The level of computer lockout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The level of computer lockout

I can accept that the computer has a lockout code protecting particular systems. What I don't get is what systems are accessible and what is locked. My main gripe is if the navigation system is locked, why aren't the weapons? We don't want you to change the ship's course, but feel free to blow anything away if you like.

I can accept life support accessibility. I can accept gate access. I was suprised communication was locked, what's wrong with the ability to talk with others. But weapons unlocked? That kind of goes against the Ancient creed of leaving lower life forms alone you know?

Am I crazy?

Originally posted by strods View Post
    I can accept that the computer has a lockout code protecting particular systems. What I don't get is what systems are accessible and what is locked. My main gripe is if the navigation system is locked, why aren't the weapons? We don't want you to change the ship's course, but feel free to blow anything away if you like.

I can accept life support accessibility. I can accept gate access. I was suprised communication was locked, what's wrong with the ability to talk with others. But weapons unlocked? That kind of goes against the Ancient creed of leaving lower life forms alone you know?

Am I crazy?
    Programming degrades over time. It's likely to assume that not only the programming but also the physical components that maintain the programming are also degrading. You also have a good number of intelligent people hacking at the system's programming for over 4 months now.

Personally, I would think that the entire system would be automated. The intended crew would have access to the systems through pass codes and other decryption features. This is how any professional or military system is set up in the modern world.

Comment

Originally posted by strods View Post

Am I crazy?
      The weapons are unlocked because they need to be able to defend the Destiny without restrictions. As Destiny could only be accessed from Earth, they weren't really afraid at that time of anyone gaining access to it.

The communications are locked because who would use it?

The Navigation is locked because it is set on a specific course, and the Ancients didn't want anyone to tamper with the course. In case the weapons grid was penetrated and Destiny boarded.
      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

I kinda get what you mean about the weapons being unlocked, but then again Destiny may have unlocked them when the crew arrived as the ship is, on some level aware, of the blues, and their attempts to board it, the communication is probably locked as that ties directly into the seeder ships, Destinys course, where the gates are.. if the blues got their paws on that it could be bad news for the ship..
        I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Yeah, the Destiny's primary mission has to do with navagation, so that makes sense to be locked. The weapons must have always been armed for defense so why bother locking it if no one is on the ship? Then when we came, it looks like the Destiny powered on what was needed for human survival and is waiting for the correct command code to fully unlock its systems, similar thing with needed two officers to disarm SGC's self destruct.
          My Minecraft Stargatesigpic

Comment

The only critical system that is locked is navegation that is tied to propulsion, isn't it?.
            sigpic
            - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

i think that some systems simply have been bypassed. seeing as the course is by far the most important as that's the ship sole goal, that will have the most backups and failsafes and all. guns however would be the primary of the military, so they probably spent most time on that.

Comment

Another reason that the weapons wouldn't have been protected as much is that even if you did manage to get on the ship, power up the weapons and all that, you would still need to move the ship to the place where you wanted to use them. I guess you could randomly fire off the guns,

Spoiler:
                like we did in Earth

but there would be no reason to because of power concerns and the destiny doesn't need to be in visable range of a planet to gate there, so there wouldn't always be something to shoot even if they wanted to.
                My Minecraft Stargatesigpic

Comment

Well, I know a lot of people do not accept that the blue aliens have been on board before. But if they had, and they were working on getting access to ship, and they had managed to break into a few systems...

But then again, maybe it makes more sense to have navigation locked out, but be able to blow things away at will, right? The scrubbing medium was all used up when they first got on board, and that makes perfect sense if Destiny had been in vacuum the whole time, with the CO2 scrubbers doing nothing. I mean, the drives and shields and computer were on for 5 million years, but somehow, it is only non-critical and inconsequential systems that have failed.

Comment

Unless the goal was simply to get Destiny to drop out of FTL? Seems to me, if you wanted the ship to stop, you wait till just before it leaves the galaxy, and you fire weapons till the energy is drained. Then the ship is yours.

Comment

Originally posted by kwlafayette View Post
                      Well, I know a lot of people do not accept that the blue aliens have been on board before. But if they had, and they were working on getting access to ship, and they had managed to break into a few systems...

But then again, maybe it makes more sense to have navigation locked out, but be able to blow things away at will, right? The scrubbing medium was all used up when they first got on board, and that makes perfect sense if Destiny had been in vacuum the whole time, with the CO2 scrubbers doing nothing. I mean, the drives and shields and computer were on for 5 million years, but somehow, it is only non-critical and inconsequential systems that have failed.
                      Why does it always have to be the blue aliens? 5 million years is a heck of long time for anything perishable to last, even in a vacuum. Perhaps the scrubbers retained residual traces of atmospheric gases from when the Ancients were last aboard the ship, as far back as when she was launched, and those gases allowed minute numbers of bacteria or other biological contaminates to survive for decades or centuries, consuming and destroying the scrubbing medium in the process.

Comment

Yes, I know your theories, that the shields and defenses of Destiny have never been breached. All the holes in the ship are therefore the result of explosions from the inside, and while they seem serious, have never affected any major system.

Why do you keep insisting on replying to my posts? I know you think I am wrong. What more needs to be said?

Comment

Why do you keep insisting on replying to my posts? I know you think I am wrong. What more needs to be said?
                          I like the debate, that's why. Maybe one day you'll come up with something that can't be refuted..who knows?

And for the record, I'm not intentionally trying to aggravate you or anything. I just came across your familiar-themed post as I was browsing threads. Sorry if you feel that I am...

Comment

It was stated in Sabotage that the engines had more safe guards than they could count. I am going to take a guest an say the team will fine the same situation with the shields an computer systems.
                            An that the Ancients put far fewer redundancies in less important systems, such as life support, which the ancients could of easily bought there own with them or weapons systems.

Comment

I don't think the level of lockout is at all surprising. Weapons are really quite irrelevant when the ship can't change course. When you consider the "Big space" theory that it is almost impossible to accidently come within any sort of relevant proximity to another spaceship, it would be fair for the Ancients to assume that the only time a ship would come close is if it was trying to attack the ship. If the crew refused to fight back, Destiny's AI would probably steal control back and fire itself, but I don't think that there is any worry of anyone using it as a warship or anything.

As for engines, the Ancients would not want anyone turning them off under any circumstances. As for stopping the ship by using weapons, I think Destiny would not let you fire beyond the point of being able to reach the nearest star on remaining power.

Comment

Working...
                              X