Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why wasnt the 9th chevron earth's first point of origin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why wasnt the 9th chevron earth's first point of origin?

Why did we dial Destiny with Earth's iconic P.O.O. when it should of been the beta gates P.O.O. since that was the one the Ancients used?
    sigpic

1) because it isn't iconic
    2) the writers probably forgot

Comment

Probably just a production error. I've watched Stargate all the way back starting with the movie, and I didn't even realise it until just now. These things happen.

sigpic

Comment

Regarding this issue, my point of view has always been this:

- the symbol itself isn't significant
        - a symbol is always connected to a set of co-ordinates (or some other value)
        - the "code" address to Destiny is, just like any other address, actually a set of these values and not a set of symbols
        - correspondence with a symbol and a value is fixed with every network update
        - Earth is now represented by the Ã… symbol in the gate network

but I also have another possible explanation: they used an Earth computer, in which Earth p.o.o. is programmed to be Ã…

Comment

This is the thing that really bothered me. I agree with your idea that an adress is a set of values, but those values are represented by symbols, so why then would you have one symbol stand for two different things - Earth's POO and the Destiny code? (And what is the point of origin of the planet Icarus base was on? A wormhole can't connect without a point of origin - was the point of origin the 8th chevron in the 9-chevron sequence?)

And personally I highly doubt that the writers forgot or that it was a production error. The fact that the Earth POO symbol is in the title of SG-1 and SGA does make it iconic. All the fans recognize it and know what it is. It carries pretty significant weight in the progression of the show(s).

Comment

were we ever told that the symbol carter used on the antarctic gate was the point of origin? answer: no, the A symbol works because its the earth point of origin. it the antarctic symbol was the point of orign then the show would have happened.

or maybe they changed the point of origin for that gate and decided it was better the way it was.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
              were we ever told that the symbol carter used on the antarctic gate was the point of origin? answer: no, the A symbol works because its the earth point of origin. it the antarctic symbol was the point of orign then the show would have happened.

or maybe they changed the point of origin for that gate and decided it was better the way it was.
              We were told that the gate we use today was brought by Ra and the Antarctic gate was the original. The point of origin are all the same: ex) you can scratch out all of the keys on your keyboard or phone, and replace them with, say stargate constellations, the keyboard still works and the letters still type, but the image you see on your keyboard are the ones you just put there. So if I typed a constellation on my keyboard, on the screen it would show the letter I typed. So the original and the new point of origin are the same, but one is older than the other, and the dhd was located on this planet, from what I understand is that the point of origin is always in the same place, its the other symbols that are in different places.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                We were told that the gate we use today was brought by Ra and the Antarctic gate was the original. The point of origin are all the same: ex) you can scratch out all of the keys on your keyboard or phone, and replace them with, say stargate constellations, the keyboard still works and the letters still type, but the image you see on your keyboard are the ones you just put there. So if I typed a constellation on my keyboard, on the screen it would show the letter I typed. So the original and the new point of origin are the same, but one is older than the other, and the dhd was located on this planet, from what I understand is that the point of origin is always in the same place, its the other symbols that are in different places.
                That does make sense however if it was a code shouldnt it still be earth's original POO since the symbol was a code rather than a true POO
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by _Famrir_ View Post
                  That does make sense however if it was a code shouldnt it still be earth's original POO since the symbol was a code rather than a true POO
                  I typed it to fast, what I meant is that if you were to replace the original letters on your keyboard with say constellations like the SGC keyboard then when you look down at the keyboard to see what letter you want to press, you don't see any but constellations, but when you press one on the screen its a letter. So on a DHD the point of origin is the same for that DHD, if you destroyed your original DHD and brought in a one new the point of origin would be the one for that DHD.

Comment

The Point of Origin has always been the only unique symbol on each stargate. It shouldn't matter what Point of Origin they entered, since it relays the same information. It would be as if you have millions of difference combination locks where 0 was replaced by random symbols. They would still all relay the value 0 to the lock when triggered.

Comment

I don't think that's the main problem at all with them dialing the gate to Destiny. On every Stargate there are 37 of the same symbols and 1 unique point of origin, why was Earth's second point of origin on that Stargate?
                      And yes, I believe you're right the original point of origin should have worked, not the point of origin on Ra's Stargate.
                      What if they dialed the wrong address? That would be interesting.

Comment

Welcome Stargater276! !st post

Comment

Thanks. Hopefully the first of many (And that I actually get the numbers right next time 39 symbols not 38).

Comment

To be honest, I still don't understand how this apparent code worked. Don't get me wrong, I love the show. The 9the 9th chevron would have to be the PoO so that would be "1" on the Gate. Earth's PoO, whichever symbol, doesn't matter, would still represent 1 back home, shouldn't have been on the Stargate. I seriously don't understand how or why our PoO was the answer.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

From an old post of mine:

It was a code, like a password specifically hardcoded in every stargate to dial the Destiny. Nine chevrons so it doesn't interfere with normal galaxy-to-galaxy addresses. Proof: they used Earth's PoO (heh) on a planet nowhere close to it - it didn't need to be functional, just to "match".

I always imagined that this 9 ch. code used a completely different communication protocol - like sending a signal in all directions because Destiny could be anywhere (proof: massive power usage even before the connection was established), instead of a highly directional beam like normal gate communication - the gates routinely connect to each other to relay their (and other gates') location in a mesh networking fashion. (this might be another explanation for the Universe-class gates' small range - the directional signal to known locations was not implemented yet so the gates rely on the short range of one's signal - like a wifi's ssid).

Also it doesn't matter that Earth's symbol wasn't physically on the gate (or DHD), they used a dialing computer - they could input whatever they liked.
                              Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Working...
                              X