PDA

View Full Version : Aliens and the communication stones

Andru10
May 11th, 2010, 03:13 AM
How could the aliens connect to James without a terminal in which to put the stones? We know the only way the Ancient link works is if there is an Ancient terminal or human made terminal in which to put the stones. Did the aliens some how manage to build one? If so, how?
Also, how was Young able to connect to the alien the first time? Since the alien had just a stone, and not a terminal, how was that possible?

Duneknight
May 11th, 2010, 03:26 AM
i think whoever touched the stone last is the one that will connect with. but we dont know if aliens have the terminal or not. if they have a stone then why wont they have a terminal? what i dont understand is how did humans reverse engineer the ancient terminal into a small package one? when we barely know how it works?

Mongoletsi
May 11th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Sometimes I wonder if we're watching the same show ;) It's not even a little subtle tidbit for keen viewers, given there were two consecutive episodes featuring these aliens, clearly showing they had tech that works along the same principles as the stones. Sorry but seriously c'mon!

Duneknight
May 11th, 2010, 04:50 AM
those aliens dont have tech that works on the same principles as the stones, what are you referring to? that thing they put on their heads is for reading minds not hijacking bodies.

Mike.
May 11th, 2010, 04:59 AM
i think whoever touched the stone last is the one that will connect with. but we dont know if aliens have the terminal or not. if they have a stone then why wont they have a terminal? what i dont understand is how did humans reverse engineer the ancient terminal into a small package one? when we barely know how it works?

Perhaps the terminal was only fancy battery. The real tech is inside the stone.

Did the aliens some how manage to build one? If so, how?
They must have built their own version. How is not really important, SGU seems to shun the technical aspects of the plot and focus more on the rest. Too bad, this was one of my favorite parts of SG1 and SGA.

Also, how was Young able to connect to the alien the first time? Since the alien had just a stone, and not a terminal, how was that possible?

It's possible that they were already experimenting with the stone but at the time had no idea just how it worked (the Blue Alien that got transfered in Young's body seemed very surprised).

Andru10
May 11th, 2010, 05:51 AM

They must have built their own version. How is not really important, SGU seems to shun the technical aspects of the plot and focus more on the rest. Too bad, this was one of my favorite parts of SG1 and SGA.

We were only able to build our own version probably after studying the Ancient version. It's hard to believe that we could have figured out how to build one without the Ancients terminal since no one would have known that they can be used for body swapping

Steelbox
May 11th, 2010, 06:01 AM
We were only able to build our own version probably after studying the Ancient version. It's hard to believe that we could have figured out how to build one without the Ancients terminal since no one would have known that they can be used for body swapping

The only pedestal that we know of was destroyed by Mitchel and Teal'c. Thrown into ans unstable vortex of an Stargate to save Daniel Jackson and Vala Mal Doran from beign burn to death by an Ori Prior and the Chaplain. So it was possible to reverse it with out having it, just by the stones.

Yes they have. If the Aliens did not have an pedestal it would have worked only one way young->Alien. Though the alien did connect to young.

It's possible that they were already experimenting with the stone but at the time had no idea just how it worked (the Blue Alien that got transfered in Young's body seemed very surprised).
They managed to acquire an stone from Rush. I do remember young saying to rush that he had an stone since the beginning of the show. After that they probed Rush's mind and learned what it was. And since we had easily reverse engendered it so could they. Surprised, yes, since he was not expecting to be transfered, not because he did not know what it was.

Duneknight
May 11th, 2010, 06:34 AM
yeah they did take Rush's stone but they left his glasses, why is that? something is fishy here.

Egle01
May 11th, 2010, 08:12 AM
yeah they did take Rush's stone but they left his glasses, why is that? something is fishy here.If I were you, I wouldn't be so sure that the aliens got the stone from Rush.

Duneknight
May 11th, 2010, 08:15 AM
If I were you, I wouldn't be so sure that the aliens got the stone from Rush.

why? do you have it? what are you gonna do with it? leave me alone man, i done nothin to you.

Egle01
May 11th, 2010, 08:18 AM
why? do you have it? what are you gonna do with it?They had 5 stones in the box. When Rush first opened it, there were 5 stones. When he went to talk to the crew, he could have easily said that they have 4 stones (had he taken one to himself), but he didn't. It'd be obvious if one stone had been missing.

What would Rush gain by having a communication stone? He has no one to visit on Earth. Moreover, what was he going to do with a stone on another planet? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Duneknight
May 11th, 2010, 08:26 AM
They had 5 stones in the box. When Rush first opened it, there were 5 stones. When he went to talk to the crew, he could have easily said that they have 4 stones (had he taken one to himself), but he didn't. It'd be obvious if one stone had been missing.

What would Rush gain by having a communication stone? He has no one to visit on Earth. Moreover, what was he going to do with a stone on another planet? Doesn't make any sense at all.

so you just disputed your own argument. cool, can i join in next time?

Egle01
May 11th, 2010, 08:28 AM
so you just disputed your own argument.Did I?

Duneknight
May 11th, 2010, 08:32 AM
you're suggesting Rush's involvement with the Lucian Alliance? LA have nothing to offer Rush, unless he wants a sarcophagus for his wife.

Steelbox
May 11th, 2010, 10:37 AM
They had 5 stones in the box. When Rush first opened it, there were 5 stones. When he went to talk to the crew, he could have easily said that they have 4 stones (had he taken one to himself), but he didn't. It'd be obvious if one stone had been missing.

Bang you, right from the transcript of Divided, of your beloved god, gateworld! Wouldn't be obvious if you didn't know that there was originally 5 stones instead of 4.

Some time later, Destiny has come out of F.T.L. Rush walks into the office of Colonel Everett Young.

RUSH: We need to talk.

YOUNG: I was thinking the same thing.

RUSH: Were you, now?

YOUNG: The communication stones.

RUSH (shrugging): What about them?

YOUNG: You took one. It's the only explanation. You were the first to open the box; you kept one for yourself.

RUSH: And why would I do that?

YOUNG: Maybe you thought it was some kind of insurance policy. I don't know. You probably thought it wasn't safe to keep in your room, especially after that whole incident with Spencer's gun, so you kept one with you.

Duneknight
May 11th, 2010, 10:39 AM
just because he accused him doesnt mean he actually took one. we knew Rush was asked about them but he never admited to it.

Andru10
May 11th, 2010, 11:16 AM
The only pedestal that we know of was destroyed by Mitchel and Teal'c. Thrown into ans unstable vortex of an Stargate to save Daniel Jackson and Vala Mal Doran from beign burn to death by an Ori Prior and the Chaplain. So it was possible to reverse it with out having it, just by the stones.

Incorrect, there was also the one in Atlantis which Ronon shot with his gun. That one wasn't completely destroyed, and could have been studied. Also it's reasonable to assume that both devices were scaned before being used. And it's plausible for us to make one because we've had years of experience with Ancient technology. The Aliens had just found one stone ... I just don't see how they were able to make a communication device as well. It's possible they gained some information about the device from probing Rush's mind.

just because he accused him doesnt mean he actually took one. we knew Rush was asked about them but he never admited to it.

There's also a scene in Space of an Alien holding a communication stone. Acquiring it from Rush is the only plausible possibility. Also, Rush didn't deny having the stone.

kymeric
May 11th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Oneill and that barber connected for YEARS without a terminal. Granted it wasn't body swapping, but they still had significant contact without a terminal. Seems the blue aliens are better at stoning than humans.

thekillman
May 11th, 2010, 11:22 AM
we could build a stone emulator. i bet the BA's could too. anyway, the stones work without terminals in close proximity.

Andru10
May 11th, 2010, 11:46 AM
we could build a stone emulator. i bet the BA's could too. anyway, the stones work without terminals in close proximity.

Yes, but they don't cause body swapping. And close proximity is relative ... O'Neill and the barber were on the same planet (no body swapping involved). Young and the alien were lightyears apart

Mike.
May 11th, 2010, 11:47 AM
anyway, the stones work without terminals in close proximity.

Which supports my theory that the terminals are nothing more than power generators that allow the signal strength to be boosted.

GoodSmeagol
May 11th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I remember a scene from the episode Vala was in Daniels body.
Carter stated they found a way to replicate the energy or subspace signature what ever technobabbnle of the terminal to create their own.
So the BAs coulda detected the signal and found a way to replicate it too?

garhkal
May 12th, 2010, 05:40 AM

plus young has acused him of knowing that the ship refuels from suns, and some other stuff. Does that automatically mean it happened?

There's also a scene in Space of an Alien holding a communication stone. Acquiring it from Rush is the only plausible possibility. Also, Rush didn't deny having the stone.

And as i have said before, i feel they got that FROM the destiny. Or if not there, maybe from a seeder ship which had one and a terminal on.

Mongoletsi
May 13th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Sometimes I wonder if we're watching the same show ;) It's not even a little subtle tidbit for keen viewers, given there were two consecutive episodes featuring these aliens, clearly showing they had tech that works along the same principles as the stones. Sorry but seriously c'mon!those aliens dont have tech that works on the same principles as the stones, what are you referring to? that thing they put on their heads is for reading minds not hijacking bodies.

It CLEARLY works on the same principal. How do we know this? BECAUSE THERE WERE TWO EPISODES REVOLVING AROUND THIS VERY POINT. Heeeeeeeeeeebus.

Astrofighter
May 13th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Yeah someone touched on it earlier, the SGC had the device working at the end of season 9, when vala got a hold of them with a working device in the ori galaxy. Even though our original ver. was destroyed at the start of the season. Carter had made a device that would function in place of the one they lost and it worked, Vala went into Daniels body. However, that was on the older ver. of the device. The one in the Pegasus galaxy is the two way device that they use on SGU. The one in SG1 was one way only. McKay made note of it and said it was an upgrade.