PDA

View Full Version : A Cloned Body?

kirmit
May 9th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I just had a thought, we know in stargate they have dabbled with cloning technology, so do you think it would be possible to create a cloned body of perry but 100% healthy and somehow use the stones to permanently transfer her consciousness into it, kind of like what the Asgard used to do.

Morganrone93
May 9th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I am pretty sure it would be able to heal her with the sarchopag ( spelling ) och the goauld handhealing device.

But that was SG-1 and SG-A.

escyos
May 9th, 2010, 02:12 AM
you would have to have the stone on constantly and if one of them died, they both would. its not a good idea.

garhkal
May 9th, 2010, 05:32 AM
But i can easily see them using a sarcofigus or the healing devices... Or why not use tretonin/a tok-ra symbiont.

hiro
May 9th, 2010, 06:00 AM
the other way is prepare his path to the ascension , i think she already talk with Rush about it

fmbchris
May 9th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I bet if they go the the planet Pandora she should be able to get a brand new blue alien body..oh sorry! wrong show.

escyos
May 9th, 2010, 08:44 AM
But i can easily see them using a sarcofigus or the healing devices... Or why not use tretonin/a tok-ra symbiont.

while many alien healing devices heal injury/death etc. being diabled for so long would cause the muscles and other parts to become very damaged. simply putting them in the sarcophagus or implanting them with a tok'ra wouldnt work, such a thing is beyond sarcophagi and tok'ra

Heart of Light
May 9th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I think they should build a hyperdrive into her wheelchair, so she can join the Lucian Alliance, who are clearly going to find a way aboard the Destiny in the next couple of episodes.

Astrofighter
May 9th, 2010, 11:04 AM
while many alien healing devices heal injury/death etc. being diabled for so long would cause the muscles and other parts to become very damaged. simply putting them in the sarcophagus or implanting them with a tok'ra wouldnt work, such a thing is beyond sarcophagi and tok'ra

lol...no the sarcophagus can bring dead people back to life...you think some damaged muscle is beyond its power of healing....people have had holes blown through them that it put back .... come on now

also who needs that we have the healing power of the symbionts in tretonin why not just start giving her regular injections of that...sure she would need it the rest of her life...but it would be a very long life and it doesnt seem to bother t'ealc

escyos
May 9th, 2010, 11:18 AM
lol...no the sarcophagus can bring dead people back to life...you think some damaged muscle is beyond its power of healing....people have had holes blown through them that it put back .... come on now

the sarcophagus isnt designed to repair such things. why would it be? the goa'uld would just get a new host.

also who needs that we have the healing power of the symbionts in tretonin why not just start giving her regular injections of that...sure she would need it the rest of her life...but it would be a very long life and it doesnt seem to bother t'ealc

tertonin is a replacement for the immune system, there is no evidence it would heal her condition

Morganrone93
May 9th, 2010, 11:26 AM
the sarcophagus isnt designed to repair such things. why would it be? the goa'uld would just get a new host.

tertonin is a replacement for the immune system, there is no evidence it would heal her condition

Tretonin have nearly or identical effect as the Goauld symbiote aswell, so I am pretty sure it would heal her, otherwise just temporary let a Tokra symbiote heal her, then use the tretonin.

Mr chuckles
May 9th, 2010, 11:27 AM
they could nanite her ass!

....and then the rest of her.

Eestlanna
May 9th, 2010, 11:59 AM
somehow use the stones to permanently transfer her consciousness
If there was a possibility to transfer somebody permanently, they would use it to transfer the people from Destiny to Earth and not the other way round. :)

escyos
May 9th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Tretonin have nearly or identical effect as the Goauld symbiote aswell, so I am pretty sure it would heal her, otherwise just temporary let a Tokra symbiote heal her, then use the tretonin.

1. tretonin doesnt work like a symbiote, its just a means to build internal immunities. that is all it does, nothing more
2. A tok'ra (or other symbiote) would not be able to heal such a thing, we have seen how severe lymphoma was difficult for a tok'ra to cure, Selmak had to rest for a few hours before even being moved. They simple canno heal such an affliction
3. A tok'ra wouldnt even try, it would be suicide. They would prefer healthy hosts...as would goa'uld

pipi
May 9th, 2010, 05:41 PM
On Atlantis they made a human replicator in a beam of light, so the possibilities of giving Perry an artifical body are quite high. Or even a conscious transfer.

jsonitsac
May 9th, 2010, 06:02 PM
It's also possible that she may not want to be cured. Many people with disabilities tend to see the disability as an important part of who they are. While many disabled people accept tools to help them function in society one of their key beliefs is that the disability makes them who they are and feel that if they could be turned into an able bodied person they would lose a signifgant part of their identity. Now granted, much of this may also have to do with the fact that we don't quite have the technology to cure spinal cord injuries.

For Perry the trip to Destiny may have been a nice escape, but she may not have wanted to live there forever.

1. tretonin doesnt work like a symbiote, its just a means to build internal immunities. that is all it does, nothing more
2. A tok'ra (or other symbiote) would not be able to heal such a thing, we have seen how severe lymphoma was difficult for a tok'ra to cure, Selmak had to rest for a few hours before even being moved. They simple canno heal such an affliction
3. A tok'ra wouldnt even try, it would be suicide. They would prefer healthy hosts...as would goa'uld

An illness confined Adrian Conrad to a wheelchair and after he was taken as a host was able to walk like an able bodied person.

Astrofighter
May 9th, 2010, 06:22 PM

If that is all it does then how is teal'c still alive? he has been using it for 50 years and all he has to show for is a streak of white hair, if all it did was work on his immune system he would be old and weak by now

also the tokra said they deal with cancer all the time in their hosts, the reason why it took selmak so long was because it was fighting to keep its old host alive up to the point it got with jacob and was exhausted to begin with

its all mute though, think about it how many ships to the free jaffa have now? a lot and of those ships you think zero have a sarcophagus...if the tauri wanted one they could get one, then all they would have to do is say "one time use only" no one uses it multiple times in a short time span and bam no negative effects why dont they ? its a tv show they want to have more stories to tell and not have all disease and injury taken away from writing

escyos
May 9th, 2010, 06:24 PM
It's also possible that she may not want to be cured. Many people with disabilities tend to see the disability as an important part of who they are. While many disabled people accept tools to help them function in society one of their key beliefs is that the disability makes them who they are and feel that if they could be turned into an able bodied person they would lose a signifgant part of their identity. Now granted, much of this may also have to do with the fact that we don't quite have the technology to cure spinal cord injuries.

For Perry the trip to Destiny may have been a nice escape, but she may not have wanted to live there forever.

An illness confined Adrian Conrad to a wheelchair and after he was taken as a host was able to walk like an able bodied person.

FRAISER: Burchadts Syndrome. It's a condition that affects the immune system leaving the body vulnerable to a host of diseases. And there's no known cure.

perry was a quadriplegic.

THORAN(TOK'RA): Physical trauma is much more difficult to deal with than disease."
BAM!

pipi
May 10th, 2010, 02:13 AM
It's also possible that she may not want to be cured. Many people with disabilities tend to see the disability as an important part of who they are.

I don't know where you get your statistical data from but since I enjoy a good root, and ability to take a shower and clean myself, I would have to be insane to not have my quadraplegic cured.

jsonitsac
May 10th, 2010, 05:44 AM
I don't know where you get your statistical data from but since I enjoy a good root, and ability to take a shower and clean myself, I would have to be insane to not have my quadraplegic cured.

I'm just talking about some of my experience with people in the disability movement. I personally agree with you if it were myself.

yanna
May 10th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Somehow with all the Goa'uld that we have defeated we've never managed to get our hands on a sarcophagus. That always struck me as a plothole. However, I understand that it would cause major problems for the show if they could cure death just like that.

I'm surprised that even with alien tech available at the SGC, they haven't been able to help Amanda. Perhaps she really should join the Lucian Alliance and get a sarcophagus from them.

Eternal Density
May 10th, 2010, 04:44 PM
...the disability movement...I'm a horrible person for seeing a pun here.

Starsaber
May 10th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Somehow with all the Goa'uld that we have defeated we've never managed to get our hands on a sarcophagus. That always struck me as a plothole. However, I understand that it would cause major problems for the show if they could cure death just like that.

I'm surprised that even with alien tech available at the SGC, they haven't been able to help Amanda. Perhaps she really should join the Lucian Alliance and get a sarcophagus from them.

Considering the side effects of sarcophagus use SG-1 found pretty early on, I doubt the SGC would make sarcophagus research a priority.

jsonitsac
May 10th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Maybe Tau'ri medical technology has lagged behind other fields. Keep in mind the focus was on getting technologies to defend Earth, so we wound up with ships, weapons, energy generation, etc. The Sarcophagus has very negative side effects, the Tel'chak device creates zombies, and those Goa'uld hand healing devices can only be used by a host/somebody who joined with a goa'uld or tok'ra (more or less limiting it to Vala or Carter).

DetriusXii
May 10th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Maybe Tau'ri medical technology has lagged behind other fields. Keep in mind the focus was on getting technologies to defend Earth, so we wound up with ships, weapons, energy generation, etc. The Sarcophagus has very negative side effects, the Tel'chak device creates zombies, and those Goa'uld hand healing devices can only be used by a host/somebody who joined with a goa'uld or tok'ra (more or less limiting it to Vala or Carter).

The Sarcophagus has very negative side effects when used multiple times over a short time period. Daniel Jackson used the sarcophagus in the Serpent's Lair. It didn't make him into a megalomaniac then. Only when he overused it in Need did he start becoming rather self-absorbed.

Astrofighter
May 10th, 2010, 09:10 PM
face it, you are arguing over a plot hole

its clear the tech exists, its just not used in the show because it would be too easy and take away from all sorts of stories

jelgate
May 10th, 2010, 09:26 PM
face it, you are arguing over a plot hole

its clear the tech exists, its just not used in the show because it would be too easy and take away from all sorts of stories

I wish people would learn their terminology. The word is continuity error and even that is a stretch.

yanna
May 10th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Daniel Jackson used the sarcophagus in the Serpent's Lair.

And it wasn't even his first time. He also used it in the movie. Not to mention all those times O'Neill was put in it in Abyss and it didn't seem to have made him crazier. Yes, the side effects are there but we have seen proof that the sarcophagus takes a lot of time and repeated use to corrupt someone. Perry would be put just once.

I believe that sarcophagi should have been addressed after the fall of the Goa'uld and some explanation should be cooked up as to why we can't get one or even have an episode where we do get one and there's a huge issue regarding non-disclosure to use it.

escyos
May 10th, 2010, 10:17 PM
i doubt a sarcophagi would work, all info points to them causing the body to regenerate in the same way it normally would but much quicker, as an affect it would revive a dead person

if sarcophagi can heal her then that means that they could also bring someone who has been dead for 20 years back to life in pristine condition...

Trinary
May 11th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I think the Asgard cloning technology is a better solution. Asgard could life over an eon using cloned body. The only disadvantage is cannot reproduce. It would be sufficient enough for Perry getting out of disabilities. But there is side issue has yet known to us such as we never saw an Asgard using the communication stone. Would they able successfully switch their consciousness and back again to their cloned body?

Still, getting Perry permanently transfer to Destiny is like already found the solution getting people on Destiny back home.

garhkal
May 11th, 2010, 04:58 AM
And it wasn't even his first time. He also used it in the movie. Not to mention all those times O'Neill was put in it in Abyss and it didn't seem to have made him crazier. Yes, the side effects are there but we have seen proof that the sarcophagus takes a lot of time and repeated use to corrupt someone. Perry would be put just once.

I believe that sarcophagi should have been addressed after the fall of the Goa'uld and some explanation should be cooked up as to why we can't get one or even have an episode where we do get one and there's a huge issue regarding non-disclosure to use it.

IIRC wasn't it explained that repeated use when there is little need for it, is what corrupts. So daniel using it all the time in Need, when he has no injuries to warrant it's use is corrupted, while Jack who is constantly killed and resurrected is not corrupted as much.

RJLCyberPunk
May 11th, 2010, 04:29 PM

Agreed and I think that we have to differentiate between somebody that is deaf or even blind or somebody that just cannot walk but can otherwise use his or her arms instead or alternatively those that have lost their arms and use their legs for everything instead and those that cannot move a muscle on their own known as quadriplegics. I doubt you will find a quadriplegic that loves not being able to do anything on his on her own at all.

Astrofighter
May 11th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I wish people would learn their terminology. The word is continuity error and even that is a stretch.

How so? If you want to be more precise about it. In reality its a cannon hole, which is to say cannon is the overall story and "plot" of the the show, therefore a hole in pre-established plot is a hole. A continuity error would be something like a character walks out of a room with a shovel then in the next scene has no shovel, then in the scene after that magically has the shovel again...

droid327
May 11th, 2010, 11:25 PM
If a symbiote could cure whatever disease Adrian(?) had, I have to imagine it could cure the neurological damage that put Perry in her chair. Or a sarcophagus. Or a hand device. Or technology from the Asgard database. Or send her to the Nox. Or send her to Kheb. Or impregnate her skeleton with nanoscopic Replicator cells a la Wolverine to restore her mobility. Who knows.

Maybe the SGC just has a policy about "no miracle cures" for civvies, and they never told her about the healing technology they possess. How exactly would she explain that to her civilian doctors, or her friends and family? She just...got better?

escyos
May 12th, 2010, 04:06 AM
If a symbiote could cure whatever disease Adrian(?) had, I have to imagine it could cure the neurological damage that put Perry in her chair. Or a sarcophagus. Or a hand device. Or technology from the Asgard database. Or send her to the Nox. Or send her to Kheb. Or impregnate her skeleton with nanoscopic Replicator cells a la Wolverine to restore her mobility. Who knows.

Maybe the SGC just has a policy about "no miracle cures" for civvies, and they never told her about the healing technology they possess. How exactly would she explain that to her civilian doctors, or her friends and family? She just...got better?

a lot of her problems would stem from nerve damage in her spine, not neurological, so i doubt a symbiote can help, why would they even try.

pipi
May 12th, 2010, 05:47 AM

Probably. Perry is still able to perform her duties while in a wheel chair. Like all lazy employers, why give out a bonus if you don't have to. If Perry wanted to retire permanently for medical reasons then I'm sure if the SGC valued her talent they would offer to cure her provided she signs on for another 10 years or whatever.

jelgate
May 12th, 2010, 07:27 AM
How so? If you want to be more precise about it. In reality its a cannon hole, which is to say cannon is the overall story and "plot" of the the show, therefore a hole in pre-established plot is a hole. A continuity error would be something like a character walks out of a room with a shovel then in the next scene has no shovel, then in the scene after that magically has the shovel again...
A plot hole refers to a gap of how something happens in a single story. The original is talking about contradicting established cannon which is past continuity

gildor23
May 12th, 2010, 09:05 AM
So we can travel half the universe with a wormhole, but we cant cure this crippled broad? I'm not buying it. I am starting to agree with Sen Kinsey, all this money into a stargate program that is supposed to yield new tech and they cant heal one cripple? BS

RJLCyberPunk
May 12th, 2010, 07:31 PM
So we can travel half the universe with a wormhole, but we cant cure this crippled broad? I'm not buying it. I am starting to agree with Sen Kinsey, all this money into a stargate program that is supposed to yield new tech and they cant heal one cripple? BS

Most of the new tech is destined to weapons programs for planetary defense against hostile aliens and so on. The only ones able to heal her rather extreme condition in the Stargate universe would be a prior, the Orici or an ascended being.

gildor23
May 14th, 2010, 07:11 AM
So what about the sarcophagus? Also the ENTIRE repository of Asgard knowledge? No I dont think the Asgard learned how to repair spinal injuries. If the writers used the new tech to heal instead of hurt it would be better for the show than each new tech constantly changing the balance of power. They could introduce new healing tech each week and it wouldn't really effect the show that much in regards to the power struggle withthe bad guys.

gildor23
May 16th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I'm a horrible person for seeing a pun here.

LOL I am too it seems

Eestlanna
May 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM
How exactly would she explain that to her civilian doctors, or her friends and family? She just...got better?
Well, if those SGC guys figured out how to tell all the relatives of those on board of Destiny that they are somehow suddenly in another galaxy far, far away, I'm sure they'd figure that out as well.

garhkal
May 17th, 2010, 06:25 AM
There is a big dif there.
Those civilian relatives of the crew, were prob already cleared to know what was up. The civ docs of one of the crew's relatives are not.

Eestlanna
May 17th, 2010, 12:09 PM
There is a big dif there.
Those civilian relatives of the crew, were prob already cleared to know what was up. The civ docs of one of the crew's relatives are not.
Yes, well, I believe those relatives can take it just as easily as the other ones did. :)

garhkal
May 18th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Just cause they could take it does not mean they
A) have hte clearance to even know
B) have a need to know and
C) can be trusted. heck we don't even know if they would sign an NDA>

Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble
May 18th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Why does Perry get treatment just because she is close to the Stargate programme. I think we could heal her but that doesn't mean we should, what about all the other quadraplegics in the world it would be unfair to them that Perry gets cured just because she works with the SGC. I do admit though they have used healing technology in past on Daniel and others, so it's not above them.

Laxian of Earth
March 17th, 2019, 07:31 AM

Isn't it? Hell, Ra in the movie already states he likes our bodies because we are "so easy to repair" so I doubt that the Sarcophagus can't heal this!

Hell, even if it can't (and neither can the healing-clasp or tretonin (or hell, that fountain of youth drug of Linea - they can after all return the memories of people treated with it...hell, frankly they sadly didn't use it on the show because with that they could turn a lot of veteran soldiers young again and send them into fights (without having to train new soldiers, so they could have had more people without shuffling around a lot of people!))) then why not use a Tok'ra (they would surely accept the idea, especially if they still have problems finding hosts!)?

As for cloning: They have the damned Asgard-Legacy so they would be able to look up how to transfer consciousnesses to new bodies (unless the Asgard left that out so that humanity can't make the same mistake they made - but I find this unlikely! They would want us to know how it is done in case we have say terminally ill people or to combat a plague (mass clone healthy new bodies) etc. etc.)

So yeah, the very fact that she's disabled is kind of virtue signalling to me (it makes no god damn sense in the show, especially since nobody would read a disabled scientist - who can't go offworld etc. - into a top secret programm, not when there are healthy people! Unless of course they can (and will) heal her!)

Hell, the Asgard-Database itself might contain medicine that would fix her (with a matter-generator that can be created, just like Teal'c's Tretonin was in 'Unending')!

ps: And here I thought google didn't find the right stuff (I was just looking for any ideas why they left that scientist paralyzed!)

Laxian of Earth
March 17th, 2019, 07:37 AM
Why does Perry get treatment just because she is close to the Stargate programme. I think we could heal her but that doesn't mean we should, what about all the other quadraplegics in the world it would be unfair to them that Perry gets cured just because she works with the SGC. I do admit though they have used healing technology in past on Daniel and others, so it's not above them.

Seriously, this old argument?

Firstly: Earth has enemies out there and we need all hands on deck to fight them - especially brilliant scientists who can help us figure things out! - so it is kind of ok that they get to call dibs on healing tech (at least for a while!), especially since it's better for the other people if their protectors are in the best possible condition!

Secondly: You got to start somewhere (I doubt they will keep all those advances! Hell, they would probably already have patented most of it to finance continued stargate operations! Hell, I doubt they could keep the lid on stuff like this fountain of youth thing and tretonin! Come on everybody who knows about this stuff would want to use it on themselves IMHO!), so treat those people close to the programm first (look for side-effects etc.) and then spread the technology to the rest of the people!