Queston about ST:TNG and Deanna Troi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Queston about ST:TNG and Deanna Troi

I was reading a ST:TNG novel during Christmas break and in one scene, Commander Deanna Troi (this was after her promtion and before Insurrection), she was referred to as Dr. Deanna Troi, PhD in interspecies psychology.

Does anyone know if a ship's counselor, who is a de facto part of the medical staff, is supposed to have a doctoral degree in psychology? Did anyone recall Troi having a doctorate and her being referred to as Doctor Troi, or was she always Commander or Counselor?

Anyone know or have thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jared

PhD refers to the highest level of education you can receive. MD (Medical Doctor) means that you are a phsycologist and you can perscribe medication for patcients. I don't see why she wouldn't be able to hold the title of Dr.

As for her being refered to as Councilor or Commander, it depends on the setting. In NEMESIS when Data left to head over to the Schimitar, he refered to her as Commander. This means as of that moment, she was the head of the ship, and needed to take on the resposibilities as a star fleet officer.

In TNG series, she was always refered to as Councilor, because that is what she was originally assigned as. She only was in command of the ship during the 'night-watch', which she traded off with Dr. Crusher, when she was training for star fleet's basic tests. She was always a ship councilor BEFORe she was ever put in a star fleet uniform.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Well Troi did have to pass a rigorous 3 day training process that was judged by her ex boyfriend. Who could possibly doubt her ability to Command after that?

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
        PhD refers to the highest level of education you can receive. MD (Medical Doctor) means that you are a phsycologist and you can perscribe medication for patcients. I don't see why she wouldn't be able to hold the title of Dr.

As for her being refered to as Councilor or Commander, it depends on the setting. In NEMESIS when Data left to head over to the Schimitar, he refered to her as Commander. This means as of that moment, she was the head of the ship, and needed to take on the resposibilities as a star fleet officer.

In TNG series, she was always refered to as Councilor, because that is what she was originally assigned as. She only was in command of the ship during the 'night-watch', which she traded off with Dr. Crusher, when she was training for star fleet's basic tests. She was always a ship councilor BEFORe she was ever put in a star fleet uniform.
        There are different types of graduate degrees at the doctoral level. There are professional doctorates and there are academic doctorates. An academic doctorate (PhD = Doctor of Philosophy in any field; ThD = Doctor of Theology; EdD = Doctor of Education; ScD = Doctor of Science; DA = Doctor of Arts) requires classwork and original research culminating in a dissertation, which is orally defended). Today, most psychologists have PhD doctorates, some have PsyD (Doctor of Psychology), which is special type of academic doctorate.

Professional doctorates require coursework and specialized testing after graduation; they do not require research. MD = Doctor of Medicine; JD = Doctor of Jurisprudence/Law; DDS = Doctor Dental Surgery; DVM = Doctor of Vet Med; PharmD = Doctor of Pharmacy; OD = Optometry; DC = Chiropractic.

Technically, a PhD is "higher" than a professional degree like an MD. A clinical psychologist in the United States had a PhD or a PsyD, which is 4-7 years post bachelor's education, a dissertation, plus a 2-4 year internship at an APA approved psych facility/hospital/school/clinic. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor (MD or DO) with a residency in psychiatry. In some US states, psychologists can prescribe medications, whereas ALL psychiatrists can Rx meds.

Troi I believe was a psychologist, not a medical doctor, but who knows if she can Rx meds in the future; it's possible psychologists became the psychiatrists of the future. Today, psychiatry is a dying profession; most Rx meds only and do not do therapy, and most med students avoid psychiatry because it's considered one of the lowest of the medical specialties.

My question, however, was: Was Troi a PhD and was she ever referred to as Doctor? Does anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
          My question, however, was: Was Troi a PhD and was she ever referred to as Doctor? Does anyone know?
          To my knowledge Troi does not have a PhD, and she was never refered to as Doctor. But she did treat Reginald Barclay on a psycological level.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
            To my knowledge Troi does not have a PhD, and she was never refered to as Doctor. But she did treat Reginald Barclay on a psycological level.
            For what? Depression?

Comment

For what? Depression?
              He was an introvert living his life on the holodeck! Which no one really cared about until they saw the programs he was running.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

For what? Depression?
                His addiction to the holo-suites was interupting his work on getting Voyager home. He was then evaluated as an addict to living his life vicariously through a simulated Voyager. It is also where he created some of his best work.

Also, he did suffer from depression. This was apparent when he was re-assigned off the Enterprise D. I don't think he ever complained from it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                  He was an introvert living his life on the holodeck! Which no one really cared about until they saw the programs he was running.
                  I should clarify that this was when the character Barclay, i.e. Broccoli, was introduced to us in ST:TNG

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Working...
                  X