It just occurred to me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It just occurred to me...

Was reading the transcript for The Monster at the End of This Book and reading the scene where Chuck meets Dean and Sam and he doesn't believe they're the real Dean and Sam. Well, it occurred to me that he should have known who they were the minute he opened his front door because of his visions. Right? I mean, how does he not know who they are if he sees them in his visions, has seen them for the last 4 years of their lives. It just doesn't track with me.

Or was it all an act? Based on what happens to Chuck at the end of Swan Song it's a possibility at least.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by RodneyIsGodney; 21 May 2010, 05:50 PM.
    sigpic
    Sig by ME.

Excellent catch there! I wonder if that should have given us a hint way back then. Although I don't really believe that TPTB had this revelation in mind at the time.

Based on what we know now, it was obviously an act. Maybe Chuck was giving the boys what they expected. They're used to having to explain, convince people what they do is real. So having Chuck open the door, going 'Sam, Dean, good to see you!' might have spooked them a bit. It also wouldn't have fit Chuck's whole cover of being an innocent mouthpiece who was just played by some celestial power, and only knowing what he was 'told'.

For a moment I wondered if his 'visions' maybe weren't as detailed that he would see the actual faces of the protagonists. But I re-watched parts of the episode, and the vision he had about Sam meeting Lilith was quite clear. It was also interesting that Dean accused Chuck of keeping something from them. When Cas showed up, this 'something' was explained as the fact the Chuck had suspected he was a prophet. That threw Dean off track, stopping him from digging deeper.

Now that you got me re-thinking things, there are two more inconsistencies I noticed. First, why did Dean have to go park the Impala? It was parked right outside their room - why would he take her to an off-site parking lot where she would be out of his sight? Unless he needed that distance to stop himself from driving her. And secondly - the scene where Chuck visits Sam in the motel, and Sam asks him if he knows about the demon blood. Somehow I'm starting to think that Chuck is acting a bit OOC here. The way he talks to Sam is almost... fatherly. But of course I could be reading too much into this in retrospect.

sigpic
    Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

There's also that fact that Chuck's visions wouldn't necessarily be as detailed as to see their exact features, I reckon. People, places etc... I mean, who could think up how those two look?

Edit: RiG you might want to add spoiler for S4 & 5 in the thread title... someone might come into the thread who's not up to date...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by queen_hathor View Post
        There's also that fact that Chuck's visions wouldn't necessarily be as detailed as to see their exact features, I reckon. People, places etc... I mean, who could think up how those two look?

Edit: RiG you might want to add spoiler for S4 & 5 in the thread title... someone might come into the thread who's not up to date...
        I was thinking the same thing, so I went back to the ep and checked. In the vision Chuck had about Sam and Lilith in the episode, Sam's face was clearly visible.

sigpic
        Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

[QUOTE=starg8fans;11527301]Excellent catch there![QUOTE]
          Thank you.

I wonder if that should have given us a hint way back then.
          It's certainly plausible. Foreshadowing maybe?

Although I don't really believe that TPTB had this revelation in mind at the time.
          Hey, you never know...they could have!

Based on what we know now, it was obviously an act. Maybe Chuck was giving the boys what they expected. They're used to having to explain, convince people what they do is real. So having Chuck open the door, going 'Sam, Dean, good to see you!' might have spooked them a bit. It also wouldn't have fit Chuck's whole cover of being an innocent mouthpiece who was just played by some celestial power, and only knowing what he was 'told'.
          Mmmm, could be.

For a moment I wondered if his 'visions' maybe weren't as detailed that he would see the actual faces of the protagonists. But I re-watched parts of the episode, and the vision he had about Sam meeting Lilith was quite clear. It was also interesting that Dean accused Chuck of keeping something from them. When Cas showed up, this 'something' was explained as the fact the Chuck had suspected he was a prophet. That threw Dean off track, stopping him from digging deeper.
          I knew his visions were detailed enough for him to be able to recognize Dean and Sam. Just look at how he writes, what he writes. Dean so much as said that he was "full frontal" in the book he was reading in the motel room. Chuck had to have had a detailed vision to have written that!

Now that you got me re-thinking things, there are two more inconsistencies I noticed. First, why did Dean have to go park the Impala? It was parked right outside their room - why would he take her to an off-site parking lot where she would be out of his sight? Unless he needed that distance to stop himself from driving her. And secondly - the scene where Chuck visits Sam in the motel, and Sam asks him if he knows about the demon blood. Somehow I'm starting to think that Chuck is acting a bit OOC here. The way he talks to Sam is almost... fatherly. But of course I could be reading too much into this in retrospect.
          I'd have to re-watch the episode in order to give a "smart" response. Also, it's way too late to think.

Originally posted by queen_hathor View Post
          There's also that fact that Chuck's visions wouldn't necessarily be as detailed as to see their exact features, I reckon.
          Detailed enough to know that Dean was "full frontal" in what ever book Dean was reading in the motel room. I' so jealous of Chuck.

People, places etc... I mean, who could think up how those two look?
          Whose idea was it to Romanticize Dean and Sam's looks on the book covers? Always made me wonder why they weren't depicted true to life. And bummed me right out.

Yeah, I meant to do that but...I forgot. I tried to fix it but it's only reflected in my original post. Should I ask a mod to change it?
          sigpic
          Sig by ME.

Comment

He's been hounded by die hard fans, plus under the influence of alcohol the whole time ha-ha, perhaps he thought they were just good look a likes. Or perhaps higher ups didn't want him to know what their faces were and now that he's met them he associated their faces to the visions... lol i dunno.
            Flickr Account: Gallery

Comment

I also noticed that in one episode, can't remember which one now, when Sam is reciting an exorcism incantation one of the first words he says is... *drum rolls* ...Castiel. And it was an episode long before Castiel showed up.

I wonder if the Cas fans caught this...
              sigpic
              Sig by ME.

Comment

Working...
              X