This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SciFi is hacking up SGA marathon

Scifi is doing a real hack job (as in editing) on "Rising". It's only half past 8 and already I've seen a few scenes hacked, dialogue missing. I'm not sure what they're doing except giving us the reader's digest condensed version.

I mean, Simon doesn't even exist anymore. Poof! Gone! And Ford's wonderful taunt to Sheppard of how going through the gate hurts like hell - gone.

Sure glad I videotaped it the first time around.

Originally posted by prion
    Scifi is doing a real hack job (as in editing) on "Rising". It's only half past 8 and already I've seen a few scenes hacked, dialogue missing. I'm not sure what they're doing except giving us the reader's digest condensed version.

I mean, Simon doesn't even exist anymore. Poof! Gone! And Ford's wonderful taunt to Sheppard of how going through the gate hurts like hell - gone.

We're probably seeing the version that will be used in syndication. Rising was originally broadcast as a single, movie-length ep which gives you more time for stuff like that... airing it as a 2 parter means theme songs, and maybe a recap as well that have to have time made for them. We'll probably see it in it's full format again when it's on DVD.

You're right though, I prefer the longer version.

-IMF
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
      We're probably seeing the version that will be used in syndication. Rising was originally broadcast as a single, movie-length ep which gives you more time for stuff like that... airing it as a 2 parter means theme songs, and maybe a recap as well that have to have time made for them. We'll probably see it in it's full format again when it's on DVD.
      It's not in syndication yet. They should have left it alone. I'm glad I taped it when it first came out, too, or I'd be seriously po'd.

Proud Member-Hussies Union, Local # 69

Comment

Originally posted by prion

Me, too. I'm pretty sure that the first version will be on the DVDs and NO scenes are cut out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by bravesmom63
          It's not in syndication yet. They should have left it alone. I'm glad I taped it when it first came out, too, or I'd be seriously po'd.
          It's not yet, but it certainly would have been made with eventual syndication in mind. SG-1's first season has some pretty agegious hack jobs as well.

-IMF
          "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
          "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
          BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Lucky for you guys who's families didn't record over your tape for the episode! I was upset but not that angry because I assumed it would play again and I would be able to record it again. So for me this is horrible--they cut out like all my favorite scenes/quotes from the first part. Now I'm really upset with my father for recording over it! Oh, well... you guys are probably right about the DVD, I just have to wait a lot longer to see the episode in its entirety again.

And that's my two cents...
            My LiveJournal
            ^_^ ~ DANIquinn ~ ^_^

Comment

There's a very good chance that Sci-Fi may have had the first-run rights to the feature length version for a limited number of airings. After that, they have to stick to the syndicated package for airing individual episodes as repeats.

-IMF
              BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

When they show Rising in the repeats in midseason, I don't think they cut any out of that. But, I may be wrong.

Comment

What's even worse is they've cut all the good character moments too; Sheppard's reluctance to go along at first was important to the story, but they snipped it for the sake of showing extra commercials. Almost makes me wonder if there was anything important cut from the original? Yeah, it's slowly getting to the point where DVDs are the only way to go to see something in its intended entirety.

-Bloodaxe
                  Last edited by Erik Bloodaxe; 07 January 2005, 09:37 PM.

Comment

They've already played it like 5 times at the full length. Give em a break

Comment

More like 4 times, but who's counting?

-Bloodaxe

Comment

I must have missed something about opening show of SGA.

SGC is to travel to Atlantis, based on Jackson discover of 9th chevron indicating extreme distance. So SGC travels to Atlantis to City. All is fine till they go to planet and encounter the Wraith.

For one, they travel to new world, and Col tells men to secure gate. Tells men to contact Atlantis about current events. We know that the standard seven chevrons link ‘local’ stargates, how, who and when did they know which of the seven of eight to use. There would be on left over.

Second is more Wraiths related. The Wraith knew the location of Atlantis planet, since they attacked the city. They could have used the stargate but there is a force shield protecting it like the iris at SGC. Why didn’t the Wraith wait the sleep cycle and enter the city via the stargate. The force-shield was not active; otherwise SGC couldn’t have gotten there.

Is this nitpicking or just editing issues?
                        The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Comment

Originally posted by BackStageJim

SGC is to travel to Atlantis, based on Jackson discover of 9th chevron indicating extreme distance. So SGC travels to Atlantis to City. All is fine till they go to planet and encounter the Wraith.

For one, they travel to new world, and Col tells men to secure gate. Tells men to contact Atlantis about current events. We know that the standard seven chevrons link ‘local’ stargates, how, who and when did they know which of the seven of eight to use. There would be on left over.

Second is more Wraiths related. The Wraith knew the location of Atlantis planet, since they attacked the city. They could have used the stargate but there is a force shield protecting it like the iris at SGC. Why didn’t the Wraith wait the sleep cycle and enter the city via the stargate. The force-shield was not active; otherwise SGC couldn’t have gotten there.

Spoiler:
                          That's answered in "Before I Sleep." Jonus programmed the Atlantis gate to only accept an incoming wormhole from Earth, and no others.

-IMF
                          BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Not so sure the spoiler gives an answer within the timeline. Since the address was not know till Danny-boy noted in SCA 1.1

But then I still think we can at some point travel faster then light. However, I do worry about braking
                            The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Comment

Originally posted by BackStageJim

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking here, but one, Jackson discoverred the seventh chevron, which was not the Earth Point of Origin indicating it was an 8 symbol address, which means another galaxy.

Two, when they arrived at Atlantis, they found that the Atlantis "dialing computer/console" contained a database of known Pegasus Galaxy addresses which included the Atlantis planet PoO. Also, all of the symbols in the Pegasus Galaxy are different from the Milky Way galaxy, so the only way they could become familiar with the symbols was through the Atlantis computer database of Pegasus Galaxy addresses.

I believe was IMForeman was trying to say with in his post was:
                              Spoiler:

Before the Ancients left Atlantis for Earth, they programed the Atlatnis gate computer so that it would only accept an incoming wormhole from Earth, and not from any other gate in the stargate network. Once Danniel figured out the Atlantis stargate address and the Atlantis team used it, the Atlantis computer recognized the incoming wormhole as incoming from Earth and allowed the wormhole to be established. For the 10,000 years or so between the time the Ancients left Atlatnis abandoned and the Atlantis team left from Earth SGC to Atlantis, the Wraith could not dial the Atlantis stargate because the Ancients had locked it out from every gate in the network, except Earth's stargate. Therfore, I guess, the Wraith assumed Atlantis was destroyed since they could not establish a wormhole to the stargate.

Comment

Working...
                              X