I'm giving B5 another shot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm giving B5 another shot.

I recently decided to give B5 another shot. I tried it last year, and I didn't like it much. I think I wnet into with too high expectations because I had just finished watching BSG for the first time, and people were telling me how good B5, some people were even saying that it was better than BSG. By now I've come to terms with the fact that no other sci fi show will be able engage me in the same way as BSG.

I've just finished watching The Gathering, and my first impressions is that it was mediocre, but I'll keep watching for the time being. I really don't like Sinclair much. Hell, Captain Sherrypie is better commander in my opinion.

Like I said, I'll keep watching but I'm not impressed.
    sigpic

I wouldn't have compared B5 to BSG, not because one is better than the other but because they are fairly different.

I can understand your reservations, and I do agree, Sinclair isn't brilliant, but I would hope that if you persevere you'll get an idea of why the series is so highly regarded.

The Gathering, in my opinion, is a poor representation of the series as a whole - a lot was re-tooled between it and Midnight on the Firing Line (1st ep of season 1). The acting in the early seasons was pretty awful (the guy who played Sinclair was a stage actor and not used to television, if I remember correctly), but hopefully, the intricate plots and concepts (many of which have probably been borrowed by other series since, somewhat diluting the original) will win you over.

If not, well, at least you tried.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Keep in mind that Sinclaire is only in the first season. After the first then alot of changes are made very quickly one of which is the inclusion of Captain John Sherridan.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
        I wouldn't have compared B5 to BSG, not because one is better than the other but because they are fairly different.

I can understand your reservations, and I do agree, Sinclair isn't brilliant, but I would hope that if you persevere you'll get an idea of why the series is so highly regarded.

The Gathering, in my opinion, is a poor representation of the series as a whole - a lot was re-tooled between it and Midnight on the Firing Line (1st ep of season 1). The acting in the early seasons was pretty awful (the guy who played Sinclair was a stage actor and not used to television, if I remember correctly), but hopefully, the intricate plots and concepts (many of which have probably been borrowed by other series since, somewhat diluting the original) will win you over.

If not, well, at least you tried.
        Well, I've promised myself to give the show a chance and I watch the entire first season. If I find a reason to keep watching by then, I will. I've just started on Midnight on the Firing Line, and it's okay so far, but the Centauri still annoy the hell out of me. Ivanova seems like a pretty good character, but I'm not sure about the actress. Every line she has delivered so far feels a bit stiff and wooden (here comes the sex jokes), but maybe she'll improve as the show goes on.

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        Keep in mind that Sinclaire is only in the first season. After the first then alot of changes are made very quickly one of which is the inclusion of Captain John Sherridan.
        Huh. I didn't know that. Maybe I'll like him more than Sinclair.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
          Well, I've promised myself to give the show a chance and I watch the entire first season. If I find a reason to keep watching by then, I will. I've just started on Midnight on the Firing Line, and it's okay so far, but the Centauri still annoy the hell out of me. Ivanova seems like a pretty good character, but I'm not sure about the actress. Every line she has delivered so far feels a bit stiff and wooden (here comes the sex jokes), but maybe she'll improve as the show goes on.
          Actually, the first season is a bit clunky. Things really start moving in season two. But you may at least get a taste of what's to come - be warned, there are some pretty bad episodes in s1 as far as acting, writing and concept go, and the major arcs of the series don't really get going.

As for the acting...yeah, if anything, that's my biggest complaint about B5, but it does get a bit better. But Ivanova was, in my opinion at least, one of the best things about the show.

Most people do.
          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
          sigpic
          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I was in the same boat as you not long back and now I love the show. First season dragged on a bit, but then it all got awesome towards the end of the second, and yes, I prefer Sheridan too.

Comment

I'm the same as you. I watched The Gathering some time last year but didn't find the show interesting enough to continue watching.

I am searching for a new sci-fi show to watch though, and this one seems to be liked by a lot of people so I'm also considering giving it another shot.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                Actually, the first season is a bit clunky. Things really start moving in season two. But you may at least get a taste of what's to come - be warned, there are some pretty bad episodes in s1 as far as acting, writing and concept go, and the major arcs of the series don't really get going.

As for the acting...yeah, if anything, that's my biggest complaint about B5, but it does get a bit better. But Ivanova was, in my opinion at least, one of the best things about the show.

Most people do.
                Yeah, that's consistent with what I've heard so far.

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                I'm the same as you. I watched The Gathering some time last year but didn't find the show interesting enough to continue watching.

I am searching for a new sci-fi show to watch though, and this one seems to be liked by a lot of people so I'm also considering giving it another shot.
                Maybe you ought to give it another shot too. Worst thing that happens is that you waste several hours of your life.

Midnight on the Firing line was decent, but nothing impressive. I'm about to start watching Soul Hunter now.
                sigpic

Comment

stick with it babylon 5 comes alive in season 2 and is just awsome from then on
                  sigpic
                  The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Sheriden: "We have an open door policy."
                    Ivanova: "And an open airlock policy too."
                    Sheriden: "Ivanova!"
                    Ivanova: "Sorry."

Love those lines
                    sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

I am also a new fan, and my advice is to pay careful attention to the plot and character development. I think that the story here is outstanding. Sometimes the acting leaves a little to be desired, but it does get quite a bit better. Also, Ivanova is supposed to be a bit stiff and stand-offish, I think. So part of that is the actress but perhaps part of it is that she really is uncomfortable with normal human reactions i.e. out of the military setting.

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post

Like a number of people in this thread, I didn't care for B5 very much when I first watched it back in the 90s. Part of it I think was impatience on my part, especially in season 1 with the time it took for the main story line to unfold. I'm glad I stuck with it though as it has become my all-time favorite in sci-fi along with Deep Space 9.
                        sigpic

Comment

It just does not get good until season 2....and Sherypie has a good role model

Comment

I've just watched Soul Hunter and Born to the Purple. Soul Hunter was okay and the concept was pretty interesting, but in my opinion, Born to the Purple was the worst episode yet. It just left a bad taste in my mouth.
                            sigpic

Comment

I've just watched Soul Hunter and Born to the Purple. Soul Hunter was okay and the concept was pretty interesting, but in my opinion, Born to the Purple was the worst episode yet. It just left a bad taste in my mouth.
                              Well, it may just be that B5 isn't for you, but I would urge you to keep watching until season 2 kicks in - that's when things start to click and the real story gets going! Season 1 is basically just setting the scene, laying the foundations so the big story has something to work off.

(And when you're in season 2, we'll tell you it's season 3 that's the most important, and so on.... )

Seriously though, if you aren't interested by about halfway through season 2, then it's probably not going to be your thing. Which would be a shame, because there are some brilliant things to come, but I suppose it's just not possible for everybody to like Babylon 5.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X