Which order to watch in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which order to watch in?

Hi, I never watched B5 first time around and have the chance to do so now, but looking at the air dates on the episode guide is a bit confusing, and it seems to be a bit like BSG/Firefly in that watching in the correct story order is better than watching in the order they were first aired, so far I've been able to put this together:

Movie: The Gathering
    Seasons 1 to 3 in order
    Then follow the order posted here by Cold Fuzz:

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
    <season 4>
    406. Into the Fire
    407. Epiphanies
    408. The Illusion of Truth
    409. Atonement
    Movie: In the Beginning
    Movie: Thirdspace
    410. Racing Mars

<season 5>
    519. The Wheel of Fire
    520. Objects in Motion
    521. Objects at Rest
    Movie: River of Souls
    Movie: Legend of the Rangers
    Movie: A Call to Arms
    Crusade series
    Babylon 5: The Lost Tales
    522. Sleeping in Light
    Is this the correct order?

Thanks!

From a strictly chronological standpoint, the proper order is:

1. The Gathering
    2. Season 1
    3. Season 2
    4. Season 3
    5. 4.01-09
    6. Thirdspace [this placement is debatable because story-wise it can fit anywhere from DURING 4.09 till 4.14, I place it here due to a uniform change for one character]
    7. 4.10-21
    8. 5.01-21
    9. River of Souls
    10. Legend of the Rangers
    11. A Call to Arms
    12. Crusade series [an arrangement debate all in itself, I watch the 3rd order listed here]
    13. The Lost Tales
    14. In the Beginning
    15. 5.22 "Sleeping in Light"
    16. 4.22 "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars"

Having just watched things in this order not too long ago, "Deconstruction" doesn't quite work as a watch-through ending and is probably better watched at the end of season 4 where it aired. But from a strictly chronological standpoint, it's placed at the very end.
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 16 May 2010, 02:58 PM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

ah many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

The Gathering
        Season 1
        Season 2
        Season 3
        4.01-09
        Thirdspace [this placement is debatable, I place it here due to a uniform change for one character]
        4.10-21
        5.01-21
        River of Souls
        Legend of the Rangers
        A Call to Arms
        Crusade series [an arrangement debate all in itself]
        The Lost Tales
        In the Beginning
        5.22 "Sleeping in Light"
        4.22 "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars"
        Excellent chronology Digi. I can't disagree with this at all.

I would like to point out to Ian that B5 doesn't suffer from the same screwed up order that happened with Firefly or even the B5 spinoff Crusade so I'd recommend just watching everything in production order. The only problem with this, is Thirdspace. It's set during season four, but aired smack in the middle of season five so it's very out of place. But with that exception, B5 has a very long story so if you watch it chonologically, you end up losing a lot of character revelations, plots and development that are explored during the show.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
          ah many thanks
          np

The reasoning behind the season 4 and 5 finales is kind of interesting.... There are certain story threads in seasons 3 and 4 that demanded resolution, and for a while it was looking like the show wouldn't get a fifth season. So they wrote and filmed "Sleeping in Light" to be a series finale and conclusion to end at the end of season 4--what they were expecting would be the end of the series.

But then a 5th season pickup came, and JMS (the brain behind the B5verse) didn't want "Sleeping in Light" to be the season 4 closer because it was intended to conclude the series. So they wrote and threw together "Deconstruction" as an epilogue of sorts and aired that as the season 4 finale. Consequently, "Sleeping in Light" was moved to the end of season 5 to be the series finale--as it was intended.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
            Excellent chronology Digi. I can't disagree with this at all.
            Cheers

I would like to point out to Ian that B5 doesn't suffer from the same screwed up order that happened with Firefly or even the B5 spinoff Crusade so I'd recommend just watching everything in production order.
            Saber's absolutely right....even though certain B5 orders can be a little screwy, they're not nearly so bad as Firefly's.

B5 has a very long story so if you watch it chonologically, you end up losing a lot of character revelations, plots and development that are explored during the show.
            I really disagree with that....the 'prequel' film is actually framed after the conclusion of the regular series, so it doesn't spoil anything at all.

Comment

In The Beginning is framed after it, but the fact the story shows the Earth/Minbari war can also cause it to be viewed before the series. It can happen, and it is an issue of people viewing it from the Earth/Minabari war point of view rather than Londo telling a story.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah. But it's framed (and therefore, SET) after the series. So no harm done

Comment

In The Beginning is framed after it, but the fact the story shows the Earth/Minbari war can also cause it to be viewed before the series. It can happen, and it is an issue of people viewing it from the Earth/Minabari war point of view rather than Londo telling a story.
                  I've actually suggested to acquaintances in real life that they watch In the Beginning first since the majority of its storyline takes places during the Earth/Minbari War, regardless of where it's "framed." Having the entire series continuously make references to that war and not have actually seen it proved to be awkward watching for said acquaintances.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                    I've actually suggested to acquaintances in real life that they watch In the Beginning first since the majority of its storyline takes places during the Earth/Minbari War, regardless of where it's "framed." Having the entire series continuously make references to that war and not have actually seen it proved to be awkward watching for said acquaintances.
                    That's a horrible suggestion....plot points are taken for granted in In The Beginning which aren't revealed in the series until late season 3!

Comment

That's a horrible suggestion....plot points are taken for granted in In The Beginning which aren't revealed in the series until late season 3!
                      *chuckles* It made plenty of sense to the people who I suggested it to, especially after they watched the whole series and complained that they would've wanted the Earth/Minbari War revealed discussed long before season 4.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'll bet they're those weirdos who read the last couple pages of a book first, too

Comment

I'll bet they're those weirdos who read the last couple pages of a book first, too
                          It made little difference to me in the end since I'm not even friends with those weirdos now.
                          sigpic

Comment

1. The Gathering
                            2. Season 1
                            3. Season 2
                            4. Season 3
                            5. 4.01-09
                            6. Thirdspace [this placement is debatable because story-wise it can fit anywhere from DURING 4.09 till 4.14, I place it here due to a uniform change for one character]
                            7. 4.10-21
                            8. 5.01-21
                            9. River of Souls
                            10. Legend of the Rangers
                            11. A Call to Arms
                            12. Crusade series [an arrangement debate all in itself, I watch the 3rd order listed here]
                            13. The Lost Tales
                            14. In the Beginning
                            15. 5.22 "Sleeping in Light"
                            16. 4.22 "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars"

Having just watched things in this order not too long ago, "Deconstruction" doesn't quite work as a watch-through ending and is probably better watched at the end of season 4 where it aired. But from a strictly chronological standpoint, it's placed at the very end.
                            This is very helpful. My Father-in-Law recently brought over the entire (or so it seems) set and I've never seen it before. I'd have been lost figuring it out.
                            sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Glad I could (continue to) help

Comment

Working...
                              X