PDA

View Full Version : Wray and Rush

Major_Griff
May 16th, 2010, 03:45 PM
So it looked like Rush wanted to talk to Wray about what happened in Sabotage before Young interrupted them. First, does everyone agree that that is what Rush was going to talk to Wray about? And does anyone else really hope that they do eventually get to have that conversation?

carmencatalina
May 16th, 2010, 04:32 PM
So it looked like Rush wanted to talk to Wray about what happened in Sabotage before Young interrupted them. First, does everyone agree that that is what Rush was going to talk to Wray about? And does anyone else really hope that they do eventually get to have that conversation?

I was hoping someone would bring this up! When he showed up at Wray's door and said that they needed to talk, I definitely thought he was going to talk to her about what happened when Perry was on board Destiny - maybe to apologize or at least just to let her know.

I hope they do have that conversation and that we get to see it - imagine how awkward that is going to be! On the other hand, Wray used Perry's body to give/get a kiss from her wife, so she shouldn't be too upset that Perry in turn used her's to kiss Rush.

TitanShadow
May 16th, 2010, 04:38 PM
They really seem to be glossing over the concept of the body-swap and what the body does when the person isn't home. I think that the conversation was going to be about 'for the good of the ship'. I think Rush's outlook as started to shift, the crew is starting to solidify and find places together, Wray is still set aside somewhat and I think that eventually the conversation about the attempted takeover is going to happen and I don't think Wray is going to be happy with it.

icsteffi
May 16th, 2010, 06:00 PM
It certainly seemed like the conversation was going to be about him kissing her during the body-swap. But it was important and could have been about the takeover of the ship, or even something else! I don't think the writers will let that go, that was a really intense moment when Rush wanted to talk to her so badly.

TitanShadow-- how did you get that picture! I thought I couldn't do that at all because of my early status. :(

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 16th, 2010, 06:21 PM
at that scene, the first thing that I thought was that he needed to talk to her about the Perry scene, but with these two? Who knows :)

ProclarushTaonasAt
May 16th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I thought he was going to talk to her about Perry too. Awkward...

Pharaoh Atem
May 16th, 2010, 06:49 PM
i don't remember the scene :P must not had been that important

TitanShadow
May 16th, 2010, 07:12 PM
It was in the default avatars available. Try and set one, you can't upload your own though.

Lahela
May 16th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I thought he was going to thank her for giving Mandy the chance to be on the ship and everything that went along with it.

pipi
May 16th, 2010, 10:44 PM
The Perry talk would have most likely come up during their boring trip across the void. So I'm inclined to believe it's about something else. Maybe the fact that Destiny has arrived in a new galaxy and technically getting further away from Earth; they are definitely plotting something for their long-term survival on the ship.

Artemis-Neith
May 16th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I have no doubt, that it had something to do with Mandy. Either, that he want to tell Wray what happend, or maybe what not happend, apologise for kissing Mandy in her Body, or he was on his way to ask, whether she would give permission to more than a kiss? I must admit that I'm not sure about this last part, I'm just playing with this thought.
But, I think also, now after the events of "Pain", he will not talk about this with Wray in a long time, whatever the never asked question was. It seems to me, that he's really upset with what he've done to her, even if he knows, how it happend, and that he'd never done that to her under "normal" conditions.

RedXian
May 16th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I am convinced that Rush was going to confess to Wray about what happened while Perry was controlling her body. Rush's hesitation at the start of the conversation spoke volumes about the subject he was about to bring up.

If that is the case, then my respect for the man just increased tenfold. It's the kind of thing I'd do in that situation. I couldn't keep that bottle up for a long period.

Lt. Jeffer
May 17th, 2010, 04:25 AM
The Perry talk would have most likely come up during their boring trip across the void. So I'm inclined to believe it's about something else. Maybe the fact that Destiny has arrived in a new galaxy and technically getting further away from Earth; they are definitely plotting something for their long-term survival on the ship.

i dont think so when it would be something like this he could just say it but when young arrieved he said it was nothing

ladypredator
May 17th, 2010, 06:37 AM
i dont think so when it would be something like this he could just say it but when young arrieved he said it was nothing

I would agree. From his hesitancy and the discomfort, but sincerity in his tone when he asked to speak to her, this was something personal. I'm convinced he was going to talk to her about Mandy and I was very frustrated that we never got that conversation. It is certainly something that Rush would not want Young anywhere near. He's such a private person. Talking to Camile would be hard enough for him.

Gollumpus
May 17th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I too believed Rush wanted to speak to Wray regarding events while she was body-swapped.

I'm not sure we will ever see what was (or would have been) said between these characters, unless the writers bring back the Mandy character. Not long after they were confronted by Young, we see them talking in the mess hall (Rush is explaining something to Wray). Obviously they have had time and opportunity to speak privately and by their behavior/body language etc there is not any apparent awkwardness between them. Rush does not look "shy" and Wray doesn't look aloof. This says to me that the subject was not revisited.

Speaking to Wray on this point is/was important to Rush. After he screwed up his courage to speak to her that first time, and had that unfortunate interruption, he has likely thought better of it and will not approach her again on this subject.

This allows the writing staff a future shot at major awkwardness between these two characters. A month or so after Mandy's next appearance Wray starts complaining to TJ about feeling ill in the morning...

regards,
G.

ProclarushTaonasAt
May 17th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I too believed Rush wanted to speak to Wray regarding events while she was body-swapped.

I'm not sure we will ever see what was (or would have been) said between these characters, unless the writers bring back the Mandy character. Not long after they were confronted by Young, we see them talking in the mess hall (Rush is explaining something to Wray). Obviously they have had time and opportunity to speak privately and by their behavior/body language etc there is not any apparent awkwardness between them. Rush does not look "shy" and Wray doesn't look aloof. This says to me that the subject was not revisited.

Speaking to Wray on this point is/was important to Rush. After he screwed up his courage to speak to her that first time, and had that unfortunate interruption, he has likely thought better of it and will not approach her again on this subject.

This allows the writing staff a future shot at major awkwardness between these two characters. A month or so after Mandy's next appearance Wray starts complaining to TJ about feeling ill in the morning...

regards,
G.

Could you imagine!

Major_Griff
May 17th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Not long after they were confronted by Young, we see them talking in the mess hall (Rush is explaining something to Wray). Obviously they have had time and opportunity to speak privately and by their behavior/body language etc there is not any apparent awkwardness between them. Rush does not look "shy" and Wray doesn't look aloof. This says to me that the subject was not revisited.

My thought was that that was part of Greer's delusions.

Artemis-Neith
May 17th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Not long after they were confronted by Young, we see them talking in the mess hall (Rush is explaining something to Wray). Obviously they have had time and opportunity to speak privately and by their behavior/body language etc there is not any apparent awkwardness between them. Rush does not look "shy" and Wray doesn't look aloof. This says to me that the subject was not revisited.

It was for sure a delusion, every time Greer saw Rush and Wray in his deliusion together Wray weared a dark red sweater with short sleeves (what she had also during the muntiny), wheras she wears in reality a turqoise shirt and a black jacket. ;)

Gollumpus
May 17th, 2010, 09:39 PM

That may well be the case. We didn't see Rush or Wray interacting with anyone other than each other.

I was thinking about who was infected and how they got that way. Original infectees were: Scott, James, Dunning(?) aka "Snake", and Dr. Volker. Cpl. Barnes was planet-side but was not infected. Subsequent tickers were: Rush, Greer and Armstrong. So, who is the most likely candidate for initial infection? I'm saying Scott.

Planet-side, he likely came in content with the ticks. Having James along, she would (unconsciously) steer Barnes away from Scott (her man, at least in her own mind). James would have no problem with close contact between Scott and the other guys in the group. After Scott had infected everyone (except Barnes), they returned to the ship where Volker infected Rush, and Scott infected Greer and Armstrong.

regards,
G.

Gollumpus
May 17th, 2010, 09:46 PM
It was for sure a delusion, every time Greer saw Rush and Wray in his deliusion together Wray weared a dark red sweater with short sleeves (what she had also during the muntiny), wheras she wears in reality a turqoise shirt and a black jacket. ;)

Good eye! I put it down to Wray having only minimal wardrobe choices.

regards,
G.

Nataku27
May 19th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Hard to say if it was part hallucination or reality, but that would make a good conversation I think.

carmencatalina
May 19th, 2010, 08:50 AM
You know, Rush and Wray have an interesting (and hard to figure out) relationship. Wray is the only person on board Destiny that calls Rush by his first name - she often calls him "Nicholas", which implies something, but I'm not sure what. He also often calls her "Camille" - everyone else is "Colonel Young", or "Lt. Scott", or "Lt. Johannson". He does call Eli by his first name, and he recently started calling Chloe "Chloe" instead of "Miss Armstrong".

So do we think they were friends (or friendly colleagues) prior to Destiny?

Edited to add:
I just realized that Rush also tends to refer to the science team by title and last name - "Mr. Brody", "Dr. Volker", "Dr. Park" - as well.

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 19th, 2010, 09:07 AM
You know, Rush and Wray have an interesting (and hard to figure out) relationship. Wray is the only person on board Destiny that calls Rush by his first name - she often calls him "Nicholas", which implies something, but I'm not sure what. He also often calls her "Camille" - everyone else is "Colonel Young", or "Lt. Scott", or "Lt. Johannson". He does call Eli by his first name, and he recently started calling Chloe "Chloe" instead of "Miss Armstrong".

Edited to add:
I just realized that Rush also tends to refer to the science team by title and last name - "Mr. Brody", "Dr. Volker", "Dr. Park" - as well.

That's a pretty valid point, and people do tend to have certain names for each other depending on how close they are or how much they respect them. With the mix of civilian and military, it can be confusing though, as it's very common for military personnel to refer to someone by their last name. Then again, you have people calling Greer Ron or Ronald, and Young calling Scott Matthew or the further endearment of son, and also TJ Tamara. And TJ is more often referred to simply as TJ by everyone, even among the military section, with her only infrequently being referred to as Johansen. The Mr's and Dr's before the civilian's names is also that sign of respect. Which of course has me think of why Eli is always Eli, and not Mr Wallace unless the idea of calling 'the kid' Mr Wallace is weird. It's a bit of a jumble but I think the popping up of more informal names of reference is perhaps a sign that they are looking at each other in less stilted ways? I love this stuff, all the unsaid things and the language underneath it all. I doubt they'll all start referring to each other by their first names (especially amongst the military, that's a hard habit to break), but it is neat to see that it's happening. They're coming together nicely.

carmencatalina
May 19th, 2010, 09:13 AM
As you've mentioned, using title+last name can be a sign of respect, but it can also be a distancing mechanism - the fact that Rush seems to do that for everyone except Eli, Wray and now Chloe seems to me to be more having to do with keeping his distance than just showing respect.

I'm pretty sure that, for at least a while there, he held Young in utmost contempt, but he always refers to him as "Colonel Young" to his face, not "Young".

Young, on the other hand, usually grants the science team the respect of using title+last name ("Dr. Park", "Dr. Volker") when directly addressing them, but Rush is always "Rush", not "Dr. Rush". I think that is significant, too.

I should make a graph . . . perhaps some sort of network with different types of arrows showing different forms of addressing people . . .

Artemis-Neith
May 19th, 2010, 09:21 AM

Edited to add:

Yeah, that's interesting, I've also noticed that. My first impression was maybe they're in the (non military) command structure on the same level, and, if they know each other since some years now, also more familiar. That there's a difference with the military staff is something I can understand. Where I cannot follow is the way the academics calls each other. I got the impression, that we do this completely different in Germany. E.g. if someone has an academic title, normally you don't use the same academic title with your colleague, especially not if you was a professor at university, in the case of Rush. I think, that is a simply cultural disparity, I don't really understand. So, if somebody have more experience with this topic, don't hesitate to explain it. Anyway, it is a remarkable point.

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 19th, 2010, 09:26 AM
As you've mentioned, using title+last name can be a sign of respect, but it can also be a distancing mechanism - the fact that Rush seems to do that for everyone except Eli, Wray and now Chloe seems to me to be more having to do with keeping his distance than just showing respect.

I'm pretty sure that, for at least a while there, he held Young in utmost contempt, but he always refers to him as "Colonel Young" to his face, not "Young".

Young, on the other hand, usually grants the science team the respect of using title+last name ("Dr. Park", "Dr. Volker") when directly addressing them, but Rush is always "Rush", not "Dr. Rush". I think that is significant, too.

I should make a graph . . . perhaps some sort of network with different types of arrows showing different forms of addressing people . . .

yep, that's where some difficulty comes in to it as well, I think, because last names will always sound distancing to non-military personnel and there may be this assumption that because last names are used, that they soldiers are keeping them at a distance. It serves the same purpose for the civilians, referring to the soldiers by last name, as a distancing mechanism.

You're completely right about Young though. It's like steps that he takes towards getting personal. Is he using a first name to reach you? Like with Tamara during Air 1 when he really needed to pull her away or on Faith and Lost with Scott, where he called him first Matthew and then (another step) son? Is he using last names without title because he a) feels he's spoken to you enough to be on a first name basis (military wise) and refers to you by last name-no title to be friendly, or b) doesn't respect you enough to use one or c) is fed up with your crap and wants you to open the door already (James in Pain).

Our pet names for people (and we haven't seen much of that other than Math Boy) say a lot about how we feel about each other. I think that so many of these names are softening at all is a good sign.

carmencatalina
May 19th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Where I cannot follow is the way the academics calls each other. I got the impression, that we do this completely different in Germany. E.g. if someone has an academic title, normally you don't use the same academic title with your colleague, especially not if you was a professor at university, in the case of Rush.

I'm an academic, and I use title+last name if I don't know the person well, but usually switch to first names once we know one another. That said, in front of student or others, I might still use title+last name. So you are my colleague Dr. Jane Smith, when we are together, working or socializing, I call you Jane, but when I speak of you in the third person to others I might refer to you as Dr. Smith (or Professor Smith).

Rush called Dr. Perry "Mandy", because they are friends. Brody is "Mr. Brody" (presumably no Ph.D., but rather a master's in engineering), Volker is "Dr. Volker", etc. because he doesn't consider them friends - or because he wants to make sure they don't consider him a friend.

There is also a bit of using just last name in academics/science - "Have you read Smith's last paper? Brilliant!" - I personally answer my phone with just my last name, and that is not uncommon.

Gollumpus
May 19th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Our pet names for people (and we haven't seen much of that other than Math Boy) say a lot about how we feel about each other. I think that so many of these names are softening at all is a good sign.

If Scott starts calling Greer "Huggybear" I am so out of here...

regards,
G.

carmencatalina
May 19th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I'm waiting for the first time Rush or Young uses the other's first name. I predict sometime in season two . . .

Gollumpus
May 19th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Rush called Dr. Perry "Mandy", because they are friends. Brody is "Mr. Brody" (presumably no Ph.D., but rather a master's in engineering), Volker is "Dr. Volker", etc. because he doesn't consider them friends - or because he wants to make sure they don't consider him a friend.

Or, that Rush wants to maintain his own control and command with regards to the other scientists on board. If he keeps them thinking that they work for him it will support his position of authority. I'm not suggesting that this is necessarily being done consciously but rather as a continuation of how things were done back on Icarus base.

BTW: hasn't Col. Young has been getting grief for that kind of thinking since the show started...? :P

regards,
G.

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 19th, 2010, 10:08 AM
If Scott starts calling Greer "Huggybear" I am so out of here...

regards,
G.*epic cringe*
yikes, I hope to never hear that kind of name, LOL!

I'm waiting for the first time Rush or Young uses the other's first name. I predict sometime in season two . . .
That should prove to be really interesting, so yep, waiting and seeing :)

Artemis-Neith
May 19th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I'm an academic, and I use title+last name if I don't know the person well, but usually switch to first names once we know one another. That said, in front of student or others, I might still use title+last name. So you are my colleague Dr. Jane Smith, when we are together, working or socializing, I call you Jane, but when I speak of you in the third person to others I might refer to you as Dr. Smith (or Professor Smith).

There is also a bit of using just last name in academics/science - "Have you read Smith's last paper? Brilliant!" - I personally answer my phone with just my last name, and that is not uncommon.

Thanks for the answer. What you've explained is not that much different from our habits, with the exception that it depends on the Department you're in. Medics, and jurists, for example are much more formal than maybe humanists, or also natural scientists, and use more titles than I'm used to. (I thought a PhD is a doctor of philosophy, so a degree for an humanist?). The difference I'm familiar with is, that you use only family names with colleagues you don't know, and first name with your friends and close colleagues. That's clearly different. Everything els is a question of distance, or not, same here.
Remarkable is still that Young never use the academic title with Rush, but with other scientists. Lac of respect? Or just to make it short?

carmencatalina
May 19th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Or, that Rush wants to maintain his own control and command with regards to the other scientists on board. If he keeps them thinking that they work for him it will support his position of authority.

That's an interesting thought, but a scientist in a position of authority will usually use first names for his/her subordinates (at least, in the US and UK, the only two places where I've worked), not address them by title and last name - I still think it is Rush using formality to make distance, rather than asserting authority.

I thought a PhD is a doctor of philosophy, so a degree for an humanist?

No, a PhD is the general term for someone with a doctorate. You can have a doctorate of philosophy in physics, in mathematics, in biology, in French Romantic poetry, etc. The other possible doctorates are an MD (doctorate of medicine), a JD (doctorate of jurisprudence or law), etc.

I don't know what Rush's PhD is in, but it is almost certain that he has a PhD (or perhaps several!) - almost all lead scientists would have one, and certainly a professor at a major US or Canadian or UK university would have one.

Gollumpus
May 19th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I'm pretty sure I've heard Young refer to Rush when speaking to others, or when speaking directly to him, as "Dr. Rush". True, it doesn't happen all of the time, and maybe he has become merely Rush more often than Dr. Rush as the show has progressed.

regards,
G.

carmencatalina
May 19th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I'm pretty sure I've heard Young refer to Rush when speaking to others, or when speaking directly to him, as "Dr. Rush". True, it doesn't happen all of the time, and maybe he has become merely Rush more often than Dr. Rush as the show has progressed.

regards,
G.

I think it has happened occasionally, I can think of a couple of times when he refers to Rush in the third person as "Dr. Rush" - but directly to him, almost always it is just "Rush". And this is from the very beginning - even on the Icarus base. While Rush always (almost always? I bet there are a few exceptions) calls Young "Colonel Young" or just "Colonel".

I want to re-watch "Pain" regarding this point - I'm wondering about when Rush called Young on the radio for help during his hallucination. He was very afraid and freaking out - what did he call Young then? "Colonel Young"? Just "Young"?

Do we have a transcript that I can check?

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 19th, 2010, 10:35 AM
from Pain transcript:

In his quarters, Rush listens carefully, trying to make out any noise outside. Not hearing anything, he hurries over to his radio, grabs it and activates it.

RUSH: Colonel Young, come in.

(He gets nothing but static. He tries again.)

RUSH: Colonel Young, do you read?

carmencatalina
May 19th, 2010, 10:44 AM
You guys are quick! Apparently I can't green you - feh.

But that is interesting, no? Even freaking out, it is "Colonel Young".

Gollumpus
May 19th, 2010, 10:51 AM
It is "Col. Young". When I first heard it I wasn't sure if he had said just Young. I put it down to the accent. You know, his lines in "Trainspotting" had to be sub-titled for North American audiences.... :P

regards,
G.

carmencatalina
May 19th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I've never had any trouble with Carlyle's accent - and on Stargate, he noticeably tones it down (compare what you hear onscreen with his real accent, which you can hear in the interviews on SyFy's website) - but I used to live in Scotland, so maybe I have an unfair advantage.

Artemis-Neith
May 19th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I've never had any trouble with Carlyle's accent - and on Stargate, he noticeably tones it down (compare what you hear onscreen with his real accent, which you can hear in the interviews on SyFy's website) - but I used to live in Scotland, so maybe I have an unfair advantage.

Carlyle's accent in SGU is very good understandable, even for non English natives.

Is it possible that Young refers to Rush normally only as Rush because he considers him as a kind of subordinate? In fact, and the little mutiny didn't changed a lot here, is Young in command of the whole mission, and therefore also superior to Rush and his team. Just a thought, maybe not correct.

carmencatalina
May 19th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Is it possible that Young refers to Rush normally only as Rush because he considers him as a kind of subordinate?

I don't think so, only because you would think that Young would think the same of the rest of the science team - and yet they are usually addressed as "Dr. Volker", "Dr. Park" (I can't remember if he refers to Brody as "Brody" or "Mr. Brody"). While Young never (almost never?) calls Rush "Dr. Rush" to his face.

Gollumpus
May 19th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Carlyle's accent in SGU is very good understandable, even for non English natives.

Is it possible that Young refers to Rush normally only as Rush because he considers him as a kind of subordinate? In fact, and the little mutiny didn't changed a lot here, is Young in command of the whole mission, and therefore also superior to Rush and his team. Just a thought, maybe not correct.

Re: Caryle's accent, my tongue was planted firmly in my cheek. I have no issues with understanding him in SGU, and having grandparents from Glasgow I didn't have any problem understanding him in "Trainspotting".

Young was in command of Icarus base, which put Rush under Young's authority. That being said, why not (almost) always refer to the other academics by just their last name?

regards,
G.

carmencatalina
May 19th, 2010, 11:51 AM
That being said, why not (almost) always refer to the other academics by just their last name?

Exactly - what makes Rush so special? Or not special, as the case may be. I think it tells us something about how Young thinks of Rush, but I'm not totally sure what. Obviously, Rush makes him mental (see "justice") - only Telford apparently pisses Young off more.

Artemis-Neith
May 19th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I don't think so, only because you would think that Young would think the same of the rest of the science team - and yet they are usually addressed as "Dr. Volker", "Dr. Park" (I can't remember if he refers to Brody as "Brody" or "Mr. Brody"). While Young never (almost never?) calls Rush "Dr. Rush" to his face.

Yes, that's right, so just one of Young's habits, whatever it may mean to him. So, Rush keeps the distance to Young and his people by referring them with their military rank, the same with nearly everybody else, with the exception of Eli, cos he's a kind of student and Chloe, who is a little bit closer to him in between.

carmencatalina
May 19th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Yes, that's right, so just one of Young's habits, whatever it may mean to him. So, Rush keeps the distance to Young and his people by referring them with their military rank, the same with nearly everybody else, with the exception of Eli, cos he's a kind of student and Chloe, who is a little bit closer to him in between.

And also Wray, whom he calls "Camille" (finally getting back to the topic of the thread, sorry for the diversion into Rush & Young) - why her? She isn't like Eli (who as you mention is a bit like a student of his) or Chloe (with whom he shared the alien abduction experience, so maybe now they are closer).

Why does Rush call her "Camille" and why is Wray the only person on board (until the visit by Dr. Perry) to ever call Rush by his first name?

Artemis-Neith
May 19th, 2010, 12:03 PM
And also Wray, whom he calls "Camille" (finally getting back to the topic of the thread, sorry for the diversion into Rush & Young) - why her? She isn't like Eli (who as you mention is a bit like a student of his) or Chloe (with whom he shared the alien abduction experience, so maybe now they are closer).

Why does Rush call her "Camille" and why is Wray the only person on board (until the visit by Dr. Perry) to ever call Rush by his first name?

Uh, yes of course, just forget to mention her. I still think, they consider each other as a kind of more close colleagues, even if they work in different departments. They're more or less in the same age, and Wray is not one of the military staff.

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 19th, 2010, 12:08 PM
You guys are quick! Apparently I can't green you - feh.

But that is interesting, no? Even freaking out, it is "Colonel Young".Mental green is good :)

Exactly - what makes Rush so special? Or not special, as the case may be. I think it tells us something about how Young thinks of Rush, but I'm not totally sure what. Obviously, Rush makes him mental (see "justice") - only Telford apparently pisses Young off more.I think that's likely quite true of him in general. If Rush keeps people at a distance, the same can be said for Young.

Why does Rush call her "Camille" and why is Wray the only person on board (until the visit by Dr. Perry) to ever call Rush by his first name?I do find that interesting that he calls Wray by her first name. I mean, she's neither a scientist nor a soldier, so there's that. I wonder if it's just that? Or if they are close, and for how long have they been close?

Gollumpus
May 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I do find that interesting that he calls Wray by her first name. I mean, she's neither a scientist nor a soldier, so there's that. I wonder if it's just that? Or if they are close, and for how long have they been close?

Maybe he views her as an equal, in the sense that they are/were both department heads back on Icarus.

regards,
G.

Artemis-Neith
May 19th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Maybe he views her as an equal, in the sense that they are/were both department heads back on Icarus.

That was also what I thought. Maybe it's just that simple, and nothing really special about it. Maybe their behaviour was more easy going back on Icarus, than it is in between on Destiny. But, that's something we don't know.

EllieVee
May 19th, 2010, 06:41 PM

regards,
G.

He was Rush from the start. He's rarely been Dr Rush to Young.

Lt. Jeffer
May 19th, 2010, 07:29 PM
there is an new Kinosode where Tj and Park are talking about Rush and Mandy http://stargate.mgm.com/view/content/2192/index.html maybe after this Tj got to Rush and then ge went to Wray to talk to her before she will hear some rumous and then he was interruptet by Young

carmencatalina
May 19th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Oh, that is awesome! I especially love Dr. Park's comment at the end - I love that woman.

Gollumpus
May 19th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Yes, we need more Park.

regards,
G.

Gollumpus
May 19th, 2010, 08:26 PM
He was Rush from the start. He's rarely been Dr Rush to Young.

True that.

To my recollection, the first time we hear Young say, "Dr. Rush" is towards the end of episode two where they are sorting out away teams. Young says something about questioning whether it is a good idea to send Dr. Rush on the mission.

regards,
G.

pipi
May 19th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I think it's quite common to drop the Dr. salutation for a PHD professional. People might get the wrong idea and think you can perform surgery or give medical advise.

EllieVee
May 19th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I think it's quite common to drop the Dr. salutation for a PHD professional. People might get the wrong idea and think you can perform surgery or give medical advise.

Not in Rush's case with Young, I think.

Artemis-Neith
May 19th, 2010, 11:29 PM

And why uses everyone in the show the two letters in front of everyone with those PhD's, with the excetion of Young refers to Rush (in general)? No, that's surly not the reason. There's something else with it. Btw, you'll find some posts about this above.

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 20th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Oh, that is awesome! I especially love Dr. Park's comment at the end - I love that woman.

me too, I love her character in this show :)
It's a great kinosode and interesting that it would be brought up. I figured when TJ came across Rush holding Perry/Wray, that there might be some fallout there. I hope this plays out in episodes :)
Anyone else cheering for Park?

carmencatalina
May 20th, 2010, 09:27 AM

Not within academia/science. We pretty much all use the Dr. title in formal situations - after all, it is the correct title for the degree. I think the people on Destiny, given they were all working together on Icarus, know that Dr. Volker, Dr. Park, Dr. Rush, etc. are all scientists, not medical doctors.