X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ben Browder in "Naught For Hire", a Noir Sci-Fi Romp

http://news.tubefilter.tv/2010/05/04...r-sci-fi-romp/

‘Naught For Hire’: Early Buzz for Noir Sci-Fi Romp

Tubefilter doesn’t often write about shows that have release dates far in the future. But every once in a while, a show comes along that has that little extra bit of oomph that gets us really excited and wanting to put the word out as soon as possible. Naught For Hire, a sci-fi/noir romp about a private detective and his relationship with the inanimate objects in his life, is one of those series.

Naught For Hire is created by screenwriter and producer Jeffrey Berman and produced by Berman’s production company RDRR Productions, which also created The Write Environment, which featured intimate interviews with a series of writers, the most popular episode featuring the fan-favorite, Joss Whedon. The series is based off a book of the same name by award winning writer, John E. Stith, who also co-writes on the series.

The series will consist of six minute episodes with a 13 episode season planned. Episodes echo the spirit of pulp-style serialized detective stories, with each episode ending on a cliffhanger. Not forgetting the sci-fi side of the series, the show is set in a world 20 years in the future where humans co-exist with A.I. embedded objects, leaving hard-boiled, down-on-his-luck Private Detective Nick Naught to try to do his job while competing with a car that is in love with him, an elevator that won’t cooperate, and an answering machine that wants to do nothing but pull pranks on him. Imagine what his gun must be like…

A lot of great talent is already on board, including SyFy star Ben Browder (Stargate SG-1, Farscape, for which he won two Saturns, the leading industry award given by the Academy of Science Fiction Fantasy & Horror films) in the title role as well as signing on as an Executive Producer of the series.

MORE AT LINK ABOVE

Lol. I think Ben is perfect for this kind of role. I can already picture it. Too bad they're not full-length episodes.
    - Life after Stargate -
    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
    sigpic

Comment

Sounds interesting, looking forward to it.

Maybe we'll get lucky and it will get picked up as a full fledged show like Sanctuary.
      sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Can't wait to see this -- the concept sounds really quirky and fun.
        Ben's take on noir detective is something I want to see.

More info at
        http://scifichick.com/2010/05/05/ben...ew-web-series/

The article includes some remarks by Ben and series creator Jeffrey Berman. Ben is the producer. Yay!
        Last edited by Zelda; 06 May 2010, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Why does it remind me of Teal'c PI?
          Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

I am quite excited for this one.... hope it get picked up as a 13-Episode Season... Ben Browder would deserve it...
            sigpic

Comment

Don't quite know why, but the whole thing sounds like the coolest thing ever. Ben Browder, Juliet Landau, quirky future AI's, noir, webseries... Awesomeness.
              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                http://news.tubefilter.tv/2010/05/04...r-sci-fi-romp/

‘Naught For Hire’: Early Buzz for Noir Sci-Fi Romp

Tubefilter doesn’t often write about shows that have release dates far in the future. But every once in a while, a show comes along that has that little extra bit of oomph that gets us really excited and wanting to put the word out as soon as possible. Naught For Hire, a sci-fi/noir romp about a private detective and his relationship with the inanimate objects in his life, is one of those series.

Naught For Hire is created by screenwriter and producer Jeffrey Berman and produced by Berman’s production company RDRR Productions, which also created The Write Environment, which featured intimate interviews with a series of writers, the most popular episode featuring the fan-favorite, Joss Whedon. The series is based off a book of the same name by award winning writer, John E. Stith, who also co-writes on the series.

The series will consist of six minute episodes with a 13 episode season planned. Episodes echo the spirit of pulp-style serialized detective stories, with each episode ending on a cliffhanger. Not forgetting the sci-fi side of the series, the show is set in a world 20 years in the future where humans co-exist with A.I. embedded objects, leaving hard-boiled, down-on-his-luck Private Detective Nick Naught to try to do his job while competing with a car that is in love with him, an elevator that won’t cooperate, and an answering machine that wants to do nothing but pull pranks on him. Imagine what his gun must be like…

A lot of great talent is already on board, including SyFy star Ben Browder (Stargate SG-1, Farscape, for which he won two Saturns, the leading industry award given by the Academy of Science Fiction Fantasy & Horror films) in the title role as well as signing on as an Executive Producer of the series.

MORE AT LINK ABOVE
                I'm a huge fan of crime noir so this sounds like it's right down my dark little alley
                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Naught for Hire producer Jeffrey Berman has posted an exclusive new official photograph of Nick Naught. You can find it at this link:
                  http://fb.me/Nnu3TvMS

Follow the Naught news at Naught PI Agency dot com. You can also follow on Facebook at: Naught for Hire, Naught PI Agency and Naught Stuff. Twitter fans can follow NaughtForHire and NaughtPIAgency

Comment

Looks good! I do hope this gets the go-ahead and that people outside the US will be able to see it legally, not always the case with webisodes...
                    sigpic

Comment

Has it even started yet?

Comment

Six minute episodes?

I'm always glad to see Ben get work though.
                        Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

Mmmh, me too.
                          sigpic

Comment

YAY!!!! I am exited for this!! Ben deserves it and frankly, it sounds really cool. I just hope that they can live up to the buzz
                            This isn't about love. This is about revenge....

Comment

Working...
                            X