PDA

View Full Version : Telford (no spoilers for 1.20 or beyond, please)

DigiFluid
June 4th, 2010, 08:15 PM
So now Telford is aboard Destiny.

What are we guessing his odds are? Does he survive, and LDP joins the cast of the show? Or does he die?

jelgate
June 4th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Recurring simliar to Ming Na's character in S2. I don't think they will kill him

Pharaoh Atem
June 4th, 2010, 08:19 PM
So now Telford is aboard Destiny.

What are we guessing his odds are? Does he survive, and LDP joins the cast of the show? Or does he die?

he'll be around as recurring he and scott will probably be leading the off world missions

the fifth man
June 4th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I think it is 50/50 on whether or not he survives Part 2 next week.

Gollumpus
June 4th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I'd be surprised if they killed him off, at least any time soonish. I suspect they'll keep him around for additional pressure on Young. He'll be useful for story lines which involve Wray wanting to use him to gain control of Destiny by splitting the military. I look for James to defect to Telford.

regards,
G.

s09119
June 4th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Recurring simliar to Ming Na's character in S2. I don't think they will kill him

That'd be my guess.

major davis
June 4th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I think he'll hang around.... LDPs tweets about being on set for S2.

Spimman
June 4th, 2010, 08:24 PM
They've kept him around this long, I think he'll end up surviving. The odd thing is I'm excited about it, I have really despised his character to this point in the show but all the sudden I hope they keep LDP.

DigiFluid
June 4th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I don't think that means a lot in itself, the show's been pretty liberal in its use of flashbacks and hallucinations.

Gollumpus
June 4th, 2010, 08:26 PM

It could just mean that Telford gets killed off in episode one... :P

I would hope he hangs around longer.

regards,
G.

Pharaoh Atem
June 4th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I don't think that means a lot in itself, the show's been pretty liberal in its use of flashbacks and hallucinations.

but telford flashbacks wouldn't really service the story in season 2 we already know why he wants to be on destiny and how we betrayed earth. the only logical conclusion is that he's now a member of the destiny crew

Spimman
June 4th, 2010, 08:30 PM
The thread title asks everyone not to spoil it with S2 information, spoiler tags would be appropriate...I read them, but a lot of people in this thread likely don't.

DigiFluid
but telford flashbacks wouldn't really service the story in season 2 we already know why he wants to be on destiny and how we betrayed earth. the only logical conclusion is that he's now a member of the destiny crew
That's awfully limited, I'm ashamed of you PA ;)

It doesn't have to be related to why he wants to be on Destiny (though that could still use more fleshing out IMO). It could be for any number of things; expanding on the time spent at Icarus (they are filming in New Mexico again), maybe Young being haunted by what Telford might've done with Emily, perhaps some of the Destiny crew reminiscing over their social relationship with him. Any number of things. This is fiction! :)

Pharaoh Atem
The thread title asks everyone not to spoil it with S2 information, spoiler tags would be appropriate...I read them, but a lot of people in this thread likely don't.

im speculating

spinny magee
June 4th, 2010, 08:32 PM
It's hard to say at this point, although I hope he stays, I really see no hope.

Spimman
June 4th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I didn't refer to a specific comment
Mentioning tweets from the set of S2 isnt speculation.

Lahela
June 4th, 2010, 11:13 PM
They've kept him around this long, I think he'll end up surviving. The odd thing is I'm excited about it, I have really despised his character to this point in the show but all the sudden I hope they keep LDP.

Ditto.

And ditto again.

I'd really like to see him survive and insist on power-sharing, partly because I think he'd be better leader (assuming he's actually the good guy that Young keeps saying he used to be) and partly because of the dynamic that would bring. He and Young are equal in rank, are they not?

EllieVee
June 4th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I'd really like to see him survive and insist on power-sharing, partly because I think he'd be better leader (assuming he's actually the good guy that Young keeps saying he used to be) and partly because of the dynamic that would bring. He and Young are equal in rank, are they not?

I think if two people are equal in rank, it then goes on seniority. It would be hilarious if Telford is senior to Young.

Lahela
June 4th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I think if two people are equal in rank, it then goes on seniority. It would be hilarious if Telford is senior to Young.

Given Telford was supposed to lead the away team from Icarus in the first place, I would imagine that would give him some leverage.

pipi
June 5th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I want him to stay, so him and Greer can bump heads again. :)

EllieVee
June 5th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Given Telford he was supposed to lead the away team from Icarus in the first place, I would imagine that would give him some leverage.

I said very early on that Telford would probably be easier to deal with than Young.

garhkal
June 5th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Too true.. he might be easier to deal with. BUT i would like to know if Gen Oneill would even want him to be in charge.

Wildrose-Wally
June 5th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Young will be in charge of the dayshift, while Telford commands the night shift.

Stormtrooper
June 5th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I'm guessing Young, Telford or Wray will bite the dust. The last thing Destiny needs is more headbutting among senior personnel.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if Telford took command of Destiny since Young has been nothing but an uninspired, unstable, self-doubting CO.

yanna
June 5th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I'd love to see Telford relieve Young of command. Young has shown time and again that he's unfit.

jelgate
June 5th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I'd love to see Telford relieve Young of command. Young has shown time and again that he's unfit.

And Telford is?

Major_Griff
June 5th, 2010, 09:14 AM
If Telford survives and becomes a regular or regular recurring character, I can't see him being put in charge. A: He just got brainwashed and helped the LA. B: we could argue over which officers would go with Telford or Young in a power struggle, but even if the military is 50-50 and Telford has the civilians, Young has Greer. My money's on Young.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 5th, 2010, 10:41 AM
with so many things on SGU, it's really hard to call on what the show will do; they don't seem to follow all the usual expected storylines. Young is in charge because people will follow him. Would they follow Telford if he stayed on board? Hard to say, but I think that, no matter what some posters have said, Young definitely has earned the trust of a good many people on board the Destiny and taking back the ship is likely to cement that. I can't see the writers changing leadership so suddenly and I really hope they don't

JustAnotherVoice
June 5th, 2010, 01:13 PM
There are already too many characters for too little screen time. Ming Na shouldn't have been repromoted to the main credits, and LDP shouldn't be forced to compete with the already numerous main cast for his slice of the pie.

The best case scenario, imo, is that Telford will get wounded and out of action, relegating him to a bed ridden guest spot until they clear away some of the chaff.

DigiFluid
June 5th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I love that SGU has a huge supporting cast.

JustAnotherVoice
June 5th, 2010, 03:57 PM

The overly large supporting cast is the biggest weakness, imo. Don't you feel some of the characters are just shoehorned in just because it's on their contracts?

SGU in season 1 already has 7.5/8 main credits (not too sure on Ming Na, since she was recurring in the first half of the season), in addition to the likes of James, Brody, Volker, Park AND actual guest stars. Too many characters get lost in the shuffle for my liking.

Major_Griff
June 5th, 2010, 03:59 PM
The overly large supporting cast is the biggest weakness, imo. Don't you feel some of the characters are just shoehorned in just because it's on their contracts?

SGU in season 1 already has 7.5/8 main credits (not too sure on Ming Na, since she was recurring in the first half of the season), in addition to the likes of James, Brody, Volker, Park AND actual guest stars. Too many characters get lost in the shuffle for my liking.

On one hand I like the big cast, but on the other hand I wish Greer could get more screen time.

JustAnotherVoice
June 5th, 2010, 04:07 PM
On one hand I like the big cast, but on the other hand I wish Greer could get more screen time.

My point exactly. Too little screentime/character development time to go around.

An actor of LDP's calibre shouldn't be added to the cast full time if he's just going to be shuffling about in the background with the other mooks. Maybe a Ming Na like contract where he gets a decent billing only if he's involved heavily in a storyline, but not a full time contract. Either way will deprive the already under developed characters, but I could live with keeping fringe characters fringe, or doing less with Rush/Young story for the next season.

DigiFluid
June 5th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Not in the least, no.

garhkal
June 6th, 2010, 03:04 AM
I wonder if Telford would take over in the interrim, if Young was killed or put out of action for a while by the LA.

Kanten
June 6th, 2010, 03:27 AM

As long as they don't end up going the Lost route and killing them all off at the beginning of a season to cut costs.

TheHomegaMan
June 6th, 2010, 12:21 PM

Gotta disagree here. By Carter's initial count in Air, there were 80+ MIA from Icarus. That's a large number of people on Destiny. Should the show act like there are only 5-10 actual people on the ship while the rest just pop in and out?

The fact that the supporting cast does more than simply feed lines or ideas to the main cast is a great way to bring the experience to life.

eonflux
June 6th, 2010, 04:20 PM
There are already too many ppl on the cast. No need for another useless character contributing to the drama. And seriously anyone being brainwashed doesn't deserve a command post any time soon.

My bet is he will die with the rest of the LA

I can't believe it ending up in some kind alliance with some remaining LA ppl. Just can't.

JustAnotherVoice
June 6th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Gotta disagree here. By Carter's initial count in Air, there were 80+ MIA from Icarus. That's a large number of people on Destiny. Should the show act like there are only 5-10 actual people on the ship while the rest just pop in and out?

Yes. They did it with Wray for the first half of the season, until they started to actually use her for the mutiny storyline. I don't see why the other suplerfluous cast members can't be reduced until they're actually using them for something useful for the plot.

There have been times where Blue, Levesque, Huffman, Na, hell, everyone except Ferreira and Carlyle seemed to have been shoehorned into the episode and take away screentime from the actual plot, even if they only steal 30 seconds a piece (and that's only the names on the main credits).

The fact that the supporting cast does more than simply feed lines or ideas to the main cast is a great way to bring the experience to life.

A rich supporting cast is fine, but in an ensemble of 8, stories that only focus on 2 or 3 make everyone else glorified extras. Hammond and Landry are great supporting characters, as were Keller and Beckett (and begrugingly, Weir). They had stories given to them, and roles to play, but in 15 seasons, 312 episodes, how many were given to them? 10-11 combined? How will this play out with nearly everyone on the main credits filling this "supporting" role? There have already been rumblings that characters aren't memorable or comparatively underdeveloped, and it'll only get worse as SGU becomes Stargate: Carlyle and Ferreira, with Na and LDP.

Just my opinion.

Pharaoh Atem
June 6th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I said very early on that Telford would probably be easier to deal with than Young.

plus as telford said early on he would be more focused on getting everyone home.

GateroomGuard
June 6th, 2010, 07:37 PM
plus as telford said early on he would be more focused on getting everyone home.

So anyone want to place bets on how long until Rush frames Telford for murder?

Major_Griff
June 7th, 2010, 06:26 PM
So anyone want to place bets on how long until Rush frames Telford for murder?

Lolz, he might do worse, I have a feeling based off of their scene in Earth that Rush dislikes Telford even more than he does Young.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 7th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Lolz, he might do worse, I have a feeling based off of their scene in Earth that Rush dislikes Telford even more than he does Young.

I got the feeling that quite a few of the scientists weren't that fond of Telford

Major_Griff
June 7th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I got the feeling that quite a few of the scientists weren't that fond of Telford

How so? I didn't really pick that up.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 7th, 2010, 06:35 PM
How so? I didn't really pick that up.

It comes mostly in later episodes when Telford returns to the Destiny. Just in the way he barks at them (which seems different than the way that Young barks at them, :lol: ). Then you've got Brody who was willing to work with Young to not only get Telford off the ship (Darkness, I believe) and later on, to deal with Telford in the most recent episode. It's a general feeling, something completely subjective and body language related that probably doesn't translate well to descibing in a post like this one.

Major_Griff
June 7th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I see. Well I got the feeling that everyone was against Telford in Darkness/Light just cause of how bad that plan was. You could be right though.

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 7th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I see. Well I got the feeling that everyone was against Telford in Darkness/Light just cause of how bad that plan was. You could be right though.

you could be right too, from what Eli says, it was an awful plan :)
Body language is a hard thing to guage anything by. It just comes across as a feeling that you get from them, from everyone that has to deal with him.