PDA

View Full Version : The episode reminded me a bit of the movie Avatar.

RJLCyberPunk
May 8th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Was I the only one that had a Deja vu moment when Mandy found herself in Camille Wray's body and looked at her hands being able to move on her own after decades of being confined to a chair and to breathe through a tube. It reminded me a lot of the scene in the movie Avatar where Jake wakes up for the first time in his Avatar body and stands up and runs as he for the first time since he was crippled was able to stand, walk and run on his own.

Stranded
May 8th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I didn't make the connection but yes... now that you say that it definitely is similar in some ways to Avatar.

Will she return under the guise of needing to help the Destiny crew again, then run off and help the ship repel the evil human invaders from it's deck? ;)

MattSilver 3k
May 8th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I think SGU came first, but then again I've never seen Avatar so I can't be sure if the scenes are similar or not.

spinny magee
May 8th, 2010, 10:22 PM
If it had included a blue alien in that scene.....maybe

RJLCyberPunk
May 8th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I didn't make the connection but yes... now that you say that it definitely is similar in some ways to Avatar.

Will she return under the guise of needing to help the Destiny crew again, then run off and help the ship repel the evil human invaders from it's deck? ;)

Evil Human invaders? WT? :confused: Oh! I see what you did. :mckay:

Not all or even most humans in the movie where evil. The miners were not evil for example.

If it had included a blue alien in that scene.....maybe

You missed the point about quite a few miles back as being handicapped and all of sudden not being handicapped at all, has nothing to do with Aliens blue or otherwise... :rolleyes:

carmencatalina
May 9th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I'm sure you meant BSG. Because everything reminds us of BSG.

major davis
May 9th, 2010, 04:32 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to carmencatalina again.

Honestly this is getting old now.

Commander Zelix
May 9th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I made the same remark during the episode Space. The way the stones are able to transfer consciousness in another body resemble Avatar. When I saw Young in the Alien's body walking around among the other aliens on the vessels I had some Avatar flashback. But obviously there's some differences. In Avatar you would transfer into a genetically grown and adapted for you empty body, while in SGU you switch consciousness with another 'already alive' being. But both did permit to sneak up on each other species. And in Avatar and SGU they allowed a disabled person to walk and move again.

Eye-pod
May 9th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I was watching Avatar and SGU today and didn't make that connection but now you mention it yeah it does remind me of it.

Just thought of something too: What is it with blue aliens? I know it's only SGU and Avatar but still.

Lord Hurin
May 9th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Yeah, this scene was reminiscent of "Avatar." It was one of my favourite scenes in that film as well, the smile on Sully's face was just so... mischievously wonderous. The woman playing Perry in SGU did an excellent job as well. She did everything with an almost childlike sense of wonder. A poignant reminder of how good we have it (the use of all four limbs, etc) and how we take it for granted.

Commander Zelix
May 9th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Yeah, this scene was reminiscent of "Avatar." It was one of my favourite scenes in that film as well, the smile on Sully's face was just so... mischievously wonderous. The woman playing Perry in SGU did an excellent job as well. She did everything with an almost childlike sense of wonder. A poignant reminder of how good we have it (the use of all four limbs, etc) and how we take it for granted.
The scene in Avatar when he stand up in the lab and run around foot naked in the soil was nice too.

Lord Hurin
May 9th, 2010, 05:05 PM
The scene in Avatar when he stand up in the lab and run around foot naked in the soil was nice too.

Hehe, I loved when he was smacking things around with his tail, then turned and realized "crap, I have a TAIL!" :D

Commander Zelix
May 9th, 2010, 05:05 PM
hehe, i loved when he was smacking things around with his tail, then turned and realized "crap, i have a tail!" :d
lol

Puddle-Jumper
May 9th, 2010, 05:27 PM
This thread kinda makes me want to go watch Avatar... *rushs off*

Briangate78
May 9th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Was I the only one that had a Deja vu moment when Mandy found herself in Camille Wray's body and looked at her hands being able to move on her own after decades of being confined to a chair and to breathe through a tube. It reminded me a lot of the scene in the movie Avatar where Jake wakes up for the first time in his Avatar body and stands up and runs as he for the first time since he was crippled was able to stand, walk and run on his own.

I got that impression also,

LOL!

Phenom
May 9th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I think SGU came first, but then again I've never seen Avatar so I can't be sure if the scenes are similar or not.

I was wondering who the only person on the planet was who hasn't seen it. I didn't think you really existed but here you are in flesh and blood (sort of)

escyos
May 9th, 2010, 08:20 PM
i woudlnt know, i havent seen avatar...dont really want to, it looks gay

Phenom
May 9th, 2010, 08:45 PM
i woudlnt know, i havent seen avatar...dont really want to, it looks gay

Surely you are not calling something gay to describe that it is bad. Thats very juvenile and likely offensive to a lot of people.

escyos
May 10th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Surely you are not calling something gay to describe that it is bad. Thats very juvenile and likely offensive to a lot of people.

its a new world, gay is a synonym for bad. people should get over it

RJLCyberPunk
May 10th, 2010, 11:39 AM
its a new world, gay is a synonym for bad. people should get over it

How about you get over yourself, because you have not even seen it and you are saying that something you have not seen stinks when over 99.99 % of the people worldwide say the contrary, that should be a hint that you are most likely wrong about your assessment, that in combination that you have not even seen it to make such a judgment call. :mckay:

escyos
May 10th, 2010, 11:58 AM
How about you get over yourself, because you have not even seen it and you are saying that something you have not seen stinks when over 99.99 % of the people worldwide say the contrary, that should be a hint that you are most likely wrong about your assessment, that in combination that you have not even seen it to make such a judgment call. :mckay:

if i did see it, chances are i would think its an ok movie. but its been hyped up so much that i dont want to see it. Ergo its gay : )

RJLCyberPunk
May 10th, 2010, 01:39 PM
if i did see it, chances are i would think its an ok movie. but its been hyped up so much that i dont want to see it. Ergo its gay : )

So if there is a movie that just about everybody in the world likes = Gay = You fail at logic.

Eternal Density
May 10th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Honestly this is getting old now.carmencatalina rep'd for you.

Oh and you can add me to the list of "haven't seen Avatar". I don't need to (http://creation.com/avatar-movie-review).
its a new world, gay is a synonym for bad. people should get over itIn England you could be arrested for that...

escyos
May 10th, 2010, 04:52 PM
So if there is a movie that just about everybody in the world likes = Gay = You fail at logic.

WHAT i said was that a movie that is hyped up so much and everyone bangs on about is most likely going to be a mediocre movie in my eyes....and DONT insult me or i will report you.

carmencatalina rep'd for you.

Oh and you can add me to the list of "haven't seen Avatar". I don't need to (http://creation.com/avatar-movie-review).In England you could be arrested for that...

good thing im not in england then

im sure happy 18th century people woul dbe insulted at being called homosexual when called 'gay'

Phenom
May 10th, 2010, 06:08 PM
WHAT i said was that a movie that is hyped up so much and everyone bangs on about is most likely going to be a mediocre movie in my eyes....and DONT insult me or i will report you.

good thing im not in england then

im sure happy 18th century people woul dbe insulted at being called homosexual when called 'gay'

You have lost the plot mate. One day you are going to be severely beaten in the real world if you keep up that sort of attitude. Lets just hope you are only being tough behind your computer screen.

escyos
May 10th, 2010, 06:29 PM
You have lost the plot mate. One day you are going to be severely beaten in the real world if you keep up that sort of attitude. Lets just hope you are only being tough behind your computer screen.

what attitude?
it seems these days that if i mention my opinion on a controversial topic, everyone goes off at me....im sorry, i thought people were allowed freedom of speech.

Sela
May 10th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I was wondering who the only person on the planet was who hasn't seen it. I didn't think you really existed but here you are in flesh and blood (sort of)
I've never seen Avatar. :cameron: There are a lot of us out here...in the real world.

RJLCyberPunk
May 10th, 2010, 07:07 PM
what attitude?
it seems these days that if i mention my opinion on a controversial topic, everyone goes off at me....im sorry, i thought people were allowed freedom of speech.

That's rich coming from somebody that for anything thrown his way goes like this:

WHAT i said was that a movie that is hyped up so much and everyone bangs on about is most likely going to be a mediocre movie in my eyes....and DONT insult me or i will report you.'

So Freedom of Speech for you means you alone being able to mouth off and insult whomever, whenever you want while everybody else has to shut up or else they will be reported. That's not freedom of speech at all that's fascism just FYI.:mckay:

Phenom
May 10th, 2010, 07:29 PM
what attitude?

What controversial topic have you raised? I don't mind that you don't like the movie Avatar if that is what you mean. I was simply pointing out that there are a lot of words you could have used to show your dislike that wouldn't cause offence to a large number of people. I was also pointing out that if you were to use that language in public, then you would likely get yourself in a bit of trouble.

And no, the freedom of speech thing doesn't cut it in this one. You can't use that card just so you can go open slather on whoever you like. Think of it this way, you may use that term under the anonymity of the internet, but would you use it in a university paper where your real name is attached and in which your peers and potential employers would be able to access? If you answer yes then you are in more trouble than I thought.

escyos
May 10th, 2010, 09:51 PM
That's rich coming from somebody that for anything thrown his way goes like this:

So Freedom of Speech for you means you alone being able to mouth off and insult whomever, whenever you want while everybody else has to shut up or else they will be reported. That's not freedom of speech at all that's fascism just FYI.:mckay:

its forum rules, freedom of speech does not apply in such a situation

escyos
May 10th, 2010, 09:53 PM
What controversial topic have you raised? I don't mind that you don't like the movie Avatar if that is what you mean. I was simply pointing out that there are a lot of words you could have used to show your dislike that wouldn't cause offence to a large number of people. I was also pointing out that if you were to use that language in public, then you would likely get yourself in a bit of trouble.

And no, the freedom of speech thing doesn't cut it in this one. You can't use that card just so you can go open slather on whoever you like. Think of it this way, you may use that term under the anonymity of the internet, but would you use it in a university paper where your real name is attached and in which your peers and potential employers would be able to access? If you answer yes then you are in more trouble than I thought.

i was discussing semantics, not attacking people.

i am no longer going to reply to this thread, but will report it if i see myself being slandered again

RJLCyberPunk
May 11th, 2010, 12:02 AM
@ escyos:

1. First of all as others have correctly pointed out you have not raised any controversial topics whatsoever.

2. You can go and complain to the president of the United States for all we care and I would highly recommend not ever post anywhere on the internet again until you grow a hide. Those that have glass roofs should never throw stones.

Phenom
May 11th, 2010, 08:11 PM
i was discussing semantics, not attacking people.

i am no longer going to reply to this thread, but will report it if i see myself being slandered again

Kind of sounds like running to the teacher after you started a fight you can't win.

Lord Hurin
May 12th, 2010, 02:45 PM
its forum rules, freedom of speech does not apply in such a situation

But implying that gay= bad is perfectly acceptable? I think most homosexual people would be a little offended.

Replicator Todd
May 12th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Maybe thats why I disliked parts of this episode, it was like Avatar. :mckay: Ewwww....

DarkAsgard
May 13th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I don't see the comparison, its like saying Quantum Leap is like Avatar. Body Swapping aside, main differences between SGU and Avatar fall under one category; aliens. Avatar has loads of them while SGU is lacking aliens considerably.

Lord Hurin
May 13th, 2010, 03:00 PM
its like saying Quantum Leap is like Avatar.

Oh boy... ;)

RJLCyberPunk
May 13th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Maybe thats why I disliked parts of this episode, it was like Avatar. :mckay: Ewwww....

May I ask what you did not like about Avatar if even saw it that is?

I don't see the comparison, its like saying Quantum Leap is like Avatar. Body Swapping aside, main differences between SGU and Avatar fall under one category; aliens. Avatar has loads of them while SGU is lacking aliens considerably.

Good grief! The only reason I made the comparison is because like in that movie you have somebody who is a crippled inhabiting a fully able body for a while at least. Jake got it better because he ended in a fully able body alien or not is besides the point.

ProfessorSnape
May 13th, 2010, 03:44 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhh, someone likes his avatar! It's like a kid - "it'sssssssssssssssss not gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy rararararara wah wah wah"

RJLCyberPunk
May 13th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhh, someone likes his avatar! It's like a kid - "it'sssssssssssssssss not gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy rararararara wah wah wah"

Gay is a word I would not use for this instance and that's for starters. Second of all the guy had not even seen the movie, so his argument that it sucks when he cannot possibly make such a judgment is a crock to begin with, need I go on?

carmencatalina
May 14th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Can we discuss the relative merits of the movie "Avatar" and its resemblance or lack thereof to the episode "Sabotage" without resorting to bigoted comments? Seriously, I'm pretty sure that's against the rules, and you can make your point ever so well without needing to do so.

Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble
May 19th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Also I think we use a term other than 'crippled' it sounds so old fashioned and is just not a good word to discribe a parapleigic or a wheelchair user.