PDA

View Full Version : The Bar

DigiFluid
May 7th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Was that just the mess lit differently, or does the tables + large number of booze cups mean they've opened up a separate bar now? I'm going to go with bar :D

So, what are we going to call Brody's bar?

s09119
May 7th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Was that just the mess lit differently, or does the tables + large number of booze cups mean they've opened up a separate bar now? I'm going to go with bar :D

Brody's

:D

MattSilver 3k
May 7th, 2010, 11:03 PM
I think the important question is whether or not we're going to install stripper poles and put Chloe to wor-

*cough* Hmm... we'll need a name that both conveys power and carefree nature of drinking from Brody's still...

Depends on its use, actually. If it's used in scenes of rambunctious laughter and carefreeness, Cheers or something along those lines will work. If it's used in scenes of darkness and angst, then it's Brody's Broody Bar.

PG15
May 7th, 2010, 11:09 PM
The Bar at the End of the Universe.

DigiFluid
May 7th, 2010, 11:13 PM
If it's used in scenes of darkness and angst, then it's Brody's Broody Bar.

The Bar at the End of Universe.
Oh, awesome!

Cape
May 7th, 2010, 11:25 PM
What i really really loved about this episode is that is show the peak of human resilience and ingenuity and that no matter what circumastances the human race is in, we will always find a way to drunk our problems away. Just makes me proud :)

pipi
May 7th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Whatever happen to rationing for the long journey? If anything I thought that distiller was a urine recycler.

JustAnotherVoice
May 8th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Whatever happen to rationing for the long journey? If anything I thought that distiller was a urine recycler.

They've got to do something with those "sweet potatoes" they nobody wanted to eat, right?

haloplayer
May 8th, 2010, 01:43 AM
They also need some sort of band....

And when Eli walks in the black chef (the cook dude) says......"we don't serve your kind here"

escyos
May 8th, 2010, 02:30 AM
woooo BOOZE!!!!

i knew they would start up a bar sooner or later...i had a thread on it.

im not suprised anyone cares about water wastage....theres BOOZE!

Pharaoh Atem
May 8th, 2010, 04:10 AM

joe's bar.

meo3000
May 8th, 2010, 04:24 AM
The Watering Blackhole

escyos
May 8th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Foul Tasting Liquor?

JustAnotherVoice
May 8th, 2010, 04:53 AM
woooo BOOZE!!!!

i knew they would start up a bar sooner or later...i had a thread on it.

im not suprised anyone cares about water wastage....theres BOOZE!

How much water could they possibly waste on it? All the water would be reclaimed eventually, either as water vapour (from the distillation process. They've got to have some sort of dehumidification system on board, otherwise a ship like that could get awfully uncomfortable in a hurry) or through the waste management system.

garhkal
May 8th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Na. They need to name it "Cheers" Where everyone knows your name!!

Pharaoh Atem
May 8th, 2010, 05:06 AM

i'll laugh if eli makes a reference to that

Outlast
May 8th, 2010, 05:06 AM
I vote for this one!

It did seem like a waste of the ship's limited resources to distill alcohol, but it was a fun addition to the show just the same. Got Rush a kiss if nothing else. :D

garhkal
May 8th, 2010, 06:07 AM
I doub't he would as A) it is not sci-fi, and B) he is not old enough to remember it. heck i rarely see reruns on channels these days, and the last one i remember was from back in 98...

jelgate
May 8th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Foul Tasting Liquor?

That seems like a bad ad campaign for Brody's booze.

Gollumpus
May 8th, 2010, 07:58 AM

Hmm, so who would be which character?

Sam Malone - Col. Young
Diane Chambers - TJ?
Rebecca Howe - Camille
Carla Tortelli - Riley?
"Woody" Boyd
Norm Peterson
Cliff Clavin
Frasier Crane
Ernie "Coach" Pantusso
Lilith Sternin
John Allen Hill - Telford

regards,
G.

randomking
May 8th, 2010, 09:55 AM
What i really really loved about this episode is that is show the peak of human resilience and ingenuity and that no matter what circumastances the human race is in, we will always find a way to drunk our problems away. Just makes me proud :)

its tru ....we need alcohol to live :)....but really there are so Meany medical use's for hard liker its not even funny..and i think ...atho i could be horibly wrong that there is a gunpowder recipe that calls for alcohol ... and if syfy plans on keeping them cut of from sgc for some time yet they will have to exsplan ammo (seeing as how they shot at bugs and ice...)

fmbchris
May 8th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Brody will have to deal with his alcoholism in a later episode I bet.

MattSilver 3k
May 8th, 2010, 11:02 AM
An SGU intervention - I like it!

They gather to talk about Brody's alcoholism, but get mixed up:
"Hey, I thought we were here for Park's sex addiction?"

"What about Young's trusting issues?"

"What about Rush's manipulatively Scottish tendencies?"

"Hey - Eli. Kinos. Dude, seriously, the male showers?"

"TJ, don't you agree that Young doesn't plan ahead? Come on, just look at your stomach!"

"Okay Chloe... now we all love you. A little too much, but still. But you need to do your assigned duties. I know that cleaning toilets isn't the most glamourous of jobs..."

"Scott, we all love you... well, all the females do. You and Park have one thing in common, and what is that? I think you know!"

"Sgt. Greer, stop growling at the civilians that approach your personal bubble..."

And so on.

thekillman
May 8th, 2010, 11:17 AM
"hello everybody. my name is adam brody. i'm an alcoholic. i even invented a distilling device"
*everyone*
"hello adam"
*Scott stands up*
"i am matthew scott, hello everybody, i am a sex addict"
*everybody*
"hello matthew"
*Eli stands up*
"will the real slim shady please stand up? "
*nobody laughs*
"my name is eli wallace, and i have a bad joke problem"
*silence*

shall i continue?

*Chloe stands up*
"hello, my name is chloe scott... eh armstrong, and i have a uselessness problem."
*everyone*
"hello chloe"

ad infinitum

Kentucky
May 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Foul Tasting Liquor?

I support this name for the distilled spirit.

Brody's

Good name for the bar. It's simple and reminds one of that good ol down home neighborhood watering hole.

I think what this episode has shown us is that no matter how dark and desperate the circumstances, mankind will rise above to find a way to get its drink on. Couldn't help but think of Steve McQueen's character in The Great Escape and the liquor they made in a World War II German prison camp.

Caritas
May 8th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Couldn't help but think of Steve McQueen's character in The Great Escape and the liquor they made in a World War II German prison camp.

I was actually thinking that too. The three Americans getting the camp full of Brits to celebrate the 4th of July with them was hilarious. Alcohol binds us all together.

What I found kind of interesting was how out in the open Brody's 'bar' seemed to be. In other shows (BSG, for example) they always start out trying to hide it from people.

Commander Zelix
May 8th, 2010, 12:29 PM
They should call the bar: "Let's Get Drunk While In the Middle Of the Most Precarious Scientific Repair". The LGDWIMOMS bar. :rolleyes:

Larry The Chevron Guy
May 8th, 2010, 12:41 PM
What to call it???

I propose...

Wait for it...

BARGATE SG-1 :jack_new_anime06:

MattSilver 3k
May 8th, 2010, 12:49 PM

Get. Out.

:P

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 8th, 2010, 01:49 PM
oh that is GOOD!

What i really really loved about this episode is that is show the peak of human resilience and ingenuity and that no matter what circumastances the human race is in, we will always find a way to drunk our problems away. Just makes me proud :)if you can get a drink, stuff isn't that bad :) I'm a huge MASH fan too, so I get the still and the need to drink, or at least for the company it brings and the ability to 1)get away from it all and 2) get together with everyone else getting away from it all.

"TJ, don't you agree that Young doesn't plan ahead? Come on, just look at your stomach!"
....laughed right out loud at that, nice!

What to call it???

I propose...

Wait for it...

Larry, that was awesome :D

lordofseas
May 8th, 2010, 01:54 PM
An SGU intervention - I like it!

They gather to talk about Brody's alcoholism, but get mixed up:
"Hey, I thought we were here for Park's sex addiction?"

"What about Young's trusting issues?"

"What about Rush's manipulatively Scottish tendencies?"

"Hey - Eli. Kinos. Dude, seriously, the male showers?"

"Okay Chloe... now we all love you. A little too much, but still. But you need to do your assigned duties. I know that cleaning toilets isn't the most glamourous of jobs..."

"Scott, we all love you... well, all the females do. You and Park have one thing in common, and what is that? I think you know!"

"Sgt. Greer, stop growling at the civilians that approach your personal bubble..."

And so on.

Green-ed for making me amused. :D

hisg1fans
May 8th, 2010, 02:31 PM
What to call it???

I propose...

Wait for it...

Hilarious!!!

Cape
May 8th, 2010, 03:29 PM
"hello everybody. my name is adam brody. i'm an alcoholic. i even invented a distilling device"
*everyone*
"hello adam"
*Scott stands up*
"i am matthew scott, hello everybody, i am a sex addict"
*everybody*
"hello matthew"
*Eli stands up*
"will the real slim shady please stand up? "
*nobody laughs*
"my name is eli wallace, and i have a bad joke problem"
*silence*

shall i continue?

*Chloe stands up*
"hello, my name is chloe scott... eh armstrong, and i have a uselessness problem."
*everyone*
"hello chloe"

ad infinitum

If what Scott's done so far in the show makes him a "sex addict" then i think 95% of the university students in the world need to check themselves into rehab

hiro
May 8th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I think the important question is whether or not we're going to install stripper poles and put Chloe to wor-

*cough* Hmm... we'll need a name that both conveys power and carefree nature of drinking from Brody's still...

:lol:

I'm up for that ! :)

*Chloe stands up*
*everyone*
"hello chloe"
ad infinitum

:lol: a lot

What to call it???

I propose...

Wait for it...

epic win

If what Scott's done so far in the show makes him a "sex addict" then i think 95% of the university students in the world need to check themselves into rehab

agreed!

its simply amazing with all the problems they have and they find time to build a bar!!

Kaeb
May 8th, 2010, 06:44 PM
The Cantina.

_SocraticMethod
May 8th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I think what this episode has shown us is that no matter how dark and desperate the circumstances, mankind will rise above to find a way to get its drink on. Couldn't help but think of Steve McQueen's character in The Great Escape and the liquor they made in a World War II German prison camp.

Oh, I never thought of that, but now that you mention it! The first thing that came to my mind was Hawkeye Pierce and Trapper John from M*A*S*H... i.e. the still they had in The Swamp. :P

Tuvok
May 8th, 2010, 07:47 PM

Oh , I think I have a tear in my eye.

Humans, you may shoot at us. Dump as at the arse end of the Verse. But somehow, some way. WE WILL GET OUR DRINK ON.

The Human Spirit(s) is a beautiful thing.

;)

pipi
May 9th, 2010, 12:01 AM
How much water could they possibly waste on it? All the water would be reclaimed eventually, either as water vapour (from the distillation process. They've got to have some sort of dehumidification system on board, otherwise a ship like that could get awfully uncomfortable in a hurry) or through the waste management system.

I don't think Destiny recycles water like BSG, their drinkable water supply is running out otherwise they wouldn't need to bring jerry cans to get water offworld.

Darkside_Six
May 9th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Ten backward?

You know, cos the ships old and dark.

Kentucky
May 9th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Ten backward?

You know, cos the ships old and dark.

No

http://sinigami.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/picard-facepalm2.jpg

Dii-Reno
May 9th, 2010, 11:13 PM
That bar just screams "Goodtimes."

Lt. Jeffer
May 10th, 2010, 05:29 AM
here is an picture of the bar from joe mallozzis blog
http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/img_4034.jpg

xxxevilgrinxxx
May 10th, 2010, 06:28 AM

I like that, thanks!

escyos
May 10th, 2010, 08:18 AM

haha, I LOVE IT! i wonder if they will put up a sign

beafly
May 10th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Well...

They have enough sugar or starch to waste on alcohol production, we can safely assume that their food problems are pretty much done.

I vote for "Brody's". Has a nice ring to it.

I'm also in favor of installing a fireman's pole from the deck above the bar. Just in case someone needs to get down to Brody's quickly, or something.

dacooker
May 10th, 2010, 08:44 AM
In honor of Franklin saving their asses, Brody has named it 'Fatties'!

JustAnotherVoice
May 10th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I'm also in favor of installing a fireman's pole from the deck above the bar. Just in case someone needs to get down to Brody's quickly, or something.

Think about that for a second.

A fireman's pole, a 1 floor drop AND alcohol. What part of that sounds like a good idea?

beafly
May 10th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Think about that for a second.

A fireman's pole, a 1 floor drop AND alcohol. What part of that sounds like a good idea?

You're right. We should prohibit use of the pole to anyone with a blood alcohol content above some arbitrary number. I'm sure we could find some other use for it.

pipi
May 10th, 2010, 06:15 PM
The blue aliens are good at cutting holes. Maybe they should ask them for help? :)

escyos
May 10th, 2010, 10:19 PM
they should be able to make banana cocktails on board now!

bradly08
May 12th, 2010, 10:12 AM
A bar on a giant space ship, sounds like my kind of place! :lol:

EvilSpaceAlien
May 12th, 2010, 10:17 AM
In honor of Franklin saving their asses, Brody has named it 'Fatties'!

Y'know, you constantly calling Franklin "the fat guy", or different variations, is getting really tiresome. :mckay:

The Mighty 6 platoon
May 12th, 2010, 11:39 AM
You're right. We should prohibit use of the pole to anyone with a blood alcohol content above some arbitrary number. I'm sure we could find some other use for it.

I can think of a few, and Chloe would have a new role on the ship. :D

jelgate
May 12th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Y'know, you constantly calling Franklin "the fat guy", or different variations, is getting really tiresome. :mckay:

You know thier are interesting studies that say constant mocking of a certain attribute are used to cover up the person's insecurities of that attribute.

SG7
May 12th, 2010, 06:08 PM

ROFLMAO!!!

Oh love that one! Would add for another Hitchikers reference!

Or we could name it "Galaxy Bar".

Though I do like "Brody's" the best. And the slogan for the bar "Where the drinks are out of this world!"

SG7
May 12th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Oh, I never thought of that, but now that you mention it! The first thing that came to my mind was Hawkeye Pierce and Trapper John from M*A*S*H... i.e. the still they had in The Swamp. :P

You know my dad and I watched the episode on Saturday nite and when we saw that the first things out of both our mouths was Hawkeye would be proud. And we said it at exactly the same time and then looked at each other. Said are we that alike or what? And just laughed hysterically for about five minutes! :)

Needless to say I am proudly converting one person to SGU! (After Atlantis's epic "fail' on wrapping up the series he was almost dead set against watching SGU till he knew they would not do the same to it that they did to Atlantis).

And I agree that naming it "Brody's" seems most fitting. I hope that TPTB do too!

SG7
May 12th, 2010, 06:23 PM

Saw that a couple of days ago and almost got misty. Loved the design. Very impressive!

I for one when I saw them hanging around Brody's still, enjoyed that scene very much. In the midst of all the troubles that they are facing on the ship, someone managed to find a way to make some "spirits". And bring the people on the ship together to unwind. Very nicely done. And I for one would love to see more scenes like that as it adds a lighter element to an otherwise dark and gloomy ship. And hopefully make Brody a regular supporting cast member who when not called to do important tasks on board the Destiny, will work as the bar tender. If they do that, then they have definately gone up one more notch in my books.

I can just see it just after TJ has her baby. Young goes down to "Brody's" and toasts a round of drinks to everyone in celebration!

pipi
May 13th, 2010, 05:12 PM

Won't be the same when no one got any one dollar bills. :)

jelgate
May 13th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Won't be the same when no one got any one dollar bills. :)

We can use food rations

SG7
May 13th, 2010, 07:24 PM
we can use food rations

lol!

Pharaoh Atem
May 13th, 2010, 07:25 PM
We can use food rations

half the crew starves to death :P

Cory Holmes
May 13th, 2010, 07:52 PM
half the crew starves to death :P

Yeah, but what a way to go! :D

pipi
May 13th, 2010, 08:53 PM
We can use food rations

So she's gonna be covered in food gooe after each performance :D

jelgate
May 13th, 2010, 09:04 PM

Whats your point?

Pharaoh Atem
May 13th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Whats your point?

you can fulfill your dream and clean up chloe via the showers

EllieVee
May 13th, 2010, 10:11 PM
We can use food rations

White gloop will suddenly become popular for reasons that have nothing to do with food.

SG7
May 14th, 2010, 04:26 AM

Yeh that greenish yellow paste that they were eating in the first couple episodes or so.

pipi
May 14th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Yeh that greenish yellow paste that they were eating in the first couple episodes or so.

She'll love it, it's just like that face mask stuff chics put on after a facial scrub with the cucumber cuts. :D Good for the skin.

JustAnotherVoice
May 14th, 2010, 06:15 AM
So the WAM fans come out of the woodwork...

mjwalshe
May 14th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I was actually thinking that too. The three Americans getting the camp full of Brits to celebrate the 4th of July with them was hilarious. Alcohol binds us all together.

What I found kind of interesting was how out in the open Brody's 'bar' seemed to be. In other shows (BSG, for example) they always start out trying to hide it from people.

well maybe theres non US personel on destiny - though technicaly all USN ships are dry - which acording to a mate who used to work in a bar in portsmouth ment that saliors and marines on a run ashore had no head for drink having been dry for so long - and would ask for a pint of the strongest local bitter and the rest of the bar would take bets as to wether they would make it to the door.