Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did the Icarus gate know the location of Destiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did the Icarus gate know the location of Destiny?

I mean, sure, it's a code, but the gate does need to forward the wormhole into a very specific direction. Now, that's where the power requirements come in, but it doesn't explain how the Icarus gate could know the location to 'gate to' Destiny.

Periodic updates through 8 chevron dialing? Not likely, costs hell alot of energy.
    Subspace transmission? Not likely, even that still takes time, and given the vast distance between Icarus and Destiny..
    Communication Stone transmission? Hmmmmmmm. That's instant. And thus, that's possible.

Share your thoughts.

One idea that I liked was the possibility that, when dialing the nine-chevron address, the 'Gate sends out a subspace signal to the Destiny's 'Gate, asking for its location.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

I read something recently (can't recall if it was an interview or a post somewhere) that suggested that had Destiny not come out of FTL at the right time, the Icarus gate wouldn't have connected.

Comment

i assume that the only way for the gates to work properly is if two gates know they're connecting. hence, the Icarus Gate would've sent a call-out for Destiny, then Destiny replied, and so it knew the location

Comment

based on the fact that destinys address was a code not a location means that it found Destiny in a different way, most likely a subspace transmission of some kind, we know that the Ancients already had technology that could trasmit over a HUGE distance (the comm stones)

Comment

I believe they use some kind of Quantum entanglement effect to transmit the location of destiny, that way you don't need to broadcast to the entire universe. Probably that would require a mean to clone the Quantum entanglement to other pairs of particles through.
            Other possibility is that there is a chain of stargates to the destiny and every gate knows which gates (or area) are next, the gate selects one of them and fowards the "request". The selected gate fowards the request to another and so on until it reaches the destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
              I read something recently (can't recall if it was an interview or a post somewhere) that suggested that had Destiny not come out of FTL at the right time, the Icarus gate wouldn't have connected.
              Not exactly: it is strongly implied that the Destiny dropped out of FTL to receive the wormhole from Icarus Base.

Originally posted by ggf31416 View Post
              I believe they use some kind of Quantum entanglement effect to transmit the location of destiny, that way you don't need to broadcast to the entire universe. Probably that would require a mean to clone the Quantum entanglement to other pairs of particles through.
              Quantum entanglement doesn't allow for the transmission of information.

Firstly, in order to "send" or "receive" the "message," both parties have to make a measurement on the entangled particles. This breaks the entanglement.

More importantly, however, is the fact that they cannot control the output of their measurement. Therefore, they cannot control what the other person will measure, and thus cannot send a message.

Originally posted by ggf31416 View Post
              Other possibility is that there is a chain of stargates to the destiny and every gate knows which gates (or area) are next, the gate selects one of them and fowards the "request". The selected gate fowards the request to another and so on until it reaches the destiny.
              Even SG-1-style 'Gates don't have the range to bridge the gap between one galaxy and another, let alone the Universe-style 'Gates.
              "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

Ive been speculating that the 9th chevron had something to do with why the ancients chose to have FTL as opposed to hyperdrive... that the gate wouldn't have been able to connect if the ship was in hyperspace

The purpose of the 9th chevron could possible be to dial a static address, one thats constantly in flux without the address actually having to change, and perhaps there are other 9 chevron addresses, but my guesse is that the gates send out some sort of uber-hyper-fast subspace thingy that detects its location and sends the wormhole to that point. Destiny detects this and drops out of FTL to recieve
                I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                  Not exactly: it is strongly implied that the Destiny dropped out of FTL to receive the wormhole from Icarus Base.
                  No, that's not what I read. It was definitely the other. I'll try to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                    Ive been speculating that the 9th chevron had something to do with why the ancients chose to have FTL as opposed to hyperdrive... that the gate wouldn't have been able to connect if the ship was in hyperspace
                    Technically, the 'Gate cannot connect if the Destiny is in FTL - hence why the ship dropped out of FTL in the opening moments of "Air," and then jumped back as soon as the wormhole closed.

That might not have anything to do with what you are saying.

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                    my guesse is that the gates send out some sort of uber-hyper-fast subspace thingy that detects its location and sends the wormhole to that point. Destiny detects this and drops out of FTL to recieve
                    I like this idea - I think I've heard it before, which is why I mentioned it here.

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                    No, that's not what I read. It was definitely the other. I'll try to find it.
                    I'm going to guess that "the other" was based on mistaken speculation, not a statement by TPTB.

The reason that I say this is because, when the Destiny stopped at the beginning of "Air," there was no countdown timer. In other words, this was not one of the Destiny's scheduled stops, but rather an anomalous event.

Moreover, the Destiny jumped back into FTL almost as soon as the incoming wormhole closed. This seems far too coincidental, especially when noting the lack of a countdown timer.

Then, there is also the fact that the open shots of the series show the Destiny's interior being pressurized almost as soon as it dropped out of FTL. The only reason that it would have to pressurize its interior is the incoming wormhole. This implies that the Destiny did not drop out of FTL until just before it received the incoming wormhole - yet another "coincidence."

Comment

Just by pure speculation

If all the gates are incommunication with each other...maybe they know destinys address so there could possible be a log that keeps track that then allows for a better guess as to where destiny could be....then maybe some sort of triangulation by gates. My guess is most likely wrong.

Comment

Well a few thoughts on that... The gate in the milky way network seeks a gate closest the nearest of the known gates in a neighboring galactic gate network and then the wormhole is forwarded along in the similar method to finally find a gate in the distant network where Destiny sits and then routes it to the ship from there.

Of course, one could theorize that the reason the gate connection failed so often is because Destiny was in FTL and thus could not be located.

Comment

Magnets of course..

Seriously though, i think it has something to do with each destiny like ship has a preplanned route recorded in the gate network (N/S/E/W or something like that) and the 9 cheveron addy pings each gate network in that direction till it finds one which has the destiny linked to it.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            Magnets of course..

Seriously though, i think it has something to do with each destiny like ship has a preplanned route recorded in the gate network (N/S/E/W or something like that) and the 9 cheveron addy pings each gate network in that direction till it finds one which has the destiny linked to it.
                            how could the ancients make a preplanned route of the unknown?

also the MW gates update all the time whos to say the MW, PG and SGU gates don't talk to each other to keep track of the destiny for just this time of dialing. FTL isn't that fast so the updates wouldn't have to be updated live

Comment

Originally posted by TitanShadow View Post
                              Well a few thoughts on that... The gate in the milky way network seeks a gate closest the nearest of the known gates in a neighboring galactic gate network and then the wormhole is forwarded along in the similar method to finally find a gate in the distant network where Destiny sits and then routes it to the ship from there.
                              Again, there is the range issue: no known Stargate has the range to connect from one galaxy to another without a significant power boost, and only the original 'Gate has that power boost.

Moreover, the Stargates in Universe have a pretty severe range limit on top of the old one, so that makes this plan even more unlikely.

Originally posted by TitanShadow View Post
                              Of course, one could theorize that the reason the gate connection failed so often is because Destiny was in FTL and thus could not be located.
                              Actually, it's pretty explicitly stated that the reason the connection failed was because they were using the wrong point of origin.

Comment

Working...
                              X