PDA

View Full Version : Poseidon

Bast
May 15th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Poseidon was the god of Atlantis , So hell they have a good opportunity to include a Goa'uld. It would be neat if he had infested the body of a wraith.

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 12:57 PM
thats a thought it would be interesting, though perhaps poseidon was the high lord of the anciants or something like that

Odens återkomst
May 15th, 2004, 03:14 PM
I'd rather see the introduction of a new species who took on the persona of other Gods. We have the Asgard which did the germanic gods and the the Gou'ld took on the persona of various gods from different cultures, and those "giant alien" god(s) in "Crystal Skull" that took on the persona of the Mayan god(s). >>Note: I want them to revisit those giant aliens!<<
Anyway, I'd rather have a new species, especial aquadic, such as the alien in the episode, "Fire and Water". >>Note: I want them to revisit these aliens aswell<< These aquadic species would be prefect for a posidion god.

:D

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 03:16 PM
These aquadic species would be prefect for a posidion god.

i can see the logic in that idea

Mio
May 15th, 2004, 03:19 PM
the ancients definetly played a role in roman (or greek, I can't remember) mythology. They were, as Daniel said, the Ancients, the builder's of roads.....plus, the thing where the repository in TLC was looked like zeus or someone on their throne.

Odens återkomst
May 15th, 2004, 03:23 PM
the ancients definetly played a role in roman (or greek, I can't remember) mythology. They were, as Daniel said, the Ancients, the builder's of roads.....plus, the thing where the repository in TLC was looked like zeus or someone on their throne.

It was roman. Because the ancients language was a derivation of latin (or vice-versa), and yes, Daniel said the ancients were the "road" builders and the Romans learned to build "roads" from the "ancient ones". (Roads, I guess interchangable for Stargate Network)

The Roman Gods were basically the Greek gods with different names. If they have Poseidon as an ancient, then the name should be Neptune (Roman version of the Greek Poseidon).

Mio
May 15th, 2004, 04:30 PM
I meant Jupiter ::cough::

Bast
May 15th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Poseidon (neptune) I am all for him being a character.

JakeDeuxPointZero
May 15th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Honestly, I think if they do the gods thing again, it won't be quite right. It'd seem like someone is copying someone... although I suppose the Goa'uld already stole anything... copying an idea wouldn't be much more.

Mio
May 15th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Well, since Roman civilization was so influenced by the Ancients, It's possible that the 'gods' were just their leaders. Jupiter being the chief of some kind of council. In any case, they would have all ascended or died. Either case, we probably won't meet them. The ascendeds don't like us for some reason.

Atum
May 17th, 2004, 06:27 AM
I thought Aquaman was King of Atlantis.

Lord Dagda
May 17th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Anyway, I'd rather have a new species, especial aquadic, such as the alien in the episode, "Fire and Water". >>Note: I want them to revisit these aliens aswell<< These aquadic species would be prefect for a posidion god.

If I remember my mythology correctly, the aquatic species from Fire & Water were the Oannes (sp) from Sumerian mythology, who were meant to be fish-men that came out of the sea. I cant recall much else about them but I just remember reading about them in a book and then I think Daniel mentions something about it during the episode? Anyway, itd be cool to have an aquatic species like that and some kind of aquatic god :D

Positively Kanyon
May 18th, 2004, 02:05 AM
I think the "aliens impersonating gods" plot device has run it's course in SG-1. What would be interesting though, is if the ancient gods of Rome were actually commanders or leaders of the Ancients.

It could work in Stargate: Atlantis, if given the chance. Any thoughts?

Calicto
May 18th, 2004, 06:25 PM
*coughs himself into conversation*

Local Mythologist.

Okay. Poseidon is a Greek God. As seen in the show, the Titan Cronus of Mythology was actually the Goa'uld Cronus. Ra has enough evidence to prove that he was viewed by the Greek civilization the Greek God Zeus. Therefore, Poseidon cannot actually be another race of aliens as the Goa'uld PERFECTLY fit the description of the Greek Gods. They were harsh, god-like (in words of Homer; Achilles was god-like until he forgave Hektor and allowed his father to bury him) and loved to toy with men.

Lil Naitch
May 18th, 2004, 06:54 PM
No, what they should do is send the Atlantis team out exploring the planet htey're on on a big cruise ship that gets flipped over in a freak storm, and then they have to find there way out through the hull. The name of the ship? Poseidon.

Champos
May 18th, 2004, 07:25 PM
I thought Aquaman was King of Atlantis.

Quite possibly. It's been a while since I read my Plato, but wasn't Poseidon the FATHER of the King of ATlantis, rather than actaully being King himself?

Okay. Poseidon is a Greek God. As seen in the show, the Titan Cronus of Mythology was actually the Goa'uld Cronus. Ra has enough evidence to prove that he was viewed by the Greek civilization the Greek God Zeus. Therefore, Poseidon cannot actually be another race of aliens as the Goa'uld PERFECTLY fit the description of the Greek Gods. They were harsh, god-like (in words of Homer; Achilles was god-like until he forgave Hektor and allowed his father to bury him) and loved to toy with men.

Didn't the chief Nox guy have a Greek name as well? I don't really remember myself but I seem to remember someone saying it on the old forum.

Tok'Ra Hostess
May 19th, 2004, 07:35 AM
I hope I've done this formatting stuff right. If not, please bear with....

:)

QUOTE=Positively Kanyon]I think the "aliens impersonating gods" plot device has run it's course in SG-1.[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid that's true. The new baddies have a different MO (spoilers in white follow)

they are completely indifferent to their prey, which precludes any desire to trick them by taking on any sort of persona.

What would be interesting though, is if the ancient gods of Rome were actually commanders or leaders of the Ancients.

It could work in Stargate: Atlantis, if given the chance. Any thoughts?

It would lend some consistency to the Stargate franchise, but I doubt TPTB will be making much of any historical connection between their galaxy and the Milky Way galaxy, the Goa'uld and their god complexes beyond the series opener.

KorbenDirewolf
May 19th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Unless, of course, some poor old Goa'uld has somehow managed to get lost in that Galaxy.

Bast
May 19th, 2004, 10:44 AM
The could have a Goa'uld episode and Poseidon could be in it .

Positively Kanyon
May 19th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Not to sound big headed or egotistical, but I liked my idea better with the ancient gods of Rome being commanders of Ancients. I for one, don't really want to see Goa'uld in Atlantis. It's like Brad Wright said, new series means a new enemy.

I'm sure the Goa'uld will make some sort of guest appearance during the series.

Calicto
May 30th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Not to sound big headed or egotistical, but I liked my idea better with the ancient gods of Rome being commanders of Ancients. I for one, don't really want to see Goa'uld in Atlantis. It's like Brad Wright said, new series means a new enemy.

I'm sure the Goa'uld will make some sort of guest appearance during the series.
WHAT?

Okay.

1. Cronus was a Goa'uld.

2. Cronus (GREEK) = Saturn (ROMAN)

3. Thus, Saturn was an alias of Cronus, a Goa'uld

This means that Cronus was worshipped as Saturn by the Romans.

Therefore, Saturn could not have been a commander of the Ancients.

Plus, you have no evidence from the behavoir of the gods nor the show (except the Road-Builder Thing).

Positively Kanyon
May 31st, 2004, 03:17 AM
1. Cronus was a Goa'uld.
The Goa'uld used the religion's of the people scattered around the galaxy and impersonated the gods. Who's to say that the Goa'uld that impersonated Cronus just took on the persona of a god in an existing religion?

2. Cronus (GREEK) = Saturn (ROMAN)
Same reason as above.

3. Thus, Saturn was an alias of Cronus, a Goa'uld. This means that Cronus was worshipped as Saturn by the Romans.
Where is your proof that Saturn was a Goa'uld? For all we know, the Romans worshipped Saturn (who may have been an Ancient) and after the Ancients left, the religion was forgotten until Cronus/Goa'uld showed up to cater to the worshippers need for a god.

Therefore, Saturn could not have been a commander of the Ancients. What are you basing your findings on? What I was merely stating in previous posts was mere speculation. You haven't offered any proof to your argument.

Plus, you have no evidence from the behaviour of the gods nor the show (except the Road-Builder Thing).
Pure speculation, that was all. I never attempted to pass my post off as fact...

darkwarden
May 31st, 2004, 03:33 AM
Yeah, Positively Kanyon, you were just suggesting possible plot theories, you weren't trying to prove anything, there have been many errors thoughout the Stargate series that don't line up so there is nothing really preventing your idea from potentially occurring.