PDA

View Full Version : That song was very jarring

Ragitsu
May 9th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Anyone else not fond of the music choice in this episode?

Egle01
May 9th, 2010, 01:38 PM
No, I liked it.

carmencatalina
May 9th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I liked it, as well. I've been enjoying the music, so no complaints.

Morganrone93
May 9th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Does anyone here know what the song was named? I am too tired to search for it atm, sorry. :P

carmencatalina
May 9th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Does anyone here know what the song was named? I am too tired to search for it atm, sorry. :P

According to MattSilver:

For the curious, today's song was by Interpol frontman's alias Julian Plenti, called "Only If You Run", from his first album "Skyscraper"

Youtube link for those interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt40__1OlqU

s09119
May 9th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Every song in this show is jarring, though. More proof of how not-Stargate this stupid show really is.

:P

But seriously, I liked it :D

Mike.
May 9th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I liked it, it fit with the show. :) But I'm not going to listen to it again though.

EvilSpaceAlien
May 9th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I liked it. I've even downloaded it and I have it on my cell phone. :)

Petra
May 9th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Nope. I loved it.

All songs used on the show so far were very fitting, IMO, but this one was the first I liked on its own, as a song to listen to, not just SGU supplement. In fact, I liked it so much that I downloaded it and have it on my iPod. :)

hisg1fans
May 9th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I've hated all of the montages in SGU and am saddened to see them being used again. What a waste of storytelling time.

s09119
May 9th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I've hated all of the montages in SGU and am saddened to see them being used again. What a waste of storytelling time.

...it's like 30 seconds to a minute.

atlantis-abydos
May 9th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I think they spend too much time on those music montages and personal dramas. Where's the big alien space fights? I mean we got a battle that lasted like what, five minutes? I'm trying hard to like SGU, because I just don't wanna give up on the franchise, but besides Rush I find it all pretty irritating. Especially the music, yes.

s09119
May 9th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I think they spend too much time on those music montages and personal dramas. Where's the big alien space fights? I mean we got a battle that lasted like what, five minutes? I'm trying hard to like SGU, because I just don't wanna give up on the franchise, but besides Rush I find it all pretty irritating. Especially the music, yes.

Are you complaining about Universe or the first 5 or so seasons of SG-1?

magictrick
May 9th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I like the music and I like the show - yes that's right, a sci-fi show that's not all about alien space battles and weapon blasts.

HaMm3r
May 9th, 2010, 04:46 PM
As a whole, I've enjoy the music choices for the entire SGU series, including the main themes and the trailers. I've even purchased a few of them. However, the song in Sabotage was the first one that felt "off" to me. Not that I strongly disliked it, it was just odd.

Oh, and the montages are some of my favorite parts of the episodes that have them. There have been way too many big space battles in the decades of sci-fi TV and movies, in the past. This new format is soo much more entertaining.

Lord Hurin
May 9th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I'm not a fan of the music at all because to me it seems like a cheesy attempt to either get younger viewers interested by playing the "hot" new artist's songs or an attempt to make some quick cash from the record companies and give a newbie's career a little boost.

More to the point in this episode, I found it a little bit of overkill to have both a musical montage and the "three weeks later" thing. I mean, isn't that the montage's job?

AndSoItBegins
May 9th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I'm not a fan of the music at all because to me it seems like a cheesy attempt to either get younger viewers interested by playing the "hot" new artist's songs or an attempt to make some quick cash from the record companies and give a newbie's career a little boost.

Doubtful that either of these was a factor in TPTB's decision to put together the music montage.

AndSoItBegins
May 9th, 2010, 05:08 PM

Actually in this episode that montage told a few minutes worth of story in 30 seconds. In other words it managed to save time all the while filing us in on what's been happening amongst all the crew during that stretch of time.

Cory Holmes
May 9th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I really enjoy the montages, especially this one. The music fit well with the feeling of despondant and moroseness, of being stuck in space and time (literally). It also let the PTBs use their mantra of "show, not tell" of life on board the ship while it's just stuck there, dead in space. If you think watching 30 seconds of clips is monotonous, imagine how it must be to live there.

HaMm3r
May 9th, 2010, 05:15 PM

I respect your opinion, but I have say that it's not only "younger viewers" who like SGU's music. To give some perspective, I was around when Kirk, Spock and crew "boldly went where no man had gone before" for the first time on TV.

Lord Hurin
May 9th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Doubtful that either of these was a factor in TPTB's decision to put together the music montage.

Possibly not, it's just what my jaded mind comes up with.

Lord Hurin
May 9th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I respect your opinion, but I have say that it's not only "younger viewers" who like SGU's music. To give some perspective, I was around when Kirk, Spock and crew "boldly went where no man had gone before" for the first time on TV.

Fair enough. I think (because it's been said by TPTB) that they're trying to reach a younger target audience with this show, and that they believe the music will help. That's not to say that only young people will like it, however.

Lahela
May 9th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Another "older person" here, and and I also like the way the music is used, even if I don't enjoy every song. This one in particular, I loved in the context in which it was used. I think it is my favourite so far (an honour that had gone to Breathe in Air3 until now). :)

Artemis-Neith
May 10th, 2010, 12:09 AM
I don't see anything wrong with the use of this kind of music, or this special one, alongside with the parts from Goldsmith, specially composed for SGU. And like Lahela, Lord Hurin, and others before me, mentioned: why should it be only an attempt to get younger people on the show, it's not that people behind their twenties never listend to recent music. ;)

PG15
May 10th, 2010, 02:54 AM

Except it does tell the story, just in a different way than usual. Through the montages you get small updates on how characters/plots are evolving, updates that may not need their own long scenes filled with dialogue.

I loved this montage; probably my second favorite after the one in the pilot. Most of the songs used in SGU so far seem to have a special feeling to them - not emo - but more like an acceptance of the (crappy) reality they are in. It's hard to explain.

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 10th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Another "older person" here, and and I also like the way the music is used, even if I don't enjoy every song. This one in particular, I loved in the context in which it was used. I think it is my favourite so far (an honour that had gone to Breathe in Air3 until now). :)chalk me up as another coffin dodger. I liked Breathe as well :)

Except it does tell the story, just in a different way than usual. Through the montages you get small updates on how characters/plots are evolving, updates that may not need their own long scenes filled with dialogue.

I loved this montage; probably my second favorite after the one in the pilot. Most of the songs used in SGU so far seem to have a special feeling to them - not emo - but more like an acceptance of the (crappy) reality they are in. It's hard to explain.yep, you can piece together a bunch of scenes without dialogue and not have to make a special episode for Brody's still-making or the many other things that, although they would be cool, don't need an episode to themselves. They've found a way, in-episode, to explain how they got booze, or how they all managed to get along or any of the other questions we always seem to have

carmencatalina
May 10th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I like the music, and I'm no spring chicken. I'm more of a late summer chicken. Maybe early autumn.

Ragitsu
May 10th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Some folks are actually shocked that other people don't love everything about this show.

Cory Holmes
May 10th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Some folks are actually shocked that other people don't love everything about this show.

... you're lying.

AndSoItBegins
May 10th, 2010, 06:17 PM

Nice try. How about some of us don't agree with every negative opinion of the show and we politely point out why we think something the show did worked just fine. And we don't have to be snarky or sarcastic when we make our points. Hint, hint.

Sp!der
May 10th, 2010, 11:43 PM
hell they had two of my favorite bands in this show flogging molly & julian plenti, no complaints here...

Wayston
May 11th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I liked it

Alarria
May 11th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I really enjoyed the episode, but I don't enjoy the modern music (with lyrics) in the episodes. Just my opinion.

Duneknight
May 11th, 2010, 10:18 AM
i dont like those montages, they are so pointless especially when bad music is involved. did you guys notice how the writers use those montages as fillers? to fill the time that is.

MattSilver 3k
May 11th, 2010, 10:19 AM
i dont like those montages, they are so pointless especially when bad music is involved. did you guys notice how the writers use those montages as fillers? to fill the time that is.

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/the_more_you_know2.jpg

Egle01
May 11th, 2010, 11:03 AM
did you guys notice how the writers use those montages as fillers? to fill the time that is.Maybe so, but those montages and short glimpses of characters can be so much more telling than some dialogue, imo.

Lord Hurin
May 11th, 2010, 02:30 PM

You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.

Damn! :D

Lord Hurin
May 11th, 2010, 02:33 PM

It's not the montages I have a problem with; quite the opposite in fact. I'm not a huge fan of the music they use.

Petra
May 11th, 2010, 03:14 PM
i dont like those montages,

Tough.

But if it really bothers you so much, you can always use Jack O'Neill method: stick your fingers in your ears and hum really loudly. It was said to solve a whole lot of problems. *nods*

:P

they are so pointless

Nope, they aren't.

especially when bad music is involved.

"Bad music" is a subjective term. I'm not a fan of the songs they've used (except the last one, which was awesome) myself, but they were all very fitting and I'm sure there are people who enjoy listening to them.

did you guys notice how the writers use those montages as fillers? to fill the time that is.

What you call fillers, I call another way of storytelling. Different style of narrative. Stargate franchise entering the 21st century. Etc. etc....

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 11th, 2010, 03:32 PM
GREEN!

It's not the montages I have a problem with; quite the opposite in fact. I'm not a huge fan of the music they use.

"Bad music" is a subjective term. I'm not a fan of the songs they've used (except the last one, which was awesome) myself, but they were all very fitting and I'm sure there are people who enjoy listening to them.

What you call fillers, I call another way of storytelling. Different style of narrative. Stargate franchise entering the 21st century. Etc. etc....

the music used in SGU isn't music I would normally listen to.
It doesn't make it bad and as a result of watching and liking SGU, I've come to like some of that music and even add it to my collection. A little stretching never hurt anyone. I've been liking the montages as a form of storytelling. It gives us a lot of information that might be boring as hell if it played out in a longer stretch, or that would be missed if it was never shown at all. Could I stand a whole show of one long montage? Of course not, but it isn't like this is the first show to do it either. Everything changes, even filmmaking :)

Dex Luther
May 11th, 2010, 03:46 PM

I don't know what episodes of what show you've been watching, but I haven't heard a single 'hot' new artists song on SGU. I would have hated this series if that was the case. I have nothing against giving these unknowns some much deserved recognition. Especially when it's used as perfectly as it is here.

AVFan
May 11th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I don't know what episodes of what show you've been watching, but I haven't heard a single 'hot' new artists song on SGU. I would have hated this series if that was the case. I have nothing against giving these unknowns some much deserved recognition. Especially when it's used as perfectly as it is here.

Disagree. Most of the songs have been pretty bad IMO. Sabotage's music was alright.. I didn't want to tear my ears off like some of the others. The only one I've liked so far has been "Worst Day Since Yesterday" (ironically, it's on Life, the episode that I would count in the battle for the worst episode so far, along with Earth).

I don't really understand the need for TPTB to use trendy songs. Every once in a while it's alright (maybe once or twice a season), but contemporary musical montages nearly every episode are getting under my skin. I would much rather have traditional symphonic music.

But each person to his own.

Lord Hurin
May 11th, 2010, 04:31 PM

Fair enough, I didn't realize they were mostly unknowns. It still doesn't change my opinion much, unfortunately. It still seems almost like they're trying to go for a "The O.C." feel. That's the only other TV show I can recall watching that had contemporary music inserted in so many episodes.

droid327
May 11th, 2010, 11:34 PM
This episode actually wasnt that bad, the music was appropriate to the scene without being too blunt and obvious, as the musical selections often are. The music complemented the feel of the scene and the flow of the story, rather than interrupting the plot and announcing itself ("indie music montage break!") like it usually does.

This was also one instance where a montage isnt a tired TV cliche, as they were using it in its classic application of showing the passage of time, rather than just giving an excuse to show all the characters being emotional and adding a track to the "SGU: S1 Soundtrack Album feat. 'I'm on a Spaceship' by T-Pain, for sale on iTunes June 15th"

EvilSpaceAlien
May 12th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Fair enough, I didn't realize they were mostly unknowns. It still doesn't change my opinion much, unfortunately. It still seems almost like they're trying to go for a "The O.C." feel. That's the only other TV show I can recall watching that had contemporary music inserted in so many episodes.

Watch Scrubs. The way they used contemporary music on that show was brilliant. I especially love the montage set to How to Save a Life by The Fray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDoqGGs1IM
The music really enhances the scene and I feel the same way about some of the songs on SGU.

gildor23
May 12th, 2010, 09:06 AM
30 seconds of garbage is still garbage. Strive for perfection, don't settle

J_schinderlin56
May 12th, 2010, 09:43 AM
The show needs some M.C. Hammer!

Morganrone93
May 12th, 2010, 09:57 AM

Noo,no, no, no, no no no, no.... no.... please no.

EvilSpaceAlien
May 12th, 2010, 10:01 AM

Palm, meet face.
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2010/1/7/633984545604473050-TacticalFacepalm.jpg