PDA

View Full Version : Serious Jack

eliteaceman
June 4th, 2010, 07:07 PM
No jokes from jack.... you know things are serious.

Pharaoh Atem
June 4th, 2010, 07:09 PM
No jokes from jack.... you know things are serious.

joking jack would be boring after all these years. i love the more serious tone

s09119
June 4th, 2010, 07:10 PM

Agreed. He still has his funny moments, but he's the new Hammond, you know? He can't be the one who makes light of everything when so many lives are in his hands constantly.

randomking
June 4th, 2010, 07:29 PM
he has to be "so serous" in his position....if he cant make the tough desishons he would be fired then he would have to go find a lake to drink and fish on all the time...o wait

the fifth man
June 4th, 2010, 07:42 PM
This was a very serious situation, and it was nice to see Jack acting accordingly.

major davis
June 4th, 2010, 07:43 PM
It was great to see him serious I agree. :)

the fifth man
June 4th, 2010, 07:46 PM
It was great to see him serious I agree. :)

Jack is great at both being serious and funny. This just wasn't the time for funny.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
June 4th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Jack is great at both being serious and funny. This just wasn't the time for funny.

no it wasn't. and i think Jack is more capable of giving Young a more serious dressing down given how angry he can get in the sg-1 episodes.

Tielster
June 4th, 2010, 08:14 PM
My only issue is that if Jack was in Young's position and that was any of his team in the Gateroom about to be vented... no way Jack would have pushed that button. Leave no-one behind seems to have left the Gateroom!! But I DO love the balance of serious and levity Jack.

_SocraticMethod
June 4th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I completely agree. It was great to see him hunker down and be serious in this episode. As much as I love Jack's irreverent side, I dislike it a lot when his character gets reduced to a caricature (much like we saw in "Subversion" and even in S8)... there's a lot more to this man than silly remarks. Anyone who has seen SG-1 knows that. I *especially* enjoyed his tough-love pep-talk to Col. Young. It was good see RDA bring his game face.

(All of that being said... the "that brings back memories" remark was a fun line, well done and well placed, IMO. :))

DigiFluid
June 4th, 2010, 08:32 PM
This was a very serious situation, and it was nice to see Jack acting accordingly.
Agreed!

jelgate
June 4th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Does knowone remember the pyramid joke?

smart
June 4th, 2010, 08:42 PM
It seemed to be appropriate for his more serious and leadership role as a head of Homeworld Command, especially given the seriousness of how Destiny was under real threat of being compromised.

s09119
June 4th, 2010, 08:43 PM

Something about a power signature coming from a pyramid. Then Jack goes "A pyramid? Oh, that takes me back..."

I laughed. Sooooo hard.

Pharaoh Atem
June 4th, 2010, 08:44 PM
young: the LA made it to destiny

Jack: im hungry....

yea serious jack is better

Pharaoh Atem
June 4th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Something about a power signature coming from a pyramid. Then Jack goes "A pyramid? Oh, that takes me back..."

I laughed. Sooooo hard.

yea that's the line.

Tuvok
June 4th, 2010, 09:00 PM

The guy used to be the go to guy for black ops back in the day. And remember what happened to that racist that met the Iris. For all his jokes, behind his smile there is a very dangerous soldier..

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
June 4th, 2010, 09:05 PM
The guy used to be the go to guy for black ops back in the day. And remember what happened to that racist that met the Iris. For all his jokes, behind his smile there is a very dangerous soldier..

yeah Jack has his funny side and his serious/black ops side.

Cory Holmes
June 4th, 2010, 09:08 PM
There's the side of him that ruthlessly blasted Reese the android, even after she deactivated her "toys". For such an irreverent character, scenes like that, and his tough-love lecture of Young, really add needed depth.

Krisz
June 4th, 2010, 09:23 PM
It was good to see Jack acting appropriately. Reminded us that he can make those tough decisions and we jolly well know he's made them in the past.

Great use of him in SGU, I've really enjoyed seeing him again, seeing him in his role as the one who is definitely in charge. :)

GateroomGuard
June 4th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I would have liked to see Jack stone to Destiny for negotiations with Kiva. I mean Jack "System Lord Killing, Replicator Destroying" O'Neill would definitely make Kiva and LA feel worried.

Eternal Density
June 4th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Serious Jack is great and very appropriate, but I also enjoyed the pyramid line, I was actually hoping he'd say something like that when the pyramid was mentioned :D :D

Zatnikitelman
June 4th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I too enjoyed O'Neill in this episode. Frankly, it shows him really getting into his job as director of Homeworld Security (I'm still thinking Homeworld Command is just that facility in the Pentagon). His joking ways are always fun and refreshing to see, but it's always refreshing to see his serious side and remind us that he IS the man (reference to S8E2 when Weir informed him of his promotion).

Tyjos
June 4th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I liked his Serious Attitude in this episode as well, was a perfect part I think added too it....cause really I think that situation didn't really need any jokes.

-I'm sure the writers if they had to make a Jack O'Neill joke moment would have put some in there-

MattSilver 3k
June 4th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I've got no problem with it, though you know that there'll be cries of character derailment somewhere in the internets...

_SocraticMethod
June 4th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I've got no problem with it, though you know that there'll be cries of character derailment somewhere in the internets...

Sad but true. Though the fact of the matter is, Jack was serious when he had to be in SG1! People forget about episodes like "The Other Side" (closing the iris on Alar), the very end of WoO ("I LOST MY SON!"), "Abyss" ("Daniel. You have to end this.")...

meo3000
June 4th, 2010, 11:03 PM
And i dont know if anyone noticed, but Jack is a Lieutenant General now. Those stars are looking good with the gray hair.

Lahela
June 4th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Loved hard-core Jack. The little pyramid joke was fine under the circumstances, but when he needed to be serious, he was deadly serious. I much preferred this appearance to Subversion.

Azzers
June 4th, 2010, 11:46 PM
I think I like the mix. I don't think he needs to be super serious, nor do I think he needs to be a one man comedy extraveganza. However, with either missing (the soldier or the comic) the charecter is wrong IMO. The only exception is when you have him for one scene to do only one thing. In which case, sure... just have him do one thing.

pipi
June 5th, 2010, 01:45 AM
I like the new Jack too. He can't be goofy forever.

EllieVee
June 5th, 2010, 01:51 AM
I like the new Jack too. He can't be goofy forever.

This isn't the new Jack.

pipi
June 5th, 2010, 01:58 AM
This isn't the new Jack.

He is to me.

EllieVee
June 5th, 2010, 01:58 AM
He is to me.

Ah, you didn't watch SG-1?

pipi
June 5th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Ah, you didn't watch SG-1?

I have watched it a while ago. O'neal's personality this episode confirms a distinctively different personality as he was known for in the early days of SG-1. Even when he made General, he was still a bit comical, so now he's gotten fatter and comfortable in his role.

jmoz
June 5th, 2010, 02:29 AM
I find the seriousness over the top and silly. So sue me. Yeah, I get it, you guys enjoy seriousness instead, ok.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
June 5th, 2010, 02:45 AM
I would have liked to see Jack stone to Destiny for negotiations with Kiva. I mean Jack "System Lord Killing, Replicator Destroying" O'Neill would definitely make Kiva and LA feel worried.

I think if General O'Neill did that Kiva wouldn't care. she would be like "oh the great General Jack O'Neill. your the one that helped destroy the goa'uld. Thanks a lot" and jack wouldve shot her if jack reverted to his shoot first ask questions later method.

garhkal
June 5th, 2010, 06:41 AM
While i liked how he was to Young, i would like to know how he would have enforced the "if you don't do it, i will have to get someone who will" statement.

Major_Griff
June 5th, 2010, 09:03 AM
While i liked how he was to Young, i would like to know how he would have enforced the "if you don't do it, i will have to get someone who will" statement.

Stones.

Any way. I liked Jack in this ep. As others have said he had a serious side in SG-1 as well. Even though he was always quick to quip in the face of imminent danger, he also knew when to get serious so seeing him serious isn't like a shock or anything.

I would have loved to see Kiva's reaction to coming face to face with the great General O'Neill, lolz, but it was not to be.

TheHomegaMan
June 5th, 2010, 09:11 AM

Speaking of, when do we get new over-dramatization awards? I've missed them...

thekillman
June 5th, 2010, 09:16 AM
this is jack in "people are in trouble and need to be saved" mode. similar to Scorched Earth. also similar to his "You *******" mode, as seen in The Other Side for example. i like this mode.

RJLCyberPunk
June 5th, 2010, 09:22 AM
It was good to see Jack acting appropriately. Reminded us that he can make those tough decisions and we jolly well know he's made them in the past.

Great use of him in SGU, I've really enjoyed seeing him again, seeing him in his role as the one who is definitely in charge. :)

Yep even in SG-1 he wasn't always funny and got serious when he had too.

thekillman
June 5th, 2010, 09:37 AM
he laughs in the face of danger, even when it's inappropriate. but when his own people are about to die, he pulls the trigger on his enemies

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 5th, 2010, 09:51 AM

I liked seeing a very serious Jack as well. Sure, jokes are great, when the mood applies, but I wouldn't think much of someone cracking wise when things were very serious and an underling has just come to you in need of support. Young needed Jack to be serious, and he was serious. It was perfectly played, IMO

Morganrone93
June 5th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Is RDA getting thinner aswell? At the first eps he had lost his fitness because of that injury he had, now he seems to be getting back to hes former self. Maybe I just got used to how he looks now, because I went from SG-1 to Atlantis to SG-1 and then jumped to SGU, probably wasnt expecting such a drastic change, heh.

Hes great no matter what, he rocks :).

xxxevilgrinxxx
June 5th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Is RDA getting thinner aswell? At the first eps he had lost his fitness because of that injury he had, now he seems to be getting back to hes former self. Maybe I just got used to how he looks now, because I went from SG-1 to Atlantis to SG-1 and then jumped to SGU, probably wasnt expecting such a drastic change, heh.

Hes great no matter what, he rocks :).

come on, everybody knows that black is slimming :p

Egle01
June 5th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Loved hard-core Jack. The little pyramid joke was fine under the circumstances, but when he needed to be serious, he was deadly serious. I much preferred this appearance to Subversion.My thoughts exactly. :)

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
June 5th, 2010, 01:35 PM
to me Jack O'Neill is Jack O'Neill whether he's taking a p90 to a bunch of Jaffa or replicators or being funny and sarcastic or giving Colonel Young a Dressing down. he's still the same man we got to know and enjoy watching every friday for 8 years.

Tielster
June 5th, 2010, 04:13 PM

Oh yes. It was grand :)

Optimus Chekov
June 5th, 2010, 05:10 PM
It's good. I mean as funny as Jack is on the show and how he can get away with some downright silly things. I remarked to someone that he almost appears to be the least effective General in almost any show I've watched. He got pulled by Young to go his way in dealing with Telford, lost his tea bag, talked about how 'special' he is and some other silly things. Now he looks better!