason. This could mean that Franklin got adapted to the ships system and the glitches they experience is the destiny trying to figure out how to handle his counciousness(dont know how to write that). After all how are they supposed start the FTL again once they won?

GateroomGuard
June 5th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Well if they could use the stones to get Ronnan and Teal'c onboard the Lucian Alliance would be defeated in a matter of minutes. But that would be too easy.

tomstone
June 5th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Well if they could use the stones to get Ronnan and Teal'c onboard the Lucian Alliance would be defeated in a matter of minutes. But that would be too easy.

Yeah, but it would be lots of fun. Cant wait for a Genderchange experience. Just Imagine having Rush trade bodies with Carter. I am already laughing when thinking of a completly disturbed Rush, trying to figure out how to go on the Toilet. Thats stuff for a real fun comedy Episode.

pipi
June 5th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I think the SGC has faith in Rush to be the chief scientiest. They probably do have a team back on Earth to help in a supporting role, like doing analysis and theories. Like the theory of dialing Earth while the ship was recharging came from Earth.

Pharaoh Atem
June 5th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Don't you understand? TPTB only want minimal/limited exposure to the previous series.

Rodney and Carter could take that ship apart in days. But hey, we don't wana do that! :)

Klaxxon

exaclty carter & mckay was the easy way out.

jmoz
June 5th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Defeats the purpose of letting the show stand on its own two feet if you have the conveniences of the communication stones and the big guest stars out of their elements. Thought they were supposed to be stranded in space anyways.

Pharaoh Atem
June 5th, 2010, 05:10 PM
i still say let mckay come onboard and just as he's about to find something important (insert reason ) the commucation stones crap out.

then take the next 4-6 eps having rush and eli finish the work thus letting the destiny crew make the discovery. that way it still had to done the hard way.

IMForeman
June 5th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I don't know about how the real smarties would be super helpful now, but I think asking a few civilians on Destiny to swap with trained soldiers would help with the manpower issue.

thekillman
June 6th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Carter has a burn-out from the complex systems and the zero cooperation. she constantly looks at the clock for the 35 minute mark, then gives up because she didn't solve the problem in time.

Mckay would DIE because of all the uncooperative systems. lines include but are not limited to "why the hell isn't it registering the temperature? the powerflow? why is it doing that! STOP DOING THAT. OH CRAP!"

Avenger
June 6th, 2010, 01:32 AM
This isn't Stargate: Stars From the Previous Series Ride in on Magic Horses to Save the Day. Bringing McKay in to unlock the ship would be completely lame.

Tuvok
June 6th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Defeats the purpose of letting the show stand on its own two feet if you have the conveniences of the communication stones and the big guest stars out of their elements. Thought they were supposed to be stranded in space anyways.

Another problem is the Destiny itself, lets say that we get McKay ( expert at Atlantis tech) and Carter( expert on engineering) on board..and due to the finicky and ancient design predating Atlantis they cant fix it? While realistic it would led to fans crying Foul. It would seem character derailment and insulting.

Realistic, but insulting.

So better not to pull the tigers tail and leave them offship.

Egle01
June 6th, 2010, 02:55 AM
People didn't want SG-1 peeps in Atlantis, because they belonged to the other show. Now they want characters from other series in SGU? :rolleyes:

tomstone
June 6th, 2010, 04:08 AM
People didn't want SG-1 peeps in Atlantis, because they belonged to the other show. Now they want characters from other series in SGU? :rolleyes:

Atlantis was cool, because it was completly new teritory and the writers made a perfect story out of it. Now, with SGU, people had the possibilty to get off and on-ship. without trouble besides the jumping in and out of FTL issue from the beginning of the series. So they dont have the full cutoff feel of SGA. They actually got the manpower and ability to make things way more efficient on destiny without handling the Mastercode.

To the "Mastercode": They mentioned that it seemed to be a genetical marker just like the one General Oneil used to operate the chair at the alpha base. So, if nobody has the marker who is currently on Destiny, would mean that the mastercode couldn`t be unlocked until then. So they could get help without risking that the writers have to unlock this special part of the series.(Meaning the countdowns and the predestined course of the Destiny)

jelgate
June 6th, 2010, 08:28 AM
To the "Mastercode": They mentioned that it seemed to be a genetical marker just like the one General Oneil used to operate the chair at the alpha base. So, if nobody has the marker who is currently on Destiny, would mean that the mastercode couldn`t be unlocked until then. So they could get help without risking that the writers have to unlock this special part of the series.(Meaning the countdowns and the predestined course of the Destiny)
Um no. The code is defiantly a numerical sequence that is punched into the computer. The code just has a relevence to the Ancient's genome.

garhkal
June 8th, 2010, 04:47 AM

Just cause their mind might know all the physical moves Teal'c or Ronon would know, does not mean the BODIES they would inhabit could perform them.

Petra
June 8th, 2010, 08:28 AM

I'm confused. What the Destiny crew would need Daniel for? His main area of expertise is egyptology, anthropology and languages. What practical use would that have on Destiny? Daniel's contribution to technical aspects on SG-1 was doing translations so Sam could figure the tech out. However the scientists onboard the Destiny already know Ancient language..so seriously, why would they need another person whose only skill is speaking Ancient?

Sam apparently decided that her military career is more important to her than scientific one. Why would/should she change her mind? She does what she loves, leave her be. And besides, her area of expertise is atrophysics/Gate travel/wormhole physics/hyperdrives/engineering, not super old Ancient tech. She'd have to catch up first...

Mckay is probably busy with Atlantis. In any case, I don't see why would he abandon his life's work to dabble in somebody else's work, especially as it would put him in danger and somewhat demote him (he wouldn't be the senior scientist, that's Rush's position).

I'm all for bringing in some regular, unknown SGC/HWS scientists to help out, but speaking in-verse the regulars from the previous shows have their own life and it does not involve Destiny. Give them credit when it's due, make a few mentions when it's needed, but otherwise let them be. SGU is capable of having its own characters.

Giantevilhead
June 8th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Daniel still has Ancient knowledge left over from his ascension. He might have some knowledge left over from Merlin and being a Prior too.

Petra
June 8th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Daniel still has Ancient knowledge left over from his ascension. He might have some knowledge left over from Merlin and being a Prior too.

While he indeed does have some knowledge left for his time as an ascended being it's been made pretty clear that he can't access it on a whim. Sometimes it comes to him, like the stuff with Bra'tac in Orpheus, but more often it doesn't and in no way does he have any control over it. It's buried deep in his subconscious and therefore wouldn't be of any use on Destiny.

There's absolutely no proof that he retained any memories/knowledge of Merlin and/or Prior. Moreover IIRC in light of AoT it seems very unlikely - so again, your speculation can't be used as a reason for his being on Destiny.

Avenger
June 8th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Just cause their mind might know all the physical moves Teal'c or Ronon would know, does not mean the BODIES they would inhabit could perform them.

This is an extremely good point. Much of being a very good warrior is being physically fit and in tune with your body. Muscle memory is developed over years of training that makes reactions quicker and more precise. That kind of thing would be lost when swapping consciousnesses with another person as would, potentially, physical strength and fitness.