PDA

View Full Version : The writing of Pain and Life

Nikec3
May 15th, 2010, 02:38 AM
He wrote Life and Pain wich are bolth bad recieved from public. Also Life lost 500k viewers and if Pain lose, let's say 200k viewers is SGU very close to death.

DigiFluid
May 15th, 2010, 02:39 AM
He wrote Life and Pain wich are bolth bad recieved from public. Also Life lost 500k viewers and if Pain lose, let's say 200k viewers is SGU very close to death.
I enjoyed Life, and I loved Pain.

And considering SGU has already been renewed for a 20-episode season 2, the "close to death" comment is pretty laughable.

Nikec3
May 15th, 2010, 02:44 AM
And considering SGU has already been renewed for a 20-episode season 2, the "close to death" comment is pretty laughable.

Yes, but if season finale gets only 1.5 million viewers I'll say SGu is pretty close to be canceled in season 2.

latvian_stargatefan
May 15th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I didn't really like "Life" but "Pain", imho, was one of best stories done with this kind of plot... hallucinations and stuff. I've seen worse on Stargate and Trek...

Nikec3
May 15th, 2010, 02:54 AM
I liked Pain to, but I'm just saying that bolth episodes are bad recieved from general public and I'm concerned how will this effect on ratings.

latvian_stargatefan
May 15th, 2010, 03:03 AM
I liked Pain to, but I'm just saying that bolth episodes are bad recieved from general public and I'm concerned how will this effect on ratings.
I don't think "'Pain'' is badly received from the public, more like the episode is misunderstood- people don't like it because:
1) it reveals the fact that there will be no smurf invasion of Destiny in reality
2) they though the ep. will be about what causes the hallucinations (Atlantis style), not about halucinations themselves
3) they think "Pain" was worse than "Sabotage" and I don't think people who say that are majority (no offense to those people, but if they were majority, SGU ratings would be much much better...)

Pharaoh Atem
May 15th, 2010, 03:17 AM
IMo he's either given the crappy eps to write or he just can't write the sgu style

JustAnotherVoice
May 15th, 2010, 04:30 AM
I always thought that Mr Binder was one of the weaker staff writers on the franchise.

major davis
May 15th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Are you guys kidding. Pain and Water were two of the best eps yet. Guess it's just personal opinion lol.

Also writers often write others stories. So it could be that brad or rob pitches a bad story and then the writer gets all the blame. That's not fair cause the whole staff will break the story as a whole.

Deevil
May 15th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Yes, but if season finale gets only 1.5 million viewers I'll say SGu is pretty close to be canceled in season 2.

Not necessarily. That is making a HUGE assumption with little or no proof to back it up. After all, Sanctuary and Caprica both dipped FAR below that and were renewed with those ratings.

Also, it's generally slightly deceptive to assume that lower ratings = poorly received. Ratings tend to be a little more complicated then that. Perhaps you should check out the ratings thread to see the scope.

DigiFluid
May 15th, 2010, 07:21 AM
After all, Sanctuary and Caprica both dipped FAR below that and were renewed with those ratings.
Caprica hasn't been renewed yet.

Briangate78
May 15th, 2010, 07:33 AM

I'll give you Life. However, Pain was very good, imo. Not the top 5 eps of the season, but still in the better half, imo.

Alx
May 15th, 2010, 07:34 AM
You hate it that much. You realize, if SGU dies this young, the franchise will probably die(at least go dark) for a while. SGU is the key to Stargates survival. Really. If SGU is successful, we might even get a 4th series, and maybe some stargate movies. If SGU dies, well, bye bye stargate. This news should not make you warm and fuzzy.
well i say let it as i dont like what they are doing to the franchiese so yes id rather see it dead then see more sgu.

Caprica hasn't been renewed yet.
i read that caprica had been canceld....

Briangate78
May 15th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Nope. No news as to its future has been announced as of yet.

It's not looking good for Caprica.

DigiFluid
May 15th, 2010, 07:40 AM
It's not looking good for Caprica.
I wasn't commenting one way or another. One of them said it had been renewed, the other said it had been cancelled. At the moment, both are wrong ;)

KEK
May 15th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Pain was the worst episode of the season IMO, while I enjoyed Life. I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say that Carl can't write good episodes any more, but if that were the case, I'd like to think he'd be let go, rather than keep him around because he's one of the guys.

On a side note, I doubt Caprica will be cancelled, they have nothing to replace it with.

Major_Griff
May 15th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Life wasn't as bad as people make it out to be, and Pain was great. Tv ratings are down across the board, so it's not like SGU really getting that bad of ratings. Besides without Stargate, there probably wouldn't be a SciFi channel right now (not going to call it its new name) so I think as long as it doesn't start getting sub 1.0 ratings, SGU is pretty safe.

Vanek26
May 15th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I liked the episode overall.

I think it would have been cool IF a couple smurfs did come through the gates.

Then everyone would have been like, Rush you were hallucinating.

Then they could mess with stuff, track them, or attack.

JustAnotherVoice
May 15th, 2010, 08:22 AM
After actually seeing the episode, I've come to the conclusion that the episode isn't half bad. I can see what Binder was trying to do, with the cabin fever-turned-infestation, but there were just too many loose threads in this tapestry for it all to make a clear picture.

Pain was better than Life, imo, but too jumbled/half developed for it to be worth more than 2/5

ProclarushTaonasAt
May 15th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Nah, I liked Pain. Seeing Rush terrified was gold.

jelgate
May 15th, 2010, 11:49 AM

The notion that ratings are somehow linked to the fandom's general response to an episode is a common misconception. Do I really need to go over how small we are compared to the overall audience?

DCK
May 15th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Mr. Binder did not write the most innovative and groundbreaking script with "Pain", it was a story told many times before in different settings. The actors did a superb job with it though.

Replicator Todd
May 15th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I don't know, I loved Carl's stories on SGA. But his SGU stuff just seem off IMO.

Briangate78
May 15th, 2010, 09:24 PM
The notion that ratings are somehow linked to the fandom's general response to an episode is a common misconception. Do I really need to go over how small we are compared to the overall audience?

Sadly Jel, this time the negativity on the forums is matching the ratings, unlike SGA, but that negativity was nothing compared to what SGU has been getting. Fandom has become very vile towards eachother with SGU, and I disagree with people if they disagree, but this has been the worst fued and negativity this franchise has ever seen and I know Darren agrees with me. I almost put my fist through my monitor today. Those that know me, know what I do, and I am just sick and tired of the bickering.

jelgate
May 15th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Sadly Jel, this time the negativity on the forums is matching the ratings, unlike SGA, but that negativity was nothing compared to what SGU has been getting. Fandom has become very vile towards eachother with SGU, and I disagree with people if they disagree, but this has been the worst fued and negativity this franchise has ever seen and I know Darren agrees with me. I almost put my fist through my monitor today. Those that know me, know what I do, and I am just sick and tired of the bickering.
The negativity for the 1st half was quite higher then the 2nd half and yet the ratings were better in the first time so I don't really believe that. As for the vileness in fandom and SGU well the writing is on the wall.

Briangate78
May 15th, 2010, 09:31 PM
The negativity for the 1st half was quite higher then the 2nd half and yet the ratings were better in the first time so I don't really believe that. As for the vileness in fandom and SGU well the writing is on the wall.

Well I'll have to disagree but it's all good. I want to see this series regain those viewers and fans. I think the 2nd half has been better than the first half, but maybe the damage has been done. Getting back on topic, Carl did redeem himself with "Pain". I thought it was a good episode that would make my top better half.

Alexandria7
May 15th, 2010, 09:54 PM

No, I know, first it was Monk, next it was Christmas, now we can just blame the Easter bunny. :P

icsteffi
May 16th, 2010, 03:54 PM
If they cancel Caprica, I will be devastated.

pipi
May 16th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Both episodes were a little boring to me, I need a bit more action and a bit more aliens.

Replicator Todd
May 16th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Both episodes were a little boring to me, I need a bit more action and a bit more aliens.

Indeed! :)

escyos
May 16th, 2010, 04:45 PM

syfy has agreed to pay for season 2, they have a contract. season 2 is going to come, the ratings are good enough not to get cancelled, even if no one watches the season finale.

jelgate
May 16th, 2010, 04:47 PM
syfy has agreed to pay for season 2, they have a contract. season 2 is going to come, the ratings are good enough not to get cancelled, even if no one watches the season finale.

Thats incorrect. The normal financial arrangement between MGM and SyFy in producing SGU is in effect

The Swarm
May 17th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I actualy liked "Pain", life not so much....
People realy need to stop being so uptight.
Also the season finale is action packed anyway, so i dont see the harm in one more character driven episode.

Phenom
May 17th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Question for those in the know....

Re this thread, it is mentioned how the same writer is responsible for Life and Pain, which has been suggested may not be SGU's stronger eps. I am wondering how responsble the writer is for this? Does he/she get direction about the plot and is told to fill in the blanks, or is it simply go nuts for 42 minutes and give us something in line with the overall series arc?

Would be interesting to know because if they had a fair bit of freedom, surely you wouldn't go for a space tic story would you?

Stranded
May 17th, 2010, 05:34 AM
First off I'll say that I thought Pain was a great episode. No major complaints from me.

Life was sooo long ago I don't really remember it too well. I'll have to re-watch that one. My guess is that Pain > Life, based on what I do remember.

Re this thread, it is mentioned how the same writer is responsible for Life and Pain, which has been suggested may not be SGU's stronger eps. I am wondering how responsble the writer is for this? Does he/she get direction about the plot and is told to fill in the blanks, or is it simply go nuts for 42 minutes and give us something in line with the overall series arc?

Would be interesting to know because if they had a fair bit of freedom, surely you wouldn't go for a space tic story would you?

The way I understand it is that each episode number is given a certain writer or writers (i.e. main writers get the season finale, season premiere, etc) ... and basically the writer creates a story and pitches it to everyone else. Ideas are exchanged, and the storyline evolves.

I think there's a plan right at the beginning, where they sit down at the beginning of the season and decide where they want to be at the end of the season. Then they basically give out a bit of freedom from that point onwards, as long as it lines up with the final goal.

Keep in mind that writer != director != producer (except for the rare episodes where two of those roles are shared by the same person).

jelgate
May 17th, 2010, 08:31 AM

At the start of the season the writers spin ideas for their 20 stories with basic outlines for each story with a writer assigned to write the stories. Carl Binder has said in the past he likes writing the character pieces over the heavy action episodes

beafly
May 17th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Sounds as if the episode reviews mirror my own personal feelings. Pain was... painful.

I almost turned it off at the point where chloe is having a lucid conversation with her dead father, knowing that it's some sort of alien tick induced hallucination.

The one positive I walked away with, was that the episode was self contained. Neat tidy bow at the end made me happy we shouldn't be dealing with the same crap next week.

Arctic Goddess
May 17th, 2010, 10:07 PM
What do you mean, what's with Carl Binder. He's a good writer with lots of industry experience behind him. I like his style of writing. In fact, I find that he's often under rated. Maybe it's because he's such a quiet unassuming gentleman. Some of the very best writers in the business are the quiet ones. Stephen King comes to mind as someone I would include in this group. My advice is not to throw stones unless you guys have written a television script that has to hit the mark every time you write it.

MattSilver 3k
May 17th, 2010, 10:27 PM
^What she/he said. Binder's Water, Life and Pain weren't the superfantastic of all episodes, but I still liked 'em for what they were, and they had a distinct SGU style, at least. I'd rather have him around (And all of his experience) than not have him around.

Trig
May 18th, 2010, 02:31 AM
I thought Pain was ok, gives us a bit more of an insight on the characters..
cant remember the other ones though so no comment on them..

thekillman
May 18th, 2010, 02:46 AM
there is one false assumption here: Binder doesn't write it alone. it's been past the other writers as well. so he's not 100% responsible. also, SyFy/MGM have a say as well.

Wayston
May 18th, 2010, 06:47 AM
life wasn't badly written or anything, but it just wasn't stargate or even sci fi really (let's not get in that debate though)... I can imagine people tuning out after having watched it

Pain wasn't the greatest episode but it certainly didn't get the same feeling of boredom that life provided, I'd rank it as a typical one off episode, almost filler material but still interesting. Coincidentally the premisse of the story sort of resembled the dr who episode of the same week.

now should they actually do a boarding of the destiny episode with people firing through the corridors and stuff that would be awesome

The Swarm
May 18th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Wait for the season finale then.

Herb
May 18th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Two of my fav eps so far.

Blistna
May 19th, 2010, 08:36 AM

Amen, i am too!

Eternal Density
May 20th, 2010, 06:50 PM
He wrote Life and Pain wich are bolth bad recieved from public. Also Life lost 500k viewers and if Pain lose, let's say 200k viewers is SGU very close to death.Is public a member on these forums? I don't think I've read her/his opinion yet.