Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Communication Stones: Temporary imprint or constant broadcast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Communication Stones: Temporary imprint or constant broadcast?

Warning: many spoilers lie below just waiting to ruin your enjoyment of missed episodes...

I origionally posted this on the SGWiki but no-one seemed to have an answer so I post the question to the wider audience here at Gateworld

"Since they were first seen, there has been two possible ways that the stones work:

* 1. (CB) They broadcast the signals sent from the brain to the nervous system of the origninal user to the other user, and transmit the other user's senses back to the original user. The consciousness is always processed by it's original brain.
    * 2. (TI) The conciousness of the user is temporarily transmitted to the other user and vica-versa and processed by new host's brain. Perhaps a signal from the stones keeps the new consciousness imprinted and then once the signal stops it just plops away.

Question is, which one is it?

Unfortunatly I can see arguments for and against both possibilities. With the CB method, if you drank alcohol in someone elses body then they should feel the effects in your body, not you in theirs, as it would be interfering with their brain and not yours. Also, on Subversion, when Rush (in Telford's body) was stunned, Telford in Rush's body stayed fine, which he shouldn't have done if Telford's mind was being processed by his own brain. This is contradicted when Telford is knocked unconcious by suffocation in Rush's body and both of them feel the effects. But the problem with the TI method is that once you disconnected the stones (or when the LRCD was instantly destroyed like on Avalon), the person still has all the memories of being in the other's body, but if the device was instantly destroyed then they should just wake up remembering nothing since they left. Unless there is some sort of memory update every few seconds or so...

Anyway, the implications of the TI method would be that if you used the stones, it would actually be you doing everything the other person does, your soul but as another person and with no memory afterwards. You would never actually be in the other person's body, you would just gain memories of them doing everything they did based on your personality. Thaughts?"

Also, do you think it actually would "kill" the person on the other side of the stones if one of them died?
    Last edited by sman789; 01 June 2010, 08:32 AM.

no evidence to support it but I tend to be of the whole consciousness sort of thing. Suspension of disbelief is a wonderful thing

I know that we ended up with some very serious answers and discussion on this thread, if you're interested.
    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I've only read the first three quarters of the first page, but they seem to go with the constant broadcast approach. Now that I think about it, when Vala gets scared in random Ori lady's body her own brain causes her heart rate to go up, which also supports the CB theory. I do think the writers need to take more care over this kind of thing...

Comment

Originally posted by sman789 View Post
        I've only read the first three quarters of the first page, but they seem to go with the constant broadcast approach. Now that I think about it, when Vala gets scared in random Ori lady's body her own brain causes her heart rate to go up, which also supports the CB theory. I do think the writers need to take more care over this kind of thing...
        sometimes a story can really bog down in minutiae though and while it's interesting for us to bat the theories back and forth, unless it's something that furthers the plot (like the current glitches with the stones or the general SGU feel regarding the stones which is that they're trouble, like we're playing with something we shouldn't), then the story should continue and we should accept it, much like we accept the stargate itself or any of a number of other things. But off-show, yeah, it's fascinating to think about these things.
        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

...niether

Comment

How's about it is a combo of both.

Comment

It's a continuous broadcast. As soon as the Links dies, both recipients are restored to their respective bodies.

Originally posted by sman789
              Harris and Sallis where the Ori galaxy recipients for Daniel's and Vala's conscience.
              The elevation of Vala's heart rate may be explained do to lack of a subject being hosted in her body.
              sigpic
              - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Well, going off but related topic, I just can't see how they work because of relative time.

The Destiny is billions of light years away from earth.

That means anybody they communicate with are probably long gone unless those stones have some capability to ignore the problems of relative time.

Comment

Unless the 'subspace link' is not concerned with the distance.

Comment

It seems to be different from the Machello device that swapped minds and didnt require a constant connection. It must require a constant projection and reception.

Comment

I really think they must require a constant broadcast.... everything we've seen so far about the killing someone on one side etc seems to point to that, and to Galileo_Galilee its sci-fi so things don't have to make sense lol but we know the ancients loved wormhole technology so perhaps the device is capable of creating a microscopic wormhole for transmitting
                      I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Working...
                      X