PDA

View Full Version : So how many on this board hate the movie Avatar and why?

RJLCyberPunk
May 13th, 2010, 03:24 PM
It has come to my attention that a lot of people on this board absolutely loathe the latest JC film, I would like to know why..

DigiFluid
May 13th, 2010, 03:29 PM
http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/67920-Avatar-Film-Series-News-Discussion-Speculation

The Dude of Lebowski
May 13th, 2010, 04:50 PM
its an over rated, extremely too long, cliched, dances with wolves rip off :)

SaberBlade
May 13th, 2010, 05:22 PM
its an over rated, extremely too long, cliched, dances with wolves rip off :)

At least I'm not the only one to see it as a Dances with Wolves ripoff.

DigiFluid
May 13th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Pocahontas in Blue ;)

Replicator Todd
May 13th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Pocahontas in Blue ;)

Exactly.

SGTB1991
May 13th, 2010, 05:36 PM
It got so much hype that people went into it expecting to be absolutely blown away and so incredibly awed by the fantastic graphics that they'd never be satisfied by any other special effects again. It was supposed to be the best movie EVER.

Well, it wasn't. Not by a long shot.

SaberBlade
May 13th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Pocahontas in Blue ;)

I think that's the best description for Avatar I've ever read.

SGTB1991
May 13th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I think that's the best description for Avatar I've ever read.

I liked "Dances with Smurfs" too ;)

gotthammer
May 13th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I dislike it, but I don't 'hate' it.

Why? Coz the Mercs/Marines SHOULD HAVE WON!!! :valaanime06:
(more poignant ending, too, I would think :D )

Didn't care much for the plot or character development, either (some bits were just a tad too unbelievable at times).
The visuals were nice/pretty, but I can't really agree w/ some of the designs (esp. of the mecha: come on: that glass canopy on the mech was just wrong... :D ).

SGTB1991
May 13th, 2010, 05:47 PM
The visuals were nice/pretty, but I can't really agree w/ some of the designs (esp. of the mecha: come on: that glass canopy on the mech was just wrong... :D ).

Agreed. The special effects were nice, but I can't say I was flabbergasted or anything. I feel more for the animated characters in movies like Up and How to Train Your Dragon. (Which is probably due to character development as well.)

I was also mad that they killed Trudy off. She was the only one I actually sort of liked. :(

SaberBlade
May 13th, 2010, 06:08 PM
The visual effects are the only reason to really watch the movie. Everything from the plot was completely predictable. If the movie had been dubbed in Chinese and had no subtitles, the complete lack of understanding the movie still would have made it predictable.

SGTB1991
May 13th, 2010, 06:15 PM
You're definitely right about the plot... I knew what was going to happen pretty early on. Of course, my RL friend (who saw it three times and is still a little obsessed) is mad because I keep poking holes in the plot, because it's more about the experience than the story. Which I think is stupid, because isn't the whole point of a movie to enjoy the story?

Anyway. It's the same for me the graphics were the only reason I eventually went to see it. Even that was pretty unimpressive to me, though. I came out saying, "Hmm. Well, I guess that did look pretty real." But that was about it.

Pharaoh Atem
May 13th, 2010, 06:17 PM
all CG and no story

magictrick
May 13th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I'm probably one of the few on the planet in this, but I have yet to watch this movie :P

escyos
May 15th, 2010, 02:14 PM
i havent seen it but to be honest its been hyped up so much chances are it wont impress me and i will not watch it again

lordofseas
May 15th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Nice graphics. Occasional WTF moments. Cheesy, predictable, and really stupid plotline.

huntress
May 15th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I don't hate it. I just don't like it and I wasn't at all impressed. The story was a cross between "Dances with Wolves" and "Pocahontas" - only that both films were better than this. The acting was for the most part non-existent and if Orlando Bloom was often called the actor with the three facial expressions I can safely say that Sam Worthington only has one. The graphics were kinda nice but I can't say that I was wowed. I simply don't get the hype. I rather watch a a small budget film that has solid acting and a good story than this.

SaberBlade
May 15th, 2010, 05:06 PM
The acting was for the most part non-existent and if Orlando Bloom was often called the actor with the three facial expressions I can safely say that Sam Worthington only has one.

With Sam Worthington, I'm pretty sure his CG Avatar has more facial expressions than the real him in the movie.

DigiFluid
May 15th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Thing is, I don't really think that's Sam Worthington's fault. He may not be an Anthony Hopkins or a Patrick Stewart, but he's better than he was in Avatar. I blame the flat script, personally.

escyos
May 16th, 2010, 12:02 AM
With Sam Worthington, I'm pretty sure his CG Avatar has more facial expressions than the real him in the movie.

i dont believe he gets work for his acting ability...more of his ability to get half the viewers to watch the movie regardless of what it is....i mean women....and gay men

SBN
May 16th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Add my name to those that saw this as over-hyped. For me this was a generic and bland story wrapped up in eye-popping (eye candy?) special effects. Take away the FX and ask yourself, was this story interesting at all? This was a movie I could watch once and maintain a level of interest solely because of the visuals, but would not care to see it again.

I am reminded of how some said The Matrix was the greatest movie ever, yet that series is almost seemingly forgotten now. I remember saying to those that said 300 was the greatest movie ever that they would move past this film and forget it in 3 years. Well......Avatar was partly a product of the Hollywood hype machine. If you have good connections, a talented publicist and marketing agency, you can pretty much hype anything these days as the latest greatest. And people will buy into it. I reminded of seeing Julia Roberts on the cover of People just recently named once again "Most Beautiful person". Really? Or more like she has great connections and a damn good publicist. I was arguing the other day that if she was to walk into a bar with any number of actresses not named the odds are in favor she would be ignored. Is this beauty they were judging, or more like popularity? James Cameron's films have always been 90% FX/10% story. Dialog in his films are at best tolerable. He makes films only appreciable because of the visual aspect. Put his story on the stage and audiences would riot. As a story teller he is a failure in my book, but as someone who can command large budgets from studios he has succeeded. Let's see what he can do with $10 million? Hell even $40 million budget I doubt he could succeed with. Yet each year I see countless films done by artists who have a puny fraction of the budget, each of whom has been able to produce a story worth seeing even without the high production.

I think if Avatar had been released 10 years ago, it would have had a much smaller favorability rating. And it certainly would not have garnered an Oscar nomination. Then again this same year saw as the winner an even more mediocre film elevated to higher standing (Hurt Locker). I not only think this was a bad year for "Oscar" films, this was also a result of the direction Hollywood has been going for some time now. The financial risks involved in making these large production movies almost guaranteed that the films would be as generic and open to as wide an audience as possible. Problem is that this then sets the standard of how films need to be made. My choice for film of the year from the Oscar list was Inglorious Basterds, and a lot of that had to do with the fact the film defied so many tired conventions. Admittedly this was a film I had to view twice to better understand and appreciate what it was trying to accomplish.

One disclaimer though. I am a film lover, this is my passion. I see literally hundreds of movies each year from across the globe. As a result certain themes that I see as tiring, misused, pretentious, etc.. may not be as bothersome or apparent to casual and younger audiences.

Replicator Todd
May 16th, 2010, 01:01 PM
OH no! The HORROR! My mother got Avatar on Blu-Ray and wants the whole family to watch it. It was inevitable I suppose......*sigh* Help me........

DigiFluid
May 16th, 2010, 01:05 PM
OH no! The HORROR! My mother got Avatar on Blu-Ray and wants the whole family to watch it. It was enviable I suppose......*sigh* Help me........
I assume you meant inevitable :p

So just skip out. I never watch anything with my family lol

SaberBlade
May 16th, 2010, 01:29 PM
OH no! The HORROR! My mother got Avatar on Blu-Ray and wants the whole family to watch it. It was enviable I suppose......*sigh* Help me........

Watch it with them, and see their reaction to it. Should be interesting to see if they buy into the hype or can look past the graphics to see a crap story.

Petra
May 16th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Nice graphics. Occasional WTF moments. Cheesy, predictable, and really stupid plotline.

This.

I don't hate it. I just don't like it and I wasn't at all impressed. The story was a cross between "Dances with Wolves" and "Pocahontas" - only that both films were better than this. The acting was for the most part non-existent and if Orlando Bloom was often called the actor with the three facial expressions I can safely say that Sam Worthington only has one. The graphics were kinda nice but I can't say that I was wowed. I simply don't get the hype. I rather watch a a small budget film that has solid acting and a good story than this.

This too.

Add my name to those that saw this as over-hyped. For me this was a generic and bland story wrapped up in eye-popping (eye candy?) special effects. Take away the FX and ask yourself, was this story interesting at all? This was a movie I could watch once and maintain a level of interest solely because of the visuals, but would not care to see it again.

And this.

I liked the visuals. And that's it. The story was so predictable that I guessed the whole plot, including all so called "twists" and characters' deaths, after a few minutes. I'm not kiding. It's hard to be impressed by a movie which is simply boring. I would have put this movie in the "pretty pictures to look at; complete brain shut-down needed" category and forgotten all about it if not for 2 things.

1. Characters. Frankly I found them so one-dimensional and stereotypical that it borders on being insulting to the viewer. I have even bigger issues with the characters than I have with the plot.

2. Awards & hype. I hate being told what to watch. I'm capable of deciding what's good and worth of my time on my own, thank you very much. Moreover, I'm known for digging my heels in when somebody tells me that I should like sth because it's a "best thing evah!!" So you can imagine I wasn't impressed with all the hype Avatar got. When it was awarded with a Golden Globe for a Best Drama I couldn't believe it. Drama? Where the h** is drama in this movie? Jeez.

Killdeer
May 16th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I get that. I probably will never watch Avatar, partially just because it's not the kind of movie I'm all that interested in to begin with, but also because of all the hype about it being the greatest thing ever ever. :S Like Titanic. To this day I have never seen Titanic, and never plan to.

I think also I resent the promotion of special effects over good actors and plot. It's like the actors don't even matter anymore if you have these awesome special effects. :(

SaberBlade
May 16th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Like Titanic. To this day I have never seen Titanic, and never plan to.

I am the same with Titanic, still never seen it. However Avatar it's still a scifi movie with very pretty visuals and that's the only reason I watched it. I still expected more from all the hype, yet it seems all anyone ever really commented on was it's CG.

DigiFluid
May 16th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Titanic isn't that bad, honestly. As far as chick flicks go, I've seen a lot worse.

Killdeer
May 16th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I guess I just really don't care that much about special effects. Maybe I'm the only one, but to me the characters and the story are more important. And that's all I keep hearing about this movie - WOW the special effects were so awesome. Well I'm not going to go to a movie to see special effects. I honestly couldn't care less about that if the story isn't good.

gotthammer
May 16th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Titanic isn't that bad, honestly. As far as chick flicks go, I've seen a lot worse.

Yeah. And it had a great theme song. :D
(it was kinda boring, tho'...I only got real interested when the iceberg introduced itself to the ship's cold-weakened hull :D )

jds1982
May 16th, 2010, 05:04 PM
(it was kinda boring, tho'...I only got real interested when the iceberg introduced itself to the ship's cold-weakened hull :D )

I fast forwarded to the end just to see Leonardo Dicaprio freeze to death.

DigiFluid
May 16th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Please, keep her. Nobody here can stand her.

SaberBlade
May 16th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I'm from Belfast, the only thing we need to know about the Titanic that it was built by the Irish, sunk by the English. Titanic just has no appeal to me when I can walk to the top of my street and see the docks where it was built.

The thing that makes the movie unappealing, was turning it into a love story. Other than the boat sinking, it has as much historical fact as U-571.

kennythewraith
May 16th, 2010, 05:59 PM
i dont hate it or think it was that bad of a movie but it definatly was way over hyped and didnt deserve a best picture nomination especially when the dark knight,the best mvie to come out in 2008,didnt even get nominated that year and it did live up to its hype.
and i think sam worthington is a good actor...he just doesnt choose or get greatly written characters.

Xarn
May 16th, 2010, 06:11 PM
... 90% FX/10% story. ...
I haven't noticed the story part...

I can't say that I really hate the film, but certain things about it irritate me to no end. Like the hype everywhere, or like the mind boggling stupidity of plot/dialogues/story/just about everything in the movie. :-D Also the starting mania to have everything in 3D... I don't want everything in 3D, I just want good/somewhat inteligent story.

I mean really, you have insane amount of money to make the movie. Why not cut FX budget by just 1% and hire a good writer? I am pretty sure you could get at least a decent one for the money.

jds1982
May 17th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Why not cut FX budget by just 1% and hire a good writer? I am pretty sure you could get at least a decent one for the money.

Because that would have cut into James Cameron's vision:rolleyes:. I will admit I haven't seen the movie, but I know parts of the plot. I find it ridiculous that the humans didn't win, is there a reason they couldn't nuke them from orbit?

SaberBlade
May 17th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Because that would have cut into James Cameron's vision:rolleyes:. I will admit I haven't seen the movie, but I know parts of the plot. I find it ridiculous that the humans didn't win, is there a reason they couldn't nuke them from orbit?

If they did your spoiler, then it makes getting the mineral impossible. The radiation would kill anyone. Plus he needs to leave enough room for a trilogy, so expect a star warsesque battle using capture vehicles in the finale.

Petra
May 17th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I mean really, you have insane amount of money to make the movie. Why not cut FX budget by just 1% and hire a good writer? I am pretty sure you could get at least a decent one for the money.

Because if they hired a good writer hilarious articles like this one (http://tigerbeatdown.com/2010/01/18/reasons-i-laughed-out-loud-offending-several-fellow-patrons-during-the-major-motion-picture-avatar/) wouldn't have been written and I wouldn't have laughed so hard. :P :D

huntress
May 17th, 2010, 01:46 PM
avatar really did look like a lisa frank binder had sex with a mid-’80s sci-fi paperback cover and their baby threw up on your face, which was great.

word lol

DigiFluid
May 17th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Because if they hired a good writer hilarious articles like this one (http://tigerbeatdown.com/2010/01/18/reasons-i-laughed-out-loud-offending-several-fellow-patrons-during-the-major-motion-picture-avatar/) wouldn't have been written and I wouldn't have laughed so hard. :P :D
rofl

GREEN

flobo
May 18th, 2010, 03:15 AM
I HATE this movie, mostly because it's presented as a revolution and it was expensive to go see it with the whole 3D stuff.

First 15 minutes : Nice, it looks really good

minutes 15-20 : Ok, he's going to join the aliens and rebel agains the humans, what's next ?

rest of movie : Nothing, this single plot line that could fit into a 40 min episode of any show simply happen in the slowest motion i have ever seen.

About one hour in, i was really fighting to keep my eyes open and not fall asleep. If i has been alone, i'd have left.

Two hours in : The tree is falling. I was hoping the movie would finally end, but it wouldnt, another hour of nothing was to be expected.

Then finally, it finished with the ridiculous video game boss ending which assumes its 10 forms, each of one that the main character has to fight.

Xarn
May 18th, 2010, 12:41 PM
If they did your spoiler, then it makes getting the mineral impossible. The radiation would kill anyone. Plus he needs to leave enough room for a trilogy, so expect a star warsesque battle using capture vehicles in the finale.

Meh, nuking isnt the only way to ruin non technological civilization's day. You can also do biological warfare, chemical, burn off atmosphere... its not like the world isnt poisonous to you already.

SaberBlade
May 18th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Meh, nuking isnt the only way to ruin non technological civilization's day. You can also do biological warfare, chemical, burn off atmosphere... its not like the world isnt poisonous to you already.

The air is unbreathable, but the atmosphere is at least compatible enough for people to walk around in regular clothing. To start using biological warfare, chemical attacks or anything else, you risk making things even harder on the humans already there, when they start having to use more than just a mask.

Xarn
May 18th, 2010, 01:17 PM
The air is unbreathable, but the atmosphere is at least compatible enough for people to walk around in regular clothing. To start using biological warfare, chemical attacks or anything else, you risk making things even harder on the humans already there, when they start having to use more than just a mask.
Granted, but harsher environment and thus more costly and dangerous mining is still better than none at all. I actually joked about this with a friend: part two will be called "Humans strike back. (This time they mean business)" and it will last two hours, ten minutes. Ten minutes during which we will completely annihilate everything living and then we will spend next two hours of the movie strip mining the planet on a scale befiting space faring civilization. :-)

Oh wait hollywood movie. Plot shields at full strength and happe ending is required. Nevermind then, carry on.

Blencathra
May 18th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I just saw this movie on Blu ray last night. :) My daughter bought it with her birthday money & insisted we all watch it.

Visually it was very pretty but like many here I found the story was so predictable. I too thought it was like Dances with Wolves & Pocahontas with elements of Aliens thrown in for good measure. Personally I don't particularly want to ever watch it again - it just didn't interest me at all. Incidentally my daughter loved it - but she is only ten. :D

The Mighty 6 platoon
May 18th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Put me down as another who really doesn't like Avatar. In fact if your movie has me hoping that the bad guys will wipe your stupid blue hippies from the face of their planet, then you have fundamentally failed at storytelling.

Puddle-Jumper
May 18th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Avatar is a fine movie... the plot and everything is just mediocre.. but just the special effects are incredible and most people can't see past them

DigiFluid
May 18th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I don't even think "mediocre" is the right word for it. I have been made to watch a lot of really bad movies (mostly by girlfriends) over the years, and I really love bad b-movies....that said, Avatar is still one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Not even 'fun bad' either. Just really, unbelievably bad.

Replicator Todd
May 18th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Put me down as another who really doesn't like Avatar. In fact if your movie has me hoping that the bad guys will wipe your stupid blue hippies from the face of their planet, then you have fundamentally failed at storytelling.

The military got on my nerves as much as the Na'vi did, James Cameron seems to use the "dumb" talking military types in all his movies too....

The Dude of Lebowski
May 18th, 2010, 06:12 PM
i also can't believe it got nominated for all those awards. avatar and the hurt locker were over rated, over shadowing the films that should have been the top contenders for the best picture winners; Inglorious Basterds, A Serious Man and District 9.
They also made it so Tarantino didn't get best director and either tarantino or the coen brothers didnt get best screenplay.

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 18th, 2010, 06:28 PM
It's funny I should come across this thread today, after having (somewhat against my will, LOL!) watching it and having a bit of a rage about it on my blog.

There's all the stuff about the story that I already knew about so I just sort of shrugged that off but what I found really cheesed me off was the blatant use of Roger Dean's artwork, especially RD's film project, "Floating Islands". If that sounds familiar to something in Avatar, the "Floating Mountains", well, you'd be right!

There are other things, like "Dragon's Dream" and his arch gardens.

http://www.rogerdean.com/
This is RD's site.

I can't link to my blogsite here unfortunately but since it's me, what the heck, I can cut and paste like nobody's business, right?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/XXXevilgrinXXX/other%20stuff/th_morning_dragon.jpg (http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/XXXevilgrinXXX/other%20stuff/morning_dragon.jpg)

“Dragon’s Dream”
No, this isn’t a clip from Avatar, that’s all Roger Dean, one of best artists in the world. Of course, that’s my opinion :) Roger Dean has been such a huge influence on me. I guess Cameron too, or we wouldn’t see all the Dean concepts and art in Avatar. I really hope Dean sues. This is one of the more blatant ripoffs I’ve seen in a long time.

So I watched Avatar last night. It wasn’t my wish or my doing but sometimes when something is on the tube, you’ve got to watch it. There have been a slew of arguments about the storyline and how tired it is. Needless to say, I have to agree and I won’t bother to go there because there are times when it really has all been said before.

The one thing that a lot of defenders state is its visual punch, that that’s something new. After watching it last night, all I can say is a big hell no, it isn’t! There was this guy, this incredible artist that some might remember as the man that did most of the Yes album covers. He’s also done a little something called “Floating Islands”. If that sounds familiar to you from the Avatar movie, in the “Floating Mountains” scene, then you’d be right.

I searched everywhere on the credits for a tip of the hat to Dean, then went on line to see if maybe I'd missed it, where I ran into a whole slew of very choked people that had noticed the same thing I did...*grumble* Not a thing.

Giantevilhead
May 18th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Avatar wasn't really a movie as much as it was an experiment meant to test the feasibility of whether or not big budget 3D movies can make a profit. James Cameron actually intentionally dumbed down the script by a lot. In fact, that's kind of a trend with Cameron, the higher the budget, the dumber he makes the script.

SaberBlade
May 18th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Granted, but harsher environment and thus more costly and dangerous mining is still better than none at all. I actually joked about this with a friend: part two will be called "Humans strike back. (This time they mean business)" and it will last two hours, ten minutes. Ten minutes during which we will completely annihilate everything living and then we will spend next two hours of the movie strip mining the planet on a scale befiting space faring civilization. :-)

Oh wait hollywood movie. Plot shields at full strength and happe ending is required. Nevermind then, carry on.

It will definitely be Avatar 2: The Humans Strike Back. The people kicked off the planet will report back with a transmission, then 6 or 7 years later a new group of humans, all former military/mercenaries will show up to reclaim the planet on behalf of RDA.

Then Jake will end up having hair sex with some whale, after raping it by forcibly inserting his ponytail into it's blowhole. Sure the whale will complain about it, but hey, we know what whales are like, they say... well I don't know what they say because I have no clue what the onomatopoeia is for a whale song, but hey that whale was dressed provocatively and was asking for it, just to reunite the ocean clans in order to fight back.

Replicator Todd
May 18th, 2010, 08:43 PM
It will definitely be Avatar 2: The Humans Strike Back. The people kicked off the planet will report back with a transmission, then 6 or 7 years later a new group of humans, all former military/mercenaries will show up to reclaim the planet on behalf of RDA.

Then Jake will end up having hair sex with some whale, after raping it by forcibly inserting his ponytail into it's blowhole. Sure the whale will complain about it, but hey, we know what whales are like, they say... well I don't know what they say because I have no clue what the onomatopoeia is for a whale song, but hey that whale was dressed provocatively and was asking for it, just to reunite the ocean clans in order to fight back.

I think you're thinking to much, thinking about a bad film so much will hurt your brain! :D

MIZA
May 20th, 2010, 02:31 AM
i don't hate avatar , i actually like it , it is just that the story is the same like another movie called battle for terra ! however the movie is visually stunning

jds1982
May 21st, 2010, 06:50 PM
How Avatar should have ended.
[
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXraSkgssFk

KEK
May 22nd, 2010, 02:00 AM
I don't hate it, I found it reasonably enjoyable. The problem with it is how unoriginal it is, how generic it is, yet how so many people seem to think it's amazing, which only fuels resentment.

knowles2
May 30th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I dislike it, but I don't 'hate' it.

Why? Coz the Mercs/Marines SHOULD HAVE WON!!! :valaanime06:
(more poignant ending, too, I would think :D )

Didn't care much for the plot or character development, either (some bits were just a tad too unbelievable at times).

I completly agree with you the marines should have won, it would actually made me love the film. But instead it took the predictable an boring path of the heroes winning.

SantaSlayer
May 30th, 2010, 07:28 PM
One thing I hate about Avatar was when Colonel Quaritch died, he was such a bad ass for an old guy which reminds of someone in a certain show hehe.

Lairston
May 30th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I'm probably one of the few on the planet in this, but I have yet to watch this movie :P

I also am one of the few. I haven't been to see a movie in the theater in a long time. Just don't have time...

asdf1239
May 31st, 2010, 02:45 AM
i havent watched it and i dont plan on doing so, looking at unbiased sources and the trailer it just sounds like a series of special effect sequences with a poor excuse for a plot.

Dusk
June 1st, 2010, 04:30 AM
The film has its flaws, but as a whole it is a fantastic and awe-inducing spectacle. It was designed to please the masses, not be film perfection defined.

I have no issue with those who have seen the film and can express their dislike in a rational, open-minded way that is a true reflection of their personal thoughts. What I don't like are those insecure knobs who run around the internet gauging public opinion before expressing their thoughts on a film. B-aaaaa.

VampyreWraith
June 1st, 2010, 07:26 AM
all CG and no story

Thats how i saw it, i cg were great but the story was very predictible, and kinda slow moving. i didnt watch it in theaters, but i bought it on blu-ray to see what all the hype was about, i left the room for like a half hour and i forgot to press pause, when i came back i didnt feel as though i'd missed enough to actually warrant pressing rewind, i just felt like i wanted to get on with it and finish it to see if the ending was going to be as predictable as i felt it would be , and it was. It was a very visually pretty movie though.

Eternal Density
June 1st, 2010, 04:57 PM
It's like a bubble: a thin film that looks pretty, blown up by hot air.
The 'plot' was just an excuse to show off the pretty graphics and dump a bunch of green propaganda anvils :P
I wasn't disappointed by the movie because it met my low expectations (and it didn't cost me anything).

Colonel Quaritch (HERO OF THE IMPERIUM) was a pretty cool guy eh kills na'vi and doesn't afraid of anything. but he seriously messed up that final fight. Should have won but lost his gun :P

[edit] I wonder what it would have done to the profits if James Cameron's name wasn't on it?

Coco Pops
June 1st, 2010, 09:12 PM
I like the film, but only because I like all the hardware.... The aircraft and mechs .......

Having said that I've watched it only twice ..

Replicator Todd
June 1st, 2010, 09:51 PM
I like the film, but only because I like all the hardware.... The aircraft and mechs .......

Having said that I've watched it only twice ..

I've only watched it once.......never again.

Coco Pops
June 1st, 2010, 10:37 PM
I like it more then I hate it