PDA

View Full Version : Elevators

AquaGamer53
June 4th, 2010, 09:22 PM
So, did they mention how long Eli and Chloe's elevator ride took? Because like Eli said, it must have taken them horizontally to get to the part of the ship they're in. OR, is it some kind of beaming tech elevator, also seen in Atlantis. After all the big malfunctions already being talked about, I thought this was interesting.

Also, do you think Eli and Chloe just walked past rooms or is the section of the ship they're stuck in just long, gloomy hallways?

IMForeman
June 4th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Must be like the Trek Turbolifts. They go horizontally as well as vertically.

Cory Holmes
June 4th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I doubt it's teleporter booths like in Atlantis. Destiny is far older than that, and it wouldn't fit with the low-tech/steampunk tone to the show.

HaMm3r
June 4th, 2010, 09:26 PM
So, did they mention how long Eli and Chloe's elevator ride took? Because like Eli said, it must have taken them horizontally to get to the part of the ship they're in. OR, is it some kind of beaming tech elevator, also seen in Atlantis. After all the big malfunctions already being talked about, I thought this was interesting.

Also, do you think Eli and Chloe just walked past rooms or is the section of the ship they're stuck in just long, gloomy hallways?
I didn't notice anything to really indicate how long they were in the elevator. It seemed like Eli was fooling with the controls for awhile after it stopped though.

I think with Chloe being injured, they aren't wasting time exploring doorways and passages that don't lead in the right direction. So, I'd say they're skipping a lot of rooms/hallways.

GateroomGuard
June 4th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I want to know why the Ancients were so cheap with Destiny that their elevators lacked even basic elevator music.

AquaGamer53
June 4th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I didn't get the feeling they were Atlantis like teleporters, but they did seem to get to their destination pretty fast because Eli didn't notice Chloe was shot until the doors opened in the far end of the ship.

Cory Holmes
June 4th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I didn't get the feeling they were Atlantis like teleporters, but they did seem to get to their destination pretty fast because Eli didn't notice Chloe was shot until the doors opened in the far end of the ship.

With the ever-present inertial dampeners, that elevator could be moving at mach speeds (or several hundred miles per hour) and the occupants would never notice.

Pharaoh Atem
June 4th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I want to know why the Ancients were so cheap with Destiny that their elevators lacked even basic elevator music.

after a million years the speakers couldn't take it anymore.

GateroomGuard
June 4th, 2010, 09:42 PM

Come on Ancients, you have bed sheets that last millions of years yet speakers that don't work or don't exist? Priorities people.

Pharaoh Atem
June 4th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Come on Ancients, you have bed sheets that last millions of years yet speakers that don't work or don't exist? Priorities people.

if i had to listen to that music for a million years i tear out my own ear dumbs

AquaGamer53
June 4th, 2010, 09:46 PM
With the ever-present inertial dampeners, that elevator could be moving at mach speeds (or several hundred miles per hour) and the occupants would never notice.

Ah, I didn't think about that.... strange that didn't notice the horizontal thing before though. Guess they thought taking the stairs was safer though, wouldn't want the elevator to open to an unpressurized area...

AquaGamer53
June 4th, 2010, 09:47 PM

If you have super speed elevators, what kind of song would even be able to play?

Pharaoh Atem
June 4th, 2010, 09:48 PM
If you have super speed elevators, what kind of song would even be able to play?

we built this city on rock & roll

IMForeman
June 4th, 2010, 09:48 PM

You can't hear it out loud, but when you're in one of their elevators, it just starts playing in your subconscious, and you find yourself humming "The Girl from Ipanema."

GateroomGuard
June 4th, 2010, 09:50 PM
if i had to listen to that music for a million years i tear out my own ear dumbs

But it makes such a bad impression on new arrivals. I mean had the Icarus crew come through the gate to nice pleasent music they wouldn't be the emotional wrecks that they are. It's all about atmosphere, I mean look at Rapture in Bioshock, sure the city was horrifying but at least it had some music.

pipi
June 5th, 2010, 01:56 AM

Well if the teleportation was instant, then there'd be no need for music to kill the time. :)

Wayston
June 5th, 2010, 02:40 AM
elevators that also move horizontally aren't that far fetched, I saw this science program a couple years back that featured the topic and in the future apparantly the most efficient form of transportation would be to combine the vertical movement of an elevator and the horizontal movement of a shuttle in one transport system for really huge buildings

MattSilver 3k
June 5th, 2010, 03:21 AM
"Up and down, up and down... Just once, I'd like to go sideways." - Crichton Headroom, Farscape, season 4's "John Quixote."

If only he were around on Destiny to see this coup for elevators. He'd shed a tear or two...

pipi
June 5th, 2010, 05:57 AM
If the elevator moved sideways, there'd be inertia and Eli and Chloe would feel it, unless there are dampeners.

EvilSpaceAlien
June 5th, 2010, 06:21 AM

I've managed to get a hold of the elevator music from before the speakers broke down. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1iUzW2ASJ0)

jelgate
June 5th, 2010, 06:51 AM
If the elevator moved sideways, there'd be inertia and Eli and Chloe would feel it, unless there are dampeners.

Everything else on the ship has interinal dampers. Why not the elevator too?

thekillman
June 5th, 2010, 09:28 AM
inertial dampeners are even present in our fighters. and those dampeners are crap. surely the ancients got better dampeners in their elevators.

Sevrid
June 5th, 2010, 09:59 AM

the ship is going through space at FTL speeds, if they didnt have inertia dampeners they would all be piles of goo

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 5th, 2010, 10:08 AM
You can't hear it out loud, but when you're in one of their elevators, it just starts playing in your subconscious, and you find yourself humming "The Girl from Ipanema."

win, so much win...

Morganrone93
June 5th, 2010, 10:11 AM
the ship is going through space at FTL speeds, if they didnt have inertia dampeners they would all be piles of goo

Oh god, that made me laugh! Haha!

pipi
June 5th, 2010, 05:25 PM

Don't want to rain on your parade but the ship dropped out of FTL for the connecting wormhole. And not all FTL technology uses thrust motion, implying it does not need to travel in a straight line nor does Newton's law applies. Hyperspace is a form of FTL and it can go through a planet's core without smashing into it. Aka the shuttle hooked up to a rock of Naquada bound for Earth episode, SG-1.

dgh64
June 9th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Um, the ship obviously has artificial gravity. It's pretty simple to use a sideways-pointing AG field to cancel out acceleration/deceleration so the crew feels nothing. Say you want to have an elevator accelerate at 500 g's, all you need is a 500-g artificial gravity field in the wall that'll pull the passengers along at the same speed, and they won't feel anything because every atom is accelerating at the same rate.

kwlafayette
June 9th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Don't know how long it took them, but they ended up in the extreme front of the ship. You could see the pyramid like structure with the crew quarters way off in the distance. I think the elevators must be beaming technology, the distance seems like it is more than a mile at the very least. I have no idea what they are going to find there, but I hope it is something that answers some questions.

Egle01
June 9th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Some time ago I re-watched the pilot, and wondered why we haven't seen crew members using elevators. I think it's very cool that the elevator moves sideways too.

kwlafayette
June 9th, 2010, 11:58 PM
That is right, Scott was about to try one, and then he started chasing that first kino. One more thing to consider; if the elevator physically moves, then you would need a network of elevator shafts, and ways to avoid collisions, and such. That stuff does not appear on the Destiny schematics that we have seen.

Egle01
June 10th, 2010, 12:13 AM
One more thing to consider; if the elevator physically moves, then you would need a network of elevator shafts, and ways to avoid collisions, and such. That stuff does not appear on the Destiny schematics that we have seen.Every time we see schematics of the ship and corridors, there are empty spaces, too. I guess the elevators could move there...

Avenger
June 10th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Some time ago I re-watched the pilot, and wondered why we haven't seen crew members using elevators. I think it's very cool that the elevator moves sideways too.

I would assume because they don't occupy a large enough part of the ship to even bother. Also, given that they don't know what sort of condition the rest of the ship is in, keeping everyone out of the elevators is a good idea to keep people from getting lost, injured or killed in unexplored parts of the ship.

kwlafayette
June 10th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Another thing I noticed, rewatching part one. Near the end, Eli and Chloe are in a hallway somewhere. It appears that life support is on, because they have that "cool mist" floating down from the ceiling behind them.