PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Planet of the Apes - News/Discussion/Speculation

Madwelshboy
May 7th, 2010, 02:38 AM
'Planet of the Apes' prequel set for June

The prequel to Planet of the Apes has been confirmed for release next summer. According to Entertainment Weekly, Rise of the Apes will be in US theatres on June 24, 2011.

20th Century Fox will partner with WETA Digital to employ groundbreaking technologies to render photo-realistic apes rather than costumed actors.

The plot will be set in present-day San Francisco where Man's experiments with genetic engineering lead to the development of intelligence of apes and the onset of a war for supremacy.

Rupert Wyatt (The Escapist) will direct from a screenplay by Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a218641/planet-of-the-apes-prequel-set-for-june.html

DigiFluid
May 7th, 2010, 02:44 AM
How absurd. We already know how apes came to be speaking: predestination paradox.

Still though, as long as it ignores the Tim Burton abortion of a remake, I'll probably check it out.

SaberBlade
May 7th, 2010, 04:31 AM
The fact Tim Burton couldn't restart the Apes series doesn't give me much hope for anyone else taking it on. In fact, I think the further along the Apes series got, the more it went down hill.

DigiFluid
May 7th, 2010, 04:35 AM
The fact Tim Burton couldn't restart the Apes series doesn't give me much hope for anyone else taking it on.
I think there's a couple factors at play there. First of all, the original PotA is a cinematic work of art. It doesn't matter how hard anyone tries, they aren't going to dethrone it. Secondly, Tim Burton's remake is about the time that I realized he's an overrated hack and that handing it to him was a mistake in the first place. Stick to over-the-top visuals and casting Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter in everything you do, Tim, it seems to be the only thing you're good at.

In fact, I think the further along the Apes series got, the more it went down hill.
Can't argue with that, I'm afraid. The 'into the past' final three Apes movies were progressively lower budget and more crappy. The second movie, Beneath, wasn't bad, but then it wasn't as good as the first either. So it still fits the downward slope paradigm lol

Replicator Todd
May 7th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Well, I'd rather liked the way Burton's PotA ended, I think that would of been fun to have more files in a similar setting. But the rest of Burton's film was......meh. And I usually love Tim Burton.

And this prequel sounds like another CGI-fest.

Captain Yesterday
May 7th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Loooooved the original Planet of the apes, hated the terrible, terrible remake. I like to think i'm open minded so I'll give this prequel a chance, it could be good (he says in hope)

Well, I'd rather liked the way Burton's PotA ended, I think that would of been fun to have more files in a similar setting.
To this day nobody has been able to explain that ending to me with any sense.

SaberBlade
May 8th, 2010, 06:33 AM
I rather enjoyed the Burton ending. I don't expect anyone to understand it, but cheap excuse for a sequel.

There is nothing that could be done to ever top "You maniacs, you blew it up, ******* you all to hell!" in any Apes movie, even if a remake was done using the exact same ending, it would still seem awful compared to the original. However landing on Earth, and having everything the same but with Apes was a nice twist. That's why I was disappointed Burton's movie never got a sequel, especially when you consider how much it made. I'd just want an explanation.

Stick to over-the-top visuals and casting Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter in everything you do, Tim, it seems to be the only thing you're good at.

If he had did that with his Apes movie, it may have been better received.

the fifth man
May 9th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I want to see a preview first, but I will most likely check this movie out.

magictrick
May 9th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I liked the original but didn't see any of the sequels and I'm not inclined to either as the consensus is that they weren't good. I also didn't mind Tim Burton's remake, it was entertaining and I took it for what it was worth.

I don't have high hopes for this prequel, but I could be wrong. The great thing about the first one was its originality. It put a totally new spin on things and it made for a very imaginative movie. Now we know the twist and there have been loads of movies, so I'm not sure where else they can go with this, especially if its a prequel.

Angela V
May 10th, 2010, 10:13 PM
"The plot will be set in present-day San Francisco where Man's experiments with genetic engineering lead to the development of intelligence of apes and the onset of a war for supremacy."

It's kind of hard to have a prequel with the ending that given in the new POTA. Guess they are just going to ignore the main character went back in time to find that Apes ruled Earth. I have all the original Ape movies and if I remember correctly 2 of the Apes ended up traveling back in time for the 3rd movie and the female was pregnant. Her baby survived into the 4th movie which is where the upraising happened. So it was their traveling back in time that sent in motion the upraising of Ape slaves not genetic engineering. If the studio wants to go in a totally different direction why don't they just call it their own creation inspired by POTA movies?:P

Madwelshboy
May 21st, 2010, 01:36 PM
James Franco to star in Planet of the Apes prequel

James Franco has landed the lead role in Rise of the Apes, Fox's upcoming reboot of/prequel to the Planet of the Apes franchise, according to Deadline. The actor will play a scientist whose search for a cure to Alzheimer's disease inadvertently produces advanced intelligence in an ape test subject. Franco's character thus sets in motion the chain of events that will eventually lead to an ape revolution, although how much of that we'll see onscreen is unclear at this point.

http://scifiwire.com/2010/05/green-goblins-son-to-take.php

the fifth man
May 30th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I do like James Franco. This could be interesting.

DigiFluid
August 21st, 2010, 12:36 AM
Word is that this has been retitled to Caesar (source (http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=17303&count=0)), and is looking more and more like a remake of the original franchise sequel Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. This is sounding less and less promising =\

Thunderstorm
August 21st, 2010, 12:54 AM
Word is that this has been retitled to Caesar (source (http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=17303&count=0)), and is looking more and more like a remake of the original franchise sequel Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. This is sounding less and less promising =\

That's my favorite of the sequels however the description sounds like they are re-writing the history and not for the better. Making Caesar being able to talk a genetic manipulation instead of son of the apes from the future. I had hight hopes but now I'm wondering if the people making this watched the Tim Burton version (pardon me while I go wash out my brain with soap) and are making a sequel to that as opposed the brilliant original.

DigiFluid
August 21st, 2010, 12:56 AM
I wouldn't call Conquest brilliant, but it was flippin' Shakespeare compared to the Tim Burton abortion.

In any case, I agree with the sentiment. It's like they want to remake Conquest, but ignore how Conquest came about in the first place. Which is just moronic, IMO.

Thunderstorm
August 21st, 2010, 01:12 AM
In any case, I agree with the sentiment. It's like they want to remake Conquest, but ignore how Conquest came about in the first place. Which is just moronic, IMO.

Which is what made me think of the Tim Burton route. :mad: Let's use name recognition but use our own plot. :jack_new_anime25:

the fifth man
August 21st, 2010, 08:33 PM
I will still give this a chance. For now, anyways.

rockerlad
August 29th, 2010, 03:52 PM
this sounds terrible, the originals are clasics, they should be left alone

DigiFluid
August 29th, 2010, 04:05 PM
It sounds....problematic. I'll probably still see it, though.

Shpinxinator
September 19th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Hmmm...see there are a few things I feel I need to point out...because the franchize involves time travel technically they can rewrite anything without contradicting anything else. According to the Multiverse therory anything that can happen has/does happen so therefore the Apes could become the dominant life form in any number of ways.

As for good'ol Timmy's 2001 remake I really feel strongly that the movie had the same problem as the Willy Wonka movie in that people concider and label it a remake when infact it's not...it was Burton's own interpretation of the original novel which in my book is fine. Granted there is little in common with the book apart from the ending and the fact that there is a planet of Apes but the same could be said of the original film as well. I recently rewatched the 2001 reTELLING and realized that there really isn't any one thing wrong with the movie, the music is fantastic the plot isn't horrible, it had a pretty good cast...i think the problem is we as Nerds are very set in our ways and don't like seeing what we love tampered with....I say as long as it exposes the story to a new generation of Nerd pupas I'm all for it!

the fifth man
September 19th, 2010, 06:23 PM
When I see this, I will definitely do my best not to judge it by any of the previous Apes films.

Spimman
September 20th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I'm sure I'll get the Redbox when that time comes, like I do with all movies that sound interesting but not awesome.

DigiFluid
April 6th, 2011, 05:30 PM
All kinds of stupid....this movie has now been retitled "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" (http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Rise-Of-The-Apes-Retitled-Rise-Of-The-Planet-Of-The-Apes-24075.html)

SaberBlade
April 6th, 2011, 06:23 PM
If people can't connect Rise of the Apes to Planet of the Apes, may I suggest they just rename it "let go of me you damn dirty Ape" or just "We finally really did it. You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you. God damn you all to hell!"

Replicator Todd
April 6th, 2011, 06:28 PM
All kinds of stupid....this movie has now been retitled "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" (http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Rise-Of-The-Apes-Retitled-Rise-Of-The-Planet-Of-The-Apes-24075.html)

Ridiculous. At least there isn't major changes to the film itself?

Angela V
April 6th, 2011, 09:18 PM
What kind of test audience were they using? Did they use them again for this weird new title?

Rise of the Planet of the Apes sounds weird.

the fifth man
April 6th, 2011, 09:22 PM
What kind of test audience were they using? Did they use them again for this weird new title?

Rise of the Planet of the Apes sounds weird.

Yeah, it does sound weird. Rise of the Apes worked perfectly IMO.

gkyun
April 9th, 2011, 06:12 AM
That has to be one of the most redundant movie titles I've heard. If they really wanted to leave no ambiuity, they could've just added a subtitle instead, something like, Planet of the Apes: The Rising.

But then, considering the sequels in the 70s were named in a similar fashion, I can see why they would name it this way.

boxvic
April 9th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I actually own the Planet of the Apes blu-ray box set. Unlike most people I like the squeals, except Beneath the Planet of the Apes. That said, I was never big on the whole "paradox" answer for how it all happened. I mean really, I'm a sci-fi guy, I've seen time travel done in just about every way imaginable; so don't throw that weak apes rise because future apes traveled back after a past human travels forward stuff at me. At least try and throw some quantum observation stuff at me, like Heston changed the future by seeing it from an outside perspective, so his interpretation was the only interpretation and therefore created the apes to go back in time. Though even that wouldn't explain why he saw apes ruling the world.

The whole thing just didn't work. Each movie was good on its own (the first was obviously fantastic), but as a whole they failed.

So if they want to remake the "how it happened" storyline then I'm all for it, assuming it actually is a good movie. I would also hope they include some mention of the space flight from the original movie too. You know, something to show that it really is supposed to be from after that flight took place to properly set up the time line.

TheRandomOne
April 9th, 2011, 08:35 PM
The following titles would be better

The Rise of the Planet of the Apes in which the Conquest of said Planet is indeed the Planet of which there are Apes

LtColCarter
April 10th, 2011, 04:44 PM
The following titles would be better

The Rise of the Planet of the Apes in which the Conquest of said Planet is indeed the Planet of which there are Apes

That made my brain hurt...

DigiFluid
April 10th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I actually own the Planet of the Apes blu-ray box set. Unlike most people I like the squeals, except Beneath the Planet of the Apes. That said, I was never big on the whole "paradox" answer for how it all happened. I mean really, I'm a sci-fi guy, I've seen time travel done in just about every way imaginable; so don't throw that weak apes rise because future apes traveled back after a past human travels forward stuff at me. At least try and throw some quantum observation stuff at me, like Heston changed the future by seeing it from an outside perspective, so his interpretation was the only interpretation and therefore created the apes to go back in time. Though even that wouldn't explain why he saw apes ruling the world.

The whole thing just didn't work. Each movie was good on its own (the first was obviously fantastic), but as a whole they failed.
It's not a paradox, they're divergent timelines. That was made pretty abundantly clear from dialogue in Escape vs. how things played out in Conquest and Battle. But even if the conclusion of Battle didn't make that clear enough, look at the fold-out art on the BD boxset (I have it too). It shows the two different timelines.

boxvic
April 12th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I've read the time lines in the box set, and I understand them being two different time lines. You got me there, I didn't consider that when I made my post. Still though, that just lends more credence to this new movie. It should, if it is following the original formula, be describing how the apes took over in the original time line.

DigiFluid
April 12th, 2011, 03:18 PM
First look at one of Rise's all-CGI apes (http://www.avclub.com/articles/heres-your-first-look-at-a-rise-of-the-planet-of-t,54431/)

LtColCarter
April 12th, 2011, 08:02 PM
First look at one of Rise's all-CGI apes (http://www.avclub.com/articles/heres-your-first-look-at-a-rise-of-the-planet-of-t,54431/)

Didn't look that bad.

DigiFluid
April 12th, 2011, 11:30 PM
RotPotA (god what a stupid title) gets a logo in classic Apes text! (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/04/11/first-footage-from-the-rise-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-shows-off-a-moody-ape)

Artha O'neill
April 14th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Rise of the Planet of the Apes Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqyKYrDta_E

Sp!der
April 14th, 2011, 07:51 AM
"Rise of the Planet of the Apes" is really not the best title for a movie, and they should have left "Rise of the Apes" but the trailer looks really good and I will defenitley watch this when it comes out!
Am I the only one who liked the Tim Burton Remake? Sure it had its flaws, but I kinda liked it!

MattSilver 3k
April 14th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Trailer for Rise of the Planet of the Comet of the Uppity Apes In ApeTown The Planet looks pretty solid, I suppose. No less than a popcorn flick, really, but with some familiar faces - Franco, Tyler Labine, dude who plays Stryker in X-Men 2. Fun like that.

DigiFluid
April 14th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Not the greatest trailer, but still that 2 minutes along was about a hundred times better than the abomination that Tim Burton pooped out ten years ago.

Ukko
April 14th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Rise of the Planet of the Apes Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqyKYrDta_E

Awww, look at da monkey:D Looks good. Its one to watch for me:D

@Sp!der.
I liked the other one too.

Replicator Todd
April 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Looking forward to this! :)

walterIsTheMan
April 15th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I'm excited for this film. I used to watch the PotA films when I was younger, both me and my dad were fans of the cheesy 70s scifi films they made back then.

As for the title, I don't mind it. I think it's an indicator that they're planning more of a prequel and possible future films than a reboot. I think Rise of the Apes would have made it too distant from the others.

the fifth man
April 19th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Trailer definitely looked promising. I will certainly be checking this movie out.

Angela V
April 20th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Crap. Why does David Hewlett have to be in this? Now I might have to watch it. Sigh. That man makes me watch the weirdest movies sometimes ( Like "nothing". What the frak was that?!?)

LtColCarter
April 21st, 2011, 11:31 AM
Crap. Why does David Hewlett have to be in this? Now I might have to watch it. Sigh. That man makes me watch the weirdest movies sometimes ( Like "nothing". What the frak was that?!?)

:lol:

DigiFluid
June 3rd, 2011, 08:54 AM
New trailer at io9 (http://io9.com/5808031/new-planet-of-the-apes-trailer-explains-how-we-destroyed-ourselves-with-science)

Thunderstorm
June 3rd, 2011, 01:50 PM
I like it. This is getting more interesting.

However, I am worried they are leaving out (or glossing over) a few important steps.
Like how does Caesar get intelligent enough to know about the drug and then manage to inject it properly into hundereds of other apes without anyone knowing. And why would there be that many apes in one city to begin with.

Ukko
June 3rd, 2011, 02:02 PM
I like it. This is getting more interesting.

However, I am worried they are leaving out (or glossing over) a few important steps.
Like how does Caesar get intelligent enough to know about the drug and then manage to inject it properly into hundereds of other apes without anyone knowing. And why would there be that many apes in one city to begin with.

He could have learned from observing how humans used it on him, and we see him with a book and computer screen, so it seems they've been teaching him to read and write. He writes Jacobs on the computer screen. The drug seems to be in gas form. You see him releasing it in the cells, so it could easily infect the others. (Afeter escaping i would assume)
As for the number. They could've brought more in for experiments. Although it does seem like alot.

Thunderstorm
June 3rd, 2011, 02:07 PM
You see him releasing it in the cells, so it could easily infect the others. (Afeter escaping i would assume)

Hmmm. must have missed that part. That would work. :)

gkyun
June 3rd, 2011, 02:40 PM
It seems kind of unfeasible that the apes would be able to take over the world, considering there's only roughly 300,000 of them across all the species, whereas the US armed forces alone has over 2 million strong.

Admiral Mappalazarou
June 3rd, 2011, 06:10 PM
I'm guessing that this film will most likely just cover the first battle in the 'Ape revolution' and won't go as far as say the Apes getting even a foothold. It will probably just show them as a force not to be reckoned with. I doubt it will be as fatalistic as the events of Rise of the Machines, where you pretty much know that the end is nigh. From what I've read, also, this appears to be more of a standalone reboot that a connection to the other films, especially since the original Ape rebellion was already covered in the sequels to the original Planet of the Apes - Escape/Conquest of the Planet of the Apes.

I for one am quite excited by this film. The trailer makes it look very good but only shows bits of the actiony-type scenes, which worries me (as it could take a long build up to the actual action, like HULK). I hope it's clever and fast-moving, and I know it's bound to crap on it's predecessor (which I don't blame Burton for. I could tell he came in at the last minute. It looks nothing like the fantasy worlds of any of his previous movies).

Anyway, long and muddled post over - bring on Rise of the Apes.

. . . Yes, I will be calling it that when I pay for my ticket.

blueray
June 4th, 2011, 02:17 PM
i've only seen the planet of apes movie that came out somewhere in the 2000's. i liked it a lot, and wish it got a sequel.

not sure if i'm going to watch this one, though because david is in it, i might.

the fifth man
June 4th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I really, truly want this movie to turn out well. I hope it is a very pleasant surprise for a lot of people.

LtColCarter
June 7th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I really, truly want this movie to turn out well. I hope it is a very pleasant surprise for a lot of people.

As do I. The previews look promising.

DigiFluid
June 7th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I'm in a slightly different boat. I've been finding the previews so far to be really underwhelming, though I'm still hoping this turns out to be a great new Apes film. At the very least, it's hard to imagine it being any worse than Tim Burton's abortion of a film.

the fifth man
June 7th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I'm in a slightly different boat. I've been finding the previews so far to be really underwhelming, though I'm still hoping this turns out to be a great new Apes film. At the very least, it's hard to imagine it being any worse than Tim Burton's abortion of a film.

To be totally honest, I didn't think his version was bad at all. Not great, but not horrible.

the fifth man
July 19th, 2011, 08:05 PM
That extended scene posted on the GW main page was pretty great. This movie could end up being way better than I expected.

Thunderstorm
July 19th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I saw that scene earlier today on another site. Really good. I'm still a little worried about some of those mass ape scenes. Those look too over the top.

But this latest clip has really impressed me.

LtColCarter
July 20th, 2011, 07:14 AM
The trailers for this seem pretty good and are impressive.

loserinc
July 20th, 2011, 06:02 PM
I think I'll skip on this one. The last one was horrible. I know, a lot of people like it, but I really love the original movies and series. I'm so sick of old ideas being redone, and not well. I don't want a modern spin on things. I'm just glad they haven't touched Logan's Run or Soylent Green yet.

the fifth man
July 20th, 2011, 10:55 PM
The trailers for this seem pretty good and are impressive.

I am glad to see that some others feel as I do right now. This movie should at least be given a fair chance.

loserinc
July 20th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I'll wait to hear some reviews on it. I know that I was not impressed with that Tim Burton, Mark Wahlberg fiasco though. Maybe I'm just old :S

the fifth man
July 20th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I'll wait to hear some reviews on it. I know that I was not impressed with that Tim Burton, Mark Wahlberg fiasco though. Maybe I'm just old :S

I am sure it isn't that. To each their own. You like what you like.

RJLCyberPunk
July 21st, 2011, 12:26 PM
Well with what we now know about apes it is impossible to get away with the "predestination" and that apes just evolved on their own. We know that it would be impossible for them to evolve in that manner that quickly without help of some kind hence the update with the genetic experiments to cure Alzheimer. This actually places the movie closer to NBSG than it does to the original apes and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Admiral Mappalazarou
August 4th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Going seeing this a week tomorrow :D well excited! And the reviews so far have been really favourable!

Currently 82% on Rotten Tomatoes from about ten critics.

the fifth man
August 5th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I really hope I don't have to wait too long to see this movie.

DigiFluid
August 5th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I think I'll skip on this one. The last one was horrible. I know, a lot of people like it, but I really love the original movies and series. I'm so sick of old ideas being redone, and not well. I don't want a modern spin on things. I'm just glad they haven't touched Logan's Run or Soylent Green yet.
lolwut

It got panned by critics and audiences alike! I've never met anyone in real life who had anything kind to say about it. Tim Burton's abortion of a PotA film is generally agreed upon as awful.

Sp!der
August 6th, 2011, 08:12 AM
lolwut

It got panned by critics and audiences alike! I've never met anyone in real life who had anything kind to say about it. Tim Burton's abortion of a PotA film is generally agreed upon as awful.

I liked it :D and I am excited about the new one as well, but first I have to still see Green Lantern and in two weeks Captain America!

LtColCarter
August 6th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I liked it :D and I am excited about the new one as well, but first I have to still see Green Lantern and in two weeks Captain America!

Green Lantern? That isn't showing anymore around here, and why wait two weeks for Captain American. Rise of the Planet of the Apes looks like another movie I'm going to have to wait to see on DVD :( I tried to get some friends to see Captain America, but noone seems interested. I tried to get friends to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes and they say it looks creepy with talking apes. IDK if the apes talk in the new movie or not...but I seriously think I need to get new friends.

M2W
August 6th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I wasn't overly fond of the Burton remake.

Saw "Rise". It was actually way better than I thought it was going to be. Pretty emotional, well acted, and the CGI was convincing and not as over the top as I thought it was going to be.

Quite the "let's not play god" message, much like Jurassic Park, etc. Not that we'll ever learn.

Plus, at least two Stargate alumni, David Hewlett and Mike Dopud.

RJLCyberPunk
August 6th, 2011, 04:53 PM
The reviews of the movie are surprisingly positive! So much so that I would not be surprised if it generates not only sequels but spinoffs such as a TV show just like the original apes did. Hybrid apes taking over the world! Didn't Stalin tried to do that?

the fifth man
August 6th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I really have to talk my wife into going to see this.

Sp!der
August 7th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Green Lantern? That isn't showing anymore around here, and why wait two weeks for Captain American. Rise of the Planet of the Apes looks like another movie I'm going to have to wait to see on DVD :( I tried to get some friends to see Captain America, but noone seems interested. I tried to get friends to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes and they say it looks creepy with talking apes. IDK if the apes talk in the new movie or not...but I seriously think I need to get new friends.

actually here Apes comes out before Captain America fights super evil nazis... sad I know. and I pray, this week that one cinema will have still Green Lantern, I would be angry if I missed this one in the cinemas!

LtColCarter
August 7th, 2011, 07:11 AM
actually here Apes comes out before Captain America fights super evil nazis... sad I know. and I pray, this week that one cinema will have still Green Lantern, I would be angry if I missed this one in the cinemas!

Interesting... :) I got to see Captain America last night! :D Woo-hoo! Now, I have to bribe someone to go see Rise of the Planet of the Apes with me.

Sp!der
August 7th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Interesting... :) I got to see Captain America last night! :D Woo-hoo! Now, I have to bribe someone to go see Rise of the Planet of the Apes with me.

I hope you get lucky to watch Rise of the Planet of the Apes, its not on the MUST watch it list, but if Green Lantern is off next week (which I have a feeling it will be :( ) we will gonna watch that one! Glad you liked Captain America, I really really cannot wait for this one!

TheRandomOne
August 7th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Great movie & since near the end they had the

Astronauts going to Mars report I am guessing the second one will take place in the future & those astronauts return to Earth to find a Planet controlled by Apes ?

RJLCyberPunk
August 7th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Great movie & since near the end they had the

Astronauts going to Mars report I am guessing the second one will take place in the future & those astronauts return to Earth to find a Planet controlled by Apes ?

That's probably what they are vying for and I''ll add this:

Since the apes in this reboot are Smarter than humans that means they will return to an Ape civilization more advanced than we could have ever dreamed.

TheRandomOne
August 7th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I guess there is enough room in here for a more direct sequel with Will & Caesar. The sequel could show the Ape Civil War that is bound to happen. The Apes would no doubt have disagreements on what to do next once all of them start talking. Caesar wanting peace with the humans while that evil looking Ape that stood out starts his own group. Then the third one could be in the future with Caesar's son named after Will or something like that

DigiFluid
August 7th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Just watched.

Stuff I liked:
good cast, it was nice to see so many familiar faces
David Hewlett was great as the jerkoff neighbour who gets his ass kicked by Caesar :lol:
I liked how it started off fairly quickly with a nice hook, not just taking forever to get to the point
most of the ape CGI was actually pretty fantastic. I'll always be most fond of the makeup in the original film, but they did a really terrific job of CGI apes in this one
I appreciated (in a sad way) that it took Franco going outside the rules to prove to his boss that the project worked. That's kind of a sad reality on any field of work
the combination of writing, direction, CGI work and Andy Serkis' acting did a terrific job of making feel really bad for Caesar in the....ape animal shelter, or whatever that was supposed to be. Maybe it was a little blunt/in-your-face/obvious, but for me it really did the trick
Caesar finally yelling "no" was both a lovely emotional character fulfilment and a nice callback to the original story of the apes' rise that Cornelius told in Escape from the Planet of the Apes
the ape uprising was cool. Really loved how it felt like a moment of liberation, even though it was our own race that was on the defensive
the battle on the Golden Gate was, at least thematically, really reminiscent of the ape uprising in . Terrific.
the gorilla's self-sacrifice to save Caesar from the police helicopter was wonderful. One of those great moments of character, or indeed [i]species evolution to the point of caring for someone else or a cause even to the cost of self-sacrifice. Amazing thematic growth, and a point made without even having to state it aloud

Some nice PotA internal references in it too.
- they call the ape at the beginning Bright Eyes
- the young Caesar grew up without knowing his parents
- Tom Felton's mocking "it's a madhouse, a madhouse!" and later hosing down of Caesar
- that one of the apes' names was Cornelia (Cornelius? :D)
- that the orangutan was called Maurice
- "take your stinking paw off me you damn dirty ape!"
- the ape uprising callback I mentioned above

Things I didn't really like so much:
some of the CGI when Caesar was young and swinging around the house was just flat-out goofy
Franco injecting his father with the anti-Alzheimer's drug was really abrupt, rash, and bordering on ludicrous. I know it was supposed to be 2-3 years after the film's intro, but god damn, there's something to be said for responsible science
bringing in the vet lady on Caesar was ridiculously sudden--it's an illegal experiment ffs!
and then, she's with Franco for five years before she sees the papers tracking said illegal experiment plastered all over the walls at his house?
Franco tells his boss that the 112 didn't just help his dad's Alzheimer's, it improves his intelligence too. What? How were we supposed to know that? Did 15 minutes of the film get cut in editing or something?
some of the action bits were a bit too OTT for my liking. Like pulling up the manhole cover (you need a crowbar, at least, to lift those out) and tearing the parking meter out of the ground (really? I know apes tend to be stronger than humans but those suckers are anchored to the ground in concrete!)

Short summary: I loved it.

Now hurry up and release the Blu-ray, and get to work on the sequel :D

the fifth man
August 7th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I am glad to see this getting so many positive reviews around the web. It is nice to see that they got this movie right for the most part.

KEK
August 7th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I thought it was fantastic, it was much more than I expected it to be, and I think they did a good job of illustrating just how physically, intellectually and (Caesar at least) ethically superior to us the Apes really were. I'd like to see more of how they took over, but I'm not sure I'd risk ruining the story.

DigiFluid
August 8th, 2011, 05:58 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14441778

Rise of the Planet of the Apes director keen on sequel

The British director of Rise of the Planet of Apes has high hopes for a sequel after the film debuted at number one at the North American box office.

The prequel to the 1968 classic Planet of the Apes opened with estimated takings of $54m (£32.8m).

"The reaction has been so strong that we'll hopefully get to do it again," Rupert Wyatt said on Monday.

It is only the second feature film from the 38-year-old British director. His first was 2008 thriller The Escapist.

Wyatt told the BBC that the critical reaction to Rise of the Planet of the Apes had surpassed his expectations.

"For a Hollywood blockbuster it seems to have got such strong reviews. All of the critics that I read and respect have really gone for it. I'm speechless."

Under the headline "Chimpan-tastic!", Time Magazine's review said: "As both a simian simile and a wonder of technology, Rise of the Planet of the Apes deserves to be in the company of the great original Kong."

The film, set in present day San Francisco, includes among its human cast James Franco, Freida Pinto, John Lithgow, Brian Cox and Tom Felton (who plays Draco Malfoy in the Harry Potter films).

The story is told largely from the point of view of a chimpanzee named Caesar, played by Andy Serkis.

Serkis appears as a photo-realistic chimp via "performance capture" technology as used in Avatar and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

"The irony is that we were trying to make our special effects invisible," said Wyatt.

"One always assumes that the audience wants to see massive explosions or visual spectacle in an unsubtle way, but this is much more about using the special effects to create character and nuance."

Wyatt said he would be keen to direct an Apes sequel if he was asked.

"This is such a venerable franchise for the studio and they are incredibly protective of it. This is confirmation that we've been able to resuscitate a franchise and put it in a place where hopefully there will be many more.

"There's so much one can do with this and I've got plenty of ideas."

DigiFluid
August 8th, 2011, 10:37 AM
So I was thinking a little more on the implications of the end of the movie, with regards to a possible sequel:

Somebody in this thread already noted the slyly inserted mention of a mission to Mars. Pretty near thought on a way of revisiting the original Planet of the Apes story.

The credits scene with David Hewlett at the airport intrigues me a bit more though. There was a certain amount of trepedation in this thread a while back about the small number of primates vs. humans in the world. I think the credits scene resolved that quite effectively, don't you? The fat bearded guy from the lab died from his exposure to the 113 virus variant--but not before sneezing (blood) onto David Hewlett. David Hewlett who was then seen getting ready to fly a plane from a large commercial airport.

So I think it's a pretty safe bet that he spreads the virus worldwide, simultaneously reducing the human population and improving the intelligence of the ape population (if it is indeed airborne).

But I wonder, will this be shown on-screen, or will it end up as backstory for when those Mars astronauts return home to a world ruled by Apes?

rlr149
August 8th, 2011, 02:29 PM
So I was thinking a little more on the implications of the end of the movie, with regards to a possible sequel:

Somebody in this thread already noted the slyly inserted mention of a mission to Mars. Pretty near thought on a way of revisiting the original Planet of the Apes story.

The credits scene with David Hewlett at the airport intrigues me a bit more though. There was a certain amount of trepedation in this thread a while back about the small number of primates vs. humans in the world. I think the credits scene resolved that quite effectively, don't you? The fat bearded guy from the lab died from his exposure to the 113 virus variant--but not before sneezing (blood) onto David Hewlett. David Hewlett who was then seen getting ready to fly a plane from a large commercial airport.

So I think it's a pretty safe bet that he spreads the virus worldwide, simultaneously reducing the human population and improving the intelligence of the ape population (if it is indeed airborne).

But I wonder, will this be shown on-screen, or will it end up as backstory for when those Mars astronauts return home to a world ruled by Apes?

just after the apes escape theres some kids on the back of a van throwing newspapers, the headline was something like "mars mission lost" or "missing". guessing thats the set up for the next.

RJLCyberPunk
August 8th, 2011, 03:44 PM

Indeed it most likely is but there could be many stories in between such as how immediately after the plague how the apes begin to take over, their differences such as the one between Caesar and Koba, there is the very high probability that some of the surviving humans mutate as a result of the virus with some becoming telepathic and others becoming stronger, faster etc thus posing a threat to apes dominion. Hell for what I hear there is even a Bonobo featured in the movie so they can even spin off late night features off this :D

the fifth man
August 8th, 2011, 07:47 PM
It is really great that this movie has done so well thus far.

RJLCyberPunk
August 9th, 2011, 06:44 PM
It is really great that this movie has done so well thus far.

It is #1 at the box Office!!!!

jlovette
August 9th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Saw it opening day and loved it (not a fan of the Burton remake). There was only one cringe-worthy moment. There were also some parts that could have drawn an unintended laugh from the audience, but the crowd I was with was all in and totally buying it!

the fifth man
August 9th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Well, I finally got to see this. And wow, I was not disappointed one bit.:) Great movie, and I really hope we do get a sequel.

AnnieS
August 10th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Tyler Labine plays that bearded lab assistant. He is a total nice and talented guy. Have met him now twice.

Was totally thrilled by all the familiar faces I saw in the film. Though Tom Felton through me for a loop, didn't recognize him at first lol.

And David Hewlett was brilliant.

the fifth man
August 10th, 2011, 08:25 PM
David Hewlett is always brilliant.:)

dosed150
August 10th, 2011, 09:24 PM
i thought some of the bits with just humans were a bit dull, i kept wanting to get back to Caesar, who was by far the best character, and he was so cute when he was little, can't wait for a sequel

in fiction people who work at animal rescue places always seem to be abusive and hate animals, surely this is the opposite of reality, wouldnt you have to love animals to put up with the crummy pay and all the animal waste you'd have to deal with

rockerlad
August 11th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I wasn't to bothered about this movie, but after reading some of the reviews I think I may give it ago, as for the tim burton remake, it was not that bad the worst part about it was the ending how confusing.

dosed150
August 11th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I wasn't to bothered about this movie, but after reading some of the reviews I think I may give it ago, as for the tim burton remake, it was not that bad the worst part about it was the ending how confusing.

i didnt think it was that confusing, i think thane had used 1 of those little ships and that storm had sent him into earths past where he somehow led apes to takeover, im assuming the sequel would have covered that

DigiFluid
August 11th, 2011, 05:49 PM
The ending of Burton's abortion of a film wasn't confusing--it just didn't make any sense period. It was the ultimate 'frak you!' to cap off an absolute abomination of a movie.

As to Rise, well, I saw it again tonight. My dad wanted to see it :D

the fifth man
August 11th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I could definitely see this again soon.

Ian-S
August 12th, 2011, 05:06 AM
I really hope they get the opportunity to make a sequel, this movie was far better than I expected.

Regarding the Mars mission:
I think something has happened and they are on some sort of automated recovery system bringing them back to earth, so when they land at the Cape, they're met by Ceasar and Co instead of NASA crew - maybe that would be an improvement - chimps in space - uhoh hasn't that already been done?
:lol:

LtColCarter
August 12th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I'm still hoping to see it in the theaters. Between lame friends, work, and grad school...seems like my chances are slim.

Sp!der
August 13th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I want to see this as well now, but no one wants to watch it with me

the fifth man
August 13th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I'm still hoping to see it in the theaters. Between lame friends, work, and grad school...seems like my chances are slim.

I really hope you get to see it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

the fifth man
August 13th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I want to see this as well now, but no one wants to watch it with me

Go by yourself. I would if I had to. This movie is worth it, trust me.

Sp!der
August 14th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Go by yourself. I would if I had to. This movie is worth it, trust me.

yeah, I was once with myself in the movies, it was quite depressing, I rather go out with friends... :( ! but they dont like these kind of movies..

LtColCarter
August 14th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I really hope you get to see it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Looks like another no go this weekend.

yeah, I was once with myself in the movies, it was quite depressing, I rather go out with friends... :( ! but they dont like these kind of movies..

I might have to go see it by myself...I don't find it depressing. I just go to an early showing...when there really isn't a chance of a crowd being there. I wouldn't go to opening night of a huge movie by myself, mind you...

the fifth man
August 14th, 2011, 06:22 PM

They shouldn't judge this one. It has a lot more heart than some people may think. My wife certainly enjoyed it way more than she ever thought she would.

rockerlad
August 15th, 2011, 01:19 PM
i am going to re-watch the originals as well :)

DigiFluid
August 15th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I started watching the 70s animated series yesterday. Surprisingly good, but I think a rewatch of the original films is in order too :D

RJLCyberPunk
August 15th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I started watching the 70s animated series yesterday. Surprisingly good, but I think a rewatch of the original films is in order too :D The live action TV series were not that bad either despite how maligned they have been and the actors did all they could with those rigid masks. Hell that problem persisted in Tim Burton's apes as well. Even though the makeup was more detailed the actors simply could not really emote through those rigid masks. This movie is the first time we see Apes emoting on such a deep and profound level and is what sets this reboot apart from anything else done before. When I saw Roddy McDowell in his apesuit I just saw an actor in a costume trying to play an ape as best as he could. With this movie for the first time I saw the Character Caesar not just as an ape but as a person brought to life like never before.

DigiFluid
August 15th, 2011, 06:19 PM
The ape costumes won an honourary Oscar for achievement in makeup, back in 1968.

And yeah, I liked the 70s live-action series too :D

RJLCyberPunk
August 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM
The ape costumes won an honourary Oscar for achievement in makeup, back in 1968.

And yeah, I liked the 70s live-action series too :D

I don't doubt it. The makeup and costumes were revolutionary for that time period. In fact most of their budget went into makeup which is why probably the sets were so austere in the original. As maligned as Burton's remake is I liked the portrayal of Ape city in that movie as we get to see a whole lot more of ape society and culture in that short scene of the humans being carted through the city into the slave market.

Anyway I hope this reboot spawns not only sequels but spinoffs such as a miniseries or a TV series.

Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble
August 16th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I just watched it now found it really interesting.

I think you were meant to come away the feeling that humans should not interfere with nature but I think although Jacobs went around it wrong way the virus could have been tested on chimps in an acceptable way.

To me animal testing is a necessary for drug trials and primates are a good counterparts for humans. As long as it is done in a humane way animal testing is fine IMO.

As for ethics, the Apes far from being superior to us show that they are equal us IMO. They show traits of empathy, compassion, anger, contempt, vengeance, violence and most importantly desire for freedom. Caesar attacked the neighbor when he got angry and refused to help Jacobs out of the desire for vengeance.

The one part I didn't like was when Caesar first talked to Maurice he seemed as intelligent as him when wasn't even on the drug. I don't think 'normal' primates learn SL like deaf person more like they associate an object or feeling with a hand gesture. My point is just because teach a primate SL doesn't mean you can have conversation with it.

Sp!der
August 17th, 2011, 01:06 PM
My best friend promised me to watch this tomorrow night with me I hope she manage to survive this one because she does not watch sci-fi at all and on Saturday finally captain America... Ah a really good week

the fifth man
August 17th, 2011, 08:35 PM
My best friend promised me to watch this tomorrow night with me I hope she manage to survive this one because she does not watch sci-fi at all and on Saturday finally captain America... Ah a really good week

Your friend may enjoy this one more than she thinks she will. This movie is more than I ever hoped it would be.

rockerlad
August 18th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Well I got to see this movie last night and I was very apprehensive about this, but I loved it and can't wait for the sequel

Sp!der
August 18th, 2011, 01:45 PM
She backed down the last minute hopefully I'm gonna watch it sometime next week but this week I'll watch cap America first ^^

rlr149
August 18th, 2011, 01:58 PM
To me animal testing is a necessary for drug trials and primates are a good counterparts for humans. As long as it is done in a humane way animal testing is fine IMO.

humans are even better counterparts for humans, and you'd gain more relevant and conclusive results about how this stuff affects humans...... oh yeah! given the choice you wouldn't test this stuff on yourself so you'll force it on a similar, but not the same species that has no choice in the matter.

how very humane.

jfby
August 18th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I've seen it last week and it was pretty good. Good acting, good directing not my favorite movie with James Franco but good entertainement.

Naomi
August 19th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Just watched.

Stuff I liked:
good cast, it was nice to see so many familiar faces
David Hewlett was great as the jerkoff neighbour who gets his ass kicked by Caesar :lol:
I liked how it started off fairly quickly with a nice hook, not just taking forever to get to the point
most of the ape CGI was actually pretty fantastic. I'll always be most fond of the makeup in the original film, but they did a really terrific job of CGI apes in this one
I appreciated (in a sad way) that it took Franco going outside the rules to prove to his boss that the project worked. That's kind of a sad reality on any field of work
the combination of writing, direction, CGI work and Andy Serkis' acting did a terrific job of making feel really bad for Caesar in the....ape animal shelter, or whatever that was supposed to be. Maybe it was a little blunt/in-your-face/obvious, but for me it really did the trick
Caesar finally yelling "no" was both a lovely emotional character fulfilment and a nice callback to the original story of the apes' rise that Cornelius told in Escape from the Planet of the Apes
the ape uprising was cool. Really loved how it felt like a moment of liberation, even though it was our own race that was on the defensive
the battle on the Golden Gate was, at least thematically, really reminiscent of the ape uprising in . Terrific.
the gorilla's self-sacrifice to save Caesar from the police helicopter was wonderful. One of those great moments of character, or indeed [i]species evolution to the point of caring for someone else or a cause even to the cost of self-sacrifice. Amazing thematic growth, and a point made without even having to state it aloud

Some nice PotA internal references in it too.
- they call the ape at the beginning Bright Eyes
- the young Caesar grew up without knowing his parents
- Tom Felton's mocking "it's a madhouse, a madhouse!" and later hosing down of Caesar
- that one of the apes' names was Cornelia (Cornelius? :D)
- that the orangutan was called Maurice
- "take your stinking paw off me you damn dirty ape!"
- the ape uprising callback I mentioned above

Things I didn't really like so much:
some of the CGI when Caesar was young and swinging around the house was just flat-out goofy
Franco injecting his father with the anti-Alzheimer's drug was really abrupt, rash, and bordering on ludicrous. I know it was supposed to be 2-3 years after the film's intro, but god damn, there's something to be said for responsible science
bringing in the vet lady on Caesar was ridiculously sudden--it's an illegal experiment ffs!
and then, she's with Franco for five years before she sees the papers tracking said illegal experiment plastered all over the walls at his house?
Franco tells his boss that the 112 didn't just help his dad's Alzheimer's, it improves his intelligence too. What? How were we supposed to know that? Did 15 minutes of the film get cut in editing or something?
some of the action bits were a bit too OTT for my liking. Like pulling up the manhole cover (you need a crowbar, at least, to lift those out) and tearing the parking meter out of the ground (really? I know apes tend to be stronger than humans but those suckers are anchored to the ground in concrete!)

Short summary: I loved it.

Now hurry up and release the Blu-ray, and get to work on the sequel :DMan ... despite seeing an online trailer that made my action/adventure film lovin' heart go pitty-pat, I had decided to wait for the DVD after speaking with someone who saw the movie. He described the movie as being very good, primarily character driven, with the action concentrated in the last half hour of the movie. Now, reading your post, the movie sounds like there's some action throughout the movie. I still intend to purchase the DVD, but I am back to being undecided about seeing the movie in a theater.

the fifth man
August 19th, 2011, 08:06 PM
This movie is well worth seeing in the theater.

rockerlad
August 20th, 2011, 08:09 AM
This movie is well worth seeing in the theater.

any news on a sequal yet?

DigiFluid
August 20th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I have no idea what a sequal is.

But as to a potential sequel, I know the director at least seems keen to do one. No word from the studio yet though.

Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble
August 20th, 2011, 12:55 PM
humans are even better counterparts for humans, and you'd gain more relevant and conclusive results about how this stuff affects humans...... oh yeah! given the choice you wouldn't test this stuff on yourself so you'll force it on a similar, but not the same species that has no choice in the matter.

how very humane.

I value human life more than any other so I think it should be test on and animal first before we even consider giving any drug to a human.

To me unless an animal is an sentient intelligent being it shouldn't get the same rights as us but that is not to say they don't deserve any.

Many of todays drugs that are used routinely would not have existed without animal testing.

This is all IMO BTW.

blueray
August 20th, 2011, 02:00 PM
just saw it yesterday. very good! (and i was happy to see david play a somewhat major part, or at least more than i thought he did).

i defiantly can see there being a sequel

rlr149
August 20th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I value human life more than any other so I think it should be test on and animal first before we even consider giving any drug to a human.

To me unless an animal is an sentient intelligent being it shouldn't get the same rights as us but that is not to say they don't deserve any.

Many of todays drugs that are used routinely would not have existed without animal testing.

This is all IMO BTW.

so if something MORE intelligent comes along..... you'll be fine with them testing stuff on your body for their benefit?

"no" i'm betting.

rockerlad
August 20th, 2011, 03:32 PM
so if something MORE intelligent comes along..... you'll be fine with them testing stuff on your body for their benefit?

"no" i'm betting.
100% agree

LtColCarter
August 21st, 2011, 10:16 AM
just saw it yesterday. very good! (and i was happy to see david play a somewhat major part, or at least more than i thought he did).

i defiantly can see there being a sequel

Haven't had time to go see it yet!

the fifth man
August 21st, 2011, 07:22 PM
Haven't had time to go see it yet!

Hopefully you get to see it eventually. I think you will like it.

LtColCarter
August 21st, 2011, 08:30 PM
Hopefully you get to see it eventually. I think you will like it.

If I actually have next Saturday off from work (gotta love 6 day work weeks)...I'm gonna go see it.

rockerlad
August 22nd, 2011, 10:00 AM
6 day work weeks!!!!!! we only work 5 days a week inthe UK.

DigiFluid
August 22nd, 2011, 11:21 AM
6 day work weeks!!!!!! we only work 5 days a week inthe UK.
Depends on the job, not the country ;)

LtColCarter
August 22nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
Depends on the job, not the country ;)

Yes...my line of work isn't for the faint of heart.

the fifth man
August 22nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
Yes...my line of work isn't for the faint of heart.

Work always seems to get in the way of all the fun stuff, doesn't it?;)

Sp!der
August 23rd, 2011, 12:13 AM
I just watched it and it was amazing!!! glad that I still could catch it in the theaters..... xD I think this, Tron: Legacy and Thor are my favorite movies this year (Blockbuster wise) havent watched a lot of independent movies this year ... I loved Andy Serkis, he is fablous, and the apes where awesome animated..or motion-captured, the soundtrack was awesome as ever (Patrick Doyle!!!)

the fifth man
August 23rd, 2011, 06:33 PM
If there somehow isn't a sequel, I will be so disappointed.

DigiFluid
August 23rd, 2011, 06:46 PM
I just watched it and it was amazing!!! glad that I still could catch it in the theaters..... xD I think this, Tron: Legacy and Thor are my favorite movies this year (Blockbuster wise) havent watched a lot of independent movies this year ... I loved Andy Serkis, he is fablous, and the apes where awesome animated..or motion-captured, the soundtrack was awesome as ever (Patrick Doyle!!!)

Didn't Tron Legacy come out last year?

Sp!der
August 23rd, 2011, 11:24 PM
Didn't Tron Legacy come out last year?

wups.. my bad.. with so many movies I somtimes get confused, my bad.... :) nevertheless, I loved the Apes movie and I would love to see a sequel as well.. I never checked out the originals, maybe I should someday..but it did good in the cinemas right? So a sequel could be a possibility?
David Hewlett had the perfect scenes but I would love to see the SG actors in some bigger movies, I noticed Varro as cop too... forget his real name though

the fifth man
August 24th, 2011, 11:51 PM
There was an actor from BSG too. He played the cop who took Jacobs up into the helicopter.

DigiFluid
August 25th, 2011, 05:50 AM
That would be Ty Olsson. His notable sci-fi credits include:
- Col. Barnes in SG-1's The Fourth Horseman, Part 1
- Capt. Kelly in 8 episodes of Battlestar Galactica
- Rollie in Defying Gravity
- Sheriff/Deputy Andy in Eureka, before Kavan Smith took over the role

LtColCarter
August 25th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Work always seems to get in the way of all the fun stuff, doesn't it?;)

Yes it does...and it seems to do that more so that Gov. Rick Perry cut funding to education in Texas...and teachers are having to work more to make up for the co-workers who were cut.

DigiFluid
August 25th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Yes it does...and it seems to do that more so that Gov. Rick Perry cut funding to education in Texas...and teachers are having to work more to make up for the co-workers who were cut.
I think the worst part of that is that it's hardly even unique to Texas teachers. It seems like everywhere you go, no matter what the field, upper management has tightened the purse strings and let so many people go that the ones who are left are working way too long and hard to pick up the slack. And of course, nobody in upper management ever takes a pay cut or gets let go--despite making many times more than those of us on the bottom rung.

"Workers of the world unite", indeed.

LtColCarter
August 25th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I think the worst part of that is that it's hardly even unique to Texas teachers. It seems like everywhere you go, no matter what the field, upper management has tightened the purse strings and let so many people go that the ones who are left are working way too long and hard to pick up the slack.

This is true! I hope *fingers crossed* that I can go see Rise of the Planet of the Apes this Saturday! I've just had to work so many 12-15 hour days that I just crash when I come home.

the fifth man
August 25th, 2011, 07:11 PM
This is true! I hope *fingers crossed* that I can go see Rise of the Planet of the Apes this Saturday! I've just had to work so many 12-15 hour days that I just crash when I come home.

I definitely understand crashing when you get home. All too well actually. I really hope you do get to see this soon my friend.

Commander Zelix
August 25th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Epic

the fifth man
August 25th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Epic

That about sums it up IMO.:)

Sp!der
August 25th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Epic

Yes, indeed.

Ukko
August 27th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Thought it was awesome! :D David had a much bigger part than i thought he would.

Bright eyes. :D The cages and the hose down, much like how humans were treated in the original.

Get your stinkin paws off me you damn dirty ape!

NO!

Ceasar is home. :D

mr_kennedy
August 27th, 2011, 08:17 AM
This right here seemed more plausable than what happened in the original prequel i felt real bad for Ceasar for a little while and can understand why he did what he did

Oh and Tom was good in this, i think i hated him more in this than i ever have done during his time as Draco....... but man type cast much? .......... i also liked David Hewlett good to see him play a different type of character, not smart not sarcastic just a cranky middle aged man and i didnt like him at all :lol:

LtColCarter
August 27th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Well, I had a nice review written about the movie...but my computer froze and I had to restart it. So, I guess that wasn't meant to be...

So...in summary...I got to see it today and loved it. I can't wait for a sequel. Hated David Hewlett's character. Thought Tom Felton was awesome...and hated his character too! ;)

DigiFluid
August 27th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Awesome! It seems we so rarely agree on TV/movies LCC, but it's nice to know that we can agree at least some of the time :)

the fifth man
August 27th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Well, I had a nice review written about the movie...but my computer froze and I had to restart it. So, I guess that wasn't meant to be...

So...in summary...I got to see it today and loved it. I can't wait for a sequel. Hated David Hewlett's character. Thought Tom Felton was awesome...and hated his character too! ;)

I am glad that you finally got to see it. It was worth the wait though, wasn't it?

LtColCarter
August 28th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Awesome! It seems we so rarely agree on TV/movies LCC, but it's nice to know that we can agree at least some of the time :)

:indeed: :D

I am glad that you finally got to see it. It was worth the wait though, wasn't it?

Oh yes! I wish I would've seen it sooner! I felt this movie made a lot more sense in regard to how things started than the prequel to the original Planet of the Apes.

LizzieAnne
August 29th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Watched this yesterday. Wow...best film I've seen in a long time. Intelligent and well thought out. It walks the line between too much brutality and too much sentimentality just perfectly. That's something I feared they wouldn't get right.

Loved that we got to see Caesar growing up. From the baby...aaw so cute...sulky teenager..'Am I a pet?' To independent smart leader with him stealing the pen knife and asserting his authority. Fantastic.

Loved the Mars mission slotted in there...to give us an idea of the time line and a nod to the first movie (from what I can remember the original space mission has now been sensibly updated to a Mars mission)

I thought all the scientists were really well portrayed and just as I imagine.

Oh yes...and who thought all the cruel guys would get their comeuppance? :p Predictable but fun.

10/10

LtColCarter
August 29th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Watched this yesterday. Wow...best film I've seen in a long time. Intelligent and well thought out. It walks the line between too much brutality and too much sentimentality just perfectly. That's something I feared they wouldn't get right.

Loved that we got to see Caesar growing up. From the baby...aaw so cute...sulky teenager..'Am I a pet?' To independent smart leader with him stealing the pen knife and asserting his authority. Fantastic.

Loved the Mars mission slotted in there...to give us an idea of the time line and a nod to the first movie (from what I can remember the original space mission has now been sensibly updated to a Mars mission)

I thought all the scientists were really well portrayed and just as I imagine.

Oh yes...and who thought all the cruel guys would get their comeuppance? :p Predictable but fun.

10/10

I couldn't agree with you more!

Sp!der
December 7th, 2011, 05:40 AM
I'm gonna get this on Friday on bluray and will hopefully have the time to watch it on the weekend, truly when it comes to sci-fi movies etc. it was the best movie of the year! (IMO)

the fifth man
December 12th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I can't wait to get my hands on this release. I hope there are some sweet special features included.

LtColCarter
December 13th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I can't wait to get my hands on this release. I hope there are some sweet special features included.

I wanna get this one too...lately DVDs have been lacking in the special features dept. I hope there are some goodies on this one.

rockerlad
December 14th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I hope i get this for xmas, along with the new COD game and star wars on bluray.

the fifth man
December 14th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I wanna get this one too...lately DVDs have been lacking in the special features dept. I hope there are some goodies on this one.

Good special features do help enhance the experience.

DigiFluid
December 15th, 2011, 06:45 AM
The BD bonus features:

11 Deleted Scenes(HD, 12 mins) -- Some interesting, but redundant scenes. The real treat is seeing Andy Serkis on the set.
The Genius of Andy Serkis (HD, 8 mins) -- Everyone loves Andy Serkis. And they should, because he's a remarkable performer. This is a montage of that performance with the cast and crew talking about how wonderful he is. There's also a breakdown of how scenes were filmed using multiple plates.
Scene Breakdown (HD, 2 mins) -- Toggle between the final scene with a picture-in-picture of the human performers in mo-cap suit (default, red button), the mo-cap only performance footage (yellow button), and early animation (green button).
A New Generation of Apes (HD, 10 mins) -- Weta and the filmmakers talk about how they decided not to use real live apes, and in their place created CGI apes with a cast of human performers and digital wizards. Follow them through "Ape School" to final composites.
Breaking Motion Capture Boundaries (HD, 2 mins) -- the Golden Gate bridge is the largest mo-cap set ever constructed, and the first one ever set up outside during the day. Pretty cool stuff for anyone interested in VFX.
The Great Apes (HD, 23 mins) -- A combination of a few parts. There's a tour through the 3D models of chimps, gorillas, orangutans while facts scroll up on the side. There's also three mini nature documentaries about them.
Mythology of the Apes (HD, 7 mins) -- The filmmakers talk about their love of the original film, and what ideas and themes went into creating the seed of what would eventually become Charlton Heston's world.
Composing the Score with Patrick Doyle (HD, 8 mins) -- Patrick Doyle has been one of my favorite composers since I first heard his working on Kenneth Branagh's 'Henry V'. Mr. Doyle chats here about the movies themes and what choices went into his musical sound design.
Audio Commentaries -- I haven't had a chance to listen to all of both commentaries yet, but we have two separate tracks. The first is with Director Rupert Wyatt, and the second with Writer-Producers Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver. I found the writer track particularly illuminating as they break down their intentions in the scenes or the script as a whole against what was completed. Anyone interested in screenwriting should listen. Mr. Wyatt's track is equally informative in his discussion of themes, character, story and production. Both are must listen for fans.
Character Concept Art Gallery (HD) -- A quick look at all the characters, showing their sketches versus photos of real ape species.
Theatrical Trailers(HD via download, 7 mins). 4 different trailers in 5.1 Dolby Digital. Do yourself a favor, if you blind buy this disc, do not watch any of these first.

Source (http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5809/rise_apes_combo.html)

LtColCarter
December 15th, 2011, 06:48 AM
The BD bonus features:

11 Deleted Scenes(HD, 12 mins) -- Some interesting, but redundant scenes. The real treat is seeing Andy Serkis on the set.
The Genius of Andy Serkis (HD, 8 mins) -- Everyone loves Andy Serkis. And they should, because he's a remarkable performer. This is a montage of that performance with the cast and crew talking about how wonderful he is. There's also a breakdown of how scenes were filmed using multiple plates.
Scene Breakdown (HD, 2 mins) -- Toggle between the final scene with a picture-in-picture of the human performers in mo-cap suit (default, red button), the mo-cap only performance footage (yellow button), and early animation (green button).
A New Generation of Apes (HD, 10 mins) -- Weta and the filmmakers talk about how they decided not to use real live apes, and in their place created CGI apes with a cast of human performers and digital wizards. Follow them through "Ape School" to final composites.
Breaking Motion Capture Boundaries (HD, 2 mins) -- the Golden Gate bridge is the largest mo-cap set ever constructed, and the first one ever set up outside during the day. Pretty cool stuff for anyone interested in VFX.
The Great Apes (HD, 23 mins) -- A combination of a few parts. There's a tour through the 3D models of chimps, gorillas, orangutans while facts scroll up on the side. There's also three mini nature documentaries about them.
Mythology of the Apes (HD, 7 mins) -- The filmmakers talk about their love of the original film, and what ideas and themes went into creating the seed of what would eventually become Charlton Heston's world.
Composing the Score with Patrick Doyle (HD, 8 mins) -- Patrick Doyle has been one of my favorite composers since I first heard his working on Kenneth Branagh's 'Henry V'. Mr. Doyle chats here about the movies themes and what choices went into his musical sound design.
Audio Commentaries -- I haven't had a chance to listen to all of both commentaries yet, but we have two separate tracks. The first is with Director Rupert Wyatt, and the second with Writer-Producers Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver. I found the writer track particularly illuminating as they break down their intentions in the scenes or the script as a whole against what was completed. Anyone interested in screenwriting should listen. Mr. Wyatt's track is equally informative in his discussion of themes, character, story and production. Both are must listen for fans.
Character Concept Art Gallery (HD) -- A quick look at all the characters, showing their sketches versus photos of real ape species.
Theatrical Trailers(HD via download, 7 mins). 4 different trailers in 5.1 Dolby Digital. Do yourself a favor, if you blind buy this disc, do not watch any of these first.

Source (http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5809/rise_apes_combo.html)

Sounds good...are those on the regular DVD or the BluRay only?

Sp!der
December 15th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Sounds good...are those on the regular DVD or the BluRay only?

Well my German ediion has only two deleted scenes and some featurettes,nowhere near as many as the bluray! Personally I don't care that much, because sometimes special features only kill the magic of the movie.

LtColCarter
December 16th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Well my German ediion has only two deleted scenes and some featurettes,nowhere near as many as the bluray! Personally I don't care that much, because sometimes special features only kill the magic of the movie.

I guess being someone who works with video production...I like seeing those special features. Gives me ideas...and sometimes I can say, "I know how they did that!" :)

MIZA
December 20th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Is this movie considered a prequel to the other movies ?

Sp!der
December 21st, 2011, 07:25 AM

as I understood,...maybe..?:D

DigiFluid
December 21st, 2011, 08:26 AM

No. It's its own continuity--no previous viewing required.

ZRFTS
January 30th, 2012, 06:46 AM
So... I'm not sure anybodies heard of this but Andy Serkis is set to reprise his role in any future Ape movies whether they get made or not.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/11/andy-serkis-closes-big-planet-of-the-apes-deal-should-fox-campaign-for-oscar/

Shudder...

DigiFluid
January 30th, 2012, 06:58 AM
....shudder? Shudder what?

Andy Serkis is a great mo-cap actor, and this was a terrific movie. :confused:

ZRFTS
January 30th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Andy Serkis is a great mo-cap actor, and this was a terrific movie. :confused:

I personally dislike this movie; don't get me wrong, it's good entertainment for those who like it but I don't think it's the masterpiece/smart movie critics made it out to be (wrote a 7,000 word review which details this). It's more like a product that you pop in and enjoy but never truly remember.

DigiFluid
January 30th, 2012, 07:14 AM
It was everything that great science fiction should be--very human without necessarily being ABOUT humans, a bit fantastical, and using its fantasy to explore and speak to important contemporary social issues. Plus it was damned entertaining.

Was it the best film of 2011? Probably not. There were some damn fine movies last year. But this one was definitely in my top 10, if not top 5.

Snowman37
January 30th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Though this was the seventh movie, it wasn't a prequel.

Planet of the Apes (1968-73)
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Beneath the Planet of the Apes
Escape from the Planet of the Apes
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
Battle for the Planet of the Apes

The original movie lead into one sequel. The third movie featured two apes traveling back in time to the present day. I haven't seen Escape, Conquest, nor Battle. They either change the future or fulfill a predestination paradox.

The next installment was Planet of the Apes (2001), a loose remake of the 1968 film, directed by Tim Burton. It was a departure from Burton's usual bizarre affair. I really liked it, but it ends on a quasi-cliffhanger. It's like they were setting up a sequel, but one never materialized. The next movie was... Rise of the Planet of the Apes. This neither follows the 1968-73 film series nor the 2001 remake of the '68 film. This movie is simply a total reboot, the first in what is planned to be a new film series. However, they will be following the basic storyline of the original film series, I believe. Rise of the Planet of the Apes foreshadows the Planet of the Apes. The ship heading to Mars, briefly mentioned in the movie, is suppose to be the ship flung to the distant future where it will find Earth run by apes with humanity in a primitive, animal-like role.

DigiFluid
January 30th, 2012, 09:03 AM
The third movie featured two apes traveling back in time to the present day. I haven't seen Escape, Conquest, nor Battle. They either change the future or fulfill a predestination paradox.

The future is altered by the events of Escape. A lot of people seem to miss this, for whatever reason, but the history of the Apes that Cornelius describes in Escape is markedly different from what happens in Conquest and Battle.

What I really scratch my head over though is which timeline the live-action TV series falls into. Could really go either way IMO.

Snowman37
January 30th, 2012, 09:10 AM
From the old movies, I only saw the first to. Thanks for clearing up the timeline issue. I thought it was a predestination paradox, hence why I haven't bothered with the later movies. However, a new future unfolding? Now that draws me in! :cool: As for the TV series, I don't think it follows the movies. :S

DigiFluid
January 30th, 2012, 09:44 AM
I hope you aren't deterred by Escape. That's by far my least favourite of the original movies.

Conquest is a much better film IMO, especially with the proper version finally seeing the light of day. It's designed from start to end as a rather dark and violent film--Ape slaves rising up in revolution against their masters, it's hard to tell that story gently--but the original theatrical cut both toned down the violence and replaced the chilling ending with something more upbeat that felt terribly out of place given what happened throughout the movie. The original cut is a far better overall movie, and it was good to finally see it as it was meant to be told.

As to the branching of the alternate timeline, they don't explore it as much as you'd hope. They shy away a little much from the overall story in favour of telling the stories specific to those movies, but I felt that the end of Battle always made the difference very clear.

blueray
January 30th, 2012, 02:02 PM
i've only seen the 2001 remake (which i really liked and hated that it ends in a cliffhanger without being answered). and rise of the planet of the apes, so thanks for posting the order of the other movies.

ZRFTS
January 31st, 2012, 06:33 AM
Conquest is a much better film IMO

I have to agree, I mean that film is set with so much sociological overtones and political commentary that it almost portrays itself as smart. Plus the setting is perfect, the violence is gorgeous and the scenes blend into each other seamlessly. Plus it's not all senseless violent, Ceaser has a reason for what he's doing and the monkey that we see him as is something I wanted to see in RotPotA, which is one who is surrounded by the bad sights of humanity but still thinks there is good in humanity.

I may rewatch this movie sometime.

Teddybrown
March 15th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Anyone seen the trailer for the sequel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_9-3Fj3ZdI&feature=player_detailpage

DigiFluid
March 20th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Yup! And in case anyone hadn't heard, a third film in this series has already been greenlighted and announced for release on July 29 2016.

the fifth man
March 22nd, 2014, 07:50 PM
Yup! And in case anyone hadn't heard, a third film in this series has already been greenlighted and announced for release on July 29 2016.

Very nice.:)

Teddybrown
May 8th, 2014, 06:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hVXYl1URtmY

New trailer, looks pretty awesome!

VampyreWraith
May 8th, 2014, 07:26 PM
It does look pretty awesome, I'm really looking forward to seeing it! :)

garhkal
May 8th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Since we had the rise of the planet, i have been hoping a sequal would be done. And the previews for this one make it look damn good.

Teddybrown
June 20th, 2014, 03:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpSaTrW4leg

Bloody hell, this looks awesome!

DigiFluid
June 21st, 2014, 12:41 PM
It does! And they've already given a third film the go-ahead!