PDA

View Full Version : Frank Herbert's Dune : Books & Movies Discussion/Appreciation

May 17th, 2004, 10:17 PM
I guess you know what I'm talkin about? But for those who don't get...I'm talking about The Dune, original movie, made in 80s... and Sci-Fi's minisiriese Frank Herbert's Dune and Frank Herbert's Children Of Dune... So the questions are... Are you a fan? What can you share? Did you like the movie and/or the minisiries? What did you not like? What about the books?

I'm not a big fan of the Dune, but a fan. I loved the movie when I first saw it like 10/12 years ago... And then I found out about FH's Dune, got that...and last year, i think, FH's CoD came out...I liked them...the only thing I didn't like were the flyers and closes...too unfuturistic imho... And I think some parts in FH's Dune are a lilttle boring... FH's Cod is better! I once tried to read the book, but it was too hard, just didn't get it...I'm going to try again this summer...

Anyway...is Sci-Fi going to make another minisiries? Because as far as I know there is one more story to go...right? Did I miss anythig, lol?

Champos
May 17th, 2004, 10:20 PM
I've never seen either the film nor the mini-series, but the books were good. I need to read them again sometime, that's if I can remember what order they're supposed to go in...

joshing123
May 18th, 2004, 08:45 AM
I actually watched (and almost understood) the first movie before I ever read the book. I mentioned it to a friend who gave me the book which I read in like 2 days and have read pretty much once a year since. I've read the sequels as well as the prequels and enjoy them, but nothing compares to the first. I'm not even sure I can explain why I like it so much because there are so many reasons.

And I did enjoy the movie (which really needed to be longer) and the mini-series. I had some nitpicks in both, but overall I think they did pretty good by the book story-wise. Especially the mini-series, but that may be because they had more time.

May 18th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Oh one thing I remember is the soundtrack to the mini-sirieses...they were good, however FH's CoD Soundtrack is better, and I have it...enjoy it, a lot!!!

David
May 18th, 2004, 07:25 PM
the only thing I didn't like were the flyers ...too unfuturistic imho...

Not to mention un-aerodynamically sound. My dad is a pilot and it sends shivers through him when he sees the Thopters. "That's not real! That can't work!"

May 18th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Yeah there are problems...but they are compinsted by the ideas and acting...and the whole movie...it's just good...technology becomes less important when you look at the story..that's why i like it

David
May 18th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Inama Nushif, the theme to Children of Dune, is phenomonal. I bought the cd and had it playing practically 24/7 for a long time.

TechnoBoY
May 19th, 2004, 03:15 PM
The books go.
Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse: Dune

I read them last year before Children of Dune. The books rocked!

SGSlugger
May 19th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Inama Nushif, the theme to Children of Dune, is phenomonal. I bought the cd and had it playing practically 24/7 for a long time.

Agreed. I have my CD player setup to wake me up with that. :D

Dune from the 80's was pretty cool. But everytime I see that little Alia I get freaked out...along with Patrick Stewart with hair at the end.

FH:Dune was okay, some parts good, others were all right. CoD nailed it pretty good, and that is my favorite of all the movies/miniseries.

As far as a new miniseries, I would like to see one, but God Emporer of Dune would be rather hard, as it is mostly in Leto II's thoughts. But Heretics and Chapter house would be good.

David
May 19th, 2004, 03:41 PM
With the way the series has been doing I'm pretty sure we will see more, which is fine on my end!

I was asleep halfway into the Dune movie :S.

May 19th, 2004, 08:37 PM

Agreed. I have my CD player setup to wake me up with that.
Well you are not the only onse... :D I love that song so badly... you probably can imagine :o

With the way the series has been doing I'm pretty sure we will see more, which is fine on my end!

I was asleep halfway into the Dune movie
Yep I'd like to see more series!!! And about the movie...I watched it like 4 times...it's a lilttle too long....but it's posible to sit trought it...Anyway I think I have it taped somewhere...gotta watch it!!!

Champos
May 19th, 2004, 09:33 PM
The books go.
Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse: Dune

I read them last year before Children of Dune. The books rocked!

Hasn't Herbert's son or someone written some prequels as well, or did I imagine that? I'm sure I remeber seeing something like "The Butlerian Jihad" on a bookshelf somwhere...

joshing123
May 20th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Hasn't Herbert's son or someone written some prequels as well, or did I imagine that? I'm sure I remeber seeing something like "The Butlerian Jihad" on a bookshelf somwhere...

5 so far - the first 3 take place just before Dune and the other 2 (with one more forthcoming ) are set thousands of years in the past when they were fighting the thinking machines. They're pretty good.

I also read an interview with Brian Herbert saying that they plan to write another trilogy set after the original Dune series.

May 20th, 2004, 04:17 PM
What about thise "House of ... " series?? how many books are there???

KatG
May 21st, 2004, 05:47 AM
I read through Children of Dune in the early 80's. Thought the books were great. I really liked the motion picture, but hubs, who hadn't read the books, was a little lost, since they left quite a bit of background info out due to time constraints. Later when the director's cut was released, with all 4 hours of film, it was a much better movie IMO.

The miniseries on SciFi were well done too. It had the advantage of being able to stretch out the story and cover all the bases.

As for soundtracks, we wore out the one for the original. Of course that was back when we still used tapes. 8)

joshing123
May 21st, 2004, 08:54 AM
What about thise "House of ... " series?? how many books are there???

There were 3 House books - Atriedes, Harkonnen and Corrino (I'm not sure if that's the correct order). That was the first trilogy that takes place just prior to Dune.

The second trilogy is - The Machine Crusade, The Butlerian Jihad and Battle of Corrin (due out in Sept, I think). These take place like 10,000 years before Dune.

They're written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.

They're pretty good books.

TechnoBoY
May 24th, 2004, 07:14 PM
I really liked the House Trilogy, thought they were really good. The Legends, which is the second trilogy, I think pretty much suck. I only read them because I like all the backstory. None are as good as the original though. Frank Herbert and his son have totally different writing styles. Check out dunenovels.com for more info. You can also join this MSN Group called The Landsraad. I'm in it, lots of info and nice people.

Apparently Brian and Kevin are going to write a trilogy about Pauls young life on Caladan. Dunno how that can fill three books. I think their just trying to milk the fans for all their worth.

David
June 19th, 2004, 10:25 PM
Yep I'd like to see more series!!! And about the movie...I watched it like 4 times...it's a lilttle too long....but it's posible to sit trought it...Anyway I think I have it taped somewhere...gotta watch it!!!

My buddy and I brought in the year 2002 with the first miniseries. I'll admit, it was hard to watch the whole thing in one sitting, but we sure did it.

Elwe Singollo
June 20th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Was it just me, but did some of the actos talk weird, so weird that sometimes it would be almost impossible to understand? Or was that how the characters supposed to sound like?

TechnoBoY
June 21st, 2004, 06:05 AM
With the miniseries they got actors from all around. They all had different accents and it made the movie a little weird. At least until you got used to it.

Elwe Singollo
June 21st, 2004, 09:02 AM
Ic ic, i started to get used to it :) Haha..

June 22nd, 2004, 08:19 PM
My buddy and I brought in the year 2002 with the first miniseries. I'll admit, it was hard to watch the whole thing in one sitting, but we sure did it.
Yeah...it was hard for me too...some part were kinda boring...some parts are just great, and i love them. CoD was kinda less boring...I liked it more...or better! lol - english.

And yeah LittleOne...there are a lot of ppl with accents....but because I have an accent myself i didn't have much problems understanding ppl....however in some other movies...there are wierd accents....but Dunes are GREAT!

Elwe Singollo
June 22nd, 2004, 09:05 PM
I think its probably because i'm so not used to those accents that was used in the movie, haha...

June 26th, 2004, 09:36 PM
I was going to buy the original novel...and they didn't have it, they had bunch of other Dune books, but not the original...so I ordered it, and I'm going to pick it up in a week :D can't wait until i start reading it! Going to be the first time. Well second, I tried once before...didn't get it...now I'm smarter and hope to get it!

joshing123
June 28th, 2004, 08:14 AM
I was going to buy the original novel...and they didn't have it, they had bunch of other Dune books, but not the original...so I ordered it, and I'm going to pick it up in a week :D can't wait until i start reading it! Going to be the first time. Well second, I tried once before...didn't get it...now I'm smarter and hope to get it!

The original is still my favorite book ever - Dune or otherwise. I actually only read it to explain the movie (foolish me ignored the series for many years because I didn't feel like getting into 6 books).

AbydosTraveller
June 28th, 2004, 08:28 AM
I saw the original movie when I was five. When the miniseries came out, I noticed that the graphics were good, but it seems there are some holes that were explained in the original movie. SO I've picked up the book to see which movie is more like the book.

Does anyone know, considering I'm stuck doing required reading for school instead of finishing the book?

joshing123
June 29th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Does anyone know, considering I'm stuck doing required reading for school instead of finishing the book?

I think that while both tried to stay true to the original story, the miniseries is more encompassing of the book, largely due to time constraints and special effects ability (even if in the movie's extended-for-tv version it runs I think about 2 hours less). I don't like the movie's version of the weirding way nor the slight change to the ending. But I also hate the "desert" in the first miniseries.

June 29th, 2004, 03:33 PM
i was just reading an artical in russian about that. and both, movie and minisiries, went a little away from the original book. But Children Of Dune minisiries...got much close to the 2 books : Dune Messiah & Children of Dune ;)

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 10:18 PM
I'll just resurrect this Dune thread because I am a moderate fan of it.
I watched the two new miniseries in one day during a marathon on Space. That was a lot of Dune. I found Dune to be really bad, not as deep or interesting as the novel, but COD was much better however I would have liked it to be more COD than a COD/Dune Messiah hybrid.

Regarding the books. I found the series really picked up in the middle with Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune and Dune Heretics. All three of those were totally engrossing and interesting reads. Dune set up a good foundation for the series, but Messiah was just a bridge to the next generation of books. I haven't completed Chapterhouse Dune yet, but I have read enough to get the sense that it's not as great as Books 3,4,5.

rihannsu
July 9th, 2004, 07:23 AM
I think CoD was quite possibly the best mini-series I've ever seen. The actors were superb, the sets were more realistic (but they had their faults), and the costumes weren't as over the top as FH Dune.

That being said, there were several things that the mini changed from the books that I didn't like. I understood why they had to make the twins older, but the Faradin (sp?) was so different from the book character that I didn't like him. I think they downplayed his villan role to give Susan Sarandon a more meaty role.

As for the Lynch Dune movie, I grew up with it. It was my first impression of Dune and I have fond memories of it. Speaking of soundtracks, the one for this movie was AMAZING!! My dad bought it and we listened to it over and over.

AgentX
July 9th, 2004, 09:11 AM
That being said, there were several things that the mini changed from the books that I didn't like. I understood why they had to make the twins older, but the Faradin (sp?) was so different from the book character that I didn't like him. I think they downplayed his villan role to give Susan Sarandon a more meaty role.

Agreed. If I had a main beef with the miniseries that would be it.
I wonder if they are going to make the other books into mini's? I would like to see how they do God Emperor of Dune. Cart and all

David
July 10th, 2004, 06:16 AM
I think you can count on future Dune installments. The last two have done sufficiently well. Earthsea will be out this december, but I'm hoping for the next Dune chapter maybe Summer or Winter, '05.

July 13th, 2004, 04:06 PM
yeah...minisirieses are a little off the books, but FH'sCoD is much better than the 84s movie or the FH'sD, every1 agrees on that. The books....I just started reading Dune....loving it so far...and then I'm going to read the rest!!! So from what I'm reading here, it's gonna get even better, and that's what i thought. I'm actually trying to get FH'sCoD right now, so I can watch it again! And yeah, suposedly Frank Herbert's son and some editer are going to write the final Dune book, that's what I heard. And I'd be glad to see more TV/Movie versions of Dune!!!

August 7th, 2004, 11:27 AM
I'm gonna bring this threat up, because it's the only one, and I don't really want to make another one.

So...My DUNE coolection has been updated...I've got a lot of stuff now:
Dune (Original Book) - I'm still reading, beggining of the second chapter. Plan to buy Messiah and Children Of Dune
FH'sD (Director's Cut) and FH'sCoD on DVD :D - I'm going to watch them sometime!!! And now I can make lots of icons, avatars, sigs, wallpapers, etc....
And a lot of soundtracks cds: FH'sCoD, Dune The Game (first one), Dune 1984 Film, and Dune 2000 Game!!!

I'm really enjoying everything I have!!! And plan to get Linch's Director's Cut next, plus books, and may be more CDs if I see any!

LordAnubis
April 20th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Are the people from Dune actually from Earth, originally? Also, were there any true aliens in Dune, or just human variations? What kinda tech did they have? Hyperspace? Anyone know?

Darth Buddha
April 20th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Dude. Read the novels. Ignore the prequels and read the "origoinaL six by Frank Herbert first.

But to answer, yes, the people are from earth. Their tech involved Holtzman fields that allowed them to fold space and travel any distance instantaneously, but needed a Guild Navigaor to do so safely. They have shields, lasers, and a variety of nuclear weapons.

Their society is based on a drug, the spice, which has antigeriatric and consciousness expanding properties. It also causes forced evolution in Guild Navigators that grants them limited prescience when piloting a folding vessel.

Beyond that, I'd be giving too much away.

You might check out the "Dreamer's of Dune" forum.

Tain
April 20th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Yep, they are. They do not know where it is anymore though, or if it is even still around.

spg_1983
April 20th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Yep, they are. They do not know where it is anymore though, or if it is even still around.
actually earth was destroyed completely and utterly in nuclear holocaust at the beggining of the Butlerian Jihad. i highly highly recommend anyone interested in the Dune books read the prequels by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, and The Battle of Corin. they are incredibly good books by themselves but they really fill in and explain almost everything you might have a question about for the original novels

Tain
April 20th, 2005, 10:18 PM
actually earth was destroyed completely and utterly in nuclear holocaust at the beggining of the Butlerian Jihad. i highly highly recommend anyone interested in the Dune books read the prequels by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, and The Battle of Corin. they are incredibly good books by themselves but they really fill in and explain almost everything you might have a question about for the original novels

All true. What i meant though was by the time of the first book, Dune, Earth was more of a story, a legend. Its location had long been lost.

Seastallion
April 20th, 2005, 11:13 PM
All true. What i meant though was by the time of the first book, Dune, Earth was more of a story, a legend. Its location had long been lost.

I'm not so sure about that. I seem to remember somebody in one of the books going there for some reason. (It could've been one of the prequals) However, as of the original Frank Herbert novels, you could be right. I'm not completely sure on that one.

Good move LordAnubis... :p I was going to start a Dune thread myself (actually I already sort of did, but it got little response... :p ), but you beat me to the punch. :D As to your question about there being aliens in Dune, the answer would have to be NO, at least beyond plant and animal life. The only sentient species ever talked about is humans. The Guild Navigators have been mutated by total dependence on the spice (they breath the stuff, in a fish bowl), so they don't look human anymore... but at least they originally WERE humans. The Bene Tlilaxu make engineered humans for different uses. They have Face-dancers (can mimick any human form), Golah's (sort of like Clone's of the dead... but it has been established that it is possible for the soul to be restored, but only under very traumatic circumstances.), sex toys, or pretty much whatever you want to use them for. They Bene Tlilax are rogue genetecist, and bio-engineers who follow the motto; "Whatever the Need, we have the Breed".

:eek:

LordAnubis
April 21st, 2005, 05:43 AM
Thanks everyone. I was really curious about Dune after seeing Children of Dune on Sci-fi. I never got into it before. I might get the books and start reading. Seems like a lot of mythology/religious stuff in Dune too. Someone told me the books are pretty sexual, is that true? Just curious.

Seastallion
April 21st, 2005, 06:26 AM
mmmm... well, Frank Herbert wasn't afraid of the subject... but he wasn't too blatant about it. The main bad guy in the original book 'Dune', the Baron Vladimir Harkonnen was blatantly gay... but other than that... :p LOL

More accurately, the subject of sex is very much a minor thing in the Dune genre in general. It's there, but obscured by the larger issues of the book. The only other book that can compare to Dune, is the Lord of the Rings. Each of those books are at the pinnacle of their respective genres. (Sci-Fi, and Fantasy) No other books have the depth that they have in terms of total thought, imagination, and most importantly detail that Frank Herbert, and J.R.R. Tolkien put into them.

Both have geaneaology, complex factions w/ their histories, unique concepts and ideas, maps, shipper-outlines, Languages, etc., etc., etc. Basically, they are both nearly as vast as real worlds. For me, that is part of what makes them so fascinating... the attention to detail and history. :)

FoolishPleasure
April 21st, 2005, 06:41 AM
Thanks everyone. I was really curious about Dune after seeing Children of Dune on Sci-fi. I never got into it before. I might get the books and start reading. Seems like a lot of mythology/religious stuff in Dune too. Someone told me the books are pretty sexual, is that true? Just curious.
The books are WAAYYYY better than the movie or the mini-series. There is no way they could place everything on film. They are incredibly rich and detailed books - touching on various religions, politics and power, and personal relationships.

Start with "Dune", then "Dune Messiah", and then "Children of Dune". I really didn't care for the ones that came after - something was missing with them. But give the 1st three a whirl. You won't be disappointed. :D

Seastallion
April 21st, 2005, 07:51 AM
The books are WAAYYYY better than the movie or the mini-series. There is no way they could place everything on film. They are incredibly rich and detailed books - touching on various religions, politics and power, and personal relationships.

Start with "Dune", then "Dune Messiah", and then "Children of Dune". I really didn't care for the ones that came after - something was missing with them. But give the 1st three a whirl. You won't be disappointed. :D

I agree. :) Chapterhouse Dune is a little difficult to read, but I'm thinking of going back and reading them all over again, because they really are very enjoyable books. The philosophies in Dune, about the Human Potential, to me were just astonishing. I can't help but wonder if there really is any truth to his ideas. Just a few examples:

Bene Geserit Sisterhood- An 'Order' of women (often referred to as Witches, out of spite and ignorance) with incredible powers of mind and body. They seek to control the bloodlines of humanity in order to create the Qwizats Haderach, a super-human. A Man, with their powers and more...widely believed to have been fulfilled by Paul Atriedes, and then by his son, the Emperor Leto. Their powers stem from their knowledge, their unmatched physical control (their fighting style), the 'Voice' (which allows them to control the weak, and essentially force them to do whatever they want), their ability to know when the truth is spoken and when it is not, and some of them which become "Reverand Mothers", capable of seeing into the past lives of all the women that had come before them, drawing on their knowledge and experiance.

Bene Tlilaxu- A race of Geneticist, and Bio-engineers. They clone body parts, and engineer humans to fit specific needs or wants. They follow the motto; "Whatever the Need, we have the Breed". They make Face-Dancers (they can morph to look like anyone), Golah's (essentially clones of the dead, but they were able to successfully restore the soul of Duncan Idaho, the Sword Master of the Atriedes), Sex Toys, and many other beings to fit specific task.

Mentats- A race of 'human-computers' and often Assasins as well. They are human, but are bred and trained to think like machines. They are masters of detail and analysis. The Mentat 'master-of-assasins' Thufir Hawat trained the young Paul Atriedes to have Mentat abilities, besides his prescient abilities inherited from his genetic heritage.

The Guild Navigators- Severly mutated humans that have been altered as the result of total spice dependence, giving them limited prescience that allows them to guide the Holtzman Engines that drive their Highliners, which are capable of crossing any distance of space in an instant. They are widely considered the most powerful faction (before the rise of Muad'Dib), despite their claims of neutrality. They have a monoply on space travel, although there are other methods available, they are simply too slow.

The Landsradt- The formal body of Noble Houses that make up the ruling class and formal government of the Empire. The Emperor is merely one house among many, although the Emperor has far more authority than any one house. The Empire is something of a Feudal society, with the houses fueding among themselves but maintaining order overall. Not unlike the Goa'uld System Lords, really... :p

Arrakis- Arrakis isn't really a faction, it is an entire Planet. THE MOST important planet in the universe. The home of the Spice Melange, The Fremen, and Worms of Dune that create the spice. The Spice is the most precious commodity in the Empire, the Fremen are the natives of Dune that are hardened by the extremely difficult life on Dune, and the Worms are both the creators of the Spice and the major hurdle against harvesting it.

Hopefully, this 'brief' overview of the world of 'Dune' might interest more people to read it. :) They really are great books... :p

ConspiraciesAreFUN
April 21st, 2005, 08:00 AM
God Emporer was my favorite of the whole series. I like the tired old man-worm. He was a funny guy :D

LordAnubis
April 21st, 2005, 08:02 AM
I agree. :) Chapterhouse Dune is a little difficult to read, but I'm thinking of going back and reading them all over again, because they really are very enjoyable books. The philosophies in Dune, about the Human Potential, to me were just astonishing. I can't help but wonder if there really is any truth to his ideas. Just a few examples:

Bene Geserit Sisterhood- An 'Order' of women (often referred to as Witches, out of spite and ignorance) with incredible powers of mind and body. They seek to control the bloodlines of humanity in order to create the Qwizats Haderach, a super-human. A Man, with their powers and more...widely believed to have been fulfilled by Paul Atriedes, and then by his son, the Emperor Leto. Their powers stem from their knowledge, their unmatched physical control (their fighting style), the 'Voice' (which allows them to control the weak, and essentially force them to do whatever they want), their ability to know when the truth is spoken and when it is not, and some of them which become "Reverand Mothers", capable of seeing into the past lives of all the women that had come before them, drawing on their knowledge and experiance.

Bene Tlilaxu- A race of Geneticist, and Bio-engineers. They clone body parts, and engineer humans to fit specific needs or wants. They follow the motto; "Whatever the Need, we have the Breed". They make Face-Dancers (they can morph to look like anyone), Golah's (essentially clones of the dead, but they were able to successfully restore the soul of Duncan Idaho, the Sword Master of the Atriedes), Sex Toys, and many other beings to fit specific task.

Mentats- A race of 'human-computers' and often Assasins as well. They are human, but are bred and trained to think like machines. They are masters of detail and analysis. The Mentat 'master-of-assasins' Thufir Hawat trained the young Paul Atriedes to have Mentat abilities, besides his prescient abilities inherited from his genetic heritage.

The Guild Navigators- Severly mutated humans that have been altered as the result of total spice dependence, giving them limited prescience that allows them to guide the Holtzman Engines that drive their Highliners, which are capable of crossing any distance of space in an instant. They are widely considered the most powerful faction (before the rise of Muad'Dib), despite their claims of neutrality. They have a monoply on space travel, although there are other methods available, they are simply too slow.

The Landsradt- The formal body of Noble Houses that make up the ruling class and formal government of the Empire. The Emperor is merely one house among many, although the Emperor has far more authority than any one house. The Empire is something of a Feudal society, with the houses fueding among themselves but maintaining order overall. Not unlike the Goa'uld System Lords, really... :p

Arrakis- Arrakis isn't really a faction, it is an entire Planet. THE MOST important planet in the universe. The home of the Spice Melange, The Fremen, and Worms of Dune that create the spice. The Spice is the most precious commodity in the Empire, the Fremen are the natives of Dune that are hardened by the extremely difficult life on Dune, and the Worms are both the creators of the Spice and the major hurdle against harvesting it.

Hopefully, this 'brief' overview of the world of 'Dune' might interest more people to read it. :) They really are great books... :p

Thanks horse-dude :)

lionel_pendergast_rocks
April 21st, 2005, 08:03 AM
well, i started to read the first book, but i never finished, but i do know that the original dune movie, with patrick stewart and some other people does have a bit of a prologue that i found interesting. it has really bad film though, but i think it was made in the early 80's or something. i'm not sure.

Seastallion
April 21st, 2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks horse-dude :)

No problem, Jackal-dude...! :p :D

aeromathlete
April 22nd, 2005, 02:17 AM
The Dune series is freaking awesome, from what I've read so far (the first 3 books). I need to read the others, but RL is interfering with my ability to spend time enjoying fine sci-fi literature. ;)

Dahak
April 22nd, 2005, 03:16 PM
The first 4 Dune novels are pretty good. The next 2 are readable but get weird and don't have a real ending.
The first prequel stories are terrible though. All of the big secrets of the first 6 books are revealed but for some reason the character never tells anyone else. It makes all the factions look stupid later.
The second prequel stories though were great. Sure there are things that don't fit in with the 9 later books but they are not too grievous. They also work pretty good as a standalone series which the House series does not at all.

the Fifth Race
May 3rd, 2005, 08:12 AM
Thanx to friends in high places :D I picked up and watched 2 new DVD's coming out next week (May 10). The first I watched was George Lucas' first movie THX 1138, which is filmed at the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Marin County Civic center (I live 2 miles from it). I had seen it before and throughly enjoyed the directors cut and all the extras on the double discs.....

I also watched Dune the Extended Version. It's the directors cut from the original movie, they added about 40 minutes to it, to make a 3hr epic. It did change certain things about the original, for the better I think. I have'nt watched the alternate ending the provide on this version. Watching it last night, reminded me of what a great movie and even better story Dune is!.

Seastallion
May 3rd, 2005, 10:32 AM
I have the original Dune movie on DVD. I recorded the E.V. on VHS, from the Sci-Fi channel. I may get Dune EV on DVD, just to see the alternate ending... :p My favorite thing about the original movie is the 'Stillsuits'... they are much better than the Sci-Fi Mini-Series stillsuits. (at least I think they looked cooler) I've seen a little of THX... but I just couldn't get into it. It was too boring for me... :( Oh well...everything can't be as great as Stargate... :p

the Fifth Race
May 4th, 2005, 01:24 AM
The Dune DVD had a special features section that had a whole bunch of stuff on the characters (interviews), art work and a part just about the suits.

Darth Buddha
May 4th, 2005, 07:39 AM
I've seen a little of THX... but I just couldn't get into it. It was too boring for me... :( Oh well...everything can't be as great as Stargate... :p
THX is what qualifies as DEEP. If you need action to keep your attention, it isn't your thing, There IS action at times, but the movie is really about some compelling philosophical questions. Much like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris, and other high-brow scifi, it represents a kind of excellence that Stargate doesn't even pretend to address.

Stargate is fun, but Stargate is not deep.

Seastallion
May 4th, 2005, 09:11 AM
THX is what qualifies as DEEP. If you need action to keep your attention, it isn't your thing, There IS action at times, but the movie is really about some compelling philosophical questions. Much like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris, and other high-brow scifi, it represents a kind of excellence that Stargate doesn't even pretend to address.

Stargate is fun, but Stargate is not deep.

I wrote a nice long response... but then it got lost. I'm not gonna do it again. I'm too tired. So I'll do the short version.

Entertainment doesn't have to be sacrificed to be Deep. I like Deep... but THX is a little too boring to keep my interest. 2001, was Deep and Entertaining. I liked it. :) I get THX (the whole industrialization run-amok thing...), I just think it was too boring for me to enjoy it much. Dune was VERY Deep, and Extremely Entertaining. (The potential of mankind, in many possible areas...physical, mental, and spiritual potentials)

I also disagree, that Stargate isn't deep. It isn't always, or even usually deep... but I can think of a few episodes here and there that were. Stargate has often addressed philosophical topics and concerns. Stargate has addressed moral issues, spirituality, politics, and other 'deep' subjects. However, unlike a film... Stargate does not, (nor does it have to be) either/or, because it is a TV program. They have a lot of hours to fill, so it isn't all going to be deep. A film has less time to worry about filling, but even so... it doesn't have to sacrifice the 'fun' factor. (as I said earlier)

the Fifth Race
May 4th, 2005, 10:49 AM

LOL...

THX 1138 is a fantastic and deep film!. I agree Darth.

Space Odyssey another fantastic and deep film.

Stargate comparitivly speaking, not as deep. Yet to say Stargate isn't a deep show, I disagree with. It's storylines are'nt as smart or as 'deep' as alot of Farscape, DS9, TNG and a couple of others. But SG and Atlantis for that matter, do have some pretty deep and exhilerating episodes....

After not watching Dune for so many years, then recently watching the EV version the other night. Reminded of how deep and great a movie it really is!. The Baron is one of thoe most evil, serial killing, disgustlingly perverted character there ever was in sci fi genre! :D Great flick!.

Darth Buddha
May 5th, 2005, 10:45 AM
After not watching Dune for so many years, then recently watching the EV version the other night. Reminded of how deep and great a movie it really is!. The Baron is one of thoe most evil, serial killing, disgustlingly perverted character there ever was in sci fi genre! :D Great flick!.
Had you read the books before you saw the film? I found that I could follow it without a problem (the Dune miniseries too, which I have on DVD because it was of course to racy to air even on American cable), but I had to explain all sorts of things to folks who hadn't read Frank Herbert themselves.

Not that the Lynch film didn't have a lot of critical flaws.. but I loved some of the music by Toto (I have the extended version soundtrack), the Guild Navigator, the Giger inspired Harkonnen's and sandcrawlers, and the stillsuits. I hated the "weirding modules" and all the other extraneous elements introduced to "dumb down" the original Herbert plot.

The mini was truer to the plot, but some of the desert sets were worse than Trek TOS and Lost in Space.... even The Land of the Lost seemed to do better at times. The indoor sets were of course spectacular, so that made up for it somewhat!

Spirit of disturbing music
March 14th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Okay this thread is a place where fans of the scifi book series Dune by frank Herbert, can talk about it. On that note has anyone else read the new book?

Randy_Watson
March 14th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Okay this thread is a place where fans of the scifi book series Dune by frank Herbert, can talk about it. On that note has anyone else read the new book?

I just grabbed all of the old books, I haven't read them yet, but really liked both of the mini-series on Sci-fi. Do you think seeing those will ruing the books for me?

Angela V
March 14th, 2007, 10:22 AM
I have all the ones written by Frank himself. I started getting the newer ones but stopped. How many are there now anyway?

jesserella
March 14th, 2007, 10:25 AM
i read up to god emperor of dune, at which point i lost hope and stopped reading

btw i was named after lady Jessica of Dune :D

joshing123
March 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I just grabbed all of the old books, I haven't read them yet, but really liked both of the mini-series on Sci-fi. Do you think seeing those will ruing the books for me?

Probably the opposite. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the mini series & even the movie, but the books are so much richer. Dune is my all time favorite book. When a friend of mine first convinced me to read it, I did so in 2 days. I couldn't put it down (I was in high school & read it during classes even).

Be warned though - the first book is great - I read it pretty much yearly, the 2nd & 3rd are excellent, but the last ones I personally found just okay. They just didn't pull me in the way the others did.

March 15th, 2007, 05:38 AM
I have all the ones written by Frank himself. I started getting the newer ones but stopped. How many are there now anyway?

Umm lemme see 5 written by frank herbert and then the butlerian jihad and house stories so that makes 11 and then the new one so there are 12 Dune books now.

Snowflake
March 15th, 2007, 10:52 AM
thanks for letting me know there are new Dune books:D I read constantly, but have not gotten to Dune yet. I loved the movies (especially the mimi series ones). I have most of the books, so I guess I will be reading those next.

March 16th, 2007, 03:53 AM
The only gripes I really have with this series is how melange works, the hilarious fear of graphing calculators taking over the universe, and just how extremely static it is, I mean 15,000 years and like almost no new technology? Thats ridiculous.

tgmd
March 16th, 2007, 07:13 PM
The first 3 books are great...

My favorite is Dune: Messiah...

The fourth was good too but the series just dropped off after that for me...

The mini-series was great, it stayed as true as it could to the books.

gkyun
March 25th, 2007, 06:31 AM
I just finished watching The Children of Dune miniseries. Man what a great show!
The music was absolutely indescribable (reminded me of BSG somehow). I've seen the first miniseries before but this is definitely so much better!

Now I can't wait to read the books. I heard there's a special trilogy edition which combines the first 3 books into one paperback so I think I might get that one.

MacAnkka
March 25th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I bought the first book of the series, among some other books, during a school trip to the states (I'm Finnish, but I like to read English books for some reason). I had heard some people say it's a great book, but I really had no idea what it was like. I hadn't even seen the movie or the mini-series. Anyways, I was totally blown away by the book. I really enjoyed it. I'm currently in the middle of the 6th book, the last one, of the series (Chapterhouse: Dune). The first three books were probably the best of them, but the rest aren't bad, either.

NATIK
April 18th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I love this book series, best I have ever read, havent gotten to God Emperor and the following though.

I own both miniseries on DVD, in fact I just got the Dune one by mail today.

The writing style and atmosphere in these books is awesome and in regards to no new tech in 15000 years, remember they are afraid of computers and computerized technology, that puts a serious dampner on what you can really invent, in effect they got most of the tech they need and scientists seem rare and restricted mostly to the Ixian and Bene Tleilax who dosnt share their inventions.
Really the only people to possess real knowledge and the power to pursue it is:

The Royal houses, they arent interested in science only the fight for profit and power over CHOAM.

Bene Gesserit, they are more spiritiual and thus prefer human genes and training over machine tech.

The Bene Tleilax, their tech revolves around humans being changed fullfill specific needs.

The Ixian, the only true mechanical scientists and inventors the rest are biological or spiritual, the Ixian are misstrusted by others though.

The Spacing Guild, they have what they need highliners and spaceships to hold the navigators and their passengers, they need nothing more and thus have focussed their power on maintaining for them new tech could be dissastarious, if something that could calculate a jump where to be invented they would instantly lose all their power.

It actually makes perfect sense to have a stagnant universe, this is also what both Muad'dib and Leto II addresses and tries to change they both speak of humanity having to reinvent itself and rising from the ashes of this current complacent society. The gears of the universe has grinded to a halt due to the spread of power between groups who only want to keep the power they have and are afraid of upsetting the balance as they all rely on one thing and that one thing is almost sure to suffer under any imbalance.

fugiman
April 19th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I loved the book Dune I havent had time to read the others but Dune is great and I also enjoyed the mini-seris on SCci Fi:D

g8torgurl
April 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I saw DUNE the movie (i believe it was from the 80's? Patrick Stewart was in it) a few months ago, loved it to death. Went to the bookstore the other day, and saw the book on the shelf, I freaked out, and bought it immediately. I started reading it, then got really busy with some school things, and just started it again. My friend started reading it too, and just got bored with it... Which, I don't understand, I love it!

April 21st, 2007, 05:16 PM
I despised the Dune movie with a passion, it was just so horrid it burned my eyes, I mean the Fremen are not white they are arabs/middle eastern/african. Jesus christ people.

g.o.d
August 29th, 2007, 12:50 AM
so, are here any fans of FH's Dune? What do you guys think about the new Dune by BH (Frank Herbert's son) and KJA? I like every book. I'm still waiting for the last book (Sandworms of Dune)

August 29th, 2007, 03:06 AM
havent read any dune, but i plan too, the fact i love the movie so much has always put me off reading them. i have however read several of KJA's own books in the Saga of Seven Suns Series

Shai Hulud
May 26th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Anyone else a fan of, IMHO the greatest science fiction novel ever commited to paper?

Im certainly looking forwards to seeing what Pierre Morel can do with the story in 2012, I loved his latest, "From Paris With Love."

DigiFluid
May 26th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I've read and absolutely adore the original, DUNE. But I refuse to read any of the sequels or prequels for fear that they may taint my memories of one of the greatest sci-fi stories ever written.

The Sci-Fi miniseries adaptation from a few years back was actually pretty good too.

Replicator Todd
May 26th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I have yet to read Dune, but boy do I plan on reading it! Once i'm finished with what i'm reading now.

Shai Hulud
May 26th, 2010, 03:56 PM
The Sci-Fi miniseries adaptation from a few years back was actually pretty good too.

Yeah I enjoyed that too, although I wasnt too fussed on the CGI.

EvenstarSRV
May 26th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Anyone else a fan of, IMHO the greatest science fiction novel ever commited to paper?

Im certainly looking forwards to seeing what Pierre Morel can do with the story in 2012, I loved his latest, "From Paris With Love."

YES! Hence my location. :D

I can't count the number of times I've read it, and the 5 sequels Herbert wrote are also great. My brother is also a huge fan and we're both trying to collect as many editions of the original as we can. But I don't really care for the prequels written by Brian Herbert and Keven J. Anderson, and really dislike the two sequels they wrote Hunters and Sandworms of Dune. The Dune universe ends with Chapterhouse to me.

I'm really looking forward to Morel's adaption as well, and the Sci-fi miniseries was pretty good, much better than Lynch's version in many ways.

Jeffala
May 26th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I loved Dune. I loved 1985's Dune--for what it was. I loved SciFi's Dune and, later, the Dune Messiah/Children of Dune mashup miniseries.

Aside from the original, I've only read Dune Messiah.

gotthammer
May 26th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I've read and absolutely adore the original, DUNE. But I refuse to read any of the sequels or prequels for fear that they may taint my memories of one of the greatest sci-fi stories ever written.

Yup. I think the suggestion by a friend that I could do without the sequels (I think this was prior to the prequels being written) stuck: I wanted to read 'em, but couldn't get past the first few pages of the 2nd book (Heretics, right?). *shrugs*
Heh. Maybe after I finish my current 'to read' pile (gah...I've been using that excuse for various books/series now :D )

I enjoyed the mini-series, too, including the Children of Dune mini-series.

Jeffala
May 26th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Having not read the Dune books aside from the first two, can I assume that many feel about them as some do about Arthur C. Clarke's Rama books? Many love Rendezvous with Rama but can't stand the sequels.

EvenstarSRV
May 26th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Yup. I think the suggestion by a friend that I could do without the sequels (I think this was prior to the prequels being written) stuck: I wanted to read 'em, but couldn't get past the first few pages of the 2nd book (Heretics, right?). *shrugs*
Heh. Maybe after I finish my current 'to read' pile (gah...I've been using that excuse for various books/series now :D )

Herbert's six novels go Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune.

The first 3 make up one trilogy focusing on Paul and the Atreides family, God Emperor is a sort of bridge novel, and then Heretics, Chapterhouse, and the unfinished Dune 7 were meant to be a second trilogy focusing on Duncan Idaho and a couple of other new characters.

I think, while the original Dune definitely stands on its own, Messiah and Children are worth reading for completing Paul's story arc. Then only if you can get through God Emperor should you continue on to Heretics and Chapterhouse, since that one kinda turns the whole Dune universe askew, but in a pretty cool way.

DigiFluid
May 26th, 2010, 07:39 PM
"God Emperor" is an awesome title/honourific.

gotthammer
May 26th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Herbert's six novels go Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune.

The first 3 make up one trilogy focusing on Paul and the Atreides family, God Emperor is a sort of bridge novel, and then Heretics, Chapterhouse, and the unfinished Dune 7 were meant to be a second trilogy focusing on Duncan Idaho and a couple of other new characters.

I think, while the original Dune definitely stands on its own, Messiah and Children are worth reading for completing Paul's story arc. Then only if you can get through God Emperor should you continue on to Heretics and Chapterhouse, since that one kinda turns the whole Dune universe askew, but in a pretty cool way.

Yeah. I realized my mistake when I checked one of the earlier posts and then my bookshelf. :D (I have Dune, Messiah, Children, Chapterhouse, then House Atreides, I think)

:indeed:

EvenstarSRV
May 26th, 2010, 08:01 PM

:) Well he's part-Kwisatz Haderach and part-Shai-Hulud and ruled the known universe for almost four millennia, I think he earned it. :D

Replicator Todd
May 26th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Ok, i'm getting confused. Only the first Dune is worth reading? That works for me...

DigiFluid
May 26th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Ok, i'm getting confused. Only the first Dune is worth reading? That works for me...
You can't be that far into it, keep reading :p

Replicator Todd
May 26th, 2010, 08:35 PM
You can't be that far into it, keep reading :p

I don't own it yet! I'm just saying that most of the books I get into a part of a series.....and I read so slow that it takes forever to finish a series....I'm easily distracted.

DigiFluid
May 26th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I don't own it yet! I'm just saying that most of the books I get into a part of a series.....and I read so slow that it takes forever to finish a series....I'm easily distracted.
lol

The first Dune is long and quite complex. The only author I can think of who put this much work into backstory and developing the world is Tolkien. Both are a bit daunting, but well worth it.

Replicator Todd
May 26th, 2010, 08:42 PM
lol

The first Dune is long and quite complex. The only author I can think of who put this much work into backstory and developing the world is Tolkien. Both are a bit daunting, but well worth it.

OH wow, well if its like Tolkien then I will try to get it next time I am at a bookstore. I don't mind long books, or complex ones. As long as it draws me in. And as long as nothing enters my Blu-Ray player. :p

The Dude of Lebowski
May 26th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Dune is a great novel...but i believe that it can't be filmed i'm afraid

gotthammer
May 27th, 2010, 12:38 AM
lol

Hehehe. Well, 'Dune' was more 'fun' to read, at least for me anyway. I mean, I kept dozing off during that whole Tom Bombadil bit... :D

I do understand Todd's 'problem', tho'... *looks at books with bookmarks in them...* :D

Wayston
May 27th, 2010, 02:43 AM
I especially liked the latter books in the Herbert series with their huge intergalactic perspective as opposed to the more dune oriented stories

I don't care much for the (non-Herbert) successor books (much like I didn't care about the successor books after asimov's foundation series) but I did like their twist with the big enemy in the end, the identity of which made a lot of sense

Shai Hulud
May 27th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Dune is a great novel...but i believe that it can't be filmed i'm afraid

Whys that Dude?

DigiFluid
May 27th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Whys that Dude?
I tend to agree. While Sci Fi did a pretty respectable job of it in their miniseries, there's just way, way too much going on in the book to ever faithfully translate it onto the silver screen.

Promethius30
May 27th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I love dune, one of my favorite Sci-fi novels i have Dune and Dune Messiah both were really good but Dune was the best. I have got children of dune in my list to read at the moment and i am looking forward to it.

I watched the film the other month now that tainted my memory of the original dune.

DigiFluid
May 27th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I watched the film the other month now that tainted my memory of the original dune.
Sounds like it's time to read the book again :D

Promethius30
May 27th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Sounds like it's time to read the book again :D
I think you may be right :D
What do people think of Children of Dune i am thinking of starting on a plane in a couple of weeks is it easy to get in to?

DigiFluid
May 27th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Reference post time! The Dune chronology (with publication dates in the left column):

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/1986/dune.jpg (http://img683.imageshack.us/i/dune.jpg/)

Shai Hulud
May 27th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I tend to agree. While Sci Fi did a pretty respectable job of it in their miniseries, there's just way, way too much going on in the book to ever faithfully translate it onto the silver screen.

Agreed, there would be too much for it to be cut down to one movie, perhaps they can chop it up into a two or even three parter a la Lord Of The Rings.

EvenstarSRV
May 27th, 2010, 10:42 PM

IMO, if you enjoy Dune once you've read it, I think Messiah and Children are also worth reading since they deal with the rest of Paul's journey. After that only if you're really into the universe are the rest of the books worth it.

I especially liked the latter books in the Herbert series with their huge intergalactic perspective as opposed to the more dune oriented stories

I don't care much for the (non-Herbert) successor books (much like I didn't care about the successor books after asimov's foundation series) but I did like their twist with the big enemy in the end, the identity of which made a lot of sense

Same here, I like the scope of the latter novels as well as the greater involvement of other people and groups besides the Atreides and Fremen. And it's quite cool to go back and reread Dune and find subtle references to things that play out in the latter books.

I think you may be right :D
What do people think of Children of Dune i am thinking of starting on a plane in a couple of weeks is it easy to get in to?

Children is my favorite after the original Dune, if you liked Messiah then it should be pretty easy to get in to, I think. It starts off a little slow but pick-ups about midway through and has a neat finish.

Shai Hulud
May 28th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Anyone know anything about Chase Palmer? He's the writer that Morel has brought on board to rehash Josh Zetumer’s screenplay but I cant find much about him and his previous work. Anyone know anything about the guy?

Promethius30
May 28th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Children is my favorite after the original Dune, if you liked Messiah then it should be pretty easy to get in to, I think. It starts off a little slow but pick-ups about midway through and has a neat finish.

Cool looking foward to reading it.

The Dude of Lebowski
May 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Whys that Dude?

as digifluid said, there is just too much going on in the book to make it actually adapt it to film. in order to actually be able to make the film, you would have to take way to much out of it and it lose what it's really about...although in saying that, i thought the same about alan moore's watchmen, and zack snyder was able to turn that into a great film.

Promethius30
May 30th, 2010, 07:11 AM
as digifluid said, there is just too much going on in the book to make it actually adapt it to film. in order to actually be able to make the film, you would have to take way to much out of it and it lose what it's really about...although in saying that, i thought the same about alan moore's watchmen, and zack snyder was able to turn that into a great film.

Yeah i really enjoyed the watchman film it did a good job of converting it except for the ending.

When you look at the dune film they made they took nearly out all references of the fremen efforts of changing the planet and just had Paul make it rain at the end :S

The Dude of Lebowski
May 31st, 2010, 02:41 AM
When you look at the dune film they made they took nearly out all references of the fremen efforts of changing the planet and just had Paul make it rain at the end :S

yeah, i was really disappointed when i saw the dune movie...especially when i found out it was directed by david lynch D:
it also seem to be packed full of sci fi cliches, but i suppose it would seem that way as a lot of science fiction is based on dune :P

Jeffala
May 31st, 2010, 03:07 AM
Plus, the Baron was just plain gross. I prefer his portrayal in the SciFi miniseries.

Shai Hulud
May 31st, 2010, 11:07 AM
I prefer his portrayal in the SciFi miniseries.

Ian McNeice is a GREAT actor! I too enjoyed his portrayal in the mini series.

Jeffala
May 31st, 2010, 01:43 PM

I like his performances pretty much anywhere. He was a great Churchill on Doctor Who.

Promethius30
June 1st, 2010, 04:03 AM
I don't get the plugs that are in the movie too, the ones where they just bleed to death if they are taken out. Correct me if i am wrong but they were not in the book. And there was all the weirding device modules :S

I have yet to see the mini series, i think i will watch it after i have seen children of dune because it includes that in the mini series, i think.

EvenstarSRV
June 1st, 2010, 09:25 AM

Yeah, I think Dune is too dense to turn into a good 2-3 hour film, a 4-6 hour mini-series might work better. The LOTR trilogy turned out pretty great even though I never thought someone would make those books into films. You could maybe do a trilogy based on the 3 books in Dune, though no company would produce that I think.

I don't get the plugs that are in the movie too, the ones where they just bleed to death if they are taken out. Correct me if i am wrong but they were not in the book. And there was all the weirding device modules :S

I have yet to see the mini series, i think i will watch it after i have seen children of dune because it includes that in the mini series, i think.

Those plugs weren't in the book IIRC, I think they were just trying to show how barbaric the Harkonnen were. Rather like the weirding modules I think were them trying to visually show the Weirding Way Paul learned from Jessica and then taught the Fremen. The mini-series did a much better job with that part.

For the Sci-Fi miniseries, there's a Dune one that just covers that novel, and then there's the Children of Dune miniseries where the part 1 covers Dune Messiah and parts 2 and 3 cover Children of Dune.

Promethius30
June 2nd, 2010, 07:48 AM
Those plugs weren't in the book IIRC, I think they were just trying to show how barbaric the Harkonnen were. Rather like the weirding modules I think were them trying to visually show the Weirding Way Paul learned from Jessica and then taught the Fremen. The mini-series did a much better job with that part.

For the Sci-Fi miniseries, there's a Dune one that just covers that novel, and then there's the Children of Dune miniseries where the part 1 covers Dune Messiah and parts 2 and 3 cover Children of Dune.

Thanks for the info

VampyreWraith
June 2nd, 2010, 09:28 AM

The scifi miniseries was great, its actually what got me to read the book.

Shai Hulud
June 17th, 2010, 10:46 AM
“As a David Lynch movie, I loved it,” Pierre Morel said in a recent interview of the 1980s version. “[But] as a fan [of the book], I was not such a huge fan.”

“[My movie] is all about the first book. I’m trying to be very respectful to the original novel, but it’s a challenge. There’s a lot of expectation, all the readers will be waiting for me with their shotguns. All the non-readers will also be waiting for us, because it’s such a complex novel and you have to make it accessible to those who have not read the book. So, it’s a tough challenge but I’m very excited about that.”

"Let me assure you, I’m not going to transform Dune into an action crazy movie. It’s not the point. I was a fan of the book from the start, I read the book when I was 14-15 maybe, and I’ve been reading it over and over and over. I’m a huge fan of the original material, I don’t want to ge away from that, I want to be very very true to the original novel."

Sounds promising!

Wayston
November 7th, 2010, 01:10 AM
http://panther.is0.okcimg.com/users/434/744/4357457111978303249/mt94599768.jpg

HarryCanyon
November 9th, 2010, 04:53 AM
I'm a huge fan of the Dune novels even i liked the Brian Herbert novels as guilty pleasures despite they feel like Fanfiction, ever since 18 years ago when i was 12 i was into these books and always had an obsession with Sci-fi even in reading.

David Lynch's movie was a 47 million dollar abortion that rapes the book badly because the studios Universal and Dino De Laurentiis Studios hired the wrong man for the job known as David Frickin' Lynch when it should have been Alejandro Jodorosky or Ridley Scott instead of Lynch because Lynch doesn't know Jack**** of the novels but he screwed it up by making it a Lynch movie and not a Dune movie for it was a box-office and critical disaster, Lynch disowned the film and never spoke of it in interviews for he knew it was a bloated turd that is the "Heaven's Gate" or "Ishtar" of big budget Sci-fi stinkers.

The Sci-fi mini-series was good but the sequel was superior as they were true to the spirit of Frank Herbert. Now the director of the new Dune movie cares about the novels unlike Lynch as he will make it a LOTR style 4 part big screen movie if they can find the right cast like maybe Daniel Redcliffe for Paul Artedis.

And does anyone think Dune the novels inspired Star Wars, Avatar, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, The Dark Crystal, Serenity, Riddick, Stargate, The Matrix etc.? they all have the same themes as Dune.

leksa
November 9th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Hmm, I read that F. Herbert himself approved D. Lynch movie, that he was involved in the process of the film creation.
I personally do not like it, and I found it annoying having to explain stuff to my brother when we watched it together first time. But, in the way, it's not much worse than typical Hollywood creation....

Krystal
November 10th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I love Dune, was hook up since the first book, and although different I like also the books written by Brian and Kevin. I really enjoy the scifi mini-series, so much I have it in dvd. The first movie I remember trying to see it some time but never get into it much. Definitely Dune is a classic, I have to agree that the movies can't never get into so rich world, so one definitely must read it. They definitely can show some of it but never grap it entirely.

HarryCanyon
November 11th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Does anyone the books are so influential that they influenced Star Wars, Star Trek movies, Avatar, The Matrix, The Fifth Element, Dark City, The Dark Crystal, serenity, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds (a.k.a. Warriors of the Wind) etc.?

TheRandomOne
November 17th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I would rather them do a third mini series then a reboot movie. Have the third one be where gholas of Paul & the original characters are made & they eventually get their original memories back & Paul gets his abilities back

Wayston
November 18th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I would rather them do a third mini series then a reboot movie. Have the third one be where gholas of Paul & the original characters are made & they eventually get their original memories back & Paul gets his abilities back

I would absolutely loooooove a miniseries about the later books, which are better imo than the beginning because of their galactic scale

Wyrminarrd
November 18th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I've read all the books that Frank Herbert wrote as well as the prequels and the conclusion to the original series. While I kind of liked the prequels I found that I didn't like the way the series was wrapped up.

As for the movies I have to admit that has a kid I really loved the Lynch movie, indeed it really spoiled me when it came to reading the books since I was expecting something more along the lines of the movie :)

Wayston
November 19th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I've read all the books that Frank Herbert wrote as well as the prequels and the conclusion to the original series. While I kind of liked the prequels I found that I didn't like the way the series was wrapped up.

As for the movies I have to admit that has a kid I really loved the Lynch movie, indeed it really spoiled me when it came to reading the books since I was expecting something more along the lines of the movie :)

I liked the identity of the external threat, it made much sense. I didn't really like several of the prequels, they seemed to be written more with a movie rather than a novel in mind. They were more like a one time read instead of a treasured piece of art to revisit frequently. Although IIRC I thought they were better than the prequels to Asimov's Foundation series.

Wyrminarrd
November 20th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I liked the identity of the external threat, it made much sense. I didn't really like several of the prequels, they seemed to be written more with a movie rather than a novel in mind. They were more like a one time read instead of a treasured piece of art to revisit frequently. Although IIRC I thought they were better than the prequels to Asimov's Foundation series.

My problem with the external threat wasn't the nature of it but rather how it was written, it just didn't have the epic feel that the original books had. While reading the final book I just couldn't stop thinking that if Frank Herbert had been writing it then things would have been a lot different.

Cold Fuzz
November 20th, 2010, 07:42 PM
My closest friend's teenage son read Dune for the first time earlier this year. It was an incredible immersive experience for him. For a presentation in class, he made a very good model of a sandworm, using real cinnamon. :D He became so involved in it that it was all he could talk about for weeks. His mother and I kind of cringed after a while of this and we sarcastically commiserated to ourselves, "We created a monster." :lol:

leksa
November 23rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
My problem with the external threat wasn't the nature of it but rather how it was written, it just didn't have the epic feel that the original books had. While reading the final book I just couldn't stop thinking that if Frank Herbert had been writing it then things would have been a lot different.

Because of the way it was written I stopped reading the books after reading the first 3 prequels. I also did not liked the points where new authors came with completely new grandma for Paul, even if something like that was not even indicated in the original series.

Krichton
December 3rd, 2010, 07:20 AM
I've read from reviews that the characters are very thin and the book is boring.

EvenstarSRV
December 3rd, 2010, 01:03 PM

I agree. Although I read all the other books and enjoyed aspects of them, in my mind they take place in an AU from Frank Herbert's original six novels.

I'd love to see another Dune adaptation, but sadly I've read that Pierre Morel has dropped out as director, so the projected release date has been pushed back to 2014.