PDA

View Full Version : Jonas was planned to be Atlantis

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 01:18 PM
I was reading an article with Corin Nemec, i read it at corinnemec.com (i think thats the url) and found out that his character was supposed to transfer to Stargate: Atlantis, but it didn't happen. If Jonas 'was' in the show, would you dislike the show or think nothing about it?

Crazedwraith
May 15th, 2004, 01:24 PM
My opinion would stay the same: I'll wait and judge it when i see it.
However i would be more hopeful.

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 01:25 PM
i would think nothing of it, originally i wanted him to transfer to the spin-off, the character had good potential but was underused. I now think though that i am hap with how atlantis has turned out character wise and i cant wait to see how the characters relate to eachother and develop

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 01:27 PM
I think both ways :), i don't know, i have mixed feelings with Mckay being in the show...

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 01:32 PM
when i heard Mckay was in it i was so happy, its a good character and i never even considered putting him into atlantis

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 01:44 PM
I think I would have been more encouraged, in general, to know that Jonas was supposed to be in Atlantis. First they dumped Corin completely, then they dumped Jessica Steen and replaced her with someone else, then they dumped one of the other characters and made him McKay instead... I'd have a much stronger sense that TPTB actually knew what they were doing and that they were committed to supporting the cast and the characters and the storyline itself. It would also help lessen my feeling that TPTB hate Jonas and want nothing more to do with him. I would have real hope for the show knowing that Jonas would be a part of it and that his storyline- especially all that tantalizing stuff about his genetics- wouldn't die and might actually have some significance.

I love McKay, I'm very glad he's going to be on the show and it does give me SOME hope, but I'd still much rather have seen Jonas. Or better yet, have them both! I can see a sick sort of friendship developing there. ;)

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 01:46 PM
who knows this is just the beginning theres still time for jonas to show up in atlantis

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 01:48 PM
who knows this is just the beginning theres still time for jonas to show up in atlantis

Yeah, right. Pull the other one, it's got bells on. :P

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Yeah, right. Pull the other one, it's got bells on. :P

you say that and im thinin of santa's sleigh flying over kelowna

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 01:54 PM
you say that and im thinin of santa's sleigh flying over kelowna

Yep, and there I am with a bow on my head, sitting under Jonas's tree... :D

Or were you thinking more of Santa Goa'uld?

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Yep, and there I am with a bow on my head, sitting under Jonas's tree... :D

Or were you thinking more of Santa Goa'uld?

no i was just thinkin of the old guy flying around spreading the christmas cheer. what kind of present are you, perhaps a style consultant help him look more usable.

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 02:02 PM
no i was just thinkin of the old guy flying around spreading the christmas cheer. what kind of present are you, perhaps a style consultant help him look more usable.

Oh, I can spread a little cheer when I want to. ;) As for what kind of gift... research assistant, gal Friday, Jill of All Trades, personal promoter and a few other things which are best left unmentioned on a PG forum. ;)

On topic: I still think having Jonas on Atlantis would have been better, even sight unseen. It might even restore a bit of my faith in TPTB... although likely I'd be glooming and dooming about what new horrors they'd visit upon his character in Atlantis. :)

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 02:05 PM
still whats done is done, who knows miracles could happen, jonas could live on 34th street. :D

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 02:07 PM
still whats done is done, who knows miracles could happen, jonas could live on 34th street. :D

*claps hands* I do believe in fairies! I do believe in fairies!

Wait, wrong movie.

And no, I am in no way saying that Jonas is a fairy. :P:P

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 02:10 PM
And no, I am in no way saying that Jonas is a fairy. :P:P

you realise everytime you say that a kelownan fairy dies.

i think jonas would make a better elf than a fairy

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 02:13 PM
How halrious.

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 02:14 PM
i think jonas would make a better elf than a fairy

He has the build for it. Betcha he could whump that ponce Legolas's sorry butt. ;)

Betcha he'd make a good Puck, though, bouncing around the stage with his devilish dimple-enhanced grin and tight tights... :D

Er... er... on topic. Atlantis. Water. Jonas. How could you possibly go wrong with that combination? What were the writers thinking?? Denying us that... the monsters...

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 02:17 PM
I would have enjoyed Jonas on Atlantis, but right now, all i can do is pray and have hope. :)

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 02:18 PM
He has the build for it. Betcha he could whump that ponce Legolas's sorry butt. ;)

Betcha he'd make a good Puck, though, bouncing around the stage with his devilish dimple-enhanced grin and tight tights... :D

Er... er... on topic. Atlantis. Water. Jonas. How could you possibly go wrong with that combination? What were the writers thinking?? Denying us that... the monsters...

im a bloke so im not going to comment on the water thing, but the elf comment im in agreement with

Jonas has to return!!!

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 02:18 PM
I would have enjoyed Jonas on Atlantis, but right now, all i can do is pray and have hope. :)

Hope... I remember hope. It was a fragile little creature, tenuous as a soap bubble. Then TPTB came along and crushed it. :( Now all I have is this little smear on the ground that looks like a broken heart...

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 02:20 PM
How dare they... :(

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Hope... I remember hope. It was a fragile little creature, tenuous as a soap bubble. Then TPTB came along and crushed it. :( Now all I have is this little smear on the ground that looks like a broken heart...

there is always hope remember what the bible says are the greatest assets faith, hop and charity and the greatest of these is hop *dang wrong show again*

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 02:23 PM
:) refreshing...

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 02:25 PM
there is always hope remember what the bible says are the greatest assets faith, hop and charity and the greatest of these is hop *dang wrong show again*

Reminds me of that quote from Buffy:

Minion: Because in Mercy does your power lie?
Glory: No, brainless! In Torture, Death, and Chaos does my power lie!

With Glory representing TPTB, of course. Although, really, she also speaks for me, in a roundabout sort of way. :)

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Ah, I loved when Glory said that in Buffy, i was like, 'biatch'. Haha...

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 02:27 PM
i can see the death and chaos (with the ship, hold on im getting confused we keep switching threads) anyway i dont see the torture, no wait as minute you mean torture to the fans dont you

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Eh? :S

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 02:31 PM
i can see the death and chaos (with the ship, hold on im getting confused we keep switching threads) anyway i dont see the torture, no wait as minute you mean torture to the fans dont you

Absotively. Er... which thread are we on now? Jonas. Right. They torture us by introducing him and giving him all this great potential, and then suddenly he's gone, never to be heard from again. Reminds me of another quote.

Fortune plango vulnera
stillantibus ocellis
quod sua michi munera
subtrahit rebellis.
--
I bemoan the wounds of Fortune
with weeping eyes
for the gifts she made me
she perversely takes away.

Of course, if any of TPTB were a "she" we'd probably still have Jonas. :P

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Jonas deserves to return, Daniel needs him (laughs).

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Jonas deserves to return, Daniel needs him (laughs).

HA! :P Don't like the ship potential, but I do agree that the two played well off each other.

And to get this back on topic (there's a topic??) I think that Jonas would have made an excellent foil for McKay, and vice versa.

*checks to make sure she's on the right thread*

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Yes, back to the topic topic :)

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Yes, back to the topic topic :)

:P Well, as someone pointed out (and I agree), Jonas showed that McKay didn't need Carter in order to be a sustainable character. Granted, the snarkage/sparkage factor is much higher with Sam, but McKay still managed to get in some good snipes in his scenes with Jonas. I'd like to see them have MORE scenes together.

Too bad TPTB hate Jonas. :P

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Do the TPTB really dislike Corin/Jonas? Those darn TPTB... :)

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 03:04 PM
HA! :P Don't like the ship potential, *checks to make sure she's on the right thread*

ship between jonas and danial? that would be kinda freaky in my opinion

*shadow maybe we should have our own thread for our wacky never ending conversations*

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Do the TPTB really dislike Corin/Jonas? Those darn TPTB... :)

Oh, I'm sure they think Corin is "very nice", but if they really cared about Jonas I think they would have made a little more effort to develop his character and keep him around. Or at least keep the memory of him around. Just my opinion. You're welcome to disagree but you will, of course, be wrong. ;)

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 03:17 PM
I disagree AND agree :) Because i also think they should have let Jonas stay. Maybe i'll write an angry letter to them...

majorsal
May 15th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Oh, I'm sure they think Corin is "very nice", but if they really cared about Jonas I think they would have made a little more effort to develop his character and keep him around. Or at least keep the memory of him around. Just my opinion.

What bothers me the most about how Jonas was handled was his exit and return. It's like the writers decided to boot him out quickly, and then make very little deal of his return. THE most wonderful relationship to me that Jonas had in the sixth season was with Teal'c. And it gave some of the best stuff for Teal'c to do in a looooong time. So, Jonas returns in Fallout, and very little if any buddy moments were done between Jonas and Teal'c. Why? Nice stuff with Sam, but I always felt that Jonas and Teal'c were actual friends, not just colleagues. And what about the rumors of Corin being on Atlantis? I just don't understand the way he's been treated, but I don't understand a lot of things about the show now.

Sally :S

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 03:21 PM
I repeat, I repeat repeat, i'm going to write an angry letter, haha... :)

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 03:23 PM
*shadow maybe we should have our own thread for our wacky never ending conversations*

*gasp!* You're trying to get me alone somewhere, aren't you? :eek: My mother taught me not to go anywhere with strangers. Can't imagine them getting much stranger than you. ;)

Still, if you insist (or more likely if we get kicked out for polluting the various threads) I may take it under advisement. :P

Maybe i'll write an angry letter to them...

You can go ahead and try. More power to ya. I've started on a few letters myself, but they always end up getting too angry or cynical or depressing and I know none of it would do any good anyway. Helps me feel a little better, though.

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 03:27 PM
*gasp!* You're trying to get me alone somewhere, aren't you? :eek: My mother taught me not to go anywhere with strangers. Can't imagine them getting much stranger than you. ;)

Still, if you insist (or more likely if we get kicked out for polluting the various threads) I may take it under advisement. :P

that got me laughing, i would never heart you we need all the anti-shippers we can get (uh is this the right thread). i bet other users are already making bets about how long till we get the boot

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 03:33 PM
You can go ahead and try. More power to ya. I've started on a few letters myself, but they always end up getting too angry or cynical or depressing and I know none of it would do any good anyway. Helps me feel a little better, though.
:) I know how you feel, all my letters are making my head hurt... :(

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 03:35 PM
What bothers me the most about how Jonas was handled was his exit and return. It's like the writers decided to boot him out quickly, and then make very little deal of his return. THE most wonderful relationship to me that Jonas had in the sixth season was with Teal'c. And it gave some of the best stuff for Teal'c to do in a looooong time. So, Jonas returns in Fallout, and very little if any buddy moments were done between Jonas and Teal'c. Why? Nice stuff with Sam, but I always felt that Jonas and Teal'c were actual friends, not just colleagues. And what about the rumors of Corin being on Atlantis? I just don't understand the way he's been treated, but I don't understand a lot of things about the show now.

I agree wholeheartedly. S6 was the first time I really saw Teal'c as a character and not just the Stoic Warrior Dude (a role to which he has since returned, unfortunately). The treatment of Corin bothers me tremendously, but out of respect for the real people involved (and fear of getting smited by the mods), I'm trying to leave that particular aspect out of my posts 'cause I'd only get that much angrier and vitriolic. ;) For a while, Jonas was my number one reason to look forward to Atlantis. A very short while, unfortunately.

*blithely ignores the_fours, proving she can stay totally on topic* :P

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 03:35 PM
if this was gateaholics annonymous you would probably be told to write a letter to tptb that you forgive them for what they've done :D

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 03:37 PM
if this was gateaholics annonymous you would probably be told to write a letter to tptb that you forgive them for what they've done :D

"Forgive them" my Aunt Bertha! :P I know exactly who's to blame for the state of things, and "blame" is the right word (from my perspective) and TPTB are right in the crosshairs.

Jonas deserves to be on Atlantis. That's probably why he isn't. :P

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Haha! Good point.

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 03:39 PM
makes sence tptb are the ones who made the show what it is

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 03:42 PM
So are u saying the show is 'bad' or 'good'?

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 03:47 PM
So are u saying the show is 'bad' or 'good'?

im saying i like it for now, but you got to give them some credit its got such a large fan base that its impossible to please everybody

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 03:49 PM
I agree, its like a movie star/tv star/etc, not everyone likes the person, while another group of people love the person.

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 03:49 PM
makes sence tptb are the ones who made the show what it is

VERY well put! It's that kind of subtle open-to-interpretation kind of writing that the show needs. ;) You're right, TPTB made the show what it is (for better or worse) and I hope they get exactly what they deserve! :D

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 03:50 PM
So what exactly do u think they deserve? Punishment for bad writing? (Laughs hard)

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 03:52 PM
So what exactly do u think they deserve? Punishment for bad writing? (Laughs hard)

get the replicators to look in their heads to see if their are any good story ideas

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Although i think some storylines are boring/bad, i am really happy that they aren't repeating storylines, i like to thank them for that at least.

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 03:54 PM

Karma will catch up with them eventually. For better or worse. :P "Punishment", as such, won't be necessary. Having the show bomb horribly this next season and having Atlantis tank alongside it might be fitting, but I'd hate for everyone else to suffer because of TPTB. I'll just wait and see what happens. Well, metaphorically "see", I'm not planning to actually WATCH S8. :P

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Karma will catch up with them eventually. For better or worse. :P "Punishment", as such, won't be necessary. Having the show bomb horribly this next season and having Atlantis tank alongside it might be fitting, but I'd hate for everyone else to suffer because of TPTB. I'll just wait and see what happens. Well, metaphorically "see", I'm not planning to actually WATCH S8. :P

wot goes around comes around

i thought you had selected a few s8 eps to look out for?

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 03:58 PM
i thought you had selected a few s8 eps to look out for?

I'd planned to watch the ep(s) with Pete, but now I'm not so sure. It's almost a case of me liking Pete too much to want to see him again... because I know what's going to happen, what HAS to happen, eventually. Bye bye Pete and helloooo Jack! :(

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Without a Nielsen Box, viewers who dislike/won't watch S8 won't matter, haha...

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 04:01 PM
I'd planned to watch the ep(s) with Pete, but now I'm not so sure. It's almost a case of me liking Pete too much to want to see him again... because I know what's going to happen, what HAS to happen, eventually. Bye bye Pete and helloooo Jack! :(

well though the situation with pete doesnt look good maybe those eps will suprise you (and me) i can see the same damn thing happening

*this is the wrong thread for this :eek: *

on topic im sure they will bring him back

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 04:03 PM
I agree, i'm pretty sure they will bring him back (ok, maybe i'm not so sure...) Haha...

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 04:06 PM
*this is the wrong thread for this :eek: *

Whoops. ;) Well, I don't think we'll be seeing Jonas again, either. Not on SG-1 and certainly not on Atlantis. In fact, I kinda hope we don't, 'cause then I'd have to get together that Ma'at costume and post the pics and I think she's kind of a severe dresser. ;)

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Whoops. ;) Well, I don't think we'll be seeing Jonas again, either. Not on SG-1 and certainly not on Atlantis. In fact, I kinda hope we don't, 'cause then I'd have to get together that Ma'at costume and post the pics and I think she's kind of a severe dresser. ;)

just for that i hope jonas does show up ;)

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 04:09 PM
just for that i hope jonas does show up ;)

Fortunately, I left myself a loophole: it has to be a multi-ep arc. Even it TPTB bring him back for a token appearance so they can all pat themselves on the back and congratulate themselves for "proving" they don't hate Jonas... there's no way in hell he'll be in more than one ep. :P

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Fortunately, I left myself a loophole: it has to be a multi-ep arc. Even it TPTB bring him back for a token appearance so they can all pat themselves on the back and congratulate themselves for "proving" they don't hate Jonas... there's no way in hell he'll be in more than one ep. :P

hope he shows up in the s8 two part finale :D

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 04:22 PM
hope he shows up in the s8 two part finale :D

The only way that'll happen is if I piss off TPTB so much they bring him back just to spite me. ;) My ego may be pretty big at times, but it isn't that big! hehe. And even my paranoia can't cover a leap as large as that.

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 04:23 PM
you never know tptb are so unpridictable

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Hehe, unpredictable...

prion
May 15th, 2004, 05:05 PM
from the article:
NEMEC: I was told that my character was going to be spun-off into the next series, into Stargate: Atlantis. That was the initial idea that was offered to me: that my character would go from Stargate to the spin-off and then from there to wherever. That was the initial package that was initially presented. If it happened that way, great. It didn't.

That was probably the initial offering when they signed him for season six which, as we know, didn't work out for whatever reason (and I seriously doubt fans will ever be privy to the behind the scenes politics, etc. on the show). He's not the first actor it's happened to, won't be the last, and heck, this happens ALL the time in the business world.

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 05:07 PM
He's not the first actor it's happened to, won't be the last, and heck, this happens ALL the time in the business world.

Doesn't mean we have to like it. ;)

SGSlugger
May 15th, 2004, 05:25 PM
ShadowMaat and the_fours - very intesting conversation. :p

I would have a little bit more hope for Atlantis if Jonas was to have gone over. Simply because I've gotten to know him.

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Right now, i want a full episode dedicated to daniel/jonas, but ya know, thats off topic, haha... Anyways, i wonder why they didn't put Jonas in Atlantis.

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Anyways, i wonder why they didn't put Jonas in Atlantis.

The official story is that because of S7 and the return of Daniel it made it unfeasible (is that a word?) to keep Jonas around, so they shipped him off to Kelowna instead of Atlantis and dropped the whole idea.

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 06:52 PM
That idea was just retarded... Well... back to praying :)

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Well... back to praying :)

Personally, I find that preying is much more effective. ;) *cues the Jaws theme*

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Maybe your right... :)

Mio
May 15th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Ship Jonas off to Ida, let the asgard keep him in a test tube :D

Jonas
May 15th, 2004, 08:23 PM
I definately wanted Jonas to be in Atlantis. It would have been an opportuinty to develop the character more, work out his genetic "interest" and get out of the shadow of Daniel.

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2004, 08:26 PM
shadow of Daniel.

Hey hey, now. I am NO ONE's Shadow. Least of all Daniel's. ;) Tho for Jonas I might be willing to make some exceptions. ;)

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 11:57 PM
i think both daniel/jonas were both in each others shadow :)

ShadowMaat
May 16th, 2004, 06:11 AM
i think both daniel/jonas were both in each others shadow :)

Er... I think it's probably best if I don't comment on that. *tries to look innocent* ;)

Slash-wise, I still don't like it and character-wise I agree that the pairing could have had a lot more to offer us. But I'd still be happy to have Jonas spun off to Atlantis. :P

petzke_42
May 16th, 2004, 09:57 AM
I think we will be seeing Jonas in the future.

Elwe Singollo
May 16th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Er... I think it's probably best if I don't comment on that. *tries to look innocent* ;)
You nauhgty..naughty...person;)

ShadowMaat
May 16th, 2004, 11:54 AM
You nauhgty..naughty...person;)

Yes, maybe, but it was a lovely, lovely thought. Thanks ever so much for the visual. ;)

Petzke, I think you're right. We WILL be seeing Jonas again. He's probably in at least one or two scenes that they'll have to use in a flashback at some point. :P

the_fours
May 16th, 2004, 12:07 PM
. He's probably in at least one or two scenes that they'll have to use in a flashback at some point. :P

yeah thats true theres bound to be an s8 flashback

Elwe Singollo
May 16th, 2004, 04:02 PM
My drpepper would love for him to come back.

Livi2Jack
May 16th, 2004, 08:44 PM
It's a stretch. He has no reason to leave his situation on Kelowna. He is destined to be its ruler. Why get yourself stranded?

Elwe Singollo
May 16th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Then make a storyline with Jonas being leader, haha...

petzke_42
May 16th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Yes, maybe, but it was a lovely, lovely thought. Thanks ever so much for the visual. ;)

Petzke, I think you're right. We WILL be seeing Jonas again. He's probably in at least one or two scenes that they'll have to use in a flashback at some point. :P

Even though that is in jest, I will still take the satisfaction of being right ;)

ShadowMaat
May 17th, 2004, 03:29 AM
It's a stretch. He has no reason to leave his situation on Kelowna. He is destined to be its ruler. Why get yourself stranded?

Really?? Now see, I never once got the impression that Jonas was in any way meant to be a leader of ANYTHING. I got the feeling that like a spoiled group of children suddenly faced with harsh reality they automatically reached out and snatched Jonas like a security blanket to make themselves feel beeter. But Jonas is still, essentially, just a blanket, and they're going to go back to playing their little politicking games while they shove him off into some dark corner to "deal with" whatever current problems they have. But he'll also be right there if they ever need the blanket again.

Given time (and a viewing of the Atlantis premiere) I could probably logic up a reason for Jonas to leave his current "situation" (and in my eyes I would think him rather desperate to get away, but trapped by a foolish loyalty). Maybe I'll spin off an idea or two. We'll see when the time comes. ;)

Elwe Singollo
May 17th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Hehe, get a spin-off with Jonas himself :)

ShadowMaat
May 17th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Hehe, get a spin-off with Jonas himself :)

If Jonas goes, his Earth-bound "research assistant" will probably follow him. :D

SGSlugger
May 17th, 2004, 12:58 PM
There would be soooooooo many ways to get Jonas onboard the SG-Atlantis team.
Heck, they could even do a reality tv spin-off and have it focus around Jonas and his lab assistant, and the politicol dealings of Kelwona, or Langaria....or whatever its now called. ;)

ShadowMaat
May 17th, 2004, 01:03 PM
There would be soooooooo many ways to get Jonas onboard the SG-Atlantis team.

Yeah. Too bad TPTB aren't interested. :P It'll probably piss me off enough that I will attempt to write something and "fix" their "mistake". ;)

Heck, they could even do a reality tv spin-off and have it focus around Jonas and his lab assistant, and the politicol dealings of Kelwona, or Langaria....or whatever its now called. ;)

That assistant of his is the only reason he hasn't hauled off and set a naquadria bomb to blow up the whole bloody planet. :D She can be a good source of stress relief for him... Y'know, helping him talk out his problems and stuff like that. :D

Elwe Singollo
May 17th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Freakin A, blowing Jonas's planet would be so fun!

Jonas
May 17th, 2004, 09:03 PM
You know season 6 definately seemed like it was setting Jonas up for Atlantis what with his genetic intrest from Nirrti, his super-speed reading/learning, and then his precongitive abilities in "Prophecy". If you've read spoilers from Atlantis , then you know that Jonas would have fit right in with the team.

Supreme Commander Thor
May 17th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Jonas would have fit right in with the team.
Yeah, no doubt... that would have been cool. But maybe now they will use him in seaon 8

Elwe Singollo
May 17th, 2004, 09:44 PM
I know, his storyline would be perfect for Atlantis.

ShadowMaat
May 18th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Yeah, no doubt... that would have been cool. But maybe now they will use him in seaon 8

Riiiight, and maybe Siler will be joining the team as the military leader. :P

Sorry, I don't mean to keep crushing spurts of optimism like that, I just think that we have zero chance of ever seeing Jonas again, except possibly (say, less than 5% chance) in some token appearance so the writers can show they haven't "forgotten" him.

the_fours
May 18th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Riiiight, and maybe Siler will be joining the team as the military leader. :P

Sorry, I don't mean to keep crushing spurts of optimism like that, I just think that we have zero chance of ever seeing Jonas again, except possibly (say, less than 5% chance) in some token appearance so the writers can show they haven't "forgotten" him.

unfortunately, i have to say im with shadow on this one jonas is gone and i dont think he'll be back. Its a shame.

keshou
May 18th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Yep I think Jonas is gone and won't be back. Maybe a one-episode appearance on SG-1.

I have to say that even if Jonas had stayed on SG-1 for season 7 and Daniel hadn't come back, I'm not sure they would have *ever* put the Jonas character in a lead position on Atlantis.

Why do I say that? The descriptions of the current team on Atlantis. If Jonas was supposed to be the "Sheppard" character, the action guy, the leader of the team, it doesn't fit. Reading Sheppard's biography he sounds like a Jack O'Neill-type, your typical leading-man character. Someone TPTB and MGM/Scifi would be comfortable with.

I could see Jonas being on the Atlantis team as a supporting character but I don't think his character was really designed or developed to be a "lead" character, at least what I saw in season 6. Maybe it didn't fit into their budget (especially after the decline of the US dollar) to use Jonas (Corin) in a supporting role.

The more puzzling decision to me was the change of actors for the Dr. Weir character. I liked Jessica Steen in the role but there's obviously something TPTB saw in two episodes that they didn't like. So they're perfectly capable of changing their minds without fan influence. Heck most of the fans (across party lines) seemed to like Steen in the role as far as I can tell.

ShadowMaat
May 18th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Oh, I doubt very much that he was intended to be the lead in Atlantis. He's not a military guy. His role was probably written out completely. Ingram/McKay could have filled at least part of his function, the science-y part. Then again, maybe not. It's hard to speculate. But I definitely don't think he was supposed to "be" Sheppard.

GateGipsy
May 18th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Oh, I doubt very much that he was intended to be the lead in Atlantis. He's not a military guy. His role was probably written out completely. Ingram/McKay could have filled at least part of his function, the science-y part. Then again, maybe not. It's hard to speculate. But I definitely don't think he was supposed to "be" Sheppard.
I don't think that, at the stage they were thinking of transferring Jonas to Atlantis, that the show's set up of characters were anything like they are now. Indeed I rather suspect that the entire premise of the show was different. Probably a lot more based around Jonas' evolved DNA. In that case, he could have been the lead character. Back before Sheppard was a twinkle in the writers' eyes :)

ShadowMaat
May 18th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Indeed I rather suspect that the entire premise of the show was different. Probably a lot more based around Jonas' evolved DNA. In that case, he could have been the lead character. Back before Sheppard was a twinkle in the writers' eyes :)

Yes, but I'm trying to to think about that because it'll just make me all the more upset and heartbroken that it DIDN'T work out that way. :(

Thanks for the reminder. :P

the_fours
May 18th, 2004, 06:35 AM
i never saw jonas as a lead character (and i doubt i will ever be able to see it) but he is a great character which deserves to be evolved into something better

ShadowMaat
May 18th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Point is (to me, anyway) he would've played an important part in the show regardless of whether or not he was the "lead" character.

Elwe Singollo
May 18th, 2004, 12:08 PM
In my opinion, there isn't really a 'lead' character, because RDA is 'supposingly' the lead character, but they found a way to make other people 'leader' like without being a leader. I think that made sense...?

**Osiris**
May 20th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Point is (to me, anyway) he would've played an important part in the show regardless of whether or not he was the "lead" character.

I agree...i miss Jonas. :( I really hope they bring him back in either of the shows.

Elwe Singollo
May 20th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Yes... Missed :(

USS Thunderchild
May 21st, 2004, 12:12 PM
I think it would have been nice, but I think this way, they're really not relying on anyone crossing over, which is pretty brave. I'm just upset about Steen being replaced. I thought she was great in Earth 2, and I'm not a fan of switching actors and actresses' around in general.

Phil

StargateSara
May 21st, 2004, 12:47 PM
Awwww, man, I liked Jonas, but he replaced Daniel, so I just couldn't get there, no love from me. But when I heard he would be on Atlantis, I thought, "I could learn to love him if he doesn't replace Daniel, that's it, a new show with Jonas at the helm, I could get behind that." But now, alas, disappointment sets in. Maybe he'll be a reoccurring character, instead of a regular one. Bummer.

ShadowMaat
May 21st, 2004, 02:24 PM
I think it would have been nice, but I think this way, they're really not relying on anyone crossing over, which is pretty brave.
Umm... McKay is crossing over. Might not be one of the main characters, but he's certainly a Known Quantity (if you've seen his eps).

Would love to see Jonas on Atlantis, but I think I stand a better chance of winning an Emmy this year. :P

USS Thunderchild
May 21st, 2004, 02:50 PM
^Right but McKay isn't associated with Stargate by most (whereas Jonas was on posters and whatnot for season 6)--I know he was in the season 6 premiere, but other than that, wasn't he only in one or two more episodes?

Phil

ShadowMaat
May 21st, 2004, 03:02 PM
Who, exactly, would they get to cross over? You can't have it be a member of SG-1 because Stargate SG-1 is going to be back for another season. They're all going to be needed for their OWN show. There'll be crossover appearances, but they can't do a full-time move. And frankly, I don't think they should. Let Atlantis develop on its own. Let it be Atlantis and not "Sam's Show" or "Daniel's Show" or "Teal'c's Show" or something like that. It would HAVE to be a non major player and the list of candidates who would be "useful" on Atlantis is pretty small, especially since most of the bigger ones will still be needed for SG-1. That leaves McKay. And yay for that. :D

Nolamom
May 21st, 2004, 03:23 PM
How about Walter "Chevron Guy" Davis ? He'd make a great cross-over person. Just think about it - running from the Wraiths, about to have one's life-force consumed and there's Walter telling you *exactly* how many chevrons are engaged.

Annual Salary for a GS-10 - $100,897
Budget for the SGC for one year - in excess of $7 billion
Having Walter say those magic words - priceless

Nmom

Elwe Singollo
May 21st, 2004, 03:27 PM
:) Loved your comment :)

Teal'c
May 21st, 2004, 04:29 PM
Luke crosses over to Atlantis, but a tragic twist cuts him off from his supply of citrus fruit, trapping him in another galaxy with Lemon Chicken, far from his beloved Samantha! :P

ShadowMaat
May 21st, 2004, 04:40 PM
Luke crosses over to Atlantis, but a tragic twist cuts him off from his supply of citrus fruit, trapping him in another galaxy with Lemon Chicken, far from his beloved Samantha! :P
Awww, poor Luke! ;) I'm sure he'd come up with a creative alternative to do in Lemon Chicken, who would naturally screw up Luke's perfect plan and LIVE... but in an odd twist, the plan will end up leading to the A-team's first major defeat of the Wraith!

Nolamom
May 26th, 2004, 05:21 PM
It surely has to do with the substitute citrus available...causes an intolerable allergy not only in McKay, but in anyone who tries to EAT McKay...
Nola