Favourite Era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite Era?

I don't think we've done one of these yet, so I'll put it out there (mods, poll please )

Official Lucas media has subdivided the SW universe into eras, I've taken that and subdivided it a little bit more where I think make good demarcation lines. ANYWAY: which is your favourite SW era? Why? Choices:

- Ancient Republic (25,000 BBY - 5000 BBY)
    - Old Republic (5000 BBY - 1000 BBY)
    - Rise of the Empire (1000 BBY - 19 BBY)
    - Imperial Era and the Galactic Civil War (19 BBY - 4 ABY)
    - New Republic (5 ABY - 24 ABY)
    - New Jedi Order (24.5 ABY - 36 ABY)
    - Legacy (40 ABY - 137 ABY)

Personally, my favourite is the Old Republic years. There's just something about all the stuff that happens then: Naga Sadow/Ludo Kressh, Onderon, Nadd/Kun, the Mandalorian Wars, KOTOR....future stuff just can't hold a candle to it for me. I love it so much, I'm just dying to play The Old Republic
    Ancient Republic (25,000 BBY - 5000 BBY)
    11.90%
    Rise of the Empire (1000 BBY - 19 BBY)
    2.38%
    Old Republic (5000 BBY - 1000 BBY)
    38.10%
    Imperial Era and the Galactic Civil War (19 BBY - 4 ABY)
    14.29%
    New Republic (5 ABY - 24 ABY)
    16.67%
    New Jedi Order (24.5 ABY - 36 ABY)
    11.90%
    Legacy (40 ABY - 137 ABY)
    4.76%
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I also really like the Old Republic. I think that with the Jedi so well established during that time period, there's considerable freedom for story lines and depth of development for the Jedi. The events after Return of the Jedi don't really really interest me enough to devote time to reading any novels. But when I do have enough time, I would definitely read the Darth Bane trilogy. Lots of Old Republic threads come together there from what I know of the story.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
      But when I do have enough time, I would definitely read the Darth Bane trilogy.
      Highly recommended....I read them a couple months ago and loved them. It made a really neat bridge between the classic Sith wars and more familiar Rule of Two we're familiar with from the movies era. Great storytelling too, Drew Karpyshyn rocks.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Highly recommended....I read them a couple months ago and loved them. It made a really neat bridge between the classic Sith wars and more familiar Rule of Two we're familiar with from the movies era. Great storytelling too, Drew Karpyshyn rocks.
        I've been told much the same thing. Another SW fan told me that he references the Rakata, Revan, the Star Forge and brings it all together into an enthralling narrative. I have 5 other long books to read (4 non-fiction, 1 fiction) before I get to the Bane trilogy though.
        sigpic

Comment

Digi I don't know if you posted the poll but it has the Ancient Republic listed twice.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
            Digi I don't know if you posted the poll but it has the Ancient Republic listed twice.
            Nope....mods can post polls, I can't

I noticed that too and reported....and now one of them is gone and Old Republic isn't in it lol

edit; and there it is....in the wrong spot. lol
            Last edited by DigiFluid; 18 May 2010, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Bby? Aby?
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                Bby? Aby?
                I'm with PA, can we get some explanation of the various time periods? I've only seen the movies.
                sigpic

Comment

Bby? Aby?
                  Before the Battle of Yavin, After the Battle of Yavin.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                    Before the Battle of Yavin, After the Battle of Yavin.
                    Aka before Episode IV and after Episode IV.

I'm not sure which one's my absolute favorite... it's a tie between the Old Republic and the New Jedi Order, but the Galactic Civil War is really close, too...
                    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Nope....mods can post polls, I can't

I noticed that too and reported....and now one of them is gone and Old Republic isn't in it lol

edit; and there it is....in the wrong spot. lol
                      Ah, gotcha. From what I know of the Old Republic, that era had the most well-developed back stories, at least from my point of view. From a purely Force perspective, they certainly had the most powerful practitioners. Nihilus and his ability to feed on all the life on Katarr comes to my mind--and then there were the other members of their little Sith trio.
                      sigpic

Comment

Bby? Aby?
                        Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                        I'm with PA, can we get some explanation of the various time periods? I've only seen the movies.
                        And you people call yourself Star Wars fans

As others have said, BBY/ABY are Before the Battle of Yavin and After the Battle of Yavin. Knights of the Old Republic was set in 3956 BBY, ergo....3956 years before the Battle of Yavin

Comment

I'm having trouble choosing between the Imperial/Galactic Civil War and New Republic Eras, I love the stuff shortly before, during, and after the Original Trilogy. Plus I'm not a big fan of a bunch of Jedis running around....I much rather have a small group of Jedis.

Comment

OT stuff for me, and early New Republic.
                            sigpic

Comment

I've not had any exposure of the Old Republic and only familiar with the prequels up to Jedi Outcast. Hmm. I guess it will have to be the New Republic.
                              "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Working...
                              X