Things that need to be explained.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things that need to be explained.

This episode reminded me of alot of things that need to be acknowledged by the writers so we can move on with this show without certain things staying at the back of our minds.

They need to acknowledge Atlantis. I know, I know. This isn't a 'Atlantis rullezzzz blah blah blah' scenario, just bare with me. Daniel should surely be there instead we see him performing special reconnaissance missions? Granted he performed them while apart of SG-1 but still it's a bit far fetched when Atlantis is supposedly smack dab in the middle of San Fransisco.

An approach that I'd like the writers to take while referring to previously established canon is that they put their own spin on the wording, for example:

''Our Galaxy was colonized by the ancients, when they left a scavenger race rose up with the use of their technology and established their own totalitarian regime, we defeated them and then left the galaxy to rot without any resources''. This line sounds much gritter and realistic, similar to Telford's line in this episode.

It's better than:

''The Gaul'd sentient serpents who were really evil and took over peoples minds, enslaved the galaxy with massive pyramid ships for no other reason then their massive ego's. We killed a bunch of system lords and then left a bunch of primitive people with nothing to do'', don't get me wrong I love the previous Stargate series, but those were different shows.

Stargate was alot more fantastical wheras I find SGU to be more grounded in the Science-Fiction genre, especially this current generations interpretation of the genre.

I'd like to know if anyone else feels the same? I found this episode really kicked it up a notch when it came to reflecting on the previous shows and thus these questions need to be answered. Because Atlantis was obviously way more advanced and of course had the plothole drive aswell.

'Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become'.

Originally posted by Kaeb View Post
    This episode reminded me of alot of things that need to be acknowledged by the writers so we can move on with this show without certain things staying at the back of our minds.

They need to acknowledge Atlantis. I know, I know. This isn't a 'Atlantis rullezzzz blah blah blah' scenario, just bare with me. Daniel should surely be there instead we see him performing special reconnaissance missions? Granted he performed them while apart of SG-1 but still it's a bit far fetched when Atlantis is supposedly smack dab in the middle of San Fransisco.
    Why should Daniel be there? Last I checked the Atlantis expedition managed 5 years with minimal assistance from Mr Jackson, why should that have changed now and he be permanently there?

An approach that I'd like the writers to take while referring to previously established canon is that they put their own spin on the wording, for example:

''Our Galaxy was colonized by the ancients, when they left a scavenger race rose up with the use of their technology and established their own totalitarian regime, we defeated them and then left the galaxy to rot without any resources''. This line sounds much gritter and realistic, similar to Telford's line in this episode.

It's better than:

''The Gaul'd sentient serpents who were really evil and took over peoples minds, enslaved the galaxy with massive pyramid ships for no other reason then their massive ego's. We killed a bunch of system lords and then left a bunch of primitive people with nothing to do'', don't get me wrong I love the previous Stargate series, but those were different shows.
    Is this a question? Or a statement? And I think they are putting their own spin on previously established canon, as you said SGU is a different show and I think that's already very obvious.

Stargate was alot more fantastical wheras I find SGU to be more grounded in the Science-Fiction genre, especially this current generations interpretation of the genre.
    To be honest I think SG1, SGA and SGU are all grounded in scifi, the only difference is SG1 and SGA focused more on action whereas SGU focuses more on character interactions.

I'd like to know if anyone else feels the same? I found this episode really kicked it up a notch when it came to reflecting on the previous shows and thus these questions need to be answered. Because Atlantis was obviously way more advanced and of course had the plothole drive aswell.
    Not really sure what these "questions" you are talking about. As far as I can see you've only really asked one question and it's not really all that great a question imo. So my answer would have to be no, I don't feel the same and don't think there's things they need to explain from previous series in the franchise.

Comment

I'd like them to clear up exactly where Atlantis is right now, but I wouldn't want them to shoehorn it in. And if Atlantis is in MW, then Daniel is just a gate trip away from coming home if Jack thought he needed someone he could trust. Actually with all those ZPMs we seem to have laying around now, that would be true even if it was back in PG.

Perfecto!

Comment

I would have loved a line clarifying the history of the galaxy, just for those that haven't watched the other shows and to refresh the rest of us. Maybe even drop some new information on that era when the Goa'uld rose to power.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

you have to remember, they wanted to keep the number of people involved low, and the only person on earth that Jack trusts explicitly was Daniel.

You also have to remember, Daniel is an archeologist and linguist. Atlantis is of zero interest to him. He decoded the entire language they use to operate the city, there is nothing archeological about it. It would be like having an archeologist go to the new york subway. The main discoveries left in that city are technological, not linguistic or archeological.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
            you have to remember, they wanted to keep the number of people involved low, and the only person on earth that Jack trusts explicitly was Daniel.

You also have to remember, Daniel is an archeologist and linguist. Atlantis is of zero interest to him. He decoded the entire language they use to operate the city, there is nothing archeological about it. It would be like having an archeologist go to the new york subway. The main discoveries left in that city are technological, not linguistic or archeological.
            That's a good point. He may have wanted to go originally, but what's left there for him to explore? The database? He has the Asgard one to get through still.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I also think that Joseph Mallozzi has stated on his blog that they are waiting for a yay/nay on an Atlantis movie before referencing it more.
              My Minecraft Stargatesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                I would have loved a line clarifying the history of the galaxy, just for those that haven't watched the other shows and to refresh the rest of us. Maybe even drop some new information on that era when the Goa'uld rose to power.
                It's not really necessary for watching the show tho is it? You have to consider the value of including information like this when it is likely to confuse viewers who've never watched the previous series in the franchise and is going to be old information to anyone who has watched them. I don't see that anything of value would be gained at this stage by discussing the history of the galaxy, beyond the Ancients and their role in creating the stargates and Destiny, or how the Goa'uld rose to power.

Comment

Originally posted by Krazeh View Post
                  It's not really necessary for watching the show tho is it? You have to consider the value of including information like this when it is likely to confuse viewers who've never watched the previous series in the franchise and is going to be old information to anyone who has watched them. I don't see that anything of value would be gained at this stage by discussing the history of the galaxy, beyond the Ancients and their role in creating the stargates and Destiny, or how the Goa'uld rose to power.
                  Yeah, it might be a tad confusing to throw too much at people. But new viewers have absolutely no idea who the Lucian Alliance are, why everything about them has the Egyptian motif, why Earth may be responsible for them, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                    Yeah, it might be a tad confusing to throw too much at people. But new viewers have absolutely no idea who the Lucian Alliance are, why everything about them has the Egyptian motif, why Earth may be responsible for them, etc.
                    I agree but I think they have to be careful to only provide the information that is necessary and not overload people with extraneous information. I mean at the moment is it really necessary to know all the details about the Lucian Alliance to follow and enjoy the storyline? I don't think having their backstory adds a whole lot to knowing they're the people who attacked Icarus in the first place and were quite likely after access to Destiny, which has now been confirmed. I'm sure that over the next 2 episodes any vital information viewers need to know will be provided.

Comment

Agreed. New viewers know the LA attacked Icarus base and now know that they want to get to Destiny and that it is some kind of criminal organization. It's enough to know what's going on. No need to overload people with a ton of info that isn't going to make a lot of sense.
                      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

the writers used 'goa uld" that made it mighty
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Is it though? I'm pretty sure the proposed Atlantis movie was supposed to be set just prior to SGU, so for all we know Atlantis might not even exist any more, or at least be back in Pegasus.

Comment

Having a movie about what Atlantis would do if here in the MW would be sort of lame, considering the show is more about the Pegasus galaxy and all, than just about the city. So I don't think it's still here.

Comment

Well since they were planning two Atlantis movies...I doubt Atlantis will be destroyed at least in the first movie

Comment

Working...
                              X