Destinys Shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destinys Shield

Something about the shield... in Divided, Rush put all the power that he possible could into the shields ya.. and even with that.. the blues weapons fire was quite a match for them... Yet when its running low on power it has no problem flying into a sun, yet a 304 with ZPM boosted shields has trouble dealing with that coronal mass ejection..

Any thoughts?
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Think of energy weapons like bullets, they are designed to kill, damage or disable. More advanced bullets will send shrapnel through your body, or make a hole on the other side of your body. I'm sure the BA weapons were designed to penetrate shields while the sun is just heat and energy with no ill intent and Destiny was designed to fly into stars and recharge itself.
    sigpic

Comment

Well, either was the blues weapons as or more power full then a stars corona, or Destiny's shields where designed for entering stars, and not that much into fighting..
      sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Good point... though aren't the energy weapon just blasts of plasma? like that of a sun?

Comment

Thief.

Comment

lol who knows. It's all sci fi.

As has been said most projectile weapons are designed to penetrate with ithe force focused on a certain point, whether it be a bullet or some completely fictional energy weapon.

It's like if i were to i dunno swing a blunt hammer at a piece of wood it probably wouldn't penetrate it as its spread over a wider area, if i were to replace that hammer with a sharp pointy tool of some kind , chances are it would penetrate the wood allot more effectively.

Tbh though it's sci fi, im sure the writers aren't top notch physicists lol so it's all going to vary depending upon the plot and convenience.

Comment

When Destiny flies into a star, it probably taps into the heat/radiation and uses it to temporarily boost the shields while collecting hydrogen. Since the whole surface gets exposed, the boost is massive. The space dolphin weapons either do different damage, or are too weak to help the shield.

Comment

maybe the sun is more spread energy while weapons fire is concentrated on one area. that and while in a star the shields are being charged by the star itself.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                  maybe the sun is more spread energy while weapons fire is concentrated on one area. that and while in a star the shields are being charged by the star itself.
                  Bingo
                  sigpic

Comment

I believe the real reason why it is like this is just because the shield is powered by the star so it can hold that heat and radiation. The energy is maybe not enough to dial Earth, but it is enough to power the shield against the heat. There's basically "infinite" power to do it....I think I've seen this on JM's blog too, but I don't have a link.

They are coming...Smurfs!

Comment

I am pretty sure they simply did not think about it too hard. They needed a refueling source, they Googled "most abundant element in the universe", and came up with the star refueling method.

The shields have been very inconsistent. They can keep star out, but can't contain atmosphere. Sometimes they stop things from penetrating, sometimes they don't, and there does not appear to be much rhyme or reason to it. The blue aliens attached a tracking device to the hull, apparently without much trouble. Also, it appeared their ships were able to tag along, we saw that one leaving in an early episode.

Comment

Originally posted by kwlafayette View Post
                        I am pretty sure they simply did not think about it too hard. They needed a refueling source, they Googled "most abundant element in the universe", and came up with the star refueling method.

The shields have been very inconsistent. They can keep star out, but can't contain atmosphere. Sometimes they stop things from penetrating, sometimes they don't, and there does not appear to be much rhyme or reason to it. The blue aliens attached a tracking device to the hull, apparently without much trouble. Also, it appeared their ships were able to tag along, we saw that one leaving in an early episode.
                        Whats with the hate for tptb? you really seem to dislike them... the shields were clearly designed for dealing with stars, and as someone said above the ship is being charged as its entering sun so that would keep it functional

And I don't think the tracking device was attached to the hull so much as it was attached to the shields themselves... if it was attached to the hull then they could have cut a hole and boarded the ship

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                          Thief.
                          Dave in all fairness you weren't going to post this here, infact you wouldn't even be on gateworld if it weren't for me... Im going to text you now to tell you I replied, also sorry about that frape earlier

Comment

I said I was going to post it! And I don't agree with the statement that when inside a star the destructive forces are more spread out. Being inside a star is the equivalent of every inch of the shield being hit with a nuclear warhead, thousands/millions of them (depends on the number of nuclear fusion reactions taking place in the vicinity of the ships shields and Destiny is a big ship) each second for the whole time Destiny is inside the star.

And while the blue aliens are advanced they don't appear more advanced than other races that have appeared in the franchise so the idea that they have ship mounted weapons more powerful than a star is a little outlandish.

Which leaves the idea that Destiny's shields are better equipped to handle the destructive forces of a nuclear explosion than whatever the hell the blue aliens are firing at it. Maybe designed that way to function as an energy harvester...

Comment

The shields have been very inconsistent.
                              That's because it can be configured to act differently.

In Divided they purposefully reduced the power to it to be able to send a kino and then people through it.

RUSH (into radio): Mr Brody? Please dial back the tensile strength of the ship.

(In the Control Interface Room, Adam Brody lifts his own radio.)

BRODY (into radio): Roger that.

(He gets to work on a console. In the corridor, the Kino floats towards another bulkhead which opens in front of it. It floats towards a hole left in the ship's hull by one of the alien fighters. Although there is a forcefield over the hole, it apparently doesn't stop anything slow-moving and the Kino moves through the hole and soars out into space, floating along close to the hull. Eli watches its progress.)
                              And in Faith because they were not traveling through FTL and had more power at their disposal Rush increased power to the shields to explore more of the ship.

RUSH: While Destiny's engines are offline, I'd like to use the extra power to strengthen the shield, maybe explore some damaged areas in the ship, possibly make some repairs.

YOUNG (over radio): Reclaim some real estate.

RUSH: Exactly.
                              They can keep star out, but can't contain atmosphere.
                              A star is very different to some atmosphere - both in how it interact with the shield and how the shields responds.

An analogy: a goa'uld personal shield will stop energy weapons like zats and staff weapons without a problem, the same with bullets - high velocity - a lot of kinetic energy. However a slow knife being thrown will pass undetected.

Similarly, charged particles (plasma) are a lot easier to detect and/or deflect. Besides, Destiny's shields were specifically designed to resist the kind of abuse you get inside stars so it's logical that they'd work most efficiently in that environment. They're also constantly reinforced because Destiny draws power from that medium.

Sometimes they stop things from penetrating, sometimes they don't, and there does not appear to be much rhyme or reason to it.
                              Everything about shield operation happened for a reason and has been explained, it all makes sense. You need to pay more attention, just because there are gaps in your memory doesn't mean that the same error is present in the show.

The blue aliens attached a tracking device to the hull, apparently without much trouble. Also, it appeared their ships were able to tag along, we saw that one leaving in an early episode.
                              Just like in Space the ship must have attached itself to a section where the shield was weaker/temporarily down.
                              Also ran into Exec. Producer Robert Cooper who took me to task for not providing the correct answer to the question: “How were the aliens able to penetrate the shield?” in episode 11, Space. The correct answer: They were able to penetrate the shield because the area they land on is unshielded. Moments earlier, Lieutenant James cuts power to that section in order to save the lives of those trapped in the corridor, unwittingly giving the aliens their opening. So there ya go.
                              http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...s-we-go-vegan/
                              Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Working...
                              X