Do the BA use FTL similar to Destinys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do the BA use FTL similar to Destinys?

I just remembered that at the end of Air pt.3 a BA ship detached from Destiny while in FTL and flew away, plus their ships look like their using it when they go into and come out of FTL.

Interesting to think about really, maybe they developed the technology specifically to follow destiny, or perhaps further out into the universe hyperdrive doesn't work for some reason and so that type of FTL is the only way to travel faster then light, that also might explain why Earth ships can't ever reach the destiny regardless of how many ZPM's they have....
    I dunno what to put in here now..

wtf is a BA?

..... oh your talking about the Smurfs.

Interesting point. We know and have seen what happens when your not apart of the ship when it jumps into FTL. In Air though, we seen one of their shuttles detach and cruise away, harm free. Maybe the physics are different, if your attached to the ship and detach while in FTL.
    Last edited by dacooker; 10 May 2010, 08:11 AM. Reason: adding stuff
    sigpic

Comment

Well if Destiny's FTL still keeps it in normal space without going into subspace or anything, then maybe all you need is a strong shield to not be ripped apart?

Spoiler:
      That attached shuttle could have been modified to have a stronger shield than their other craft that got wiped out in Sabatoge.

Also, since the Blue Aliens/Smurfs/Space Dolphins have been following Destiny, they probably have learned something about it's FTL from watching it jump, montoring radiation, energy levels and whatnot.
      My Minecraft Stargatesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dacooker View Post
        wtf is a BA?

..... oh your talking about the Smurfs.

Interesting point. We know and have seen what happens when your not apart of the ship when it jumps into FTL. In Air though, we seen one of their shuttles detach and cruise away, harm free. Maybe the physics are different, if your attached to the ship and detach while in FTL.
        However at the end of sabotage
        Spoiler:
        you see some of the ships being destroyed as Destiny jumps into FTL, I don't know if this was due to the turrets or not though. but surely if they're able to detach while Destiny is in FTL then they should be able to be in close proximity when it goes into it, maybe something happens when Destiny jumps to FTL that causes the ships to blow up. I was about to suggest that it might be because the ships have shields and it was only because the shuttle wasn't being included in the ships shield that Eli said they would be destroyed but I don't think that the little ships have shields.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eye-pod View Post
          Spoiler:
          you see some of the ships being destroyed as Destiny jumps into FTL, I don't know if this was due to the turrets or not though. but surely if they're able to detach while Destiny is in FTL then they should be able to be in close proximity when it goes into it, maybe something happens when Destiny jumps to FTL that causes the ships to blow up. I was about to suggest that it might be because the ships have shields and it was only because the shuttle wasn't being included in the ships shield that Eli said they would be destroyed but I don't think that the little ships have shields.
          Ya but when the ship is going into FTL it might cause some big spacial disturbance or something of the likes..... thats generally what Id put that stuff down to..

Comment

it looks different and similar at the same time...perhaps its a less advanced version engineered from a seeder ship?

Comment

Im guessing the Bug Aliens got a good long look at the seeder ship when it came through millions of years ago, maybe even boarded it or downloaded some data. That would explain their technology and their obsession with Destiny.

Comment

Ya it was said somewhere that there was more then then 1 seeder ship so its possible they reveresed engineered it from one that was damaged or they perhaps 1 that they shot down and that developed into their destiny obsession

Comment

Originally posted by Eye-pod View Post
                  Spoiler:
                  The ships that got destroyed where on the front side of the ship. When Destiny accelerated into FTL they simple impacted in the shield and got destroyed. The one that survived was on the back side.

Eli is no where even an beginner in ftl engine theories. Even doubt Rush said anything about
                  it to him. Though he could have learned something reading destiny logs. But i believe that he was only wildly guessing about it.
                  Thou right i believe.
                  sigpic
                  - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Meh, if Wraith can use Hyperdrive then the Smurfs can use FTL.
                    Also it looks different from Destiny's FTL.

Comment

I would suggest that the Destiny's drive technology is a "natural precursor" to hyperdrive technology, except that the Destiny is clearly faster than most hyperdrive-equipped ships.

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                      perhaps further out into the universe hyperdrive doesn't work for some reason and so that type of FTL is the only way to travel faster then light, that also might explain why Earth ships can't ever reach the destiny regardless of how many ZPM's they have....
                      As far as we can tell, the laws of physics are the same everywhere in the visible universe.

Edit: One thought that I had was the possibility that hyperdrives might require a specific sort of fuel (such as liquid Naquadah, or something), while Destiny's FTL system can run off of the ships power reserves alone.
                      Last edited by Quadhelix; 17 May 2010, 06:29 AM.
                      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                      - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                      - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                      - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

How long was Destiny afloat in the void between galaxies before the BA caught up to them? 6 weeks? If that is the case then it took the BA 4-6 weeks to make it as far as Destiny traveled in 2 days(ish), sound right?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                          How long was Destiny afloat in the void between galaxies before the BA caught up to them? 6 weeks? If that is the case then it took the BA 4-6 weeks to make it as far as Destiny traveled in 2 days(ish), sound right?
                          Not necessarily: they got to the planet within a matter of days/hours. It might just be that they didn't know the Destiny's exact position, and thus had to spend those three weeks narrowing down its position.
                          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                            Edit: One thought that I had was the possibility that hyperdrives might require a specific sort of fuel (such as liquid Naquadah, or something), while Destiny's FTL system can run off of the ships power reserves alone.
                            Atlantis went into hyperspace just fine powered by ZPMs, so I don't think there's a dependency on naquadah for this specific travel method.
                            Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
                              Atlantis went into hyperspace just fine powered by ZPMs, so I don't think there's a dependency on naquadah for this specific travel method.
                              WARNING! THE FOLLOWING IS BASELESS SPECULATION:

The hyperdrives could have some sort of "propellant"/fuel tank inside. Who knows, that could be what caused Atlantis to drop out of hyperspace in "Enemy at the Gate": it ran out of fuel for its hyperdrive, despite having plenty of remaining power.

The analogy that I had in mind was that Hyperdrives were like internal combustion engines, while Destiny's FTL was like an electric motor.

In any case, I cannot emphasize enough that this is all just wild speculation.

Comment

Working...
                              X