PDA

View Full Version : Zat guns?

Zatnikitelman
June 4th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Ok, the Goa'uld are gone, the galaxy is littered with their technology, the Zat guns were the most ubiquitous weapon out there...but where were they? Yea yea, SGU != SG1, separate shows, etc., but I was hoping to see some blue lightning shooting down corridors tonight. Yea, maybe the Icarus personnel couldn't be equipped with them because SGC didn't get enough for every Tom, Dick and Matt to have one, but the Lucians...?
(before you judge too harshly, look at my username)

Pharaoh Atem
June 4th, 2010, 10:26 PM
what's a zat gun?? is that from the cartoon show?? infinity i think it was ?

NormaN
June 4th, 2010, 10:28 PM
what's a zat gun?? is that from the cartoon show?? infinity i think it was ?

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

VampyreWraith
June 4th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Ok, the Goa'uld are gone, the galaxy is littered with their technology, the Zat guns were the most ubiquitous weapon out there...but where were they? Yea yea, SGU != SG1, separate shows, etc., but I was hoping to see some blue lightning shooting down corridors tonight. Yea, maybe the Icarus personnel couldn't be equipped with them because SGC didn't get enough for every Tom, Dick and Matt to have one, but the Lucians...?

I was wondering that too , maybe they all ran out of power and no one can figure out how to recharge them lol :) or maybe they didnt want to waste time stunning people first before killing them, but they did take hostages, or maybe they have them but havent used them yet. so i dunno.

wingsabre
June 4th, 2010, 10:31 PM
The same reason they didn't bring any zat guns over to Atlantis, or try to use a Zat on a Wraith to see if it works on them.

Pharaoh Atem
June 4th, 2010, 10:32 PM
The same reason they didn't bring any zat guns over to Atlantis, or try to use a Zat on a Wraith to see if it works on them.

there was zats in sga

VampyreWraith
June 4th, 2010, 10:34 PM

i can understand the earth people not having them , but the lucian alliance has a bunch of goauld tech, most of what weve seen of there tech has been goauld.

any_gopher
June 4th, 2010, 10:35 PM
They didn't use them because, more than likely, they don't have any more zat props. They've been auctioning Stargate props off like crazy because of MGM's financial troubles. They probably just don't have them any more.

VampyreWraith
there was zats in sga

yep in return pt 1

IMForeman
They did Zat a Wraith in Midway. Dropped them like a bad habit. I think the reason they didn't bring them is the same reason the SGC tends not to use them: They aren't terribly accurate to fire. You need to hit a target twice to kill them. They aren't effective over long distances.

Automatic projectile weapons on the other hand are highly accurate, work in both short and long ranges and pretty much are guaranteed to drop your target when you hit them.

Kastro187420
June 4th, 2010, 10:38 PM
They'd have been a useful addition. Their effective seemed to translate through certain materials, so they could provide a nice method of taking someone out who is behind some cover, simply be Zatting the cover itself. Additionally, when they want to disarm/disable someone without inflicting serious injury, a Zat was the best way to go about it. You could neutralize the target, and have there be no lasting affect.

It even worked to reverse certain brainwashing methods.

IMForeman
June 4th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Only that Nishta stuff. The hardcore brainwashing is harder to undo.

VampyreWraith
June 4th, 2010, 10:41 PM
They did Zat a Wraith in Midway. Dropped them like a bad habit. I think the reason they didn't bring them is the same reason the SGC tends not to use them: They aren't terribly accurate to fire. You need to hit a target twice to kill them. They aren't effective over long distances.

Automatic projectile weapons on the other hand are highly accurate, work in both short and long ranges and pretty much are guaranteed to drop your target when you hit them.

True i forgot about midway, theve never used them outside the sgc on atlantis though, at least that i can think of right now. and i agree about not needing to stun first kill later and accuracy probs.

wingsabre
June 4th, 2010, 11:17 PM
there was zats in sga

They never brought over zat guns on SGA. Zats were shown when they went back to Earth, but they never thought to bring it to Atlantis, even though there was a limited amount of ammo, while Zats don't really need to have replacement ammo. They instead used Wraith stunners.

wingsabre
June 4th, 2010, 11:20 PM

That's the thing, they didn't even bring it on Atlantis when they first arrived. You would think that they'd try it. And it worked on Midway. Which meant that instead of firing their guns several times to bring down a regenerating Wraith, they could have used a zat.

VampyreWraith
June 4th, 2010, 11:25 PM
That's the thing, they didn't even bring it on Atlantis when they first arrived. You would think that they'd try it. And it worked on Midway. Which meant that instead of firing their guns several times to bring down a regenerating Wraith, they could have used a zat.

I think it was just a creative decision by the tptb not to have zats in pg,i think they wanted a different feel for atlantis and the pegasus galaxy and they didnt want zats there to keep reminding the viewers of the milky way or the goauld.

Lunaeclipse
June 5th, 2010, 12:07 AM

Am I missing something? How were all the Goa'uld killed? When did Klorel die? He was taken out of Skaara, but safely. I haven't really watched any of the series after Sg1, but is there a definite on that?

VampyreWraith
June 5th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Am I missing something? How were all the Goa'uld killed? When did Klorel die? He was taken out of Skaara, but safely. I haven't really watched any of the series after Sg1, but is there a definite on that?

i think they got rid of all the system lords, but your right theres probably plenty of minor goauld still out there and laying low.

They mentioned in continum that baal was the last system lord

Lunaeclipse
June 5th, 2010, 12:17 AM

Maybe all the Zat's got destroyed. In Pretense they suggested that ALL the tech that the Goa'uld had was stolen. If the race that made them disappeared, and no one knew how to make them then there would be no more.

Werewolfhero
June 5th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Klorel was probably killed by the replicators, along with most the others

Figured the real reason the Zats never made it into SGA aside from a few sparce eps was because of the special effects budget.

VampyreWraith
June 5th, 2010, 12:46 AM

Figured the real reason the Zats never made it into SGA aside from a few sparce eps was because of the special effects budget.

well we know that neruus (the gluttonous goauld) survived the replicators along with baal so there couldve been more just biding time
possible, maybe the blue lightening cost more than the effect with the wraith stunners

Lunaeclipse
June 5th, 2010, 12:57 AM

As a Klorel fan I need proof of that...:)

Lunaeclipse
June 5th, 2010, 12:58 AM
well we know that neruus (the gluttonous goauld) survived the replicators along with baal so there couldve been more just biding time
possible, maybe the blue lightening cost more than the effect with the wraith stunners

Or Maybe Zats just got boring for them...

VampyreWraith
June 5th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Or Maybe Zats just got boring for them...

yeah i still think its a creative thing, having the zats just screams goauld, and kinda takes u outta atlantis and the wraith in pegasus, and brings u back to the milky way. But the lucian alliance is known to rely heavily on goauld tech, so it would reason that they'd have zats. But like i said earlier they might have them and didnt use them in the first assault so they could do the most damage, or since they were kind of in a rush to go through the gate before the planet exploded maybe they forgot them or didnt see them as that important.

pipi
June 5th, 2010, 01:38 AM
What a buzz kill, no Zat guns! :(

And they didn't even lob a Go'uld stun grenade. Using stupid Tauri weapons with lazers.

somme
June 5th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Projectiles are more accurate. A staff weapon is, "a weapon of fear", a gun is a "weapon of war". And it doesn't take a huge leap to have the idea to nick our lasers to make them even more accurate.

I kind of want to see a Zat gun as well but...I don't know if they would fit.

gotthammer
June 5th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Were most of the LA armed w/ those bullpup Chinese ARs (QBZ something something...I forget :P ), btw (except for, I think, some 'dressed up' pistols)? :D

As a rationale for not putting in weapons that use special effects (which may be more expensive than blanks):
Maybe Zats are more expensive to purchase and power/maintain (I mean, what are zats and staff weapons powered with? Naquadah? Naquadria? As opposed to using Earth/Tau'ri-made firearms, that is.
I mean, if the LA has a presence on Earth, what's stopping them from dealing w/ the Black Market weapons' trade? :D

Commander Zelix
June 5th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Tell that to Chloe and Riley and all the main characters in history of TV and Cinema. :P

pipi
June 5th, 2010, 05:55 AM
But a zat gun would have been so cool...

RJLCyberPunk
June 5th, 2010, 06:05 AM
They didn't use them because, more than likely, they don't have any more zat props. They've been auctioning Stargate props off like crazy because of MGM's financial troubles. They probably just don't have them any more.

That sucks! But it does not explain why the LA instead has Earthen machine guns. That made no sense whatsoever. And what about Staff weapons did they auction every darn prop there was? That's terrible. The SGVerse without SG props. :(

Wildrose-Wally
June 5th, 2010, 06:41 AM
The real reason:

The U.S. Government actively pursues its mission to control exports of sensitive equipment, software and technology as a means to promote our national security interests, foreign policy objectives, and pursuit of world peace.

Stormtrooper
June 5th, 2010, 06:48 AM
The actual question is, what was the Lucian Alliance doing with projectile weapons? That really made no sense. Besides, ricochet kills. It would have been much safer for them to use zats, staff weapons or any other type of energy-based weapon they developed.

I'm blaming BSG and TPTB's need to copy that show for this one.

jelgate
June 5th, 2010, 06:59 AM
The actual question is, what was the Lucian Alliance doing with projectile weapons? That really made no sense. Besides, ricochet kills. It would have been much safer for them to use zats, staff weapons or any other type of energy-based weapon they developed.

I'm blaming BSG and TPTB's need to copy that show for this one.
We have seen in SG1 that the Alliance prefers the projectile weapons to energy based ones

Pharaoh Atem
June 5th, 2010, 07:38 AM

at the end of season 8 the goa'uld were defeated.

The Mighty 6 platoon
June 5th, 2010, 07:39 AM
That sucks! But it does not explain why the LA instead has Earthen machine guns. That made no sense whatsoever. And what about Staff weapons did they auction every darn prop there was? That's terrible. The SGVerse without SG props. :(
As jelgate has said the LA has already been established as using projectile weapons, not surprising really considering that earth ahs spent the last few years demonstrating the practicality of projectile weapons over energy weapons.

Takamuri
June 5th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Klorel, according to Stargate Wikia:

Klorel was removed from Skaara by the Tok'ra. His final fate is unknown. (SG1: "Pretense")

Major_Griff
June 5th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Definitely doesn't surprise me that they brought projectile weapons. As others have said, SG-1 established that they do indeed use them. And Kiva doesn't seem the type to me that wants to stun her enemies. She's more the 'if you won't talk I'll kill you and your friends will talk' type.

RJLCyberPunk
June 5th, 2010, 09:10 AM
We have seen in SG1 that the Alliance prefers the projectile weapons to energy based ones

When was this?

MattSilver 3k
June 5th, 2010, 09:12 AM
When was this?

Off the Grid, best I remember. Season 9, episode 16.

jelgate
June 5th, 2010, 09:26 AM
When was this?

Just like at any Lucian Alliance episode in S9/S10 and you see them holding projectile guns instead of zats

thekillman
June 5th, 2010, 09:36 AM
i believe The Warrior shows why the LA use projectile guns

Stormtrooper
June 5th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I thought the only thing established about the Lucian Alliance was that they relied on Goa'uld tech. And even then, why would they prefer projectile weapons to the safer and more reliable energy weapons for this particular mission?

jelgate
June 5th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I thought the only thing established about the Lucian Alliance was that they relied on Goa'uld tech. And even then, why would they prefer projectile weapons to the safer and more reliable energy weapons for this particular mission?

Because its been shown that projectile weapons cause faster death then energy weapons. Kind of useful when taking a ship

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 5th, 2010, 10:03 AM
(before you judge too harshly, look at my username)I think it just doesn't fit with SGU where, other than a nod here and there, they tend to be staying away from the Goa'uld technology.

Stormtrooper
June 5th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Because its been shown that projectile weapons cause faster death then energy weapons. Kind of useful when taking a ship

Tell that to Ronon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAIigNcwYLc

MattSilver 3k
June 5th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Blah blah blah... Energy weapons are fun, but normal guns are fun too! Maybe the Lucian Alliance, back in their small-time days as they tried to rise up through the ranks of evil overlordness, fought off some replicators and decided that the old school guns were better. Maybe they ran out of batteries for the energy guns. Maybe they have both, and we just haven't seen the shiny toy guns!

Maybe gritty = bullets. Bullets cause bleeding and make big bang noises. Energy weapons are just silly bursts of energy that burn people/knock them out.

thekillman
June 5th, 2010, 10:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVPF0u9vGEI

at approx. 4 minutes. that's why.

IMForeman
June 5th, 2010, 10:44 AM
at approx. 4 minutes. that's why.

Exactly. Energy Weapons aint all they are cracked up to be.

Major_Griff
June 5th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Exactly. Energy Weapons aint all they are cracked up to be.

At least the energy weapons available to the LA. As some one else pointed out Ronan's gun/Travelers gun is pretty awesome, but they're not available in the Milky Way.

Zatnikitelman
June 5th, 2010, 11:02 AM
And "The Warrior" never covered Zat guns. In just about every subsequent usage, they were shown to be about as accurate as a P90 shot-per-shot. Staff weapons, not so much, but it's a completely different style of weapon in any case than a Zat gun.

IMForeman
June 5th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Tell that to Chloe and Riley and all the main characters in history of TV and Cinema. :P

Apparently the Lucian Alliance need to learn two words for the next time they use these weapons: Center Mass.

Ragitsu
June 5th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Please, don't use the staff weapon example from "The Warrior". These are two different weapons: in construction, in energy usage, and in role.

Actually, zat'nikatels are probably just as accurate, if not more, than standard pistols and are usually equally desirable. Granted, they don't appear to have any sights or rails for sights, but the energy shot isn't as (if at all) affected by gravity, there's no recoil, the same rate of fire (if not better), they appear to have a huge ammo capacity, and they're versatile (can stun, can kill, and can disintegrate). Oh yeah, and a pistol can jam, but i've never seen a zat'nikatel jam or otherwise malfunction (granted, this doesn't rule out the possibility, yet all we have to go on is observed use).

The only downsides are stealth (you can suppress a pistol, but the blue lightning is easily visible), and the fact that some beings are immune to them.

Maybe gritty = bullets. Bullets cause bleeding and make big bang noises. Energy weapons are just silly bursts of energy that burn people/knock them out.

Silly? Huh? Also, getting roasted alive like a turkey is pretty much as gruesome as losing a lot of blood (which you may even be able to replace. Good luck replacing destroyed tissue that fast).

nx01a
June 9th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I was very sad to have see the Alliance not using energy weapons. I'm sure this was done for some sense of 'realism' to add to the 'gritty realism' of the show... set on a ship on the other side of the universe. *grumble* If you're going to be watching a sci-fi show, energy weapons are part of the deal. Get used to it. The Lucian Alliance should be using a mixture of Earth-based projectile weapons, zat guns and staff weapons, not to mention having Goa'uld shield generators, advanced grenades... The list goes on.

jelgate
June 9th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I was very sad to have see the Alliance not using energy weapons. I'm sure this was done for some sense of 'realism' to add to the 'gritty realism' of the show... set on a ship on the other side of the universe. *grumble* If you're going to be watching a sci-fi show, energy weapons are part of the deal. Get used to it. The Lucian Alliance should be using a mixture of Earth-based projectile weapons, zat guns and staff weapons, not to mention having Goa'uld shield generators, advanced grenades... The list goes on.

Its more of the staus quo. The Lucian Alliance has never used zat guns

nx01a
June 9th, 2010, 07:02 PM
They were never boarding ships on the other side of the universe, either. Unknown territory, limited supply of bullets? Not a good idea.

Replicator Todd
June 9th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I miss the Zat guns! :( But I don't remember the LA ever using them.

jelgate
June 9th, 2010, 07:09 PM
They were never boarding ships on the other side of the universe, either. Unknown territory, limited supply of bullets? Not a good idea.

The same can be said about energy weapons. They do run out of power

GateroomGuard
June 9th, 2010, 07:16 PM
The same can be said about energy weapons. They do run out of power

But Destiny does have those recharging plates, so energy weapons on Destiny have an infinite ammo cheat.

jelgate
June 9th, 2010, 07:24 PM
But Destiny does have those recharging plates, so energy weapons on Destiny have an infinite ammo cheat.

Not nesscarrily. The charging plate doesn't fix all batteries

GateroomGuard
June 9th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Not nesscarrily. The charging plate doesn't fix all batteries

Really? Which devices hasn't it be able to recharge?

jelgate
June 9th, 2010, 07:29 PM

None so fair but its only been seen in one episode and I find it to believe it can charge everything. It just doen't work that way

GateroomGuard
June 9th, 2010, 07:33 PM
None so fair but its only been seen in one episode and I find it to believe it can charge everything. It just doen't work that way

Well if it can charge earth flashlights and devices with no connection to Ancient tech then I would assume it could work on Staff and Zat guns which were based on Ancient tech. ;)

Kanten
June 9th, 2010, 07:33 PM
It's simple really.

The Alliance didn't come halfway across the universe intending to stun everyone on Destiny.

jelgate
June 9th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Well if it can charge earth flashlights and devices with no connection to Ancient tech then I would assume it could work on Staff and Zat guns which were based on Ancient tech. ;)

You know what they say about those who assume?

GateroomGuard
June 9th, 2010, 07:35 PM
It's simple really.

The Alliance didn't come halfway across the universe with the intention of stunning their enemy.

They have "O'Neill's Lessons on War" on tape. They know a weapon of war from a weapon of terror.

You know what they say about those who assume?

Well I wouldn't say assume. More like highly probable observation. If it can can charge an earth device developed with no Ancient technology then it is highly likely it can charge a device developed from Ancient technology.

If I find an Apple brand charging pad that can charge a PC then I'm pretty sure it will charge an iPad. :)

Kanten
June 9th, 2010, 07:37 PM
They have "O'Neill's Lessons on War" on tape. They know a weapon of war from a weapon of terror.

I was hoping somebody would mention that.

VampyreWraith
June 9th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I miss the Zat guns! :( But I don't remember the LA ever using them.

the LA, or at least Netans people, had zats in Flesh and Blood. They used them to stun Teal'c, you can see/hear them.

GateroomGuard
June 9th, 2010, 07:41 PM
the LA, or at least Netans people, had zats in Flesh and Blood. They used them to stun Teal'c, you can see/hear them.

They probably came for free with their Hat'ak. With the way they are out of date used ship dealers probably have to throw in a lot of free stuff. :)

Kanten
June 9th, 2010, 07:52 PM
They probably came for free with their Hat'ak. With the way they are out of date used ship dealers probably have to throw in a lot of free stuff. :)

Maybe they can get a bulk deal and trade their Ha'tak collection for a Beliskner.

NavyGater
June 9th, 2010, 07:56 PM
The LA should have had one or two guys with Zats plain and simple just from a taking over the ship stand point taking down people like Rush instead of killing them so they could put them to work for the LA makes sense does it not???

pipi
June 9th, 2010, 07:58 PM

It's a bit convenient that all flash lights are on rechargable batteries. In all reality military gear would probably run on disposables, no need to be all green and stuff.

GateroomGuard
June 9th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Maybe they can get a bulk deal and trade their Ha'tak collection for a Beliskner.

Yeah but the interior on all of them is atrocious. And the handling isn't great. Not to mention they break down every month. I had one a while back, greatly prefered the Ha'tak, they're real reliable and low mantinence. Now an O'Neill class handles wonderfully but their just so expensive and they have the same bad interior.

Not to mention with a Ha'tak you get for FREE a complement of Death Gliders and Al'kesh. And if you order within 20 minutes of the ad they throw in 2 Ha'taks with death gliders and A'lkeshs along with a full armory of Zats! All for only $19999.99!

VampyreWraith
June 9th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Yeah but the interior on all of them is atrocious. And the handling isn't great. Not to mention they break down every month. I had one a while back, greatly prefered the Ha'tak, they're real reliable and low mantinence. Now an O'Neill class handles wonderfully but their just so expensive and they have the same bad interior.

Not to mention with a Ha'tak you get for FREE a complement of Death Gliders and Al'kesh. And if you order within 20 minutes of the ad they throw in 2 Ha'taks with death gliders and A'lkeshs along with a full armory of Zats! All for only $19999.99!

If they throw in some staff weapons and tourture sticks i'm sold

GateroomGuard
June 9th, 2010, 08:13 PM
If they throw in some staff weapons and tourture sticks i'm sold

They'll tempt you to buy around July 4th with those offers but wait until around Thanksgiving instead. Trust me they'll want to get the old ones off the lot and you can walk away with your own fleet.

pipi
June 9th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I want a sarcophagus and a ga'uld personal shield.

GateroomGuard
June 9th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I want a sarcophagus and a ga'uld personal shield.

Well those cost about $1500 extra each, but their a pretty good investment. As long as your willing to pay for all the repairs. Those sarcophagus doors get rusty quick and then they don't open.

daedalus91
June 10th, 2010, 03:54 AM
I could be wrong, but i am confident that TPTB didn't actually like the idea of Zats. I remember them saying in an interview probably somewhere in my boxset that the reason why they did not use them in Atlantis was because it made it kind of easy, unlimited ammo etc. Oh and the fact the 3rd shot disintergrated them.

VampyreWraith
June 10th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I could be wrong, but i am confident that TPTB didn't actually like the idea of Zats. I remember them saying in an interview probably somewhere in my boxset that the reason why they did not use them in Atlantis was because it made it kind of easy, unlimited ammo etc. Oh and the fact the 3rd shot disintergrated them.

TPTB always seem to regret mentioning that 1 shot stuns, 2 shots kill, 3 shots disentigrate

daedalus91
June 10th, 2010, 11:21 AM
TPTB always seem to regret mentioning that 1 shot stuns, 2 shots kill, 3 shots disentigrate

Yeah, i think that is the reason, why they kept them out of Atlantis and SGU, i myself liked the Zats. Especially the noise.
However, having the 3rd shot disintergrate them is a little erm....... "Wonko" - (Vala's little saying)

pipi
June 10th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Well those cost about $1500 extra each, but their a pretty good investment. As long as your willing to pay for all the repairs. Those sarcophagus doors get rusty quick and then they don't open.

Trapped inside a sarcophagus with unlimited life regeneration would be a never ending prison. :D

VampyreWraith
June 10th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Yeah, i think that is the reason, why they kept them out of Atlantis and SGU, i myself liked the Zats. Especially the noise.
However, having the 3rd shot disintergrate them is a little erm....... "Wonko" - (Vala's little saying)

yeah, besides that, there are always viewers who will count the number of times someone has been zatted. And its like "hey that guy got shot twice he should be dead", or "y didnt he disentegrate he just got zatted 3 times" . If you want a cool looking zat fire fight and want characters to survive, you cant be too worried about whats killing and disintegrating, but people will look at that.

fmbchris
June 10th, 2010, 08:20 PM
the batteries went dead. do you need a 250,000 volt tazer?

Kanten
June 10th, 2010, 10:46 PM
yeah, besides that, there are always viewers who will count the number of times someone has been zatted. And its like "hey that guy got shot twice he should be dead", or "y didnt he disentegrate he just got zatted 3 times" . If you want a cool looking zat fire fight and want characters to survive, you cant be too worried about whats killing and disintegrating, but people will look at that.

It's bad enough right now with the "why not beam out the 302 pilots", there's too much convenient tech available that it was bordering on wizardry at the end of SGA.

VampyreWraith
June 11th, 2010, 05:29 AM
It's bad enough right now with the "why not beam out the 302 pilots", there's too much convenient tech available that it was bordering on wizardry at the end of SGA.

Well the asgard did bestow us with all their knowledge at the end of sg1, so we had to do something with it, or else we get "hey y didn't/didn't the asgard give us the tech/knowldge to do that."